Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mr. & Mrs. P. L. Woody

Push to enlarge.

Was born May 4, 1833, at Dahlonega, Georgia, removing to Platte county, Missouri, in 1866, and to Kansas in 1870, locating on the Snokomo, where he still resides. Was married July 4, 1856, in Lumpkin county, Georgia, ten children being born to this union. Though by no means a politician, Mr. Woody has always had a voice in the councils of his party, attested by his familiar presence at state and county conventions. He has been treasurer of Newbury township and for eighteen years has been a member of the school board. He has always been active in church work and has availed himself of every opportunity to advance any good cause that gave promise of the betterment of  his fellows.


Was born January 6, 1833, in Hebersham county, Georgia, and died of pneumonia, at the family home on the Snokomo, on January 8, 1901.  To make home happy was her constant endeavor; to minister to the sick and to care for the afflicted was with her a Christian duty that when- the Angel of Death should beckon, the spirit might find rest in that Home made without hands, eternal in the Heavens.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Michael Fix.

A story of a cold night in the Fix house.

It was a terrible night in the winter of 1861. The winds howled without and the fine particles of snow sifted through the clap board roof of the Michael Fix home on West branch. The war was going on
and Robert was away in the army having enlisted in an Indiana regiment, while one of the other brothers was with Kit Carson, in New Mexico.

In the Fix home there was but one room below and a half story above, but the one room was 14x22, a big house in those days. There was a stove at one end and a huge fireplace at the other. In cold weather it was the custom to replenish the fire one or more times during the night and when Mother Fix awoke the smoldering embers and the chilly atmosphere suggested to her that the duty of rebuilding the fire had been too long delayed.

There was a pile of wood in the corner nearby and she would get up and throw on a few sticks Michael was sound asleep and it would be cruel to wake him. But when that piercing "Wooh!" broke the stillness of the night Michael's snoring ceased and he sat bolt upright in bed, asking in a tone of anxiety: "What's the matter?"

But the faint, flickering light from the burning embers told the story. Prone on the floor lay a score of Indians of all ages and both sexes. On one of these the feet of Mrs. Fix had rested in getting up to rebuild the fire. But a familiar voice answered Mr. Fix's question.  "No hurtee. Indians cold. Heap storm outside."

A band of twenty Pottawatomies had been camped down by the creek (where the mill was built in 1872) and the storm of wind and snow had driven them out of their hastily constructed wigwams.
Many cold nights before they had enjoyed a good nap, wrapped in their blankets before the huge fireplace in the Fix cabin and when the storm burst upon them they didn't wait for an invitation to call again even at an unseemly hour. There was no lock on the door and the latch-string was out ” why awaken their pale-face friends from their slumber?

Thus the Indians had reasoned. They had for years looked upon the old mill site almost as their own. With each returning winter came the same band of Indians, always camping near the spot where the mill stood later on.

The Indians had many times eaten a hearty meal in the Fix home, but they were not beggars, by any means. Many a saddle of venison had been brought to the Fix cabin to partly compensate their friends
for the many kindnesses shown.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Kansas Regimental Bands.

There are a lot of people interested in musicians, so I thought it would be interesting to put some down.  But I was surprised to find that out of all the Kansas Regiment there were only two, Regimental Bands.  The First Kansas Volunteers Infantry and the First Brigade-First Divison-Army of the Frontier.  Now don't get me wrong every Company had there own Musicians, so there was plenty of musicians but only two Regimental Bands.

First Kansas Regimental Band.
Push pietures to enlarge.

Regimental Band of the Frontier.


Charles M. Rawings.
Mayor, Lyons, Kansas.
Push to enlarge.
CHARLES M. RAWLINGS, County Clerk, came to Sterling in 1876, where he became interested in the grocery business, and afterward in the land and loan business, until elected County Clerk in the fall of 1881. He moved to Lyons soon after and took charge of the office. He was born in Quakertown, Bucks Co., Pa., in 1842. His parents went to Bureau County, Ill., in 1850, in which state he was raised on a farm. Went to Livingston County, Ill., in 1854, and lived until 1862, and enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; participated in all the battles of his command and was captured near Goldsboro, N. C. in 1865; confined in Salisbury, N. C., until May 1, 1865. Was mustered out July 6, 1865, as a drummer boy. Went to Nashville, Tenn., in 1866, and became operator and agent for Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad until 1868, thence to Illinois; in the same capacity for the Chicago and Afton Railroad until he came to Kansas. In 1883 was elected Mayor of the City of Lyons by almost a unanimous vote, there being only four votes against him. He was married in 1868, to Miss Emma L. Ford, a native of Ohio. They have three children - Lou E., Willie A. and Frank E. He is a member of the Masonic order, I. O. O. F., K. of H., Meade Post, No. 14, G. A. R. and Lyons Cornet Band.

Civil War Card.

Rank: PVT.
Company: B.
Unit: 129 IL US INF.
Age: 19.
Height: 5' 6.
Hair: DARK.
Eyes: GRAY.
Complexion: LIGHT.
Marital Status: SINGLE.
Occupation: FARMER.
Joined When: AUG 12, 1862.
Joined Where: DWIGHT, IL.
Joined By Whom: S T WALKLEY.
Period: 3 YRS.
Muster In: SEP 8, 1862.
Muster In Where: PONTIAC, IL.
Muster Out: MAY 30, 1865.
Muster Out Where: SPRINGFIELD, IL.
Muster Out By Whom: CPT MONTGOMERY.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Stage Drivers from Kansas.

All these Stage Drivers, live in Kansas, although not all drove stages in Kansas.

Root, Frank A., author and publisher, was born at Binghampton, N. Y., July 3, 1837, son of Albert B. and Marinda (Boyden) Root. He was educated in the country schools of New York and Pennsylvania, and in his boyhood worked on a farm. He was later hod-carrier and stage driver in Pennsylvania. At the age of twenty he came to Kansas, where he worked first in the office of the Herald of Freedom at Lawrence, and in the latter '50s was local editor on the Quindaro Chindowan. When the Civil war broke out he was assistant postmaster at Atchison, and was prevented from enlisting by his resignation not being accepted. Early in 1863 he went on the overland stage line at Atchison as messenger; later was local agent in charge of the California mail at Latham station, Col.; was then traveling mail agent on the stage line, and made trips across the plains between the Missouri river and the Rocky mountains. On Oct. 21, 1864, he married Miss Emma Clark of Atchison, Kan.; was part owner of the Daily and Weekly Free-Press of that city from 1865 to 1869; part owner of the Waterville Telegraph in 1870-71, and one of the owners of the Seneca Courier 1871-72. In the latter year he became proprietor of the Holton Express; was postmaster at that place; was publisher of the Topeka Argus in 1876; of the North Topeka Times 1876 to 1880; was postmaster at North Topeka in the latter '70s; was one of the owners of the Review and the Review Press at Gunnison, Col., from 1880 till 1886, and from that time until 1893 was publisher of the Topeka Mail. He is the author of "The Overland Stage to California" (1901).

Ole Erickson Ladd, now deceased, was a prominent pioneer and highly respected citizen of Greenwood county. He was a native of Norway, born November 15, 1839, a son of Erick and Karen Ladd. He came to America with his parents in 1851, being then twelve years of age. The family located in Stoughton, Dane county, Wisconsin, where his parents resided until their deaths.  In the spring of 1857, when Ole E. Ladd was about eighteen years of age, he came to Kansas City, Mo., where he was employed as stage driver for nearly two years, between Kansas City and Leavenworth.

John J. Jenness in 1861 came to Kansas, locating first at Indianola. For two years he engaged in driving stage to Saint Mary's Mission, after which he followed the same occupation for another firm between Abilene and Junction City. In 1864 Mr. Jenness enlisted for 100 days' service in the Civil war, being stationed at Fort Leavenworth until the following fall, when he received an honorable discharge. Then at Junction City he sold goods at auction during the winter and for a short time was engaged in the saloon business at Wyandotte. At Lawrence, Kansas, he manufactured the brick which entered into the construction of the Eldridge Hotel, which replaced the hotel destroyed by Quantrell and his band. After that he was a stage driver from Lawrence to Topeka, later station agent at Pritchard, west of Salina, for the Overland Stage Company, and in 1866 was employed by that company to erect its stables.

ISAAC FRANKLIN ROSE at one time he was a stage driver from Caldwell, Kansas, to Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

Dec 23, 1921, Henry Hegwer, Pioneer, soldier, scout, Indian fighter, stage driver, buffalo hunter and business man died. Henry was an old time Chase County resident.

Flamboyant and colorful, Donald R. "Cannonball" Green (1839-1922) ran a stage line connecting the railroad to towns across southwestern Kansas. Green started his first stage service in Kingman in 1876. It ran through Pratt to Coldwater and later to Greensburg, a town he helped found in 1886.
Green's stage line served areas not reached by the railroad, and for a few years he also carried the mail from Wichita to Kingman. Known for their speed, Green's coaches were pulled by teams of six or eight horses which were changed every eight to ten miles. More than just a driver, Green was an advisor and teacher, sharing with passengers his knowledge of southwestern Kansas and the prairie landscape.

