Peter Manville, was born in 1843, Winesburg, Homes county, Ohio, came to county 1864. Farming, Stock Raiser and Fruit grower. His wife was born in 1848, Germany, they were married in 1869, in the county.
J. T. Mider, was born in 1849, West Union, Adams county, Ohio, came to county 1869. Farming and Fruit grower. His wife was born in 1857, in the county, they were married in 1876.
E. Moetinger, was born in 1825, in Wurtemburg Germany, came to county 1856. Farming and Fruit grower, has twelve acres of Vineyard and fifteen acres of Orchard; Peacher, Apples and Pears a specialty. His wife was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1837; they were married in 1849, in Louisville, Kentucky.
V. P. Moler, was born in 1811, in Rockbridge county, Virginia. Farming and Blacksmithing.
J. R. Moler, was born in 1840, in Rockbridge county, Virginia. Farming and Blacksmithing.
J. H. Morris, was born in 1838, in Jackson county, Missouri. Farming and Stock Raiser and Fruit grower. His wife was born in 1838, in Claiborne county Tennessee, they were married in 1860, Buchanna county, Missouri.
J. F. Paul, was born in 1829,in Bavaria Germany, came to county 1854. Was with James H. Lane in his free State campaign of 1857. Enlisted in 1862 in the Thirteenth Kansas infaantry. Discharged in 1863, on account of injuries received in service.
C. Poirier, was born in 1823, in Lons le Savmier, France, came to county 1854. Farmer and Fruit grower, has thirty acres of Graps and twenty-five acres of Orchard.
Louis Rullman, was born in 1825, in Geisznidda, Germany, came to county 1855. Farmer.
A. J. Selover, born in 1830, Tompkins county, New York, came to county 1857. Farming and Milling, Proprietor of Empire Mills.
E. V. Snively, was born in 1837, Boonboro, Marland, came to county1870. Dealer in all knids of Grain, Proprietor of Eagle Mills.
Frank Theriet, was born in 1830, in Lorraine, France, came to county 1857. Farmer and Stock Raiser and Fruit grower. His wife was born in 1841, Alsace, France, they were married in 1862.
J. C. Williams, was born in 1832, Washington county, Virginia, came to county 1857. Farmer and Stock Raiser.
I. Zeiser, was born in 1832, Wurtemburg, Germany, came to county 1861. General Merchandise and Proprietor of Billiard Hall.
The earliest settler was Peter Cadue, an interpreter for the Kickapoo Indians, who came not later than 1840 and left in 1847, going to the Cadue reserve. The Kickapoo chief Wathena located on the spot which afterward became the town site, and in 1852 his squaw built him a wigwam where the flour mills were afterward built. The land was sold in 1856 by S. Cox to Alilton Bryan, P. Alorse and W. Ritenbaugh, promoters of the town, for $750. Wathena was well paid for his
improvements. The first building was a log house erected in 1854 by Cox and M. E. Bryan. The first general store was opened by Thompson Kemper in 1856 and was called "The St. Joe Store." The first hotel was established by Albert Heath, who was also the first lawyer. The first druggist was G. ^Miller; the first hardware man, H. D. Hunt; the first tinner, D. B. Jones; the first blacksmith, F. Leber, and the first physicians were Drs. Smith and Crossfield. From the time the postoffice was established in 1854 with M. E. Bryan as postmaster, until the incorporation of the town in 1873 the place was called Bryan's postoffice. O. Craig was the first mayor and James Mitchell, city clerk. The first school house was built in 1857.