Saturday, June 30, 2012

Hill City Kansas.

Date 1909.
In the fall of 1876, W. R. Hill located the town site of Hill City.  Hill City, the county seat and largest town of Graham county, is located in the central part, on the Union Pacific R. R. and on the Solomon river. It is in the midst of a prosperous farming country, has 2 banks, 2 opera houses, 3 newspapers (the New Era, the Reveille and the Republican), 2 hotels, a mill and elevator, which is one of the best plants  of its kind in the state, a county high school, a number of churches and retail stores dealing in all lines of merchandise. The town is supplied Avith express and telegraph offices and has an international money order postoffice with three rural routes. The population according to the census of 1910 was 983. Hill City was founded in 1876 and was the first town in Graham county. The postoffice was established in 1878. In 1880 it was made the county seat. Business and professional men came in and soon made a town, which was incorporated as a city of the third class before the close of the year.

Post Office open on September 20, 1878.

Graham County Directort, 1906.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Red Bud Kansas.

Maple Township, Cowley Co., Kan.
Map 1887.
Push to enlarge.

Red Bud seems to be just another of those Kansas post offices that no one seems to know anything about not even history.  I have read two books on Cowley history and neither had any thing on Red Bud.  The Red Bud post office ran for 37, years.  One would thing tha some kind town would try to start up or at lest a builting or two would have been bulit.  All I can give is the little bit of information I do have and that it well be interesting to read.   

Red Bud is located four miles north and two miles east of Udall.

Post Office was open March 17, 1873 and ran to September 30, 1910.
The first postmaster was William B. Norman.

Red Bud Post Office sits on the land owned by William B. Norman.

Farmers And Businessman of Red Bud.

G. D. Akers, section 18, farmer & stock raiser, from Kentuckey, came to county 1874.

T. C. Daniels, section 3, farmer & stock raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1872.

D. S. Haynes, section 9, farmer & stock raiser, from West Virginia, came to county 1873.

J. Houser, section 3, farmer & stock raiser, from Virginia, came to county 1870.

W. P. Heath, section 15, farmer & stock raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1872.

William B. Norman, section 28, farmer and Merchant, from England, came to county 1871.

Norman & Son, General Merchants.  Keeps a stock of goods usually kept at a county store, such as dry goods, groceries, &c.  Maple Township, Cowley Co., Kansas.  William B. Norman, also deals in Real Estate and is Notary Public.

A. J. Walck, section 22, farmer & carpenter, from Germany, came to county 1871.

A.. J. WALCK, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 22, P. O. Red Bud. Deserving of special mention among the representative citizens of the county is the subject of this sketch. Mr. W. came to Kansas, locating on present farm, in July, 1871. Has been very successful as a farmer, and has done much toward developing the interests of Maple Township. Has been identified officially, at present being District and Township Clerk. Mr. Walck is a native of Ohio; was born in Auglaize County, September 30, 1830. Was reared in his native State. He was an early settler of Fayette County, Iowa, which was his home for eleven years. In 1866, removed to Dent County, Mo., where he resided until coming to Cowley County, Kan., in July, 1871. His wife was formerly Miss Mary A. Beaver, of Pennsylvania. They have six children - John A., Samuel, Annie M., Andrew J., Lovina and Melvina. During the war, Mr. W. enlisted in Company E, Thirty-eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving six months; was discharged on account of disability.

Pensioners of Red Bud.

Joel Bever, lost right eye, $4., per month, pension staarted September, 1866.
Lois Morse, widow of 1812, $8., per month, pension started October, 1878.
Jacob Haines, father, $8., per month, pension started January, 1880. 

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Josiah M. Hubbard.

Josiah M. Hubbard, Lieutenant, Residence Wabaunsee, was mustered into the 11th., Kansas Cavalry Company K., on September 15, 1862. Mustered out with the company on September 13, 1865.

Battle of Platte Bridge.

Among the wounded was Henry Grimm, who was shot through the leg with an arrow and in his spine a barbed arrow was deeply buried. The surgeon considering the wounded soldier beyond all hope of recovery by reason of his wounds and the loss of blood, refused to remove the steel barb that still protruded from the wound in the spine. Rut Mr. Grimm pleaded earnestly to have the barb removed and Lieut, Hubbard ordered that the soldier's request be complied with. To the surprise of all Mr. Grimm recovered and though still feeling the effect of old wounds one would never suspect that Henry Grimm, of  Volland, one of our wealthiest German farmers and the one who lay wounded nigh unto death at Platte Bridge 35 years ago are one and the same.

Josiah M. Hubbard, was elected Probate Judge of Wabauness, November 8, 1859, was also appointed County Commissioner.

Josiah M. Hubbard.

Birth: Jul., 1832.
Death: Dec. 20, 1909.

Parents: Josiah M. Hubbard (1785 - 1862), Sarah Sill Hubbard (1789 - 1882).

Spouses: Harriet E. Hubbard (1837 - 1867), Lavina C. Hubbard (1849 - 1899).

Children: Robert Hubbard (1867 - 1950).

Inscription: JOSIAH M. HUBBARD LIEUT. 11th KANSAS CAVALRY, died Dec. 20. 1909. AE 77 Y's. 5 Mo's.

HARRIET E. WIFE OF Josiah M. Hubbard, died Dec. 8, 1867, AE. 30 Y's "He giveth his beloved sleep."

LAVINA C. WIFE OF Josiah M. Hubbard, died at Pasadena, Cal., May 14, 1899, AE. 50 Y'rs.

Burial: New Farm Hill Cemetery, Middletown, Middlesex County, Connecticut.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

West Asher, Kansas.

Lu Lu Township.
Map about 1884.

West Asher was another of those post offie that sprung up all through the counties of Kansas.  West Asher was in Mihchell county and in Lu Lu township.  West Asher was at the very south end of the township, it sat on the border between Lu Lu and Asherville township.  West Asher sat in section 34., on the land own by G. W. Loveall.  There is a creek that runs through the section a little west of the post office called West Asher Creek and about half mile east there is a Christian Church.  There is a West Asher Cemetery but its no shown on the map, but by looking at the modern maps I beleve it was just east of the Christian Church on land own by J. P. Watkins?  

West Asher post office open 1872-08-15--1878-02-11. Reopen 1878-04-04--1888-12-31. There are dates that it was open for the years of 1889-01-29--1892-11-15, but was never in operation.  The first Postmaster was Sollom Boyles. 

Here is a list of Farmers that used West Asher as their PO. address.   

Lu Lu Township.

Enoch F. Bland.
G. W. Loveall.
R. A. Moore.
George W. Sloan.
J. V. Smith.
M. S. Shadowen.
John C. Wigle.

Asherville Township.

S. P. Dixson.
Sylvester James.
Niels N. Jens.
Theodore Lesley.
J. C. Mace.
William H. H. Owen.
Henry C. Owen.
T. H. Oakley.
D. Pratt.
J. C. Smith
John Smith.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Rozel Kansas.

Where is Rozel?

Rozel, is a little town in Grant township, Pawnee county, is on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., 17 miles west of Larned, the county seat. It has a bank, a mill, a grain elevator, a number of retail stores, telegraph and express offices; and a money order postoffice with two rural routes. The population in 1910 was 200.

How Rozel got it name.

With names like Rose Rosalia already on the map, what would one do with names like Roseilar Rozella, the name of the daughter of a land agent in Pawnee County?  Whateever her name , she was honored when the town was named Rozel.

The town changes names.

The town was first named Keysville, then changed to Ben Wade, honoring that outspoken rival of Chase from Ohio and that gadfly critic of President Johnson.  In 1893, the town was named Rozel.

History of The Post Offices.

Keysville, post office open 1877-12-07-1878-11-13.

Keysville, post office open 1878-12-11-1881-02-21, Name change to Ben Wade.

Keysville, post office open 1890-02-28-1891-06-30.

Ben Wade, post office open 1881-02-21-1893-06-15, Name change from Keysville. Moved to Rozel.

Rozel post office open 1893-06-15, Moved from Ben Wade.

Ben Wade, Keysville, Rozel.

The first Postmaster was Isaac UlshFeb. 21, 1881-June 15, 1893, Post office changed from Keysville before 1881, and to Rozel in July of 1893.

More facts about Rozel, Keysville, Ben Wade

Located , Grant Township, seventeen miles west of Larned on ATSF R. R. branch formerly the Chicago, Kansas, and Western Railroad to Jetmore with return to LLarned.  First Postmaster was Philo P. Wilson, June 15, 1893.  Post Office renamed Ben Wade.  The town was first named Keysville, then Ben Wade.  These locations were about one-half mile north of the current town of Rozel.  The original town site consisted of two city blocks.  On July 19, 1889, the SF R. R.deeded to the Arkansas Valley Town and Land Co, a tract of landfor the town-site.  Rozel was named in 1893, for the land agent of Pawnee county, daughter, "Rozella."  The town was incorporated on November 4, or 29, 1929, with a mayor council goverment.  It had a bank, mill, grain elevator, several retil stores, telegrapr/express offices, money order PO two rural mail routes in 1910.  Dr. A. E. Reed was the first doctor in 1904.  Then Dr. Howl in 1905, then Dr. Cayhill in 1907, and then Dr. J. H. Tapscott 1909-1959.

The population in 1910 was 200.  The town was first called Keysville and changed to Ben Wade.  The town had two major fires, a tornado and numerous floods.  Nearly the entire original town site was destroyed by fire on September 24, 1928.  A major tornado occurred on May 20, 1949.  Rozel is still a active small rual community. 

Civil War.

Luther H. Gerbon,  P.O. Ben Wade, Gun shot wound, left leg & left hand, pension 18.00, per month.

Pop Corn Kansas?

The Pop Corn Post Office open June 23, 1874 and ran to July31, 1890.  Postmaster was George Cowen.

The town of Pop Corn sat on land own by G. Cowun or Cowen?, some time after 1891, the town was no more.  In 1899, the town site was still own by George Cowen.

George Cowen.

Birth: Oct. 7, 1833.
Death: Dec. 18, 1904.

Son of John Cowen and Mariah Cory. Married Sarah Ann Palmer on Dec. 4, 1866.

Children: Ida C. Cowen McPhail (1868 - 1963), Eve, John, Orel and Henry Cowen.

Burial: Highland Cemetery, Scranton, Osage County, Kansas.

I have been stating that Pop Corn was a town, but in fact it may have been only one house.  As the Post office was in the home of George Cowen.  I have read the History of Osage County and been to a couple libraries but couldn't find anything on Pop Corn.  Pop Corn Creek runs through part of Mr. Cowen's land.  It is stated that Pop Corn got it's name be cause you couldn't raise any Pop Corn there as the Kansas summers were so hot that the corn would "POP", before it could be harvest.

I was finely able to get in touch with the Osage County, Historical society, they didn't have any more then I did.  But the nice lady there said that more then likely that Pop Corn was just a dropping off point for the mail of the surounding area.  Because of the mines opening up throught out the county many post offices opened up, then after the mail stared to fall off the post office was closed.  The society thought this was the case of Pop Corn.   

In 1883, it's stated that Samuel M. Hatfield was on section 28, this is true although he didn't show up on the township map till 1899.  The land was owned by G. D. Patton.  Mr. Patton must of sold the land to Mr. Hatfield between 1879 and 1883.  Mr. Hatfield's P. O., address was Pop  Corn.

SAMUEL M. HATFIELD. farmer, Section 28, P. O. Pop Corn; born in Dublin, Ind., December 7, 1841; son of George C. Hatfield and Lydia Dunbar. He grew up in Wabash County, Ind. Enlisted October 24, 1861, in Company D, Forty-seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and on December 4, 1863, was transferred to Forty-seventh Regiment, Indiana Veterans, and discharged October 23, 1865. He came to Kansas in 1869; settled in Topeka, where he remained two years and then settled in Osage City and was engaged in the grocery business. In 1879, he bought a farm in Dragoon township, containing 160 acres of improved land. Besides his own farm, he is farming on a large scale and owns a coal mine on his farm which is being worked to good advantage. He was married in Osage City, June 8, 1871, to Miss Mary O., daughter of John C. Williams and Mary Wilson. They have three children - Ernest E., born April 12, 1874; Olive A., born December 28, 1876; and Eva M., born September 21, 1882. Mr. Hatfield is an Odd Fellow and a member of the G. A. R.

Note. He was 19 years when he enlisted and 22, when he was transferred to the Veteran Volunteers.

Names In And Around Lyndon Kansas.

Burnett, Lucas 76, wife, Lavina. Live two miles N. W. of Lyndon, ilr. Burnett was born in Mass. and identified himself with Kanbaa in its beginning. He ia an old plainsman of 184S. He married Sarah Ward and settled down in Johnson Co. about 1860. After the birth of her seventh boy, she died at Black Jack 1878, soon after which time he moved to this place 7 boys.

Lucas Burnett.

Birth: Jun. 21, 1821.
Death: May 7, 1900.
Burial: Lyndon Cemetery, Lyndon, Osage County, Kansas.

Blackwell, Cyrus W. 71, his wife, Mary Ann died Jan. 13, 1897. since which time Mr. Blackwell has lived with his daughters in the Richview neighborhood, Melvern twp, 6 miles south of Lyndon. He came to Kan. from Ind. in 1887. Three of his children, viz. Mrs. Mary ,1ane Starr, Mrs. Calista E PATTERSON, and Mrs. Ann Richardson lived in Richview, and his brothers, James F. and John s. had lived in Lyndrtn 11 years when he came here. Besides the three children mentioned above he has a daughter Dora m. to Geo. Weber Jr. of Lyndon and two sons here.

Curry, Nathaniel G. 62, and wife S. A. live in Lyndon. Mr. Curry was a soldier in Co. G, 36, Ill., and Co. K., 14th., III. Cav. Milo Sipes who lives 2 miles east of Lydon is a son of Mre. Curry's by a foimer husbaud.

Service Cards.

Rank: Private.
Company: G.
Unit: 36 IL US INF.
Age: 22.
Height: 5' 8 1/2.
Hair: SANDY.
Eyes: GRAY.
Complexion: LIGHT.
Marital Status: SINGLE.
Occupation: FARMER.
Nativity: VA.
Joined When: AUG 19, 1861.
Joined Where: MORRIS, IL.
Period: WAR.
Muster In: AUG 20, 1861.
Muster In Where: AURORA, IL.

Rank: Private.
Company: K.
Unit: 14th., IL US CAV.
Age: 24.
Height: 5' 11.
Hair: LIGHT.
Eyes: HAZEL.
Complexion: SANDY.
Occupation: FARMER.
Nativity: VA.
Joined when: SEP 14, 1862.
Joined Where: PONTIAC, IL.
Period: 3 YRS.
Muster In: JAN 7, 1863.
Muster In Where: CAMP BUTLER, IL.
Remarks: DISCHARGED JUL 2, 1865.

Cotterman, W. A. 49,and wife Mary. Children, Eugene and Judith. Andy is an old settler of Co. E, 133 111. Inft, and while a young man, he with his father settled in Lyndon. They were among the earliest citizens. He was six years Clerk of Court, Osage Co. See sketch of Commander Cotterman and lyndon Post.

Service Card

Rank: Pivate.
Company: E.
Unit: 133 IL US INF.
Age: 18.
Height: 5' 8.
Hair: LIGHT.
Eyes: BLUE.
Complexion: DARK.
Marital Status: SINGLE.
Occupation: FARMER.
Nativity: SANGAMON CO, IL.
Joined When: MAY 9, 1864.
Joined Where: SPRINGFIELD, IL.
Period: 100 DAY.
Muster In: MAY 31, 1864.
Muster In Where: CAMP BUTLER, IL.
Muster Out: SEP 24, 1864.
Muster Out Where: SPRINGFIELD, IL.

Capper, P. Alfred 55, has for many years been one of the Lyndon Merchants; also one of the settlers of Salt Creek. 1870. Served in the U. S. marine service on gunboat "Naid." Mrs. Capper, of Indian descent, Sac and Fox tribe, divorced, m. "Wm. Whistler, of Sac and Fox Agency. A dau. of Mr. Cappers, Pauline 17, lives with her. Mrs. Whistler's maiden name was Fanny GOODElL. John Capper 21, at present a student at the Wentworth Military Institute, Lexington, Mo., assists his father in the store when at home.

Dempster, Miss Maud 19, lives with her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Robt. H. Wynne, Lyndon. Dau. of the old soldier, Thomas Dempster, deceased. There are also 3 more children, who when not attending the Lyndon school are at home with their mother, Mrs Stephen Hobbs. Fred 18, Oka Dkll 16, and Jessie Dempster 14 are their names.

Fenn, Mrs. E. W. 60, widow of Dr. E. B. Fenn, an old soldier of the 4th Iowa Inft. Lives in Lyndon. Mrs. Estella Waddle, aldo of Lyndon is her daughter. Geo.Fenn, of Williamsburg, a son. They were commissioned to work among the Sac and Fox Indians at the Agency before the Reservation was open for settlement in 1866, and later the Dr. was their physician a term of years among them at the Sac and Fox Agency, Ind. Ty.

Ford, Harry 51, The Lyndon photographer. No family. An old soldier of Co. I lOth Mich. Cav. Has lived with James Campbell in Lyndon last 8 yrs. He has several branch stations in towns around but the work is finished at Lyndon.

Laybourn, Melvin L. 36, m. Fannie Guild, May, 1887; settling in a home that Mell had ready here in Lyndon. He followed the jewelry business some years when failing eye-sight warned him to quit. The years 1892-93 they tried Topeka but returned to Lyudon in 1894, and Sept. 19, 1895 launched the Current Remark newspaper; since which time they have steadily increased in prosperity and have the satisfaction of knowing that their paper is on a paying basis, able to hold its own right at home.

Swisher, H. C. 56, wife, Minnie. Ex-county 8heriff,1892-6, All old soldier of the 85th Ill. Infantry. He has been in the county some 15 years. A farmer at first. After his time was up as sheriff, with his son, John, thtty run a large hardware and implement store in Lyndon, and although they sold out their business in 1900, to Miles and Johnson, they still own the Swisher block. Mr. Swisher is suffering from something like a cancer in his face, and his been receiving treatment in Kansas City hospitals several months. The Swisher family is a large one and have a fine home in Lyndon. Two of the children are married and iu homes of their own in town. The 5 boys have been members of the Lyndon cornet band for several years. 7 children alive.  Edward, John, Lulu, Frederick, Frank, Bert, Emma.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Wakarusa Kansas

Map 1873.


In the Township of Williamsport, was located and platted for a town site in 1858, by Messrs Mills and Smith, of Topeka. It is on Sections 35 and 36, Township 13, Range 15, in the southern part of the township, and is a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Road. Among those interested in this town enterprise besides Messrs. Mills and Smith, were Messrs. G. T. Lockard, J. P. Ennis and Zenas King, of Topeka, the town being first named "Kingston," in honor of the latter gentleman. The postoffice, having been previously established under the name of "Wakarusa," the citizens were desirous that the village should also take the name of the historical stream, and it was accordingly changed.

In 1871, W. H. Mills, of Illinois, built a hotel and store at the station, both of which are still run by him.

G. W. Hamilton was the first, and L. Merrium is the present Postmaster, the latter being appointed in 1876.

There is one church building in the village, which is occupied alternately by the Presbyterians and Methodists; the Methodist pastor being Rev. C. N. Riggle.

Wakarusa village claims to have the finest district schoolhouse in the county, if not in the State. It contains over a hundred inhabitants, and has the usual number of village industries, besides the business of crushing stone for railroad ballast. The Sherman Stone Crushing Company have located one of their machines at the village, and employ from fifty to one hundred men.

Wakarusa was platted in 1868 by Mills & Smith, of Topeka. It was first called Kingston, in honor of Zenas King of Topeka, who was one of the original promoters. His associates were I. T. Lockhard, J. P. Ennis, A. J. Huntoon, Joel Huntoon and T. U. Thompson. Some of the settlers around Wakarusa, and in other parts of the township, were: W. H. Mills, A. F. Barker, S. D. Conwell, R. U. Farnsworth, William S. Hibbard, John MacDonald, Rev. John McQuiston, Walter Matney, W. H. Moffitt, J. E. Pratt, Perry Tice, James Robb, J. D. Vawter, John H. Young and John N. Young. Williamsport township derived its name from Williamsport in Pennsylvania.

Some of the people who used Wakarusa as their PO. address.

APPLETON F. BARKER, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 18, P. O. Wakarusa, owns eighty acres, all enclosed, with good dwelling, barn, outbuildings, apple and peach orchard. Sixty acres cultivated and twenty acres in pasture. Has five horses, thirty-six head of cattle and sixteen hogs. He was born in the State of New York, April 4, 1833, and in 1854 moved to Illinois, and came from there to Kansas in 1858, locating on this section, east of here. Came to this place in 1869. Enlisted as a private in Company F, Sixth Regiment, Kansas Infantry, in 1862, but was detached at Fort Leavenworth to serve in the fort battery, and remained there about a year, and was then sent on recruiting service for four months, and recruited eighty-four men, expecting to get a commission and join the Second Kansas, but had his men taken and mustered in the Fifteenth Kansas. Was offered a commission in this regiment, but refused it and was mustered in as Quartermaster Sergeant, and remained in that capacity during the term of service. Was most of the time at headquarters and had charge of the stock, and was mustered out in May 20, 1865, by general orders No. 83. After being mustered out he was engaged to go to Fort Laramie with a drove of horses for the government, to supply Col. Moonlight. Started with fifty-four men in charge of the horses and sixty horses as guard and about one hundred wagons with emigrants on the train, as the Indians were very bad. When above Fort Kearney, the Indians stampeded their horses, and they lost twenty-eight of them, and he and another man came near losing their lives while getting the horses up, as they were attacked and had a running fight, and had to stop and kill their horses for breastworks, but were fortunately rescued by a party of soldiers sent to their help. He was married in 1853, to Miss Caroline A. McLain. They have four children - George W., Ambrose A., Ida May and Sarah M. He is one of the School Board, and has been for a number of years. Has been Road Overseer for seventeen years, also Justice of the Peace for four years. Is a member of the First Baptist Church, Topeka, Superintendent of the Sunday-school, and Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Wakarusa Valley Sunday-school Association, and has been since its organization in 1876.