As the railroads advanced, Green moved his stage service west but stage demand soon dwindled. In 1898 he took a claim in Oklahoma Territory when the Cherokee Strip opened. Although Green also served in the Kansas legislature, he was best known for his stage route between Kingman and Greensburg, the Cannonball Highway, which became U.S. Highway 54.  Green died in Long Beach, California and is buried in Maple Grove Cemetery in Wichita.

Wild Bill" Hickok was a loyal friend, as I had many opportunities to prove. He came to Kansas in 1855 and became a stage driver on the Santa Fe Trail. As sharpshooter, scout, and spy for the Union army, he had many narrow escapes. He was captured several times and sentenced to be shot.

Robert Carleton Madden employed in farm work and as a driver for the S. W. Stage lines at various points between Wichita and Emporia.

Topeka Kansas, 1874-5.
Carter, M. A., driver with S. W. Stage and Omnibus Co., res e s Buchanan bet 7th and Eighth ave.
Clark, John, driver S. W. Stage Company, bds Capitol House.

Medicine Lodge, Earl Williams has for a long time been a driver on the Medicine Lodge and Kingman stage line.

Leavenworth City.
David Johns, Age 27.
Joseph Nicoles, Age 39.

Miami 1870.
Isaac L. Bounty, Age 33.

Lykens County, 1860.
Isaac Shaw, Age 22.

Sedgwick County, 1870.
Johns J. Palmer, Age 24.

Harper County, 1885.
William Pursell, Age none.

Osage County, 1865.
Jas. Sanders, Age 23.

Anderson County, 1870.
John Linn, Age 50.

Sedgwick County, 1875.
C. H. Miller, Age 24.
A. W. Terrill, Age 26.
F. Robinson, Age 23.
L. A. Brown, Age 32.
James Fahey, Age 40.
D. Patterson, Age 28.

Hillsboro Kansas.

Map 1885.
Push pietures to enlarge.
Hillsboro Kansas 1883.

Hillsboro, ten miles from Marion Center, on the Marion & McPherson Railroad, has J. F. Hay for its station agent; Christian Ramsier for its Postmaster. The town of Hillsboro was laid out on the north half of the southwest quarter of Section 34, Town 19, Range 4, June 24, 1879. Beebe's Addition to Hillsboro was laid out on the south half of the northwest quarter of Section 34, Town 19, Range 12, August 3, 1880 ; Kliever's Addition to Hillsboro is a recent enlargement of the town. The town is improving quite rapidly. Funk & Son opened up one of the best steam mills in the West, in April, 1882. It stands about thirty rods west of the station. Here are four grain shippers, two lumber dealers, two physicians, three hardware stores, four general stores, two blacksmith shops, two banks, one restaurant, one meat market, one drug store, one hotel, one furniture store. The Methodist Episcopal Church has an organization and there are several Mennonites in the town, also some German Catholics. Here is School District No. 82. The school building is a two story stone structure; W. P. Rife is the Principal. Prof. Burgdorph has a private German school; it is well patronized.

Hillsboro Kansas 1912.

Hillsboro, one of the thriving litttle cities of Marion county, is located in Risley township on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. and on French creek, 10 miles west of Marion, the county seat. The surrounding country is devoted to agriculture and stock raising. There are 2 banks, and all lines of business pursuits. Most of the people are German and the Hillsboro Journal, which is the weekly newspaper, is printed in that language. The town is supplied with express and telegraph offices and has an international money order postoffice with five rural routes. The population in 1910 was 1,134.  Hillsboro was laid out in 1879. In 1882 one of the best steam mills in the west was established here. The Phonograph, the first paper, was Started by J. T. Groat.

Businessmen of Hillsboro, Kansas, 1885.

Would War Roll Of Honor.

Marion County put out a book honoring the service men and women of the county.  It cover most of all the towns within the county. As this is about Hillsboro I will but up a few from the town.  There are hundreds of piectures in the book.  If you had a ancestor living within Marion County and would like to know if their in the book drop me a line and I will take a look.  

Friday, July 27, 2012

Sharon Springs Kansas.

Central Hotle.
Taken between the 1880's & 1890's.
Push to enlarge.

Sharon Springs, the county seat of Wallace county, is an incorporated city of the third class, located in Sharon Springs township on the Union Pacific R. R., 362 miles west of Topeka. It has a bank, a hotel,
all lines of retail establishments, a weekly newspaper (the Western Times), telegraph and express offices, and a money order postoffice. It is the trading point for a large area well adapted to agriculture and the raising of live stock. It was founded by the Western Town Site company in 1886, and is on the site of the old Eagle Tail station. The springs located here provided a never-failing supply of pure water, something not alwa3's available in western Kansas in those days. In platting the town, grounds for a court-house were set aside. By Jan., 1887, considerable of a town had sprung up. There was a bank, numerous retail establishments, and a newspaper called the Sharon Springs Leader was started on Jan. 1 by Joseph F. White. At that time this town was the trading center for 1,000 square miles of territory. It became temporary county seat in 1887 and was made county seat for five years by a special act of the legislature of that year. It became a city of the third class in July, 1890, and the first officers elected were : Mayor, J. M. Ericson ; police judge, C. B. Jones; treasurer, Oscar Felix; city attorney, William S. Black; marshal, H. T. Black; clerk, J. K. Laycock ; councilmen, Parmenis Smith, J. H. Eaberg, Lester Perry, H. H. Brown and August Anderson. The population in 1890 was 178, in 1900 it was 180 and in 1910 it had increased to 440.

Wallace County Businessmen, 1908.  Shows the businessmen of Sharon Springs.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Strong City Kansas

Wagon Depot Hotel, also known as the Old Bank Hotel.
Taken in the 1880's or 1890's.
Push to enlarge.

Strong City of 1901.

Strong City, one of the important towns of Chase county, is located on the north bank of the Cottonwood river at the junction of the main line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. with branches running to Abilene and Bazaar. It is about 2 miles from Cottonwood Falls, the county seat, with which it is connected by street cars. It has 2 hotels, a theater, 2 banks, a newspaper (the Herald) which is printed daily and weekly, and all lines of mercantile enterprise. The largest and best equipped stone quarry in the state, from which a fine grade of lime stone is quarried, is located in the vicinity. This is one of the most important stock markets in the state and some of the most extensive dealers in live stock in the state are permanently located here. Natural gas is used for heating, lighting and commercial purposes. The quarries furnish employment to hundreds of men. Strong City is supplied with telegraph and express offices and has an international money order post office. The population according to the census of 1910 was 762.

Strong City was founded in 1872 by the Cottonwood Town company and for a number of years went b\- that name. The Atchisdu. Topeka  & Santa Fe R. R. went through the county that year and the new town was located on the north side of the right-of-way. Inside of ten years from the date of its founding, Strong City was a thrifty little place and had some of the best business buildings in central Kansas. Banks had been organized and all lines of mercantile houses established. The first newspaper was established by R. M. Watson in 1880. It was an organ of the National labor party and was called the Independent. The Strong City bank was organized in 1882 with a capital of $100,000.  

Strong City Businessmen of 1901.

William Beanblossom, Dealer in Lumber, Lath, Shingles, Brick, Lime, Cement, Agaitie, Coal and Hardware.

J. A. Costello, Proprietor Livery, Feed and Sale Stable.

George W. Crum, Under Sheriff.

L. Franz, Wholesale and Retail, Dealer in Floor, Feed and Coal.

S. F. Jones, President, Strong City Bank.

Lantry B. & Sons, Railroad Contractors; also Ranchmen.  Hereford Cattle a specialty.

M. McDonald, Probate Judge.

J. C. Petty, Postmaster of Strong City.

Petty & Knapp, Dealers in Staple anf Fancy Groceries and Queenware.

Strong City of 1883.

Strong City was organized by the Cottonwood Town Company, D. L. Lakin, President, and Edward Wilder, Secretary, February 29, 1872. It is located on the east one-half of the southeast quarter of Section 17, Township 19, Range 8, and the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter (sic) of Section 17, Township 19, Range 8. Emslie's addition to Cottonwood was made May 9, 1879. Hon. David K. Cartter, John Emslie, E. A. Hildebrand, George O. Hildebrand and Richard Hoffman were the parties in interest. This addition was located north of the right of way of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, on the east one-half of the southeast quarter of Section 17, Township 19, Range 8, and on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 16, Township 19, Range 8. The railroad company completed their line of railroad through the county in the spring of 1872.

