Push to enlarge.
comes from the world famous Joplin-Galena district, 6 brick and tile plants, iron works, glass plant, implement factory, oil refinery, foundry, machine shops, shovel factory, grain elevators, flour mills, planing mills, creamery, ice and cold storage plant, etc. The city also has 2 daily and weekly newspapers (the Republican and the Journal), a well equipped fire department, an electric light and power plant, churches, lodges and schools, and good banking facilities. Cherryvale is connected with Independence and with Coffe^'ville by an electric interurban railway. It is supplied with telegraph and express offices and has an international money order postoffice with 6 rural routes. The population in 1910 was 4,304.
The town was laid out in 1871 by the Kansas City, Lawrence & Southern Kansas Railway company. The first building was the Grand Hotel erected by a Mr. Darr. The first store was opened by C. A. Clotfelter and J. P. Baldwin. A number of business enterprises had been established by 1873, when the town was swept by fire. The buildings were later replaced b}- brick structures, but the growth of the town was slow until 1879, when a large increase in the railroad mileage in this section of the country opened up the avenue of trade. The first church organization was effected in 1871 and the first school was taught in 1873 by Miss Mary Greenfield.
Cherryvale was incorporated as a city of the third class in 1880. The first election was held in April of that year and the following officers chosen; mayor, C. C. Kincaid ; police judge, A. Wood; councilmen, A. Buch, J. M. Richardson, Frank Bellchamber, J. A. Handley and A. V. McCormick. At the first meeting of the council, the following officers were appointed: treasurer, A. Palp; clerk, M. F. Wood; marshal, J. C. Cunningham; street commissioner, B. F. Hinds.
In 1889 bonds to the amount of $5,000 were voted for use in prospecting for coal. Gas was found instead of coal and later oil was discovered. There are at present 31 gas wells in the vicinity from which the total output is 160,000,000 cubic feet of gas per day, the largest well producing 11,000,000 cubic feet. It is said to be the largest gas well in the state. Cherryvale has a live commercial club, which is doing a great deal to promote the general prosperity of the town.
Cherryvale Postoffice open August 24, 1894 throught ?
FRANK ADAMS, ticket and freight agent of the K., C. L. & S. K. R. R. Co., was born at Humboldt, Allen Co., Kan, March 18, 1860. He attended school until he was sixteen years old, and then began railroading, first as telegraph operator, since then as railroad agent at several points, being frontier agent for the L., L. & G. R. R. Co. during the construction of the road from Independence to Winfield. After serving as agent at Grenola, Lawrence and Olathe, he came to Cherryvale, in November, 1882. He is one of the most popular agents in the employ of the company. He is a member of the Kansas Benevolent Association.
CHARLES L. BERRY, banker and merchant, is a native of Mount Pleasant, Henry Co., Iowa, born September 1, 1852. In 1853 his parents removed with their family to Kentucky. Lived there until 1855. From that time until 1872 he resided in Tennessee. March 9, 1872, he came to Bourbon County, Kas.; was a student at Xenia, in that county, for one year; worked at blacksmithing at Garnett seven months, then at Central City two years. Returning to Garnett, he taught school there for a period of four years. Represented D. Appleton & Co. in Anderson County for the sale of school books, etc.; afterward in boot and shoe and tire insurance business at Garnett until September, 1881,when he came to came to Cherryvale: a member of the firm of Smith & Berry, merchants. Was proprietor of the firm until August 11, 1882, at which time he succeeded the firm, continuing the business in his own name until May 15, 1883. The firm of C. L. Berry & Co., proprietors of the Citizens' Bank of Cherryvale was organized May 15, 1883, James Y. Finley, of Osage Township, Labette Co., being associated with him the business. Mr. B. was married in Allen County, Kas., October 9, 1873, to Annie E. Lanter, a native of Union County, Ohio. They have three children - Vida E., Iva T. and Elsie C. Mr. Berry is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and First Presbyterian Church. When he came to Cherryvale there was no Presbyterian organization in the city, and to his personal efforts much credit is due for building up a vigorous church society, and securing the erection of a beautiful house of worship. Mr. B. is a self-made manin every sense of the word. Went with his brother-in-law, Mr. Kuhn, at the age of fifteen, to learn the blacksmith trade. Served his full term of apprenticeship out, leaving with the credit of being a first-class workman. Received but very little education until he was in his twentieth year, the schools of the South having been demoralized by the war.