CHARLES BROWN, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Wakarusa, owns 160 acres, about 115 acres in cultivation, twelve in timber and the rest in pasture. Has five horses, four head of cattle and twelve hogs. Was born in the city of New York, November 22, 1817. In 1849 was one of the first to try his fortune in the gold fields of California. Was there for three years and was very successful. On his return he bought a farm on Long Island, ten miles from New York, and followed gardening. During the war he sold out and moved to Brooklyn and followed his trade of ship calker. In 1866 he left Brooklyn and came to Kansas, locating on his present farm. He was married in December, 1850, to Miss Mary Page, a native of the west of England, who came to the United States in 1848. They have three children - Mary, Alfred and Francis. The whole family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JAMES CARROLL, farmer and stock dealer, Section 36, P. O. Wakarusa, owns 240 acres, all enclosed; 130 acres under cultivation, the balance in timber, meadow and pasture; has twenty-four horses, 150 head of cattle and fifty hogs. He was born near Belfast, Ireland, in 1827, and came to the United States in 1852, locating at Oberlin, Ohio, and came from there to Kansas in March, 1855, locating on this place. He was married in 1866 to Miss Caroline Link; they have six children living - William H., Annie, Cora, Nettie, Edward and John. Was in Captain Perry Tice's Company during the Price raid and participated in the fight at Locust Grove, Mo.

S. T. COUNTS, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Wakarusa. He has 160 acres, ninety of which are under cultivation and forty in clover, all enclosed. He also has ten head of horses and fifty-four head of cattle. He was born in Ohio, September 10, 1833, and came to Kansas in February, 1877. He served in the war of the great Rebellion, in the Forty-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Jas. A. Garfield, Colonel.

RUSSEL U. FARNSWORTH, farmer, stock-raiser and dairyman, Section 28, P. O. Wakarusa, owns 300 acres, 110 acres in cultivation, forty acres of cultivated meadow, and the rest in pasture and native meadow. He also rents and farms 320 acres in addition thereto. His principal crops are corn and millet, for feeding. Has a large farm to accommodate thirty-five milch cows, twenty calves and nine horses, with all conveniences and loft, for millet and hay and bins for feed. Also, mill, run by steam power for shelling corn and grinding feed, as well as sheds and yards, arranged conveniently for stock and dairy business. Has, at this time, nine horses, seventy-five head of cattle, fifty hogs. Is milking twenty-seven cows; has made this year (1882) to present time about 2,500 pounds of butter; average receipt per cow last year was $25.69, and a large proportion of these were young. Was born in Grafton County, N. H., August 12, 1839. When a child moved with parents to Vermont, and remained there until 1858 at which time he came to Kansas and bought 160 acres of his present farm with a Mexican War land warrant and remained here one summer, then returned home, and remained there until 1861, in May, when he enlisted as a private in Company G, Third Vermont Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in the Army of the Potomac in all its campaigns and marches, skirmishes and battles, particularly in the actions of Louisville, Lee's Mills, Yorktown, Williamsport, Gains Hill and in all the engagements on the Chickahominy, and in front of Richmond, ending with the battle of Malvern Hill. While the army was at Harrison's Landing, was taken with chronic diarrhoea sic, which terminated in heart disease and general debility, and was sent to General Hospital, at Washington City, from there was sent to Convalescent Camp, and appointed Head Clerk, and had charge of over 5,000 men, but his health remaining poor, was ordered before the Medical Board and was discharged, on Surgeon's certificate of disability, in February, 1863. Soon after discharge from the army went to Wisconsin for his health, and from there to Colorada, sic in the fall of 1863, and spent four years in Colorado and freighting across the plains, and returned to his home in the East in 1867, where he was married same year to Miss Ellen K. Fairberry, and in 1868 came to Kansas, and located on this farm permanently, where after a few years his wife died. Was married a second time, May 1, 1877, to Miss Isabel H. McDowell. They have two children - Josie E. and Jennie A. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; also a Mason.

WILLIAM S. HIBBARD, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Wakarusa, owns 178 acres, about sixty acres cultivated and twenty-five acres in timber, and the balance in native meadow and pasture, all enclosed. He was born in New Hampshire, in 1828. Left home when twenty-one years of age and went to Boston and Washington City, and from there in 1850, to Ohio, engaging in the iron business, and came from there to Kansas in 1857, locating near Auburn, and came to his present place in 1876. This farm was pre-empted by Robert C. Gault, a brother-in-law of Mr. Hibbard, who was one of the Boston Company, and who came to Kansas armed with a Sharp's rifle and a Bible, who at his death left this farm to his sister, Mrs. Hibbard. Mr. Hibbard was married in 1859, to Miss Eliza M. Gault, who is a native of Philadelphia, Pa., who came to Kansas in 1857 with her mother and sister, locating in Auburn Township. They have four children - Anna S., Harry L., David S. and James S. Mr. Hibbard was a member of Capt. Bush's company in Second Kansas State Militia, and participated in the fight at Locust Grove, Mo. during the Price raid, and was one of the unfortunate ones who were captured, but made his escape when three days out, but was captured by Union scouts, being dressed in citizen's clothes, and taken to Fort Scott, and put in the guard there until morning, but the same night there were a large number of rebel prisoners put into the same prison, and the next morning sent under guard to St. Louis and he had great difficulty in identifying himself so as to prevent being sent with them. Mr. Hibbard and family are members of the Presbyterian Church, he being one of the original Elders of the Auburn Church, organized in 1858, by the Rev. James Brownlee.

JAMES HUTCHINGSON, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Wakarusa, owns seventy acres; forty acres cultivated, and thirty in fine timber. Has four horses, twenty-six head of cattle and fourteen hogs, and farming in a fine state of progress. He was born in Yorkshire, England, February 21, 1835. Came to the United States when nineteen years of age and worked in Paterson, N. J., in a factory, and from there went to Canada and remained one year. Returning and locating for a time in Illinois, and from there to Missouri, working on the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad, in its construction, and from there to Vernon County, Mo. where he was living when the war broke out, and where for a time he was unmolested, on account of being an Englishman, and was at his home during the battle of Carthage, Mo. and heard the firing of artillery plainly, but after that was subject to a great many annoyances, and was importuned to join the rebel forces, and had to resort to a great many expedients to save his life and property, at one time passing himself off for a Rebel Capt. Gatewood, in order to pass their pickets in the night when returning home. At another time he entered a Guerrilla camp in the night when all were asleep, and helped himself to a gun, escaping without injury. But space will not permit us to give even a part of the many thrilling adventures which Mr. Hutchingson passed through in this troubled time; enough to say that finally he was so continuously annoyed that he traded his farm for a yoke of oxen and loaded what household effects he could on one wagon and made his escape into Kansas, taking with him his wife whom he had married in September, 1859, and whose maiden name was Sarah Markie, and three of her brothers, landing in Lawrence, Kan., in the fall of 1862, with scarcely anything. He went to work for a man near Lawrence, named Levi Gates, and his three brothers joined Capt. Rankin's Company as recruits and were murdered in the Quantrell raid, they having no arms to defend themselves with, not having been armed yet. Mr. H. and Mr. Gates seized their guns and hastened into Lawrence, as soon as they heard the firing, and were for five hours engaged in the fight, Mr. Gates losing his life and Mr. Hutchingson barely escaping when hard pressed by hiding behind a stump and presenting his empty gun, and causing the enemy to seek cover and securing time to reload. After the fight was over, he went for his team and wagon, and hauled the dead together and helped bury them. Mr. H. came to his present farm in 1871, and is and has been an active worker for the promotion of education and improvement in every way. He is a member of the School Board and has been for the past ten years; is Road Overseer, and has been for the past seven years, and was elected Justice of the Peace in the spring of 1882, to serve for two years. His family of five, bright healthy daughters are his help in farming. They are named Ida, Sophia, Sarah, Nancy and Mary. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

J. E. JONES, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Wakarusa, rents and farms 160 acres owned by his aunt, Ametta Woodiv; sixty-seven acres under cultivation, the rest enclosed and in native meadow; has two horses, two cows and seventy-five hogs. Was born in Pennsylvania, August 6, 1840, and moved to Buchanan County, Iowa, in 1868, and came to Kansas in 1881, locating here. He was married in 1861 to Miss Emeline Ort. They have three children - Erastus E., Mary E. and Cora A. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

Famers' Directory of Shawnee County 1920.