The county was fortunate in securing it without aiding it with railroad bonds. Cottonwood station, now Strong, is the objective railroad point in the county. Cottonwood Falls, the county-seat, had expected to be a main station on the road, but for certain reasons the road was directed from there for more than a mile to the northward, and Strong is a prosperous and rapidly growing city. In all directions around it are inexhaustible quarries of the best of building stone. Here are stone-crushers and stone-sawing establishments that furnish employment to hundreds of men. Here is one of the largest and most metropolitan structures in Central Kansas. It contains a bank, a city hall and D. C. Webb's famous store. S. F. Jones is President and E. A. Hildebrand is Cashier of the Strong City bank, which has a capital of $100,000.

The town has three general stores, three groceries, an extensive hardware store, a druggist, two physicians, two attorneys, two shoemakers, a livery, feed and sale stable, a milliner, a blacksmith, an auctioneer, a drayman, a carpenter and builder, a meat market, a well-driller, a tobacconist, keeper of a hotel and a restaurant. The town has the second best school building in the county, an excellent stone structure of ample proportions. There are in 1882 two teachers employed. The Strong City bank was chartered under State laws. The officers are: S. F. Jones, President; E. A. Hildebrand Cashier; the bank transacts a general banking business. It was organized in June, 1882, and began business July 1, 1882, capital $100,000. The approximate statement April 1, 1883, showed: loans and discounts, $57,000; deposits, $60,000. It has notes in circulation. Strong is a city of the third class. J. T. Dickeson is Mayor; J. J. Massey, Police Judge; A. W. Harris, City Attorney; E. A. Hildebrand, F. M. Jones, C. I. Moule, L. P. Santy and J. G. Winters, Councilmen.

Strong City Businessmen of 1883.

DAVID BIGGAM, farmer and railroad contractor, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, April 20, 1838. He came to the United States in 1859, locating at Leavenworth. For five years he was in the United States Government service, in the capacities of teamster and train- master. In 1864 he settled in Jefferson County, and bought a farm of 160 acres, which he operated for about ten years. Then, in March, 1875, he came to Chase County and bought a farm of eighty acres, situated in Diamond Creek Township, which he still owns. The same year he commenced business as a contractor, taking contracts for grading on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. He has since had contracts for grading nine miles of this railroad, besides several contracts for surfacing, raising track, ballasting, etc. He stands well in the esteem of the railroad company, and with the community in which he resides. He is a member of Zeredatha Lodge, No. 80, A., F. & A. M. He married Miss Mary Frasher, of Ayrshire, Scotland, December 31, 1857, and by this marriage has had nine children, of whom William, David Jr., James F., Joseph F. and Mary E. are now living.

ALFRED C. BURTON, general merchant , was born in Shelby County, Ill., March 8, 1860. When he was four years old his parents moved to Arcola, Douglas County, Ill., where his father engaged in the dry goods business. Here the subject of this sketch remained until 1876, when he went to Texas and engaged in clerking in a wholesale grocery establishment, remaining until the fall of 1878. He then went to Pueblo and engaged as a traveling salesman for a wholesale grocery for two years. In December, 1880, he came to Kansas, and in connection with his brother, George K. Burton, established the retail grocery business at Strong City. IN the fall of 1881 he bought the interest of his brother, and continued the business alone until March, 1883. He then connected with D. B. Berry of dry goods and clothing, boots and shoes, etc. They then removed to the fine new store building just completed by E. A. Hildebrand and D. Rettiger, on Cottonwood Avenue. They carry a large and well-selected stock of general merchandise, and have an extended business field. Mr. Burton is a member of Strong City Lodge, No. 110, A. O. U. W. He is unmarried. Although yet a young man, he possesses business ability and shrewdness of no mean order, and bids, ere many years, to make a name and fortune in so thriving and energetic a city as Strong.

JAMES T. DICKESON, agent of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., February 20, 1848. When he was six months old his parents removed to Davis County, Iowa. He remained there until after attaining his majority. He was brought up on a farm and followed farming until 1868. He then commenced his railroad career as an operator on the Des Moines Valley Railroad. He continued with this road about two years. He then engaged with the Missouri, Iowa & Nebraska Railroad, and held the position of agent at different stations on that line about five years. He came to Kansas in April, 1879. Four months later he accepted the position of agent of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad at Strong City. He still holds this position. Mr. Dickeson was elected Mayor of the city in 1881, and re-elected in 1882. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He married Miss Annie E. McGhee, of Ottumwa, Iowa, January 16, 1873, by which marriage he has had three children, of whom Bertie and Amabel are living.

JOHN EMSLIE, contractor and stone-cutter, also proprietor of the celebrated Cottonwood stone quarries and stone saw-mills, was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, August 14, 1823; emigrated to Canada in 1836, and came to the United States in 1862, and to Kansas the same year. In early life he learned the trade of stone mason, and followed it for years before he came to this country. His first work here was as a contractor for stone work on the eastern division of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, with headquarters at Leavenworth. He remained at Leavenworth, engaging in stone-quarrying and masonry until 1872, when he came to Chase County, having been awarded the contract for the stone and brick work of the court house at Cottonwood Falls. This building he completed in 1873, and it is considered the finest court house in the State, built of limestone from the celebrated Cottonwood quarries. Upon the completion of this contract he engaged in quarrying and shipping, and still continues supplying large quantities of stone, dressed, sawed and in the rough, for a large proportion of the most prominent public and private buildings in this State, also the States of Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa and Colorado; also furnishing large quantities of bridge stone for the A., T. & S. F. R. R.; F. S. & G. R. R.; K. C., St. Joe & C. B. R. R., and Missouri River bridge at Atchison. He has identified himself with the growth of the city ever since he located here, and has done much to advance the prosperity of the place, and furnishes employment to many men who have located here. Mr. Emslie is a member of the Presbyterian Church N. S. He married Miss Jane Sim, of Guelph, Canada, March 24, 1856. They have no children.

REDFORD W. FISK, M. D., was born June 22, 1846, in Ripley County, Ind. His grandfather, Abraham J. Fisk, was Captain of the Nineteenth Regular Infantry in the war of 1812, and received meritorious mention in letters to the then Acting Secretary of War, James Monroe, from Maj. - Gen. Brown, dated November 14, 1814. His father was an eminent physician, and also took a prominent part in the politics of Indiana. In 1857 he was elected to the State Senate by a large Democratic majority in a strong Whig district. He removed to Olney, Ill., in 1861, where he continued the practice of his profession until his death, July 18, 1874. Under the direction of his father, the subject of this sketch began the study of medicine at an early age, and enjoyed his thorough teaching for many years. His first practice was at Springfield, Mo., in 1871, where he remained over two years. Upon the failure of his father's health, in July, 1873, he returned to Illinois, and upon his death succeeded to his practice, and there remained until 1878. In June, 1878, he graduated from the Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio. In November, 1878, on account of his ill health, he removed to San Antonio, Texas, where he remained two years engaged in the stock business. In July, 1880, he came to Kansas with stock, and met and married Miss Noah L. Webb. Returning to Texas in December, the climate and surroundings not suiting his wife, he returned to Council Grove in July, 1881, and began the practice of his profession. In June, 1882, he removed to Strong City, Kansas, to superintend a large branch store for his father-in-law, Mr. D. C. Webb. Dr. Fisk, in addition to the management of this extensive business, continues to devote some of his attention to the practice of his profession. He is still a young man, active, ambitious and energetic in business, and generous in his social relations, enjoying the respect and esteem of those who come in contact with him. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He married Miss Noah L. Webb, of Council Grove, December 29, 1880.

HUGH HARVEY, druggist, Strong City, was born in County of Donegal, Ireland, and raised in Lanarkshire, Scotland. He came to the United States in 1867, locating first in Ritchie County, W. Va., where he remained about three years engaged in coal mining. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1871, locating in Morris County, where he engaged in farming and remained until October, 1881. He then removed to Strong City, and bought a drug store and stock. He has since been engaged in the drug business. His store is located upon Cottonwood Avenue, the main street in the city, and he carries a stock of drugs, paints and oils, notions and fancy goods. Mr. Harvey is a member of the Catholic Church. He married Miss Mary McCloskey, of Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1858. She died in February, 1882, after bearing him seven children, of whom Catharine T. (married to Mr. Charles T. White, of Osage City) and Rosanna are now living.