C. W. BOOTH, proprietor livery and omnibus line, is a native of Randolph, Portage County, Ohio, born January 3, 1850. He lived there until the spring of 1861, when parents, with their family, removed to Berrien County, Mich. He removed from there to Kas., being one of the pioneer settlers of Cherry Township, Montgomery Co., locating on northeast quarter Section 15, where he resided until 1871, when he came to Cherryvale, working in hotels, and various occupations. In 1872 he engaged in the livery business, which be still continues. He has served several years as Constable, and is now serving third year as Deputy-Sheriff. He is a member of the A., F. &. A. M. He is yet engaged in agricultural pursuits on the farm where he first located. He was married at Cherryvale January 24, 1875, to Miss Addie Atherton, a native of Kankakee County, Ill. They have one son - Walter. Mr. B. is son of Gerry M. and Salomi (Hine) Booth, both natives of Connecticut, now a resident of Berrien Township, Berrien Co., Mich.
JOSEPH H. BUTLER, hardware merchant, was born near North English, Keokuk Co., Iowa, November, 1854, living there until September, 1868, when he came to Kansas with his parents, Thomas H. and Nancy Butler. They located at Osage Mission, Neosho Co., where he lived until November, 1882, when he came to Cherryvale, continuing in the hardware business here, having been engaged in the same trade at Osage Mission over two years prior to locating here. He was married at Osage Mission, August 4, 1879, to Katie G. Joyce, a native of New York. They have one child - Mary Edith. Mr. Butler's mother died in 1871, and his father now resides in Topeka, he being claim agent of the A., T. &. S. F. R. R. Co.
HON. O. F. CARSON, hardware merchant, was born at Wasburn, Woodford Co., Ill., August 29, 1844. He was engaged in the drug business at Minonk, Ill., at twenty years of age, and was afterward in the dry goods trade, remaining in Woodford County until 1869, when he came Kansas, locating in Centreville Township, Neosho County. A year later he went to Ladore, and in September, 1871, came to Cherryvale. He had been engaged in the drug business at Galesburg, Kan., and Ladore, and came here and continued the same until 1880, although he had been interested in hardware and agricultural business for several years prior to that date, being associated with his present partner, J. R. Baldwin, first in the implement trade, and later, adding a stock of hardware to their business. They are also largely interested in city and other real estate. Mr. Carson also owns a fine stock farm of 400 acres in Mound Valley Township, Labette County. He has on that place at the present time about fifty head of well bred cattle, and is gradually improving his herd. The hardware and implement trade of Carson & Baldwin amounted to over $40,000 in 1882. Mr. Carson is a prominent member of the Baptist Church, and of the A., F. & A. M., being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Commandery, and Eastern Star, a branch of the Masonic order. When Mr. Carson located here there were no drug stores in the place, and for a period of three years he had the only store of the kind in Cherryvale; now there are four large drug establishments here. Mr. Carson was the first Notary Public at this point, and has continued to hold a notarial commission for the last twelve years. In 1876 he was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, and he is now serving his second term as Alderman of the city of Cherryvale. He was married at Ottawa, Kan., August 16, 1870, to Alice A. Newman; born October 23, 1851; a native of Morgan County, Ill. They have two children living - O. F. Carson. jr., born December 5, 1875; and Alice Eugene, born December 12, 1879. Lost one daughter, Ella Maud, who died September 25, 1873, aged 13 months and 5 days. Mr. Carson's grandfather, John Carson, was born August 15, 1798, and died March 1, 1839. Grandmother, Sally Carson was born June 4, 1795; she died December 3, 1874, Father, Isaac W. Carson was born April 20, 1810; still living. Mother, Mary B. [Sweet] Carson was born February 1, 1813; died in 1881.