All the names listed here either lived in or near Wakarusa.  The dates beside the name is the year they came to the county.

Note. I only listed the head of the family, but on request I can give Wifes and Childrens names, if any.

Clarence E. Anderson, 1920.
S. E. Barbee.
William Baxter.
Fred S. Bayless.
Montie H. Bayless.
Edward E. Bean.
John H. Birtell, 1886.
Horace Blakley, 1883.
Frank R. Blood.
John A. Boley.
Will C. Boley.
Charles Bowdre, 1920.
Cleveland T. Bower, 1919.
R. Bradley, 1860.
Medar M. Breque, 1879.
Harry L. Bulkley.
Grover Burhardt, 1919.
Will F. Carls, 1901.
Emma D. Carriger, 1892.
William A. Carriger, 1854.
John R. Carter, 1870.
Philip Cazier, 1892.
Russell Cazier, 1884.
Varnum A. Cellers, 1886.
Ernest E. Chinn.
Allen A. Clark, 1920.
Buford Clark, 1886.
Luther D. Clark, 1911.
Mrs. Hattie Clenens, 1879.
Roscoe S. Collins, 1913.
Mrs. Mary A. Cregut, 1869.
Andrew O. Crews, 1877.
Piece J. Dennis, 1910.
Fred P. Dickinsheet, 1900.
John K. Duncan, 1908.
Genis Dunnan, 1876.
Atwell R. Eastman, 1920.
Martin L. Engler, 1985.
Elsey Faris, 1911.
Harvey C. Faust, 1884.
William A. Feist, 1881.
Sims V. Firestone, 1854.
William M. Firestone, 1893.
Maurice Fleck, 1908.
Wilmor J. Flood, 1916.
Junior H. Foltz, 1901.
Martin L. Foltz, 1857.
Neven M. Foltz, 1881.
Fred W. Fritsche, 1893.
Thomas Cotely, 1916.
William J. Gillespie Jr., 1908.
John A. Goff, 1919.
Poe Gorwood, 1899.
Parke C. Grawood, 1901
Virgil Geimes, 1891.
Charles P. Hammond 1921.
Junius L. Heberling, 1857.
Mangard H. Heberling, 1900.
William F. Heise, 1915.
Nathan H. Hibbs, 1907.
David R. Hopper, 1856.
William A. Hoy, 1879.
Everett C. Jackson, 1911.
Mrs. Clara Johnson, 1901.
Richard M. Johnson, 1903.
Fred T. Jones, 1917.
Clyde H. Jordan, 1876.
John S. Jordan, 1872.
Forest G. Joss, 1909.
Frank Junkins, 1918.
George R. Keezel, 1902.
John W. Kelley, 1897.
Alexander H. Kelling, 1905.
Mattie Kennet, 1894.
Mrs. W. T. Kneale, 1895.
John B. Lewis, 1914.
Jim W. Livingston, 1914.
Frank S. Look, 1913.
Earl E. Lue, 1888.
George Lunn, 1869.
Mosls H. McClure, 1920.
Ed S. Dougal, 1891.
Frank H. McQuiston, 1891.
Thomas J. Mabbett, 1866.
Joseph L. Manley, 1889.
Milligan Matney, 1873.
Thomas Mawhirter, 1861.
Oscar W. Meil, 1873.
Blanchard C. Merodith, 1917.
William Micell, 1870.
George A. Moore, 1885.
John B. Moore, 1871.
Mrs. Samuel Moore, 1869.
William D. Moore, 1903.
Dan M. Morris, 1920.
Ernest Myers, 1902.
William M. Myers, 1902.
Lyman T. Nelson, 1859
John A. Nichols, 1920.
Harry Owens, 1920.
Bert Ottinger, 1910.
James O. Oyler, 1920.
William B. Perry, 1884.
Frank T. Pratt, 1870.
William J. Ransdell, 1884.
Adam Renyer, 1888.
Fred A. Renyer, 1882.
John G. Renyer, 1882.
William A. Renyer, 1886.
Arthur Robb, 1894.
Joseph N. Robinson, 1864.
Charles W. Rohde, 1921.
Arthur Rose, 1882.
Charles A. Schick, 1921.
David Schwmmer, 1916.
Jim Sims, 1909.
William E. Simmons, 1920.
Stephen Smerchek, 1913.
Calvin F. Smith, 1889.
C. William Snodgrass, 1920.
Johnathan T. Snyder, 1854.
William E. Snyder, 1892.
Lewis G. Stahl, 1878.
Will J. Stewart, 1869.
Mrs. Sabina Stont.
Miller Thayer, 1919.
John P. Thompson, 1884.
Clay Tucker, 1917.
Charles H. Vawter, 1869.
Clarence Vawter, 1905.
Herbert & John Villman, 1917.
Thomas J. Whitlow, 1886.
Lewis Whitten, 1871.
Luther Whitten, 1871.
Mrs. Mine Williams, 1879.
William H. Witham, 1920.
Dewey M. Wood, 1918.
Lloyd B. Young, 1884.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Ness City, Kansas, 1887.

The Ness City Flouring Mills.

Owned and operated by Mr. John Snow, 24x42 feet on the ground, three stories hight, exclusive of the basement and substantially built, they are equipped with full roller process and other modern mill machiney; have a daily capacity of seventy-five barrels; were built in 1886, by Mr. Snow, and among the most valvable mill properties in Western Kansas.  Mr. Snow, who is an old and accomplished miller, sells the entire product of the mills in Ness and the neighboring counties, and speaks confidently of the milling outlook, for the region.  He is a native of England, a square, earnest, energetic business man, and estimable citizen; likes the county, and has great faith in the future of Ness county.  The mills are driven by steam, and run to full capacity on fine brands of merchant work that have deserved popuiarity in the region. 


Recently built and furnished by Ross Calhoun a cost of $16,000, is a handsome testimonial to the good taste and boundless enterprise of that public-spirited gentleman. As shown by our arlist, it is a beautiful specimen of hotel architecture, whose fine style, superior finish and elegant furnishings are a splendid compliment to the builder and the city. It is admirably planned, and perfectly heated by a superior hot-air heating plant ; has not a single dark or dingy corner, and from base to attic is aglow with light and warmth. The ample office and dining-room, elegantly furnished parlors and sleeping rooms, spacious and airy halls and corridors, fine table service and delightful cuisine, give this superb new hostlery great favor with the citizens and traveling public. Mr. James T. Calhoun, the proprietor, and his estimable family, are evidently he Calhoun House the cheerful and grateful social influence of a well-ordered home. Mr. Calhoun is an old-timer here, and one of those cordial, broad-breasted, genial, sociable, manlv men, who manage to dispense a deal of social sunshine. The Calhoun has water-works of its own, bringing the clear waters of Sunset Lake to every portion of the house and grounds, and looks out upon a pretty park, whose well-shaded walks and drives and rustic lounging places, will soon enough form one of its chief attractions.
George S. Redd, was born in 1859, West Virginia, in 1880, he was 26 years old and shown to be a Attorney.  He was at one time the Mayor of Ness City, and also the County Attorney.  In 1887, he was one of the owners of the new founded town of Beelerville, Kansas.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Conrad Myers.