EDWARD A. HILDEBRAND, Cashier of Strong City Bank, also lumber, hardware and cattle dealer, of the firm of Hildebrand Brothers & Jones, was born at West Liberty, Logan Co., Ohio, December 13, 1849. He was educated in the common schools of his native county, where he resided until the spring of 1868, when he came to Kansas. After a residence at Leavenworth of only a few months he removed to Independence, Mo., and engaged in woolen manufacturing, in which business he continued until the spring of 1871, when he returned to Kansas and engaged in the lumber business at Strong City, where he has remained since. In 1876 his brother, George O., became interested with him in the business and the firm name was changed to Hildebrand Brothers. In 1878 they added the hardware business and in connection with the lumber and agricultural implement business, continued until June, 1882, when Mr. S. F. Jones took an interest in the firm, the name being changed to Hildebrand Brothers & Jones, and the business enlarged and extended. Upon the organization of the Strong City Bank in June, 1882, Mr. Hildebrand became its Cashier, which position he now holds. Though yet a young man he possesses a large business experience and great ability. He is a member of Emporia Commandery, No. 8, K. T., a member of Angola Lodge, No. 58, I. O. O. F. of Cottonwood Falls, and a member of Falls Lodge, No. 747, K. of H. He married Miss Lottie P. Oliver of St. Joseph, Mo., April 16, 1873, by whom he has three children, of whom Lillie M. and Charles E. are now living.
GEORGE O. HILDEBRAND, of the firm of Hildebrand Brothers & Jones, dealers in hardware, lumber and agricultural implements, grains and cattle, was born at West Liberty, Logan Co., Ohio, April 20, 1840. He spent his early life at this place, and here received his education. Before attaining his majority he engaged in the dry goods business and followed it until April, 1861. He then enlisted as a private in an independent company raised and commanded by Don Platt. Before leaving the State the company re-enlisted for three years and was designated as Company D, Thirteenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteers. It was assigned to the Western army under General Thomas, and upon the re-organization of the army formed part of the Fourteenth Corps. Mr. Hildebrand participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Stone River, Chattanooga, and in many skirmishes. He was mustered out at Columbus, Ohio, in July, 1864. He returned to West Liberty, Ohio, and re-engaged in the dry goods business at which he continued until 1871. He then went to Bellefontaine, Ohio, and remained a year; from this place he went to Minneapolis, Minn., and engaged in business with the Minneapolis Harvesting Company, with whom he continued until January, 1876, when he came to Kansas and located at Strong City. He then engaged in the lumber and agricultural implement business in connection with his brother under the firm name of Hildebrand Brothers. In 1879 they added the retail hardware business and continued until June, 1882, when Mr. S. F. Jones bought an interest in the firm, which has since been continued under the present name. The business was at this time enlarged and extended, until at present it is quite a power in Chase County, and is established upon a firm foundation of prosperity. Mr. Hildebrand is a member of the order of K. of P., the I. O. O. F., and the I. O .of R. M., belonging to Ohio lodges, not having as yet connected himself with the organizations in this State. He married Miss Ella S. Marsell of Nashville, Tenn., July 20, 1864, by whom he has two children - Alma and Katie M., both living.

CHARLES W. JONES, postmaster, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, January 19, 1849. He received a common school education in his native county. After attaining his majority he learned the trade of carpenter and engaged in the business as carpenter and builder. In February, 1878, he came to Kansas, locating at Strong City, where he has since resided. He engaged in business as a contractor and builder. He continued in this occupation until January, 1880, when he was appointed postmaster at Strong City. He took a prominent part in getting Strong incorporated and filled the office of Mayor, being the first Mayor Strong City. He then discontinued his business and entered upon his official duties and in connection with his office established a grocery store which he operated until January, 1882. He then disposed of it and put in a stock of books, stationery and notions. This business he now operates in connection with the office. He also takes some contracts for building. Mr. Jones is a member of the Fayette Lodge, No. 449, A., F. & A. M., and is a member of Strong City Lodge, No. 110, A. O. U. W. He married Miss Eliza Nicholas of Strong City, February 18, 1879, by whom he has two children - Charles G., born November 24, 1880; and Daisy May, born May 22, 1883.

FRANK M. JONES, M. D., physician and druggist, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, February 21, 1847. He was educated at Bloomsburg Academy, Fayette County. After attaining his majority he engaged in the publication of the News, in which he continued about two years at Washington Court House. The paper was then removed to Mount Sterling, Madison County, where he continued its publication about four months. He then sold it and returned to Washington Court House and began the study of medicine with Dr. C. A. Foster. In February, 1878, he came to Kansas, locating at Strong City, where he began the practice of medicine and engaged also in the drug business. In 1880 he went back to Ohio and attended the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, from which he graduated in March, 1881. He then returned to Strong City, where he has since resided, engaged in the active practice of his profession and in the drug business. Dr. Jones is a member of the order of A., F. & A. M, and of the order of K. of P., also a member of Strong City Lodge, No. 110, A. O. U. W., of which he is medical Examiner. His medical ability is unquestioned, and his practice is quite equal to his theory. The latter fact makes him a very popular physician in Strong City and vicinity. He married Miss Lucy A. Gray of Hamilton County, Ohio, November 17, 1870, by which marriage he had one child - now deceased.

STEPHEN F. JONES, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 6, Township 19, Range 8, also dealer in lumber and hardware, and President of the Strong City Bank, was born November 5, 1826, in Wilson County, Tenn., where he remained until after attaining his majority. In 1849 he went to Alabama and engaged on a cotton plantation, remaining one year. He then went to Texas and engaged in farming and stock- raising. His start in life was made in that State, where he remained eighteen years. In 1868 he removed to the Arkansas Valley, Southeastern Colorado, and was also here engaged in farming, stock- raising, dealing and shipping. His stock interests were very large and he was very successful in his business enterprises, amassing a large property. In 1878 he came to Kansas, locating on Fox Creek, in Falls Township, Chase County. He has since acquired land by different purchases to the amount of 7,000 acres which is the present extent of his farm. All his lands are enclosed with stone fence. He has about 300 acres under cultivation. His principal business is raising stock. He has in his herd thoroughbred Herford (sic), Galloway and Durham stock to a considerable number. His hogs are of the Berkshire and Poland China breeds. He also raises some horses and sheep. He has the best improved farm in Chase County. His improvements include a very find and commodious stone residence, a stone barn three stories high, and so arranged that a farm wagon can be driven into each story to unload grain, other stone farm buildings and an orchard of about five acres. In the summer of 1882 Mr. Jones bought an interest in the lumber and hardware business of Hildebrand Brothers at Strong City and the business has since been conducted under the firm name of Hildebrand Brothers & Jones. In June, 1882, he organized the Strong City Bank, of which he is the principal stockholder and the President. The bank has a capital of $100,000, and transacts a general banking business. Mr. Jones is recognized by all as one of the most "solid men" in Chase County, and he has done and is doing much to advance the prosperity of the young and ambitious Strong City. Mr. Jones married in Alabama, in November, 1849, Miss Louisa M. Barber of Tallapoosa County, by which marriage he has had five children, of whom Christiana A. and Louisa M. are living. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a member of the order of A., F. & A. M.

JOHN F. KIRK, merchant, Strong City, was born July 28, 1853, at Hamilton, Ontario. He received an academic education and before attaining his majority learned the trade of carriage-maker, which he followed several years. He came to the United States in 1874, locating at Dayton, Ohio, where he remained about two years, following his trade. He then removed to Woonsocket, Rhode Island, and engaged in business as a carriage manufacturer, remaining there about one year. He then returned to Dayton and remained another two years, then removed to Danville, Ill., whence he came to Kansas in the fall of 1882; located at Strong City and engaged in the grocery business, starting on a small scale in a store-room 20x22 feet. Mr. Kirk has within a year built up a large and prosperous business. Has greatly enlarged his store room and added to his stock of groceries a line of boots and shoes, glass and queensware and notions. He has purchased a lot on Cottonwood Avenue and has in process of erection a fine stone store building. The rapid development of his business is a good indication of what is to be accomplished in Kansas by industry, honest dealing and attention to business. Mr. Kirk is yet a young man, and with a good prospect before him, may confidently hope by the application of the qualities he has shown, to early rank with the leading merchants of Chase County. He married Miss Addie M. Gassett, of Woonsocket, R. I., September 21, 1876, by which marriage he has had three children, of whom Edwin H. and Hazel are living.

BARNEY LANTRY & SON, contractors and builders, railroad bridge masonry a specialty, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., August 10, 1833. At the age of seventeen he went to Rutland, Vermont, and learned the trade of a stone-cutter. In 1853 he removed to Madison, Wis., and followed his trade three years, then removed to Prairie Du Chien, Wis., and engaged in steamboating, and in railroad contracting in Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. His home was at Prairie Du Chien for twenty-two years, and in the summer of 1877 he came to Kansas, located at Strong City, and engaged in business as a contractor of railroad stone masonry, on the line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. He has extensive quarries of magnesian stone at Strong City and ships stone as far as Mexico, where he has a large contract on the Mexican Central R. R. Mr. Lantry also owns and operates a farm of 3,500 acres, situated on Fox Creek and the Cottonwood River, in Falls Township. His farm is enclosed by nineteen miles of stone fence. He has about 500 acres under cultivation. His principal crop is corn, but he also raises wheat and oats. He raises many cattle, sheep and hogs, paying special attention to the breeding of fine stock. Mr. Lantry owns considerable town property at Strong City, where his residence is also located, and he has done much to build up and improve the rapidly growing city. He is Democratic in politics, but is not an active politician. He married Miss Bridget Fogerty, of Rutland, Vermont, February 6, 1854, and by the marriage has had six children, four of whom are living, Henry E., Lizzie L., Charles J. and Nellie A. Mr. Lantry and his family are members of the Catholic Church.

