Saturday, June 30, 2012

Hill City Kansas.

Date 1909.
In the fall of 1876, W. R. Hill located the town site of Hill City.  Hill City, the county seat and largest town of Graham county, is located in the central part, on the Union Pacific R. R. and on the Solomon river. It is in the midst of a prosperous farming country, has 2 banks, 2 opera houses, 3 newspapers (the New Era, the Reveille and the Republican), 2 hotels, a mill and elevator, which is one of the best plants  of its kind in the state, a county high school, a number of churches and retail stores dealing in all lines of merchandise. The town is supplied Avith express and telegraph offices and has an international money order postoffice with three rural routes. The population according to the census of 1910 was 983. Hill City was founded in 1876 and was the first town in Graham county. The postoffice was established in 1878. In 1880 it was made the county seat. Business and professional men came in and soon made a town, which was incorporated as a city of the third class before the close of the year.

Post Office open on September 20, 1878.

Graham County Directort, 1906.

No comments: