Monday, April 30, 2012

Killings of Coffey County Kansas.

September, 1857, Dr. Hamilton Smith, committed suicide at Ottumwa, with a shot gun.

In the fall of 1858, Alexander Hamilton killed John Haney, in a shooting affray at Le Roy. Hamilton was examined before a Justice's Court and acquitted.

July 20, 1860, Victor Moquett, shot through the head by a rifle ball and killed, on South Big Creek. The fatal shot was fired by Dr. William Brown. The parties were deer hunting alone. The doctor claimed that the killing was an accident, the ball having struck a large stone, from which it glanced and lodged in Moquett's head. No coroner's inquest was held, nor did the doctor have a legal examination.

October, 1860, William Shaw and E. A. Green, of Burlington, murdered by Osage Indians, at a camp on the Cimmeron River. In the camp were William Shaw, A. E. Green, A. G. Holland, Andrew Franklin, Jr., Austin Higley and Isaac Yingling, all of Coffey County. They left Burlington October 15, 1860, with two wagons, each drawn by a span of horses, a supply of forage and provisions, and three extra horses. They were on a buffalo hunt. When the camp was attacked, all escaped and fled to another camp of white men, twenty miles distant, except Shaw and Green. The escaped party returned the next day, with assistance, but found nothing but the dead body of Shaw, whose head had been severed from the body and placed upright on his breast. Green and all the property were missing, and were never heard of since.

June 10, 1861, Mary Wiley and her son William, aged about six years, murdered in bed, during the night. Their bodies were hacked to pieces. The murdered parties lived in a small house on the farm of John Johnson, about two miles west of Le Roy, south of the river. Mr. Johnson's family lived in another house, on the same farm. Mrs. Wiley was supposed to be a mistress of the senior Johnson. William Harrison Johnson and Wesley Johnson, sons of John Johnson, of mature years, were missing after the murder. They were indicted by the Grand Jury of Coffey County, on the charge of being the murderers, and Matilda Johnson was also indicted on the charge of an accessory after the fact. Matilda appeared before the October term of the court, was tried and acquitted. Her brothers did not appear, having never been seen after the murder. Shortly after the trial of Matilda, the whole family disappeared.

September 25, 1862, William Hamilton killed Addison Vandever, near Le Roy, during a fight between the two parties at a horse race. Hamilton struck Vandever a fatal blow on the head with a board. August 22, 1864, Hamilton was convicted of manslaughter in the third degree, and sentenced to an imprisonment of three months in the County Jail.

September 17, 1864, a negro named Sam, disemboweled, by a negro named Smith, during a drunken frolic at a dance at Nichols' farmhouse in Neosho Township, five miles south of Burlington. Smith was then shot through the head and killed by another negro. Sam died the next day. All of the surviving parties were brought before Ahijah Jones, Justice of the Peace at Le Roy, on Monday, August 19, but owing to his inability to disentangle the evidence, the matter was referred to the people, who ordered the entire mob to leave the county. The order was obeyed.

February 2, 1865, William Hastings, of Franklin County, murdered by an Indian named Wa-tee-chee, near Pottawatomie Creek, Coffey County. Hastings was riding in a lumber wagon when he was shot by the Indian, who approached on horseback, in the rear. Hastings, after he was shot, went to place his wallet, containing $500 in money, under a bag of corn, when his murderer fled, supposing Hastings was reaching for a pistol. Hastings drove two miles to a farmhouse, where he died the following night. Money was the motive for the murder but the murderer did not get it. Wa-tee-chee was hanged for this murder at Lawrence, January 19, 1866.

April 13, 1865, the wife of Sam Bull, colored, shot through the head and killed by a ball fired through the window from the outside at the house of her brother-in-law, Rufus, in Neosho Township. The murderer was supposed to be her husband, with whom she would not live.

November 25, 2865, Lewis Clark, a white man, shot a negro woman named Curry, on his farm, three miles northwest of Le Roy, and then fired a shot at her son, John. Mrs. Curry and her son were attempting to release some hogs, owned by them, which Clark had confined in an enclosure on his premises. John returned the fire, which instantly killed Clark, and then ran away. A party of men and boys from Le Roy hanged John's wife to a tree, with the expectation of extracting from her information of the whereabouts of her husband, but she stoutly denied any knowledge of his hiding place. She was released without material injury. The elder Mrs. Curry recovered from her wounds. John subsequently returned and is now a respected farmer, living with his wife near Ottumwa.

April 5, 1867, an infant son of John Russell, in Avon Township, killed by a fall from a rocking chair.

August 29, 1869, Wilson Hamilton, shot and killed by Jack Taylor, in Burlington, during a family quarrel. Both were colored. Taylor was convicted of manslaughter in the second degree and sent to the penitentiary, where he died before the expiration of his sentence.

September 30, 1871, Timothy Pearson, stabbed Joseph M. Vetetoe in the neck, with a knife, causing death, at Le Roy. Pearson was sent to the penitentiary, but was soon afterwards pardoned.