CHARLES I. MAULE, general merchant, was born in Wayne County, Ind., March 26, 1846. His father died when he was a year old. Three years later his mother took him to Chester County, Pa., and bound him out to a farmer, with whom he continued until 1861. He then returned to Indiana. In October, 1863, he enlisted as a private in Company F., One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Regiment Indiana Volunteers. The regiment was assigned to the Twenty-third Army Corps, army of the Cumberland. Mr. Maule was afterwards promoted to Corporal and Sergeant, and participated in the battle of Buzzard's Roost, the campaign and siege of Atlanta, the battles of Pulaski, Spring Hill, Franklin, and the second battle of Nashville. The regiment then proceeded by land and water to Moorehead, North Carolina, and joined the army of General Sherman in its march through that State, and was afterward stationed at Charlotte and Greensboro, North Carolina. He mustered out at the latter place in October, 1865. Mr. Maule then started to obtain an education, having had poor opportunities for doing so in his youth. He afterward learned the trade of a plasterer, which he followed most of the time until he came to Kansas. In November, 1878, he located at Strong City and engaged in merchandising, which business he has since followed. He carries a large stock of dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, glass and queensware, etc. He does a large and prosperous business. Mr. Maule has been a member of the City Council of Strong City two years, and is now serving his second term as Mayor of the city. He also hold the office of Treasurer of Falls Township. Mr. Maule is a member of Angola Lodge, No. 58, I. O. O. F., a member of J. W. Geary Post, No. 15, G. A. R., and a member of Strong City Assembly, No. 2,578, Knights of Labor. He married Miss Mattie A. Stephenson, of Wayne County, Indiana, May, 1870, by which marriage he has had seven children, of whom George S., Frank K., Joseph V., Alexander G., Llewellyn and Mattie M. are living.

WILLIAM H. MOORE, deputy postmaster, was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, January 10, 1858. In 1872 he came to Kansas with his parents. His father located on Spring Creek, in Falls Township, and entered eighty acres of land under the Homestead Act. Upon this farm the subject of this sketch remained about four years, then began business for himself, engaging in cattle dealing. In 1880 he rented a farm, which he operated on season. In November, 1881, he came to Strong City and engaged in the grocery business with C. K. Nichols, under the firm name of Nichols & Moore. Six months later he sold his interest in the business to his partner and accepted the position of deputy postmaster, and with the exception of six months when he was engaged in the hardware establishment of Hildebrand Brothers & Jones, he has since filled. He has the whole management of the office, the postmaster being engaged in other business. He also has an interest in a hardware and agricultural implement business at Quenemo, Osage County, in connection with his brother-in-law, Mr. J. F. Kirker. Mr. Moore is a member of Strong City Lodge, No. 110, A. O. U. W. He married Miss Agnes A. Freeborn, of Chase County, July 23, 1879.

P. J. NORTON was born in Park County, Ind., January 31, 1853. Two years later his parents came to Kansas, locating in Shawnee County, where his father died in 1856. In the spring of 1859 his mother removed to Chase County, where the subject of this sketch has ever since resided, except during his absence at school. He received an academic education, and graduated from the St. Louis University in June, 1873. He then taught in the public schools of Chase County for two terms. In 1874 he was appointed Deputy County Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the District Court. In the fall of 1877 he was elected Clerk of the District Court, re-elected in 1879 and again in 1881, thus holding the office six years. During this time he studied law under Cogran & Carswell, attorneys at Cottonwood Falls, and in December, 1882, he was admitted to the bar by the District Court of Chase County, Judge S. R. Peters presiding. Retiring from office in January, 1883, he accepted the position of chief clerk in the office of Barney Lantry, Esq., extensive contractor of stone masonry at Strong City, which position he now holds. Mr. Norton is a member of the Catholic Church.

M. S. PETERSON, formerly merchant, but now engaged in painting for A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co., Topeka, residence Meriden, Kan. Came to Kansas in the fall of 1858, and located at Osawkie, where he remained about eight years, dealing in general merchandise, and drugs in connection with his father, who was a physician. Mr. Peterson was also postmaster. Removed to Oskaloosa, and remained about eight years, dealing in general merchandise and removed from there to Meriden, where he followed the same business, besides being postmaster, Justice of the Peace, and Notary Public. Went to Topeka in May, 1882, in the employ of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co., and May 29, while painting on a scaffold suspended a short distance from the ground, met with a severe accident, by the scaffold falling and breaking his leg, which will permanently disable him. Mr. Peterson was with the Fourth Kansas Militia in their pursuit of Price in 1864; and was captured at Hickman's Mills, Jackson Co., Mo., and taken to Newtonia, in southwestern Missouri, and paroled after eight days. He was born August 13, 1846, at Pleasant Unity, Westmoreland Co., Pa. Moved to Gettysburg, Ohio (sic), when three years old, and remained about two years, and moved to Robinson, Ill., stayed a short time and moved to Newton, where he remained about two years and moved back to Gettysburg. Removed to Pinkneyville, Ill., Shelbyville, Mo., and to Mount Vernon, Mo., and from thence to Kansas. He was married May 11, 1868, at Oskaloosa, Kan., to Miss Antonette Patrick, a native of California, and has two children - Mary B., and John M. Is a member of Eagle Lodge, No. 32, I. O. O. F., Oskaloosa, Kan., Meriden Lodge, No. 29, A. O. U. W., Meriden, Kan. Is also a member of First Methodist Episcopal Church, Topeka.

DAVID F. SHOLLY, general merchant, Strong City, was born in Union County, Pa., October 17, 1852. He was brought up on a farm, and received an academic education . Before attaining his majority, he began clerking in a store in new Berlin, Pa. In 1872 he removed to Three Rivers, Mich., and clerked in a store about six months, then returned to Pennsylvania, and clerked in a general store at Selina Grove, until he came to Kansas, in the spring of 1878. He located at Emporia, and clerked in the dry gods establishment of Sherman and Richardson, until January, 1880; he then established himself in the dry goods business, which he continued to operate until the spring of 1883, when he secured more store room and added a line of groceries, etc. He occupies a large and fine stone store room on Cottonwood Avenue, and carries a large and well-selected stock of dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, furnishing goods, groceries, crockery, glassware, etc. He has already secured a large trade, and is doing a prosperous business. He speaks both English and German, and finds the latter language of great benefit to him in his business.

R. M. WATSON and J. C. HILDEBRAND, editors and proprietors of the Strong City Independent, the second newspaper printed in Strong City; was established in August, 1881, by R. M. Watson, a practical printer and journalist of fifteen years experience. It continued Independent in politics until the heated campaign in the fall of that year, when it supported the Greenback candidates for the County Offices; since which time it has continued to espouse the Greenback case. The paper received the hearty support of the people, and its circulation increased rapidly. In the spring of 1883 J. Clarence Hildebrand, a journalist of some experience, purchased a half interest and became associate editor with Mr. Watson. The office was removed to more commodious quarters and new material added. The Independent is considered to-day one of the most prosperous county papers in the State.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

John F. Beckman &

Push to Enlarge.
JOHN F. BECKMAN, merchant, was born in Hanover, Germany, December 9, 1846. In 1863, he and his brother, C. W. Beckman, came to America, locating at Leavenworth, Kan. After passing a few years in a clerkship at Leavenworth, he engaged in the mercantile business on his own account, at Randolph, Kan., October 1, 1870. By close attention to business his trade rapidly increased, until, in 1879, he erected a spacious and commodious business house for his use. January 1, 1882, he took into partnership with himself, C. W. Beckman, under the firm name of John F. Beckman & Brother, and their business now ranks third in Riley County. He is a genial and cultured gentleman; a careful business man, and a good citizen. He belongs to the Masonic order, being a member of Farmers Lodge, No. 166, Randolph, Manhattan Chapter and Topeka Commandery. He was married, April 19, 1872, to Miss Anna Louisa Grall, of Randolph, and has apparently settled down into a permanent resident of this place. Birth: Dec. 9, 1846, Death: Mar. 29, 1910. Burial: Fancy Creek Randolph Cemetery, Randolph, Riley County, Kansas.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012


Push to enlarge.
JUDGE BURTON L. KINGSBURY was born in Bradford County, Pa., in 1832, and lived in his native State until he removed to Kansas in 1857. He was married in Burlington, Coffey Co., Kan., in July, 1860, to Miss Lucy A. Vince, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of A. H. Vince, one of the first settlers of Kansas. Mr. Kingsbury has five children -- Edward, Lizzie, Lucy, George and Emil. He has been Probate Judge of Coffey County for seven years and has been a member of the State Legislature of Kansas and Regent of the Agricultural College for five years and has been County Clerk of Coffey Count and Clerk of the District Court. Mr. Kingsbury is a member of the Masonic society and of the Episcopal Church.
Birth September 1822, death July24, 1904, buried Graceland Cemetery, Burlington, Coffey County, Kansas.