R. S. CATES, loan agent, is a native of Fairbury, Livingston Co., Ill. Born July 26, 1848. When he was seventeen years of age he made a wagon trip with his parents from Illinois to Oregon, consuming five months making the journey. Attended school for a while after they located in Oregon, and was then on a farm with his father for a period of four years, when his father died. He then, in connection with his brothers, ran the farm until July, 1873, when he was elected to the office of Clerk of the Fifth Judicial District, and County Clerk of Union County, serving two terms - four years. After thirteen years' residence in Oregon he came to Kansas in July, 1878, locating on a claim in Kingman County, removing his family there in March of the ensuing year. Soon after going to that county he became the representative of the well known firm of S. L. Davidson & Co., of Wichita, making loans and attending to their business in that region of the State. In August, 1881, at their request the removed to Cherryvale, having had entire control of their extensive business in Eastern Kansas since locating here, the capitalists he represents reposing the utmost confidence in his judgment and integrity. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married at Carthage, Mo., December 7, 1870, to Amanda Virginia, daughter of Rev. Levi Hess. She was born in Rockingham County, Va. September 6, 1851. They have four children - Levi S., Ogle C., Robert L. and Elles E. Mr. Cates' father - Spencer Cates - was born in Hart County, KY., July 9, 1815, and died March 16, 1869, and was one of the pioneers of Livingston County, Ill. His mother - Phebe Cunningham Cates - was born in Clark County. Ind., December 4, 1813. She is now living with her son, John A., in Union County, Ore. Mr. Cates has four brothers and one sister, all residents of Oregon. Elles E. being editor and proprietor of the Mountain Sentinel published at Union.
E. B. CLARK, lumber and agricultural implements and grain, was born in Stephentown, Rensselear Co., N. Y., in 1838. When eight years of age his parents settled in Hinsdale, Berkshire Co., Mass., where he remained ten years, receiving his education at the Hinsdale Academy, under I. N. Lincoln. He then engaged in teaching in Clarkson, Monroe Co., N. Y.,then taught at Marshall, Mich.; he then emigrated to Illinois, and for two years was engaged in the mercantile business at Ashton, Lee County, emigrating to Montgomery County, Kan., in 1869, locating a claim near the present cite[sic] of Cherryvale. There were but two houses on the prairie, and Fort Scott, seventy miles distant, was the nearest railroad point. From the time of his settlement until 1875 he was engaged in farming and stock raising; after which he bought out the ordinary lumber business in Cherryvale, and also engaged in the grain trade to which he has since added farm implements, and has increased his business over 200 percent. Besides his large city business he is carrying on a large farm of 700 acres, 250 acres of which is under cultivation. The place is stocked with 500 sheep and fifty head of cattle; also owns ten tenement houses, and is one of the most enterprising men in the place. He has always taken an active part in all public enterprises which would benefit the town. He was Chairman of the Committee which interceded for the extension of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad from Oswego to Wichita, and took an active part in procuring the right of way for the Ft. Scott & Gulf Railroad from Big Hill Creek to Cherryvale. He has served eight months as a member of the City Council and is at present acting as Mayor. He is also an active member of the Masonic Order, being initiated by Hampden Lodge of Springfield, Mass., where his mother now lives, owning a fine property on S. Main St.
C. A. CLOTFELTER, proprietor of livery stable and omnibus line, was born in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., September 23, 1843, came to Kansas in June 1855, with his mother. They located where Mound City, Linn County, is now situated. He lived there until 1866, when he went to Montana Territory, engaging in freighting between Fort Benton and Helena running two teams with light freight and passenger wagons between those points till April, 1871. He then returned to Kansas and located at Elk City, Montgomery County, remaining there till July of the same year, when he came to Cherryvale. He was engaged in the mercantile business here till January, 1873, when he engaged in his present business in partnership with C. W. Booth, who has been interested with him ever since. When they began business they only had seven horses, one top buggy and one open buggy, and one spring wagon. They now keep thirty-nine horses and about twenty carriages, omnibuses and other vehicles. They have no competition at this point. They have recently started a stable at Chautauqua Springs. Mr. C. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. He served four years as Deputy-Sheriff and also held the office of Constable. He was married in Osage Township, Labette Co., Kan., October 8, 1872, to Sarah J. Browning, a native of Vermillion Co., Ind. They have two children, Carlton and Carrie.