December 23, 1871, Stephen Brown, murdered Harvey Deaver, at the residence of the later, (sic) near Ottumwa. The murder was committed with a pistol. The murderer was sentenced to the penitentiary for ten years.

March 5, 1872, Alexander Louther, a bachelor, aged forty years, blew the top of his head off by a charge from a gun fired by his own hands, during a fit of insanity, at his residence, in Rock Creek Township.

March 11, 1872, Frank Fearl, aged about six years, shot and killed his mother, Mrs. Silas Fearl, with a self-cocking revolver, with which he was playing, at the family residence in Burlington.

November 25, 1872, George W. Beard, aged fourteen, committed suicide by hanging, on account of reproof from his mother for not watering some calves, on Spring Creek.

December 5, 1873, M. C. Dow, of California Township, killed by the accidental discharge of his own gun, near Halftree, while rabbit-hunting.

August 29, 1874, William McDonald shot and killed Michael Pointing, in Key West Township. Pointing was at the head of a party which had been organized for the purpose of stampeding a herd of Southern cattle, under the charge of McDonald. After firing the fatal shot McDonald fled, but was afterward arrested in Texas in the spring of 1878, by Sheriff J. M. Lane, and taken back to Coffey County. He was convicted of manslaughter in the second degree, at the June term of the District Court, and sentenced to the penitentiary for a term of twenty years.

January 29, 1876, Albert Wetherby, whose home was one mile south of Burlington, killed by the accidental discharge of his own gun, on Fall River, while returning home in company with James Martindale.

June 11, 1877, S. M. Hedges murdered George S. Cook with an ax, while the latter was asleep, at the residence of Mr. Coy, in Pottawatomie Township. Both had previously kept an auction store at Burlington, and were on their way to Wyandotte, Kansas, at the time of the murder. Hedges was convicted of murder in the second degree and committed to the penitentiary for a term of twenty-one years. He was subsequently pardoned.

September 1877, E. M. Sharp, living on Big Creek, Neosho Township, blew the top of his head off by the accidental discharge of his gun.

April 8, 1878, Charles Best shot and killed Patrick Mahan, in a saloon broil, at Burlington, during the night of the celebration over the completion to Burlington of the Kansas City, Burlington & Santa Fe Railroad. Best was convicted of manslaughter in the third degree and sentenced to imprisonment for six months in the jail of Greenwood County.

May 26, 1880, Elisha Baldwin, aged 15 years, son of J. M. Baldwin, killed by lightning on Turkey Creek.

July 25, 1881, Leonidas Goodall, killed by a fall from the top of a load of hay, in Star Township.

June 23, 1882, William Olds, killed by the accidental discharge of his revolver, at the William Crotty Crossing of Big Creek. The revolver fell from his pocket while he was putting his head in the creek and the contents were discharged by the hammer striking a stone.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Kansas Jails

The other night I was watching Mythbusters, and the myth was to break a prisoner out of jail by tring a rope a round the window cell bars then tring it to a horse then try to pull the window out.  But it couldn't be done.  They use a copy of a Kansas jail and it got me thinking of Kansas jails.  Now if you were to search Kansas jails on the inernet you will find all kinds of infomation on them.  I did some research and found some ineresting facts that you may not find on the net, at lest I found them interesting, I hope you do too.

Brown County Kansas.

1886, George H. Wheeler a prisoner in the Brown County jail annonce himself as a candidate for sheriff.

June 8, 1887, Joseph Beckman, suicides by hanging in the Horton jail.

November 28, 1887, A mob beraks open the jail door shortly after midnight, overpowers sheriff Brown, dragged Comodor True out and hung him in the court yard.

Cowley County Kansas.

During the summer of 1873, the city of Winfield built the present brick county jail, upon a lot donated to the city by the Winfield town association.  The jail cost the city the sum of $2,700., and was subsequently donated to the county.

Allen County Kansas.

In 1868, $10,000 in bonds were voted to build a jail and the stone struck is still in use, it was erected the following year 1869, at a cost of $8,400.  The jail is still in use today as a historical site.

Woodson County Kansas. 

The first case that appears on the docket of the District Court of Woodson County, as shown by the records , was filed September 9, 1854.  The title of the case was:  The State of Kansas against D. H. Miller, charge with breaking jail.  This note appears on the trail docket:  "Case continued on account of the absence of the defendant."


Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Law Men Of Different Kansas Counties.

This page will be of Marshals and Sheriffs of the different counties of Kansas, you will find these page interesting and you may learn something you never knew about you ancestor or the name of interest.

Bourbon County.

John G. Harris,Second Lieutenant Sixth Kansas Cavalry, Company K., Mustered in April 1, 1862,  Residence Neutral Lands, promoted First Lieutenant July 16, 1863; severly wounded in the neck in action, November 28, 1862, at Cane Hill Arkansas.

John G. Harris, First Lieutenant Sixth, Kansas Cavalry, Company K., Mustered in July 16, 1863; Residence Fort Scott, resigned for disability, Febuary 11, 1864.

John G. Harris, First Lieutenant Sixth, Kansas Cavalry, Company K., was badly wounded at Cane Hill, Arkansas, by a ball passing clear throught his neck.  He recovered and after the war became Sheriff on Bourbon county Kansas.

Brown County Kansas.

Chester G. Jones, the oldest son of Mr. amd Mrs. W. H. Jones, is the superintendent of Brown county poor farm.  He was a small boy when the journey was made from Michigan to Kansas, aand walked the whole distance driving cow behind the wagon.  He enlisted in company A., ninth Kansas Cavalry and was appointed a corporal.  He served four years and then re-enlisted .  After the war he returned to Brown County, where he has since resided.  He is a member of Hiawatha Post 130, G. A. R.  He has served as city marshal of Hiawatha and as superintendent of the poor farm since 1902.  He was married December 12, 1867, to Mary A. Carey, a daughter of Mr. R. B. Carey.  They have two sons, Charles C. Jones of Hamlin and Ben F. Jones.

Labette County Kansas.

When S. B. Abbott, the sheriff, completed the tax sale under peoceedings of 1877, he reported that he received $1,698.02, and his charges for fees and services were $2,008.48.  These charges were largly in excess of what the law autherized.  Suit was brought by the commissioners to recover from him fees which he illegally held.  The matter was finally settled by his paytng $802.62.

Leavenworth County Kansas.

On April 30, 1855, McCrea and Malcolm Clark, then marshal of the county, engaged in an altercation at a squatter's metting which resulted in the killing of Clark at the hands of McCrea.

Meade County Kansas.
Mr. & Mrs. J. S. Price.
Push on picture to enlarge.

Reno County Kansas.

The first military company of Reno was organized on August 12, 1873.  The reason was reports of Indian raids and the killing of some hunters near Medicine Lodge.  Charles Collins was at the time the first sheriff of the county, and was placed in command.

Marshall County Kansas.

In 1855, Alexander Clarke, the first sheriff had his official career ended very suddenly by being shot by a desperado, whom he was attempting to arrest.

Sedgwick County Kansas.

Richard L. Walker, who suceeded H. L. Taylor as registear, was prior to that time sheriff of Cowly County Kansas and held the office of registrar one full term, and was reappointed for a second term.  Then he had to fall by the wayside on account of Cleveland's election.  He was Captain of Company A., Nineteenth Ohio Infantry, and had a splended record as a soldier.  He removed from here and afterwards was United States Marshal, for the district of Kansas.  He was a jolly good fellow and counted a great politician, but has been gathered to his fathers many years ago in the prime of his vigorous life and manhood.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Richland Kansas.

This black and white photograph shows a group of people standing in front of businesses in Richland, Kansas. Founded in 1854, the town was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.
Date: Between 1880 and 1890.

Richland postoffice was established in the fall of 1856. W. C. Murray was the first Postmaster. R. O. Johnson was the first Justice of the Peace, and also first Trustee. The first schoolhouse was built on the northeast corner of Charles Matney's land. It was built of hewn logs, in the fall of 1857. 

Here is a list of some of the people around Richland.

MAJOR L. J. BEAM, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Richmond, owns 320 acres, about 200 acres enclosed, ninety acres under cultivation, one hundred in timber; raises general crops; has a fine place, good stone dwelling and fine orchard; has eight horses, twenty head of cattle, and twenty hogs. Was born in Ohio, March 8, 1839, and when eight years of age emigrated with his parents to Clinton, Ill., and came from there to Kansas in 1856, locating in Douglas County, and came to this farm in the spring of 1866. He was married August 13, 1866, to Miss Sarah F. Ray, a native of New York, whose father, Luke E. Ray, was a citizen of Missouri, in 1861, and barely escaped with his life to Kansas, bringing his family, but losing all his property, for his known Union sentiments. They have five children - Dolfo R., Bonnie M., Cora Lee, Florence M. and Rose. Major B. was one of the Free-state men in the early history of Kansas and in all the engagements of those early battles; was in the Cavalry under old John Brown, when they made the attack on Col. Treadwell's camp of Georgia; was under Captain Sam Walker, when he took Titus' Fort and was well acquainted with all the Free-state leaders; entered the service as Second Lieutenant of Company D, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, and was recruiting his company at Lawrence at the time of the Quantrell raid, but the day before had gone with a wagon to Leavenworth after arms for his men, and saw the smoke from the burning town, but thought it a prairie fire; had seventeen out of twenty-two of his men massacred; served with his company in all their campaigns, being promoted to First Lieutenant and Captain of his company and Major of the regiment. He was mustered out in October, 1865. Participated in Price's raid, where he acted as Adjutant General to General Blair. Resigned after four and one-half years service as Justice of the Peace, and has been on the School Board for fourteen years.