Monday, July 23, 2012

C. R. Barnes.

push to enlarge.
C. R. BARNES, miller, was born at Lowell, Mass., May 25, 1827, and was educated in the grammar schools of his native city. In 1852 he came into the western country, locating in Hebron, Wis., in the milling business and has been in the business ever since. In 1859 he removed to Manhattan, Kan., and built the Manhattan Mills, the eighth flour-mill in the State, and the first west of Topeka. In 1874 located at Clay Centre and built the Quaker City Mills, and in 1880 changed it to a gradual reduction mill, using both burrs and rolls; has a capacity of 110 barrels of flour per day, and runs up to its full capacity. Ships his product to Louisiana, Texas, California, and the whole South and West. Mr. Barnes is the real inventor of the brush machine for cleaning wheat. He was married January 1, 1852, at Lawrence, Mass., to Miss Esther L. Gower. Mrs. Barnes died in 1862, and Mr. Barnes was again married December 12, 1866, to Miss Ellen E. Knapp, of Manhattan, Kan. He has four children--Evangeline, born October 23, 1868; Adelbert B., born July 16, 1870; Neva Estelle, born January 1, 1878; and Walter K, born November 4, 1879.

Charles Higby.

Push to Enlarge.
CHARLES HIGBY, proprietor of Higby House. Among the pioneer hosts in eastern Kansas, there are but few, if any, who are more popularly known to the traveling public than Charles Higby. He is a native of New York, and was born in Lewis County, August 10, 1819. His father, Benjamin, was a New-Yorker, a miller by profession, and a part of the time pursued farming. His milling interests had been at West Flagg and Booneville. His mother, Hannah Crowfoot, was a native of Connecticut, as was also his grandfather Crowfoot. Charles learned the carpenter's trade, and engaged extensively in the manufacturing of cars, which he followed for sixteen years, doing business at different periods in New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. In 1857, came to Kansas, locating and pre- empting a farm near where Severance now is located. In 1861, traded his farm for a hotel in Troy and has since been before the public as a landlord. He is possessed of a splendid memory, has a keen perception pertaining to the ludicrous, and appreciates a good joke. He was married in 1845, to Miss Sarah Lombard, of Oswego County, N. Y.; by the union they have one son, O. W. Mr. H. is a member of the Masons, and a charter member of Troy Lodge.

TROY Kansas.

Push to enlarge.
Troy, the county seat of Doniphan county, is located a Httle east of Ihe center of the county at the junction of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, St. Joseph & Grand Island, and the Burlington & Missouri River railroads, and is 14 miles West of St. Joseph, Mo. It has a national and 2 state banks, an opera house, a flour mill, a newspaper (the Chief), and is a shipping point for live stock, grain, produce and fruits. There are telegraph and express offices and an international money order post-
office with six rural routes. The population in 1910 was 940.

Troy was located in 1855 by the county commissioners, who ordered James F. Forman to lay off 80 acres in town lots. This was done and a public square 300 feet each way was laid out in the center of town. The first house was built by Nelson Rodgers in 1856. The first store was opened in 1857 by Heed & Hampson, the first hotel was opened in that year by John Wilson, and the postoffice was established with Albert Heed, the first lawyer, as postmaster. The city was incorporated in 1860 by a special act of the legislature, which provided that the following men should be judges of election: S. D. Benight, Leonard Smith and John B. Brady. The election was held in March of that year and the following officers were chosen: Isaac Powers, mayor; W'illiam H. Trusdell, clerk. The first court-house was burned in 1867. The next year, after a little county seat war, another court-house was built. Two other fires have occurred in Troy, one in April, 1875, and the other Dec. 22, 1883, the latter destroying $20,000 worth of property. In 1867 a contract was made for completing the St. Joseph & Denver R. R. to Troy, but it was not built till three \'ears later. The first bank was established in 1870 by Henry and Louis Boder. Telephones were installed in 1885. In 1899 there was a fire which destroyed one-third of the business part of town.  The St. Joseph fire department came in time to save the other buildings
and the residences.

H. D. Shepard.

H. D. Shepard.
Mayor 1879.
Push to enlarge.
HON. H. D. SHEPARD, merchant. Also deals in agricultural implements, grain and hay, and is also interested in mining. Does the largest business of any dealer in the county. In the Burlingame store carries a stock of $20,000, and the sales will reach the enormous sum of $150,000. Also has a store in Eskridge, which carries a stock of $10,000. The hay trade will average $50,000 annually, and in 1881 shipped 495 cars of bailed hay from Burlingame and vicinity. Mr. Shepard is also interested in grain and cattle to some extent. He came to Kansas in 1858 and located at Wilmington. Continued in business there in a limited way until 1868, when he came to Burlingame. Was born in Middlesex County, Conn. May 1, 1838. Was married in 1865, at Burlingame, to Miss Daphne S. Dutton, a native of Vermont, and daughter of Father Dutton, a pioneer of Osage County, and has three children - Nellie, Alice and Emma. In 1865 Mr. Shepard was elected to a seat in the popular branch of the Legislature from Wabaunsee County, and re-elected the following year. Was a member of the Board of County Commissioners and Chairman a portion of the time. Was elected Mayor of Burlingame three terms. Served in the Osage County battalion during the threatened Price invasion of the State. Mr. Shepard is a man of enterprise and means, and has not only built up a large and growing business, but has displayed as much public spirit, and contributed as much toward the building up of his adopted city and county, as any man within its borders. His residence is one of the finest in the county. Is a member of A., F. & A. M. Order, and has stock in the Burlingame Union Agricultural Society  H. D. Shepard, was born May 1, 1838, died April 20, 1904.his wife Daphne S. Dutton was born January 9, 1847, and died March 10, 1925.  Both are buried in Burlingame Cemetery, Burlingame, Osage County Kansas.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

William F. Bailey


Buried in Le Roy Cemetery, Le Roy, Coffey Co., KS.

Died: Oct. 3, 1893.


BAILEY—At Le Roy, Kansas, October 3, 1893, William F. Bailey, Aged 52 years, 5 months and 25 days.

The deceased was born in London, England, April 8, 1841, and came to America at the age of 14 years. After residing for sometime in Canada, he removed to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he resided for more than ten years. He was married at Buffalo, New York, Oct. 19, 1865. In 1878 he moved with his family to Kansas and for the past dozen years he was a citizen of Le Roy. During the war he served his country well for 2 years and 9 months as a soldier, having enlisted in 1862 and being honorably discharged at the close of the war. In 1884 he joined the G. A. R. He was also a member of the present city council, an honorable citizen, respected by all who knew him, honest in his dealings and upright in his character and actions.

Such is the brief record of the deceased’s life as furnished to us by Rev. H. A. Cook who preached an interesting and appropriate sermon Wednesday afternoon at the M. E. church whence the remains were carried to his last resting place, followed by a large concourse of sympathizing neighbors and friends.

As the writer passed by the deceased’s place of business the morning after the death, and looked at the crape on the door, a little urchin walked by and shaking his head in a grave manner, said: “The best man in town is gone. He always attended to his own business.” The sentiments expressed by the little boy will be indorsed by every citizen of Le Roy. If Mr. Bailey had an enemy in all this country, we have not heard of him. His untimely taking off is sincerely mourned by everybody. He leaves a widow, two sons and one daughter, all grown and able to carry on the business in which he was engaged. They have the sympathy of the entire community.

William F. Bailey. Age 21.  Enlisted August 26, 1862, at Buffalo, Company M.  Discharged May 28. 1865, at Memphis Tennessee.

Friday, July 20, 2012

New York Soldiers, Reno County Kansas.

All these men are from Reno County Kansas and were living within the county in 1890, eached served in the New York regiments.  There were 88, men list, I was unable to list them all as some were not found on the rosters that were stated. There are many reason why they were not found; Rosters not up to date, transfrred to another company or regiment, or just bad spelling.

94th., Infantry.
BLODGETT, LUBERN W—Age, 18 years. Enlisted, October 18, 1861, at Wratertown, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. F, February 1.3, 1862; transferred to Co. D, March 11, 1863; discharged for disability, May 25, 1863, at New York city, as Labin W.

8th., Cavalry.
BOOTH, CHARLES M.— Age, 21 yeara Enlisted, October 21, 1861; at Oanandaigua; mustered in as private, Co. A, October 28, 1861, to serve three years; appointed corporal, July 3, 1862; sergeant, November 27, 1862; re-enlisted, December 1, 1863; captured, June 29, 1864, at Stony Creek Statioh, Va.; mustered out, June 27, 1865, with company, at Alexandria, Va.