Push to enlarge.
Conrad Myers was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, in 1831, and lived in that state until 1850. His father was a blacksmith, of whom young Myers learned the trade, afterward learning the trade of millwright. Emigrated to Iowa in 1850; locating at Marion, the county seat of Linn county, where he remained four years, then moved to Benton county, where he lived for six years, working at his trade as millwright. In 1860, he and his brother, Daniel, emigrated to Kansas, arriving at Manhattan June 6th, where they remained until February, 1861, when they came to Republic county, arriving- hereon the 28th, locating on Salt Creek as described in another chapter, and where Conrad has ever since resided, never leaving his home on account of Indian troubles. He was married at Grasshopper Falls, Jefferson county, Kansas, in August, 1862. His dwelling house was destroyed by fire March 4, 1901, but has rebuilt on the same site, where it is hoped he may live many years to enjoy a competency which he has secured by frugality and honest industry.

More about Conrad Myers.

He was elected as one of the County Commissioners in 1868.

Daniel and Conrad Myers were the first white settlers of Republic county, Their settlements were made the 28th of February, 1861. The nearest white settlement, at that time, was at Lake Sibley, in Cloud county, which did not prove permanent on account of Indian depredations. Conrad Myers is the only one of the early settlers who did not, at any time, leave the county on account of the Indian troubles, and for more than four weeks during the spring of 1861 was the only white person in Republic county. The nearest postoffice at that time was at Manhattan, eighty miles away; and it is not, perhaps, necessary to state that Mr. Myers did not at that time take the daily papers.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Calvin Willard Loomis.

push to enlarge.
Calvin Willard Loomis, deceased, was an extensive farmer and land owner and during the course of his career was prominently identified with the growth and progress of this county. He was a native of New York and was born near Syracuse, March 30, 1866. When three years old his parents left New York State and settled on a farm near Marshall, Michigan. For eleven years they remained there and Calvin Loomis attended the district schools. In 1881 they came to Leavenworth County, Kansas, where they again took up farming.

Calvin Wiilard Loomis, in the spring of 1889, purchased what is now known as the "Sam Ward farm," near Edminster, Kansas, and he owned and operated this farm until 1901, when he sold it and pmchased 1,000 acres nearby. He was a breeder of Holstein cattle and had a large dairy farm, which was known far and near. Mr. Loomis was beloved by all who knew him, as he was kindly dispositioned to strangers as well as friends, and lived an honest upright life. He was always ready to give to the needy and many poor people were recipients of his bounty. Mr. Loomis's death was caused by being accidentally crushed between the  doorway of his barn and one of his animals, on February 6, 1913.

In April, 1895, Calvin Willard Loomis and Mary Huston were united in marriage. Mary Huston Loomis is the daughter of Patrick and Mary Jane Huston, the former deceased and the latter living at Tonganoxie, with whom Mrs. Mary Loomis makes her home. Patrick Huston was a native of Ireland and upon his arrival in the United States settled at Parkville, Missouri, where he was married to Mary Jane Williams, in 1863.  After their marriage they came to Leavenworth County, Kansas, and urchased 120 acres in Stranger Township, where Mr. Huston labored and reared his family. He spent the remainder of his life on this farm.

Mrs. Mary Jane Huston was born in Dublin, Ireland, October 22, 1837, the daughter of John and Julia (Reynolds) Williams. John Williams and his family left Ireland about 1840 and were among the early pioneer settlers of Chicago, Illinois and Parkville, Missouri. For many years, John Williams worked at his trade of stone mason. He helped in the construction of some of the largest and finest buildings in Parkville, Missouri and vicinity. John and Julia (Reynolds) Williams died at Parkville, Missouri.  They were the parents of the following children : Thomas, with Mrs. Mary Jane Huston ; Edward, deceased ; Mary Jane Huston ; John, deceased ; and Julia, deceased.

Patrick and Mary Jane Huston were the parents of the following children : Mary, married Calvin Willard Loomis, of this sketch ; Edward, lives in Oklahoma; Julia, Mrs. Joe Klamet, of Leavenworth County; Henry, deceased; Ella, died in infancy; James, Tonganoxie, Kansas; and Thomas, lives in Kansas.

Mrs. Mary Jane Huston moved to Tonganoxie in 1911 and has purchased one of the nicest residences in this city. She has grown up with the country and is an old pioneer of this county.  Mrs. Mary Loomis, widow of Calvin Loomis, after the death of her husband, disposed of 1000 acres of his land and purchased a farm of 147 acres, near her former home. The Union Pacific station, on Big Stranger,
is located on her land. Mrs. Loomis also owns real estate at Kansas City, purchased by her husband. In 1915, Mrs. Loomis came to live with her mother and brother.

Calvin Willard Loomis was a well known figure in Leavenworth County and endeared himself to many friends, having spent the greater share of his life in the county and was active in all of its agricultural activities.

Greenwich Kansas.

Greenwich, Kansas Payne Township.

Payne. - This township was organized in the fall of 1870, and named in honor of its first settler, David L. Payne, who has obtained national celebrity from his connection with the movement to establish the Oklahoma colony in the Indian Territory. Captain Payne was the originator of the scheme and is still president of the Oklahoma Association. He was born December 30, 1838, in Fairmount, Grant Co., Ind., and was raised on a farm. He received a common school education. April 15, 1858, he arrived in Burr Oak Township, Doniphan Co., Kan., and engaged at once in the native lumbering business, which he followed until July 16, 1861, when he enlisted as a private in the Fourth Kansas Regiment of Infantry, which afterwards, in connection with the Third Kansas, became the Tenth Kansas. He served three years with this command in the capacity of a private, declining the offer of a Lieutenant's commission five times. In the Kansas Legislature of 1865 he represented one of the districts of Doniphan County, in the Lower House.

In the spring of 1865 he joined General Hancock's Veteran Army corps, in which he served until honorably discharged after one year's service. In January, 1867, he was elected Sergeant-at-Arms of the Kansas State Senate, and served as such through that session. In the spring of 1867 he was appointed Postmaster at Fort Leavenworth, in which position he served personally from April, 1867, until July following, and by deputy until the following September. July 2, 1867, he joined the Eighteenth Kansas Cavalry Regiment, which was organized for six months service on the plains. He served through the campaign in the capacity of Captain of Company D. During the session of the Legislature of 1868 he filled the position as Sergeant-at-Arms of the Senate, to which he had been elected the previous session.

In November, 1868, he joined the Nineteenth Regiment of Kansas Cavalry, another command organized for six months' service on the plains. In this regiment he was appointed Captain of Company H, in which position he served during the existence of the command. He was engaged in the campaign against the Cheyennes, in which was effected the rescue of Mrs. Morgan and Miss White, in March, 1869, on the headwaters of the Red River, in the Panhandle of Texas. These ladies had been captured from their homes on the Republican River, in Kansas, in the summer of 1868, by Cheyenne Indians, and had suffered all of the indignities and cruelties that the wild savage is capable of inflicting. During a portion of this campaign Captain Payne served as dispatch bearer for General Custer. April 5, 1870 he removed to Sedgwick County and established "Payne's Ranch" at the crossing of the old Santa Fe trail on Dry Creek, in what is now Payne Township. In the Legislature of 1872 he represented Sedgwick County in the Lower House.