ALFRED A. DISNEY, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Richland, owns 200 acres; about 100 acres under cultivation and the rest in pasture and meadow; raises corn, wheat and oats; sod broken; spring of 1882 yielded forty-two bushel oats per acre; has seven head of horses, twenty-five head of cattle, twenty-five hogs. Mr. D. was born in Illinois, January 26, 1851, and came to Kansas with his parents when a child in 1855, locating on this farm; was married to Miss Clara Zircle, October 30, 1870. They have three children - Loran, Eli and Bertha. Mr. Disney is a member of the School Board, and has held that position for the past ten years; also held position of Township Clerk for four years, and is at this time Township Assessor, which he has been for four years; was in the State Militia during the Price raid on the border in a company commanded by his father, and participated in the Locust Grove Fight, when the company lost three killed, three taken prisoners and three wounded out of a total of twenty-three, the strength of the company.

DR. M. H. HOWARD, farmer and practicing physician, Section 33, P. O. Richland. Owns 200 acres, all enclosed, 100 under cultivation, four in timber, and the rest in pasture and meadow. Has a fine young orchard, and raises general crops; wheat averages thirty bushels and oats sixty; has six horses, thirty head of cattle and sixty hogs. He was born in Ohio, October 16, 1818; was educated as a physician in the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, taking his diploma in 1841. In 1843 he commenced the practice of medicine in Franklin County, Ind., and came from there to Kansas in 1857, and located in this township, and came to his present farm in April, 1880. He was married April 23, 1843, to Miss Isabel O'Harro; they have five children - Helen M., Marion, Flora Z., Hiram M. and Nelson C. He was in the Kansas State Militia during the Price raid, in Capt. Disney's company, and participated in the fight at Locust Grove, when they were overpowered. He tried to make his escape, but was ordered to surrender, which he did, and when he had surrendered one of the rebels rode up to him and said, "I will shoot you," which he did. The doctor threw up his arm and the ball struck it, going in below the elbow and passing out near the body, passed into the body, where it still resides. After night crawled to a house, and the next day came pretty near being killed by Union soldiers, who took him for a bushwacker, he being dressed as a citizen.

N. W. MINARD, carpenter, resides in Monmouth Township, Richland P. O. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1879, from Caldwell County, Mo., where he resided nine years engaged in farming and carpenter work. He was born August 24, 1836, in Harrison County, Ohio; resided there until he was of age, and learned his trade of his father. He was married January 7, 1858, at Mount Vernon, Knox Co., Ohio, to Miss Sarah J. Woodruff, of that place. They have eight children - Ida, now Mrs. Cole, of Loup City, Neb.; Emma F., now Mrs. Du Mars of Illinois; Osie C., Royal D., Naoma, Georgie, Effa and Edward. He enlisted, in the spring of 1862, at Mount Vernon, Ohio, in Company B, Ninety sixth Regiment; was with his command at the battles of Chickasaw Bluffs, Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, and Young's Point. He was captured at Bayou Lafouchla, in the fall of 1863, and held fifty-two days, and was paroled at New Orleans. He was mustered out at Mobile, Ala., June 1, 1865, and received his final discharge in July, 1865. He returned home, and moved to Cedar County, Iowa, remaining five years and then moved to Missouri. He is a member of the Lincoln Post, No. 1, G. A. R., and is a member of the United Brethren Church.

JOHN MOELLER, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Richland; owns 135 acres, about seventy acres cultivated, and the rest in timber, pasture and meadow; has six horses, thirty head of cattle and twenty hogs. He was born in Germany, November 13, 1842; came to the United States in October, 1864, locating in Illinois; moved to Atchison County, Mo. in 1867, and came from there to Kansas in January, 1869, renting a farm for one year in this township and located on this place in 1870. He was married August 31, 1868, to Miss Elizabeth Rupie. They have five children - Lena, Henry, Ida, William and Minnie; they are members of the Lutheran Church.

A. M. RIGGS, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Richland, owns 160 acres; about forty acres enclosed, and in cultivation and the rest in timber; has a fine orchard of choice fruit; has six horses, twelve head of cattle and ten hogs. Born in Rockcastle County, Ky., December 17, 1837, and when four years of age his parents emigrated to Missouri, locating in Andrew County, and to Jackson County, Mo., in 1852, and from there to Kansas in 1856, locating on this farm, which was pre-empted by his father who died January 10, 1866. In 1860 was engaged in freighting across the plains to Fort Union. Enlisted in March, 1864 in Company B, Ninth Kansas Cavalry, and was with his command at Little Rock and Duvall's Bluffs, and mustered out in August, 1865 at Leavenworth on general orders. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

H. M. ZIRKLE, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Richland; owns 125 acres, all enclosed; forty acres in cultivation, five acres in timber and the rest in pasture and meadow; his wheat averages twenty-eight bushels to the acre and oats fifty-two; has six horses, twenty-five head of cattle and six hogs. Was born in Shenandoah County, Virginia, May 3, 1843, and when a child his parents emigrate to Ohio and he came from there to Kansas in 1869, locating on present farm. Was married in November, 1863, to Miss Margaret Hullinger. They have six children - Elmer W., Ida E., Hattie B., Harvey E., Howard B., and baby not named. Has been on the School Board four terms, and has in his son, Harvey E., the limberest boy in Kansas.