60th., Infantry.
BROWN, JAMEIS.—Age, 37 years. Enrolled, .September 24,1861, at O'gdensburg, to serve three years; mustered in as first sergeant, Co. I, October 30, 1861; as second lieutenant, May 30, 1863; as first lieutenant, September 20, 1863; as captain, Go. B, November 29, 1864; mustered out with company, July 17, 1865, at Alexandria, Va.  Commissioned second lieutenant, July 23, 1863, with rank from May 30, 1863, vice C. T. Greene promoted; first lieutenant, October 6, 1863, with rank from September 20, 1863, vice H. Farrell discharged; captain, February 18, 1865, with rank from
November 22, 1864, vice O. M. Foote discharged.

94th., Infantry.
BROOKS, GEORGE B.—Private, Go. I, Ninety-seventh Infantry; transferred to Co. I, this regiment, August 9, 1864; mustered out with companv, July IS, 1865, near Washington, D. C.

1st., Engineers.
BOYD, BENJAMIN B.—Age, place and date of enlistment not stated; transferred as private, from One Hundred and Fortyfourth Infantry, to Co. G, this regiment, October 6,1864; mustered out, July 3, 1865, at Hilton Head, S. C.

142nd., Infantry.
CARPENTER, ORSON S.—Age, 19 years. Enlisted, August 29, 1802, at Bangor, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. D, September 29, 1802; promoted corporal prior to April, 1863; wounded in action, May 10, 1864, at Drewry's Bluff, Va., and September 29, 1804, at Chaffin's Farm, Va.; returned to ranks, no date; promoted corporal, January 20, 1805; mustered •out with company, June 7, 1805, at Raleigh, N. C.; also borne as Orson F.

75th., Infantry.
CALDWELL, JOHN G.—Age, 18 years. Enlisted, October 4, 1861, at Locke, to serve three years; inustered in as private, Co. A, November 26, 1861; re-enlisted as a veteran, January 1, 1864; mustered out with company, August 31, 1S65, at Savannah, Ga.

118th., Infantry.
CHEESEMAN, JOHN.—Age, 33 years. Enlisted, August 12, 1862, at Pittsburgh, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. I, August 29, .1862; died of dysentery, October 8, 1864, at Altona, N. Y.

41st., Infantry.
GONROE, ISRAEL.—Age, 21 years. Enlisted at Tarrytown, to serve three years, and mustered in as private Co. E, November 2, 1863; mustered out with company, December 9, 1865, at City Point, Va.

16th., Infantry.
ELLIOTT, GEORGE B.— Age, 20 years. Enlisted, May 7, 1861, at De Peyster; mustered in as private, Co. G, May 15, 1801, to serve two years; promoted corporal, February 1, 1803; mustered
out with company, May 22, 1803, at Albany, N. Y.

95th., Infantry.
GRANSBURY, JOHN M. (W?)—Age, 18 years. Enlisted at Norwich, to serve one year, and mustered in as private, Co. A, September 6, 1861; mustered out, with detachment, May 31, 1865, near
Washington, D. C.

8th., Cavalry.
GIBBS, WILLIAM (E?).—Age, 17 years. Enlisted, March 9, 1865, at Auburn; mustered in as private, Co. C, March 9, 1865, to , serve one year; mustered out, June 27,1865, at Alexandria, Va.

14th Artillery.
HILL, HARRISON A.—Age, IS years. Enlisted, December 30, 1803, at Clayton; mustered in as private, Co. M, .January 5, 1804, to serve three years; wounded. June 17, 1804; promoted corporal, date not stated; sergeant, August 8, 1865; mustered out with company, August 20, 1805, at: Washington, D. C.

37th., Infantry.
MOONEY, RICHARD M.—Age, 25 years. Enlisted, May 9, 1861, at New York city, to serve two years; mustered in as private, Co. E, June 6, 1861; mustered out with company, June 22, 1863, at New York city.

77th., Infantry.
MURRY, CHARLES H.—Age, 20 years. Enlisted at Charlton, to serve three years, and mustered in as private, Co. H, October 12, 1861; wounded in action, May 3, 1863, at Chancellorsville, Va.; transferred to Yeteran Reserve Corps, January 15, 1864.

9th., Cavalry.
MALL1CK or MALICK, JACKSON A.—Age, 23 years. Enlisted, November 7, 1861, at North East, Pa.; mustered in as private, Co. I, November 7, 1861, to serve three years; re-enlisted, January 31, 1861; appointed corporal, June 17, 1861; sergeant, May 1, 1865; mustered out with company, July 17, 1865, at Cloud's Mills, Va.

186th., Infantry.
PERKINS, JOHN.—Age, 40 years.. Enlisted, August 29, 1864, at Martinsburgh, to serve one year; mustered in as private, Oo. F, September 8, 1864; promoted corporal, no date; mustered out with company, June 2, 1865, near Alexandria, Va.

79th., Infantry.
Pearson, William,-Age 23 years, Enlisted May 13, 1861, at New York City, to serve three years; Mustered in as Private, Co. F, May 27, 1861; Promoted Corporal, November 15, 1862; Mustered out with company May 31, 1864, at New York City.

160th., Infantry.
STIGGINS, J. THOMAS.—Age, 22 years. Enlisted,- August 22, 1862, at Marion, to serve there years; mustered in as private, Co. D, November 21, 1862; transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps, August 15, 1864.

107th., Infantry.
STOCKING, HENEY.—Age, 37 years. Enlisted at Elmira, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. G, July 31, 1862; wounded in action, May 25, 1864, at Dallas, Ga.; mustered out with company, June 5, 1865, near Washington, D. C.

97th., Infantry.
WINSOR, DAVID.-—Age, 19 years. Enlisted,. .September 28, 1861, at High Market, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. B, September 30, 1861; wounded in action, September 17, 1862, at Antietam, Md., and July, 1863, at Gettysburg, Pa.; re-enlisted as a veteran and promoted corporal, February 9, 1864; again wounded in action, May 5, 1§64, at the Wilderness, Va,; mustered out with detachment,- June 10, 1865, near Washington, D.C, as Windsor.

97th., Infantry.
WINSOR, GEORGE R.—Age, 21 years. Enlisted, October 20, 1861, at West Turin, to serve tbree years; mustered in as private,. Co. B, September 30, 1861; re-enlisted as a veteran, January 4,1861, and promoted corporal; sergeant, October 30, 1861; mustered out with company, July 18, 1865, near Washington, D. C.; also borne as Windsor.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Bloomington Guards.

Bloomington, a village of Osborne county, is a station on the division of the Missouri Pacific R. R. that runs from Downs to Stockton, 5 miles west of Osborne, the county seat. It has a money order postoffice with one rural route, telephone connections, a hotel, some general stores, telegraph and express offices, and does some shipping. The population in 1910 was 88.

Bloomington Guards.   An old map of Kansas shows the town of Bloomington about 7 or 8 miles up the Wakarusa river from Lawrence.  Among the early settlers in that neighborhood was Samuel Walker, who, with others, arrived in April, 1855. In his "annals" Mr. Walker tells how, about six weeks after the settlers had made a beginning, he was working on his cabin one day, when some 150 border ruffians under the leadership of Samuel J. Jones, afterward sheriff of Douglas county, rode into the settlement and gave Walker two weeks to leave the territory. Mr. Walker then tells the story of the Bloomington Guards, as follows :

As soon as the Missourians were out of sight, I dropped my ax and started around the settlement to let my friends know what was up. I traveled all night afoot, and the next day 86 men met at my cabin. We
organized ourselves into a military company, calling it the 'Bloomington Guards,' and choosing for it the following officers : Captain, Mr. Read ; first lieutenant, Mr. Vermilya; second lieutenant, Dr. Miller; and myself first sergeant. This was the first company organized in Kansas." For a time Judge Wakefield acted as drill master. As the company was without arms, a levy was made and Capt. Read went to Massachusetts for a supply of Sharp's rifles. He never returned to Kansas, but in Dec, 1855, he sent to Walker 80 Sharp's rifles, the arms arriving just in time for the company to march to Lawrence when that place was threatened by an invasion of the pro-slavery forces.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Kansas Towns Starting With The Letter A.

Aleppo, a small hamlet of Sedgwick county, is situated about 15 miles west of Wichita, the county seat, and 5 miles northwest of Goddard, from which place the inhabitants receive mail by rural free delivery. Goddard is the most convenient railroad station.  Postoffice opened May 26, 1891 and ran to December 14, 1903.

Alida, a little village of Geary county, is in Smoky Hill township, and is a station on the Union Pacific R. R., 8 miles west of Junction City, the county seat. It has a money order postoffice, a telegraph office, and is a trading and shipping point for that section of the county. The population in 1910 was 48.   Post office was established in Davis county and moved to Geary county, opened June 13, 1870 and ran to April 15, 1939.