He was the author of the bill which passed at this session to remove the disabilities of Confederate soldiers in Kansas. From 1874 to 1879 he was Assistant Doorkeeper of the House of Representatives at Washington. In 1879 he served four months as Government Steamboat Inspector, his time being divided between Florida and Norfolk, Va. He returned to his home in Payne Township in April, 1880, and immediately organized the Oklahoma Colony, of which he was elected president, and still remains as such. He has been arrested and driven from the Indian Territory six times by United States troops, but he still believes that his cause is sustained by law and equity, and will not surrender his position until the question in dispute has been settled by the Supreme Court. His position is that the lands in the Indian Territory which have not been apportioned to Indian tribes are the sole property of the Government, and as such are subject to settlement by citizens of the United States. Captain Payne is six feet four inches in height and is a fine specimen of manly beauty. He is modest and unassuming, and has none of the appearances of a bravado.

He has all of the qualifications for a frontier leader, being cool, courageous, cautious, honorable and thoroughly practical. In Sedgwick County, where he is best known, no man has made more warm friends than Captain David L. Payne. The first Justice of the Peace in Payne Township was Robert Wilson, who was appointed in July, 1870. The township is well watered, Greenwich is the postoffice. There are three good church organizations and five good school buildings in the township. Population, 519; valuation of property, $176,948.

Greenwich, Post Office open on September 3, 1874 through ?

Greenwich, a village of Payne township, Sedgwick county, is a station on the Missouri Pacific R. R. 10 miles northeast of Wichita, the county seat. It has a money order postoffice with one rural route, an express office, general stores, a feed mill, etc., and is a shipping point of some importance. The population in 1910 was 72.

Here are a few men that used Greenwich as their post office address.

Robert L. Wilson, Farmer and postmaster, Section 14, he came from Scotland, came to county 1870.

Henry N. Young, Farmer, Section 10, he came from Germany, came to county 1870.  Born April 25, 1837, died July 14, 1907.

Herman C. Young, Farmer, Section 10, he came from Germany, came to county 1870. 

Isaac J. Lane, Farmer, Section 23, he came from Tennessee, came to county 1872.

James Wilson, Farmer, Section 24, he came from Scotland, came to county 1870.

He is a township map of Payne, it shows Greenwich and all the land owners.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chet L. Davis.

Push pictures to enlarge.

Chet L. Davis was born at Auburn, Kansas, September 15, 1861.  Received a good common school education, enough to make his way through the world, he thought, and has had no reason to complain so far. On March 23, 1882, was united in marriage to Miss Emma L. Saffle, to which union nine children were born, eight of whom are still living: Jennie, Hadie, Jeff, Winnie, Daisy, Ora, Clarence, and Frank. Mr. Davis is one of the firm of Davis Bros., who own 1,280 acres of good land and pasture 6,000 head of cattle. Is also one of the firm of Fields & Davis, who deal largely in real estate, make loans, and write insurance. Mr. Davis owns one of the coziest homes in Alma and has hosts of friends who hope he may long enjoy it.

Out for a round up.

We might say "swapping work", a custom among cattlemen of  assisting one another in rounding up and cutting out cattle suitable  for the market or shipping. Named from left to right: Sell Fields.  Fred Bates, Ed. Buckingham, John Berroth, Chet Davis, Al Davis, A. S. Allendorph and Tom Mankins. Though several ciphers would be required to indicate the property holdings of several of these parties, all are cowboys for the time being and either one can rope a steer with the ease of any expert on the range.

August Brasche

push to enlarge.

Was born June 13, 1820. Came to Wabaunsee county in 1857. from Wyandotte, where he first located, running the largest drugstore in the city. On June 11, 1866, was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Schultz, of West Branch. Dr. Brasche was elected coroner March 28, 1859, and was re-elected six times in succession. Was township treasurer several terms and was eight times elected township trustee, holding that office at the time of his death, on March 19, 1883, after a few days illness with pneumonia, leaving an estimable wife, three sons and a daughter to mourn the loss of a kind husband and father, a most estimable citizen, and one who was probably more widely known than any other man in the county. Dr. Brasche was a graduate of one of the best medical colleges in Europe, located at alverstadt,  Prussia. In early life entered the Prussian army as Surgeon with the rank of Lieutenant. Was more than usually proficient in the art of surgery and on many occasions demonstrated his thorough familiarity with every detail of his profession.
Note. Mr. Brasche, was electer coroner from 1859 through 1869.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Grasson DeWitt.

Captain Grasson DeWitt was born in Gallia county, Ohio, February 28, 1834, where he lived until about fourteen years old when he moved with his parents to Franklin county, Illinois, Here he grew to manhood, choosing farming and school teaching as his vocation and fitted himself for a civil engineer. In i860 he enlisted in the Civil war as an Illinois volunteer in the 110th., Regiment where he served as captain eighteen mouths, when he was honorably discharged on account of poor health. In 1863 he moved with his family to Humboldt, Kansas, where he served in the militia about two years. He bought a farm two and a half miles west of Humboldt upon which he lived for thirty-seven years. He was quite a public spirited man, taking a very active part in all public issues. He wa,s ever a true Republican and by this party was elected to the oflRce of County Surveyor which he held almost continuously for thirty-five years. He held the office of County Superintendent one term and represented his county two terms in the State Legislature. These offices he filled with much credit to his constituents. There was hardly a square section in the county which he had not surveyed and knew fully as well as the owner himself.

He was a man of sterling integrity, a deliberate thinker never jumping at conclusions and seldom ever losing his point in an agument. He united with the Missionary Baptist denomination when quite a young man and clung very tenaciously to this belief until his death which occurred April 9th, 1901.

Henry H. McCormick, on February 22, 1881, was united in marriage to Jennie DeWitt, daughter of Captain Grasson DeWitt.

It also should be noted that Grasson DeWitt, was elected Surveyor in 1872 and for the falling years: 1875, 1879, 1851, 1885, and 1893.  He was elected Rep. 15th., Dist., in 1894, was again elected Surveyor in 1899.

Father was Thomas Jefferson DeWitt.
Mother was Amazonia Davis.

You can find more about his family at the site of ( Find a Grave.)

Allen County, Civil War.

After the burning of Humboldt it was considered to be in danger, and a military post was established there. There were no events of note until the Price raid in 1S64, The militia of the county was organized into a liattalion, known as the Allen County Battalion, and was composed of six companies, three from lola and the northern part of the county, two from Humboldt, and one from the extreme southern part of the county. The officers were: C. P. Twiss, Colonel: Watson Stewart, Major. Among the Captains were J. M. Moore and Grasson DeWitt of Humboldt.

He was found under this spelling.

Rank: Captain.
Company: F.
Unit: 110 IL US INF.
Residence: FRANKLIN CO, IL.
Age: 28.
Height: 5' 10.
Hair: DARK.
Eyes: BLUE.
Complexion: FAIR.
Marital Status: MARRIED.
Occupation: FARMER.
Nativity: GALLIA CO, OH.
Joined When: AUG 15, 1862.
Joined Where: BENTON, IL.
Period: 3 YRS.
Muster In: SEP 11, 1862.
Muster In Where: CAMP ANNA, IL.
Remarks: MUSTERED OUT MAY 8, 1863.

Kansans in the Philippin-Anerican War 1898.

On May 14, 1898, at Topeka, the men of the 20th., Kansas Infantry was mustered in and the next day they boarded a train for San Francisco, then they were ship to Manila. The list below are of those who didn't come back.