WM. A. ZIRKLE, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Richland; owns 260 acres, all enclosed and 150 in cultivation, twenty in timber and the rest in pasture and meadow. Raises general crops, his wheat average per acre in 1882 is thirty bushels and oats forty-seven bushels; has comfortable frame dwelling, barn and out buildings; has seven horses, forty head of cattle and forty hogs. Was born in Shenandoah County, Virginia, in 1837, and when eight years of age emigrated with his parents to Ohio, where he remained until 1869, when he came to Kansas and located on his present farm. Was married in 1862 to Miss Susanna, Zirkle, a native of Ohio. They have eight boys and have never had sickness in their family and never paid a doctor bill.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Three Kansas Men In The 37th., Indiana Infantry.

The following three men were known to have been from the following towns.  I was unable to find any records that says it was so,, however their military information says it was so.  Maybe one of the ancestors can connect the dots.


Cherryvale was laid off as a town site, in May, 1871, by the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Kansas Railway Company, and is situated in the eastern part of Montgomery County, about ten miles east of the city of Independence. The land , upon which the place is built, was originally taken as a claim, by Joseph Wise. The first building erected upon the site was the Union Hotel, built by "General" Darr. The first store was started by C. A. Clotfelter and J. P. Baldwin, consisting of general merchandise. Stanfield and Brewer had a store about a mile north of the town site, which, when the town was laid out, they moved upon the site, and in 1872, sold out to Seth Paxton. The town had made some progress up to 1873, when a fire broke out, destroying the main business part of town. This had the effect to dishearten those of her unfortunate business men and to dampen the prospects of the town. But they were not men easily enduced to give up, and in the face of all discouragements, O. F. Carson and C. C. Kincaid began the erection of a brick business block, which was soon followed by other solid stone and brick houses. O. F. Carson began the drug business here in 1872. For some time the progress of the town was extremely slow, and, during a period of eight years, up to 1879, it had a population of only 250. During the last named year, the St. Louis, Wichita and Western Railroad was built, crossing the K. C., L. & S. K. road at this place. The narrow gauge railroad was constructed during this year, by the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad Company, leading from here to the coal fields in Cherokee County, and which was made a standard gauge road in October, 1882. It was, also, in 1879, that the K. C., L. & S. K. road was extended westward to the Arkansas River, and the piece of this road leading south to Coffeyville was afterwards operated as a branch. This gave the town a new impetus and its building became rapid as it had hitherto been slow. It now is a city numbering 1,400 inhabitants and a place of fine commercial importance, numbering many large and substantial business establishments. The place contains numerous solid brick business block and tastily constructed residences.

Civil War.

Record Series: Military Records
Collection: Civil War
County: Statewide
Referencenumber: CIV021919
Accession Number: 1938001
Party: Name Theodore F. Brown
Age: 19
Date Enrolled: 1862/10/30
Where Enrolled: Fairfield, Indiana
Regiment: 37
Company: B
Discharge Date: 1865/07/24

Arkansas City, the second city of the county, is located on the rolling peninsula between the Arkansas and Walnut Rivers, four miles from the south line of the county and twelve miles south of Winfield, the county seat. It was laid out in 1870, by T. R. Wilson, H. B. and G. H. Norton and others. From its earliest settlement, it has had a very large Indian Territory trade, and grown rapidly having in 1882 a population of 1,356. The name finally adopted is the fourth which has been given the place, Adelphi, Walnut City and Creswell having for a time been in use. The branch of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway reached this point on December 31, 1879, since which time the principal growth of the city has taken place.

The first building on the town site was the log house built by G. H. Norton and now occupied by Mrs. Gray. The second was the little frame next C. R. Sipes' hardware store; the third a frame house occupied as a grocery by L. Goodrich. The first general store was opened in 1870 by G. H. & H. Norton, who bought a stock of goods and began business in their cabin. Sipes about this time began business as did Houghton and McLaughlin. The first drug store was opened by Eddy & Keith; the first hotel by R. Woolsey, who also started a livery stable. H. D. Kellogg was the first physician, W. P. Hackney, the first attorney, and P. Beck the first blacksmith. In the spring of 1870, W. M. Sleeth set up a saw mill near where the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe depot now stands.

A post office was established at this point in April, 1870, and G. H. Norton appointed Postmaster. At that time the office was kept in the old log house which was the first building of the town, and is now occupied by Mrs. Gray. Mr. Norton was succeeded by M. J. Martin, A. D. Keith, M. Scott, W. B. Hughes and J. C. Topliff, the present incumbent, who took charge of the office on December 21, 1880. It was made a money order office in 1872, the first order being issued July 17 to A. D. Keith in favor of Church & Co., of Topeka. The office has been of a decidedly migratory character, and has occupied successively the old log house, the building now used by Bonsall as a photograph studio, the Goff & Milton Block, the Davis building, the Goff & Milton Block a second time, the store of Schiffbauer Brothers, the Harwood building, Chappel & Farrar's and the present room, which is the first which has been the property of the Postmaster.