America City, a hamlet of Nemaha county, is located in Red Vermillion township on the Red Vermillion river, 23 miles south of Seneca, the county seat, and 6 miles from Havensville. from which place they receives daily mail. An act incorporating this little town was approved by the territorial legislature on Feb. 14, 1867. The corporate limits included 380 acres of land. A store was opened in 1861 and a Methodist church built. In 1910 it reported a population of 30.  Post office opened June 12, 1860 and ran to February 15, 1923.

Angelas, a village of Solomon township, Sheridan county, is situated on the Saline river, about 20 miles southwest of Hoxie, the county seat It is a rural postofifice, with a population of 30, and is a trading center  for that part of the county. Campus and Grinnell, on the LTnion Pacific,  are the nearest railroad stations.

Anness, a money order postqfifice of Sedgwick county, is in Erie township, some 30 miles southwest of Wichita and not far from the Sumner county line. It is a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa
Fe R. R., that runs from Wichita to Englewood, has a grain elevator, an express office, and through its retail stores supplies the people of that section with staple articles. The population was reported as 70
in 1910.  Post office was moved from Kalamazoo to Anness, opened February 25, 1887 and ran to January 31, 1952.

Antelope, a small village of Marion county, is located in Clear Creek township, and is a station on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R., 7 miles northeast of Marion, the county seat. It has a money order postofifice, express and telegraph offices, and although the population was only 53 in 1910 it has a good retail trade and does some shipping.  Post office opened July 25, 1870 and ran to June 20, 1988.

Antonino, a post-village of Ellis county, is situated in the Smoky Hill valley about 8 miles soirthwest of Hays, the county seat. It is a small hamlet and receives mail tri-weekly. Hays is the most convenient railroad station.  Post office opened May 7, 1905 and ran to February 6, 1984.

Antrim, a small hamlet of Stafford county, is within a short distance of the Pratt county line, about 8 miles south of St. John, the county seat and most convenient railroad station, from which mail is
received by rural free delivery.  Postoffice was established in Pratt county, moved to Antrim, opened July 10, 1887 and ran to February 14, 1906.

Aral, a little hamlet of Butler county, is about 20 miles southwest of Eldorado, the county seat, and 3 miles from Rose Hill, from which place mail is received by rural free delivery.  Post office opened April 7, 1880 and ran to September 30, 1902.

Arispie, a hamlet of Pottawatomie county, is located 9 miles east of Westmoreland, the county seat, and 7 miles southwest of Onaga, from which place it receives daily mail.  Post office opened June 2, 1871 and ran to June 29, 1895, closed and reopened August 15, 1895 and ran to February 28, 1903.

Arkalon, an international money order postoffice of Seward county, is situated in Fargo township at the point where the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R. crosses the Cimarron river, 13 miles northeast of Liberal, the county seat. Although the population is small, Arkalon is an important shipping point, especially for grain and live stock.  Postoffice opened May 7, 1888 and ran to november 15, 1929.

Arnold, a money order postoffice of Ness county, is a station on the Missouri Pacific R. R., in Ohio township, about 15 miles northwest of Ness City, the county seat. It has an express office and is a
shipping and supply point for that part of the county in which it is located. In 1910 it had a population of 75.  Post office opened June 7, 1902 and ran to ?

Arrington, a village of Atchison county, is situated in the southwest corner on the Leavenworth, Kansas & Western railroad, about 25 miles southwest of Atchison. It is the supply and shipping point for a considerable territory, has a money order postoffice, express and telegraph  facilities, several general stores, a school, and in 1910 had a population of 210.  Post office opened June 24, 1862 and ran to March 20, 1868.  The town was first called Arrington, the name was changed to Arington, Post office reopened November 30, 1868 and ran to September 15, 1879.

Ashcroft, a hamlet of Jefferson county, is near the northern boundary on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., about 4 miles from Valley Falls, and 12 miles from Oskaloosa, the county seat. It is supplied with mail by rural route from Nortonville.  Post office opened June 29, 1898 and ran to December 20, 1900.

Asherville, one of the thriving little towns of Mitchell county, is located on the Solomon river and on the Union Pacific R. R. in Asherville township, 10 miles southeast of Beloit. It has a money order post
office with one rural route, telegraph and express offices. The population in 1910 was 125. Asherville was the first postoffice in the county and also had the first store, established in 1867, by Hon. John Rees.  Post office opened November 15, 1869 and ran to March 28, 1980.

Ash Valley, a rural hamlet of Pawnee count}-, is in the township of the same name, in Ash creek valley, about 12 miles northwest of Larned, the county seat, with which it is connected by stage, and from which it receives mail.  Post office opened June 11, 1877 and ran to August 15, 1908.  Closed and was reopened May 15, 1922 and ran to January 15, 1941.

Atwater, a rural post-hamlet of Meade county, is located on a little tributary of Crooked creek, about 13 miles south of Meade, the county seat and most convenient railroad station.  Post office opened May 1, 1888 and ran to May 31, 1895, closed and was reopen December 9, 1905 and ran to May 15, 1912.

Aulne, a money order postoffice of Marion county, is in Wilson township, and is a station on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R. 6 miles south of Marion, the county seat. It has a good local trade, does considerable shipping, and in 1910 reported a population of 150.  Post office opened August 19, 1887 and ran to February 28, 1954.

Austin, a station on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas R. R., in Neosho county, is located in Canville township, 11 miles northwest of Erie, the county seat, and 4 miles from Chanute from whence it receives mail daily by rural delivery.  Post office opened January 17, 1870 and ran to August 16, 1870, closed and was reopen October 22, 1874 and ran to November 30, 1895, closed and was reopen April 1, 1896 and ran to September 14, 1905.

Avery, a rural hamlet of Reno county, is situated on Peace creek, about 20 miles northwest of Hutchinson, the county seat. The inhabitants receive mail by rural free delivery from Sterling, Rice county, which is the nearest railroad station.  Post office opened February 16, 1885 and ran to July 31, 1901.

Avoca, a hamlet of Jackson county, is located near the west line of the county, II miles southwest of Holton, the county seat. It receives its mail from Soldier.  Post office opened January 31, 1871 and ran to May 31, 1907.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Red Stone P. O., Kansas.

push to enlarge.
Red Stone was one of those Post offices that was for the most part just a drop off point.  There is little said in the history of Cloud County, about Red Stone only that it was in Lawrence Township.
The Post office opened August 24, 1869 and ran to September 6, 1887, the first appointed Post master was Tobias Shaffer.

Farmers and Stock Raisers from 1885, who used Red Stone as their P. O., address

W. C. Bramwell, from Illinois, came to county, 1870.
L. V. Bedard, from Canada, came to county, 1873.
Timothy Bedard, from Canada, came to county, 1880.
S. Farnam, from Wisconsin, came to county, 1871.
J. W. Uglow, from England, came to county, 1872.
C. H. Glasby, from England, came to county, 1872.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Old Time Kansas Stage Driver, Con Smith.

Push to enlarge.
Con Smith a pioneer stage driver of the Overland stage was Con Smith, who resided for many years near Irving. Smith once drove from Boonville to Tipton, Missouri. Later, he drove on the Butterfield stage line from Ft. Smith, Arkansas, to Sherman, Texas.

In 1861 he came to St. Joseph and drove for Holladay. His drive was from Guittard's station to Hollenherg. the first station west of Marysville. In 1862 he enlisted in Company H, Seventh Kansas and served until 1865, when he again entered the employ of Holladay and drove until he finally "threw down the lines'' and began farming. A man of sterling integrity and great physical courage, he was a well respected citizen of this county.

Seventh Kansas Cavalry Company H.

Con Smith, Private, Residence Leavenworth, Enlisted September 28, 1861, Mustered in same.  Promoted to Farrier.  Discharged and re-enlisted as a veteran, January 1, 1864, Mustered in same.    Mustered out with with regiment September 29, 1865.

Marysville, Marshall County, Kansas, 1880, Census.

Name:Con Smith
Residence:Marysville, Marshall, Kansas
Birthplace:Virginia, United States
Relationship to Head:Self
Spouse's Name:Katie J. Smith
Spouse's Birthplace:Ohio, United States
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:Scotland
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:England
Race or Color (Expanded):White
Ethnicity (Standardized):American
Martial Status:Married
Age (Expanded):45 years
NARA Film Number:T9-0388
Page Character:A
Entry Number:153
Film number:1254388
SELF Con Smith M45 Virginia, United States
WIFE Katie J. SmithF30 Ohio, United States
SON Frank SmithM9 Illinois, United States
DAU Nellie SmithF7 Kansas, United States
DAU Alice M. SmithF5 Kansas, United States
DAU Jenny SmithF3 Kansas, United States
SON Parry SmithM4M Kansas, United States