ALFRED DICUS, grain and lumber dealer, was born in Butler Co., Pa., near Emlington, June, 1853 lived in Geneseo, Ill., until late in 1855, afterwards in Lee County, Iowa, for three years, and in Callaway County, Mo., from that time until 1872, when he went to St. Louis, there attending Commercial College and learning the grain business. In October, 1876, he came to Kansas and located at Independence. Since coming to Kansas he has been identified with the grain business, and for the last year also in the lumber business, associated with his brother. He is a member of the K. of P.
F. P. DICUS, lumber and grain dealer, was born near Emlington, Venango Co., Pa., December 30, 1837. In 1854 he removed to Geneseo, Ill., and remained there about one year, then three years in Lee County, Iowa. His home was in Callaway County, Mo., from 1858 to 1870. He served for three years as a non-commissioned officer in Company C, Seventh Missouri Militia Cavalry, enlisting early in 1862 and serving until near the close of the war. In July, 1870, he located at Independence, Kan., and for a period of two years he worked at the plasterer's trade. He then engaged in the grain business, shipping the second car-load of grain from Independence Station. Remained in business there until the fall of 1880, when he came to Cherryvale and built an elevator here, adding lumber yards in May, 1882. His brother Alfred is associated with him as a partner in both branches of the business. They are deservedly popular, and, as a consequence, they do an extensive grain and lumber trade.
A. S. DULEY, editor of the Cherryvale Torch, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, July 19, 1838, and during the early part of his life, followed farming, and teaching for sometime. He entered the army August 27, 1861, and served three years. After his career as a soldier, he began teaching, and in 18??, became Superintendent of Rotch Institute, at Massilon, Ohio, an orphan school, which position he held until February 1, 1873. Coming to Kansas, in September, 1877, he located at Thayer, Neosho County, and was engaged in various pursuits, and was elected Mayor of that city in February, 1882. He began his career as a regular journalist, in October 1881, having served as newspaper correspondent for some years previously, and in September, 1882, assumed control of the Cherryvale Torch as editor. He was married to Lydia A. Conley, of Stark County, Ohio, May 20, 1860, who died February 6, 1875, and, on January 27, 1877, was again united by marriage to Emma Jones, a native of Kentucky. By the first marriage, three children were born, only one whom is now living and by the second wife he has three children, two girls and one boy.
O. H. P. FALL M. D., is a native of Cincinnati, Ohio; born September 10, 1832. He received literary education in the public schools, and at the Ohio Conference High School, at Springfield. In 1857, he graduated from the Medical Department of the University of New York; in 1856 he graduated from the Western Homeopathic College of Cleveland, Ohio, now known as the Hospital Medical College. He began practice at Lewisburg, Preble Co., Ohio, remaining there till January, 1861; when he removed to Sigourney, Keokuk Co., Iowa. Early in 1862 he was appointed by Governor Kirkwood to the position of Surgeon; his duties to look after sick and wounded soldiers in the army; he was afterwards contract Surgeon; being in Nashville Hospitals two years; being Executive officer of Hospital No. 14, and also served as ward surgeon; remaining in the service until he resigned in June 1865, after the close of the war. In July, 1865, he located at Cape Girardeau, Mo., where he was engaged in practice until he came to Ladore, Neosho County, in November, 1869. In 1871, he removed to Parsons remaining there till 1873, he then located at Xenia, Ohio, where he resided four years; afterwards in the city of Chicago for a period of eighteen months, removing from there to Cherryvale in November, 1877. He is health officer and has been member of the Board of Health since the city was incorporated. He has been president of the Montgomery County Medical Society. He is surgeon for the St. Louis & San Francisco R. R. Co. and also for the K. C. F. S. & G. R. R. Co., and also held the same position with the K. C. L. & S. prior to 1882. He is member of the A. O. U. W. The doctor was married at Sigourney, Iowa, December 16, 1864, to May Cautwell, a native of Mansfield, Ohio. They have two children - Hattie E., now Mrs. George M. Beerbower, and Janie C.
W. H. FRICKLETON, is a native of Wardsville, Canada West, born August 2, 1857; came to Fort Scott, Kan., in July, 1876; resided there eleven months, then at Osage Mission, until November, 1882, when he came to Cherryvale. He has been associated with Joseph H. Butler in hardware business over three years, having worked at tinner's trade ten years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., K. of P. and A. O. U. W.