Civil War.

Record Series: Military Records
Collection: Civil War
County: Statewide
Referencenumber: CIV210056
Accession Number: 1938001
Party: Name: James H. Wooley
Age: 19
Date Enrolled: 1861/09/18
Where Enrolled: Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Regiment: 37
Company: E
Notes: Veteran volunteer, Jan. 10, 1864. promoted to Sergeant. Transferred to detached 37th Regiment on Sept. 14, 1864.



Sterling In Sterling Township in May, 1872, William P. Edwards settled on Section 18, Township 21, Range 8, about three miles from Peace. At that time, What is now Sterling Township contained seven families, and on the town site of Peace A. G. Landis had his store building partly finished, which was the

only trace of civilization. Rev. J. B. Schlicter was a clerk in the store of Mr. Landis. Mr. Edwards, in 1876, said: "We have now a schoolhouse on section 18, and two weeks more of school will make a six months' school this season, with only one week's vacation, and this section has four families and twenty-two children living on it, and has furnished seventeen scholars from it who have been in regular attendance for the last term."

A prominent Friend, Rev. J. B. Schlicter, Congregationalist, and Rev. Thomas H. Watt, Wesleyan Methodist, were the locators of Peace.

April 18, 1876, at chambers, in the City of Marion Centre, Judge Samuel R. Peters issued a decree of court incorporating the City of Sterling, which decree Was published in the Rice County Gazette, and which declared: "Said town of Peace, in the County of Rice and State of Kansas, incorporated as a city of the third class, under the name and style of The City of Sterling, "and do hereby designate its metes and bounds as follows, to-wit: Section twenty-one (21) Township twenty-one (21) South, of Range eight (8) West, in Rice County, Kansas."

Civil War.

Record Series: Military Records
Collection: Civil War
County: Statewide
Referencenumber: CIV080461
Accession Number: 1938001
Party: Name Isaac N. Harrison
Age: 18
Date Enrolled: 1861/09/18
Where Enrolled: Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Regiment: 37
Company: K
Discharge Date: 1864/10/27

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Hill Kansas, First Hotel.

Although this page is on Spring Hill my main focus will be on the old hotel.  Those of you who been to my site before know how I like old buildings and old pictures.  So when I ran across this picture I couldn't pass it up.

The first settler in the township was James B. Hovey, who arrived at the present location of the town in March, 1857. About two weeks afterward, William Mavity arrived, and settled where the railroad depot now is. Immediately afterward, S. B. Myrick and E. F. Davis came in and took up the adjoining claims. J. B. Hovey and E. F. Davis became associated in holding the town site. The survey was made May 18, 1857, and the town named by Mr. Hovey, after Spring Hill near Mobile, Ala., a town considered by him one of the most beautiful he had ever seen. It was Mr. Hovey's opinion that Spring Hill, Kan., might be made to fully rival in beauty the older town in Alabama.

In the fall, Mr. Davis sold his interest in the town site to A. B. Simmons, William A. Jenkinson, and J. P. Lockey, and Mr. Hovey sold a portion of his interest to H. E. Brown, James McKoin, and Edwin Walker. In January, 1858, a town company was organized of the above named persons, J. B. Hovey elected President, and A. B. Simmons, Secretary.

The first farmer in the township was George Sprague, whose farm adjoins the north half of the town on the east. Mr. Sprague made the first improvements in the township, building the first good board fence, the first good barn, and the first good two-story frame dwelling. Mr. Sprague settled here in 1857. Quite a large number of others came into the settlement the same fall, among them, D. F. Dayton, James Sweeting, B. H. Stiles, W. G. Davidson, David Sprong, Hiram Mitchell, J. H. Jackson, Thomas Jenkinson, William Sowers, and W. R. Rutter.

The first building in the town was known as the Spring Hill Hotel, built by J. B. Hovey, in the summer of 1857. The postoffice was established in the fall, J. B. Hovey being appointed the first Postmaster.

The postoffic was establish on September 9, 1857.

In the spring of 1858, A. D. Richardson bought an interest in the town, being admitted on the same footing as if he had been an original member. During the same spring, the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized, a building erected which served the purposes of church and schoolhouse, and Rev. Richard P. Duvall became the first resident minister, L. B. Dennis the first presiding elder.

The first store was opened by W. G. Davidson, in the winter of 1857-58, the second in 1860, by a Mr. Prunty.

The first building in town was the hotel-house own by James B. Hovey, at the northeast corner of the public square.  A two-story frame known as the Spring Hill Hotel.  It was 30x40 and stood on one of the highest points in towm.

In 1874, James B. Hovey, wrote a letter and had this to say about his home in Spring Hill; "My house was used as a Hotel, Postoffice, Justice's office, Voting, Public mettings, Preaching, and just before the war for a store and stage stand. 

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Olathe's First Hotel.

Push on picture to read better.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Elias Briggs Baldwin.

Elias Briggs Baldwin, was born in Dutchess County New York, on June 17, 1834, and is the son of Jacob and Abigain ( Briggs ) Baldwin.  He attened the public schools at the academy at Red Creek, New York.  In 1854, at the age of twenty years, went to Rhode Island, where he attened the Providence Conference Seminary, and also studied medicine.  He taught school in Rhode Island and Connecticut and for a time worked as a bookkeeper in a wholesale grocery house.

In 1858, he went west to Aurora, Illinois, where he taught for five terms in the Clark's Seminary.  When the war broke out he enlisted April 13, 1861, and was elected Captain of company C., 36th., Illinois regiment Infantry, was mustered in August of 1861, in February of 1862,was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel of the 8th., Missouri Volunteer Cavalry.  He served as Provost Mashal, for the division until June of 1865, when his health failed.

Mr. Baldwin, married Julia C. Cramton, at Napekville, Illinois, September of 1861, Julia would died in Iowa in November of 1866, leaving three children; Evelyn B., Milton N., and Barton L. Baldwin.  Mr. Baldwin would marry for a second time, to Lydia A. ( Gibbs ) Baldwin, they were married on August 7 or 16, 1867, there was one child from this union, Edwin Miles Baldwin.
Elias Briggs Baldwin, would died on March 26, 1921, his burial was at Oswego Cemetery, Oswego, Labette County, Kansas.

Civil War Records.

Rank CPT
Company C
Unit 36 IL US INF
Age 27
Height 5' 8
Complexion LIGHT
Marital Status MARRIED
Occupation TEACHER
Nativity CLINTON, NY
Joined When APR 19, 1861
Joined By Whom
Period 3 YRS
Muster In SEP 23, 1861
Muster In Where AURORA, IL

Missouri 8th., Cavalry.

Field & Staff.
Enlisted: August 10, 62, at Springfield Missouri.
Mustered in same day and place.
Discharged per S. O. 170, June 24, 1863.

Monday, April 9, 2012

William C. Sweezey & Olivet Kansas.

Olivet Kansas.
Date taken unknown.

Map of Olivet Kansas.
Township 18 Southrange 15 East.
  The town of Olivet was started in 1869 by a company of Swedenborgians, among who were A.J. Bartels, Dr. W.C. Sweezey, Dr. J. Parker Ball, and T.B. and William Haslam. A mill was erected, also a church, school house, a good store, hotel and several dwelling houses; but the town soon seemed to be doomed to destruction. The mill was burned; the Haslams failed in business; a prairie fire swept over the town, and burned up a large number of the dwellings. The city was unable to pay its bonds which had been issued for city iprovements. The inhabitants abandoned the place. The city was sold for taxes, and the purchasers of the tax certifictes, when they came to pay the taxes for the succeeding years, found a bigger elephant on their hands than they bargained for, and in all but a name the city of Olivet has long since been snuffed out.

Olivet Post office open April 15, 1870, moved to Penfield in 1888.

Sweezey Farm.

One of the founding fathers was William C. Sweezey, a Physician and Surgeon, his office was in Olivet. He open a store in 1870. Mr. Sweezey came to the county in 1870. He was from Patchogue L. I. New York. Although he had his office in town he had a farm out side of town.

Civil War Record.
Party: Name: William C. Sweezey or Sweesey.
Age: 32.
Regiment: 140.
Date Enrolled: 1864/09/15.
Where Enrolled: Bennington, Indiana.
Company: B.
Discharge Date: 1864/11/12.
Notes: Discharge to accept commission. Primary Surgeon 11/12/64, Field and Staff. (SWAZY.)

Sunday, April 8, 2012

John F. Williams

John F. Williams.

Birth: Jun. 9, 1852, Vermont, Fulton County, Illinois.
Death: 1917, Carbondale, Osage County, Kansas.
Burial: Ridgeway Cemetery, Osage County, Kansas.

Wife: Maryette D. "Mary" Hanford Williams
Birth: 1838.
Death: 1926.
Burial: Ridgeway Cemetery, Osage County, Kansas.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

James William Falls.

James William Falls was born in Wayne county, Indiana, March 29th, 1839, and died at Neodesha, Kansas, March 11th, 1924.

Mr. Falls moved with his parents to Boonville, Illinois, when he was two years old. After the death of his mother, when he was eleven years old, he, with his father, and brothers, moved back to Indiana, where he made his home with his grandparents.

When the Civil war began in 1861, he left Bainbridge College to enlist as a private in the 57th Indiana Infantry. He was commissioned captain in 1863 and served throughout the period of the war.

He was married October 22nd, 1868, to Camellia Catherine Fisk at Greencastle, Indiana. They came to Kansas in 1869, and settled on a homestead near Altoona, where all their children were born and reared.

He had at the time of his death eight daughters; Mrs. Alta Crowder and Mrs. Kitty Southard, of Altoona; Mrs. Edith Mantieth, of Hoxie, Kansas; Mrs. Rena Seevers, of Sand Springs, Oklahoma; Mrs. Ellene James, of Sioux City, Iowa; Mrs. Pearl Nye, of Neodesha, Kansas; Mrs. Gwendolyn Baker, of Ashland, Kansas; Mrs. Olive Falls of Coffeyville, Kansas. He also had two brothers, John Robert Falls, of Sand Springs, Oklahoma, and Isaac Newton Falls, of Cambridge, Indiana; fourteen grandchildren and five great grandchildren.

Mr. Falls died suddenly while visiting his daughter, Mrs. John Nye, at Neodesha, Kansas. He had gotten up to go into an adjoining room for a drink of water, and suddenly fell to the floor, dead.

Civil War Records.

Record Series: Military Records
Collection: Civil War
County: Statewide
Referencenumber: CIV058745
Accession Number: 1938001
Party: Name James W. Falls
Age: 24
Date Enrolled: 1864/01/01
Where Enrolled: Blanes Cross Roads, Tennessee
Regiment: 57
Discharge Date:
Notes: Com. Sergt. Co. E. Sergt May 1, 1862. Capt. Co. E March 16, 1865.

Record Series: Military Records
Collection: Civil War
County: Statewide
Referencenumber: CIV058738
Accession Number: 1938001
Party: Name James W. Falls
Age: 22
Date Enrolled: 1861/10/14
Where Enrolled: Milton, Indiana
Regiment: 57
Company: E
Discharge Date: 1865/12/14
Notes: Mustered out at Victoria Texas. Capt. Mar. 17, 1865. Com. Sergt. May 1,1863. Veteran Jan. 1,1864; Com Sergt Jan. 1,1864. Nativity: Wayne Co., IN. - Farmer

Record Series: Military Records
Collection: Civil War
County: Statewide
Referencenumber: CIV058742
Accession Number: 1938001
Party: Name James W. Falls.
Age: 24
Date Enrolled:
Where Enrolled:
Regiment: 57
Company: I
Discharge Date:
Notes: Mustered in Nov. 18, 61. Transferred to NC. Staff Jan. 1, 1864. Vet Vol Feb. 12, 1864. Nativity: Wayne, IN. Farmer

Monday, April 2, 2012

Robert J. Alexander

Linn County Republic, Friday, Sept. 7, 1906.
Died: Sept. 2, 1906.


A large part of Mound City turned out Tuesday, to do honor to the memory of the late Robert J. Alexander, former businessman and farmer of this place. Mr. Alexander died at the home of his adopted daughter, Mrs. Beulah Flora near Waynoka, O. T., Sunday.

Mr. Alexander was born near Princeton, Ind., in 1832 where he lived with his parents until he was 21 years old, when he went to California with his sister and her husband sailing around Cape Horn. After remaining there about three years, he returned to Indiana.

Mr. Alexander was married in 1855, Miss Fannie Hollis becoming his wife. Four years later, he removed to Tazewell county, Illinois. During the Rebellion he enlisted in the Seventy-third Illinois infantry, serving for three years. He marched to the sea with Sherman, and was in the Stone River, and Knoxville campaigns.

In 1865, Mr. Alexander removed with his family to Mound City where he spent many years. He was engaged in farming and mercantile pursuits until 1893, when he removed to the place where he died.

The body was brought to Mound City, for burial, Tuesday. It was met at the station by the members of the G. A. R. to which he belonged. This same body had charge of the funeral service. The burial was made in the cemetery here, beside his wife, who died in 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Flora accompanied the body here. Besides them, Mr. Alexander leaves three grandchildren Roberta, Frank and Paul Flora. David Alexander, a brother of Elreno, O. T., was unable to be here.

The pall-bearers: J. J. Hawkins, B. B. Carbin, D. R. Lamoreau, O. P. Watson, H. H. Woy, and Robert Kincaid.

Birth: Aug. 16, 1832, Gibson County, Indiana.
Death: Sep. 2, 1906, Mound City, Linn County, Kansas.


John Alexander (1797 - 1854)
Virginia Devin Alexander (1803 - 1858)

Spouse: Francis Hollis Alexander (1836 - 1889)

Burial: Woodland Cemetery, Mound City, Linn County Kansas.

Civil War Card.

Robert J. Alexander, Sergeant, 73rd, Illinois Infantry, Company B., Residence Princeton, Enlisted July 19, 1862, Mustered in August 21. 1862.  Promoted to Quartermaster-Sergeant.

Rank SGT
Company B
Unit 73 IL US INF
Age 30
Height 5' 9
Complexion FAIR
Marital Status MARRIED
Occupation FARMER
Joined When JUL 19, 1862
Joined Where DELAVAN, IL
Joined By Whom CPT COLT
Period 3 YRS
Muster In AUG 21, 1862
Muster In Where CAMP BUTLER, IL

Company HQ
Unit 73 IL US INF
Age 30
Height 5' 9
Complexion FAIR
Marital Status MARRIED
Occupation FARMER
Muster Out JUN 12, 1865
Muster Out Where NASHVILLE, TN