Commissioned Officers: Alfred C. Alford, of Lawrence, first lieutenant of Company B. Shot in the head and killed instantly on February 7th, in an engagement three miles north of Manila.

David S. Elliott, of Independence, captain of Company G. Shot through the body and killed on Februan' 28th, at Caloocan.

William A. McTaggart, of Independence, second lieutenazit of Company G. Shot in the head and killed on May 4th, at Santo Tomas.

Non-commissioned Officers:Oscar Mallicoat, of Virgil, corporal of Company K. Shot in the head at Caloocan on February 23rd, and died in the hospital in Manila on February 24th.

A. Jay Sheldon, of Osawatomie, quartermaster sergeant of Company I. Wounded in an action a mile and a half north of Manila on Febi-uary 7th, and died in the hospital at that city on February 9th.

Morris J. Cohen, of San Francisco, sergeant of Company B. Shot in the head and killed at Caloocan on March 23rd.

Robert M. Lee, of Manhattaii, corporal of Company P. Died of disease on the way home on transport "Tartar."

Musicians: Oscar G. Thorp, of La C.vgne, bugler of Company F. Shot in the head and killed at Caloocan on March 11th.

Orlin L. Birlew, of Independence, member of the regimental band. Shot in the head and killed at Guiguinta river on March 29th.

Privates: Charles E. Pratt, of Salina, Company M. Shot in the head and killed in an engagement one and a half miles north of Manila, on February 5th.

Ivers J. Howard, of Kansas City, Kansas, Company B. Shot in the stomach and killed at Calooean on February 10th.

Alonzo V. Ricketts, of Stanton, Company I. Shot in the breast and killed at Calooean on February 10th.

George H. Monroe, of Marinette, Wisconsin, Company F. Shot in the head and killed at Calooean on February 23rd.

Larry Jones, of Pittsburg, Company D. Wounded in the head at Calooean on February 25th, and died at Manila on the same day.

Howard A. Olds, of Fort Scott, Company F. Wounded in the abdomen at Calooean on February 26th, and died at Manila on February 27th.

James W. Kline, of Kansas City, Kansas, Company L. Shot in the head and killed at Calooean on March 13th.

John C. IMuhr, of Westphalia, Company E. Shot through the left lung on March 23rd at Calooean and died there on March 24th.

Hiram L. Plummer, of Garnett, Company E. Shot in the head and killed near Calooean on March 25th.

Albert S. Auibal, of Independence, Company G. Shot below the heart in an action near Calooean and killed on March 25th.

Curran C. Craig, of Garnett, Company E. Wounded in the abdomen in an engagement near Calooean on March 25th, and died at Manila on March 26th.

Troy E. Fairchild, of McCune, Company D. Shot in the head and killed in an action near Polo on March 26th.

William Keeney, of Topeka, Company I. Shot in the head and killed at Marilao river on March 27th.

John Scherer, of Los Angeles, California, Company G. Shot in the heart and killed at Marilao river on I\Iareh 27th.

William Carroll, of Frontenac, Company D. Shot in the head and killed at Marilao river on March 27th.

Alvah L. Dix of Independence, Company D. Shot in the head and killed at Guiguinta river on March 29th.

Samuel M. Wilson, of Salina, Company M. Shot in the head and killed at Guiguinta river on March 29th.

Adrian A. Hatfield of Topeka, Company I. Wounded in the neek at Marilao river on March 27th, and died in the hospital at Manila on March 31st.

Joseph A. Wahl, of Lawrence, Company H. Wounded in the neek at Marilao river on March 27th, and died in the hospital at Manila on March 31st.

Resil Manahan, of Topeka, Company A. Shot and killed at Calumpit on April 26th.

Henry H. Morrison, of Salina, Company M. Shot in the chest at Apalit on April 27th, and died in the hospital at Manila on April 29th.

Merton A. Wilcox, of Lawrence, Company H. Shot in the stomach and killed at Santo Tomas on May 4th.

William Sullivan, of Topeka, Company A. Shot in the groin and killed at San Fernando on May 24th.

Ernest Ryan, of Abilene, Company L. Wounded in the abdomen at San Fernando on May 24th, and died in the hospital at Manila on May 25th.

Albert Fenigs, of Yates Center, Company E. Died in San Francisco on June 17th.

Orville R. Knight, of Fort Scott, Company F. Died in San Francisco on June 24th,

Louis Moon, of Kansas City, Kansas, Company B. Died at San Francisco on June 24th.

Harry Pepper of Topeka, Company L. Died in San Francisco on June 26th.

Clifford K. Greenough, of Bennington, Company L. Died in San Francisco on June 24th.

Cecil Flowers, of Kansas City, Company L. Died in San Francisco on July 22nd. and buried at the Presidio on July 23rd.

Wilson H. JfcAUister, of Salina. Company M. Died in San Francisco on July 10th, and remains shipped to Miltonvale on July 12th.

John H. Bartlett, of Watson, Company F. Died at San Francisco on July 14th.

Elmer Mclntyre of Neosho Falls, Company E. Died in San Francisco on August 24th, and interred in Presidio cemetery on August 28th.

Louis Ferguson, of Kansas City, Kansas, Company B. Died at Manila on December 24th.

Dalias Day, Paola, Company I. Died at his home in Paola, Kansas on November 2nd.

William Vancil, of Fort Scott, Company I. Died on board transport "Indiana" on December 7th.

Raymond B. Dawes, of Leavenworth, Company C. Died at Honolulu on November 22nd.

Edward A. Rethemeyer, of Topeka, Company A. Died of small pox at Manila on January 8, 1899.

Eteyl P. Blair, of Topeka, Company A. Died of smallpox at Manila on January 11, 1899.

John D. Young, of Wamego, Company A. Died of smallpox at Manila on January 15, 1899.

Charles Graves, of Centralia, Company C. Died in hospital at Honolulu on November 25, 1898.

Bert Cornett, of Torento, Company E. Died of smallpox at Manila on January 3, 1899.

William B. Bash, of Fort Scott, Company F. Died of smallpox at Manila on January 6, 1899.

Powhattan T. Hackett, of Fort Scott, Company P. Died of smallpox at Manila on January 9, 1899.

Louis R. Badger, of Kansas City, Kansas, Company F. Died of smallpox at Manila, January 10, 1899.

Benjamin W. Squires, of Junction City, Company L. Died of smallpox at Manila on January 11, 1899.

Norman E. Hand, of Abilene, Company L. Died of smallpox at Manila on January 18, 1899.

David L. Campbell, of Junction City, Company L. Died of smallpox at Manila on January 19, 1899.

Charles B. Snodgrass, of Minneapolis, Company B. Died of smallpox at Manila on February 2, 1899.

Fred Maxwell, of Richmond, Company K. Died of smallpox at Manila on February 23, 1899.

Sim P. Barber, of Abilene, Company L. Died of smallpox at Manila on March 27, 1899.

Fred Maxfield, of Kansas City, Kansas, Company B. Died at Manila on June 12, 1899.

Guy Nebergall, of Newton, Company I. Died of disease at Manila on May 5, 1899.

Isaac C. Cooper, of Kansas City, Kansas, corporal of Company B. Died of smallpox at Manila on February 1, 1899.

John M. Ingenthron, of Westphalia, Company L. Died of disease on way home on the transport "Tartar."

George W. Mills, of Silver Lake, Company I. Died of disease in the general hospital at San Francisco after the return of the regiment.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Marshals of Kansas.

City Marshals of Hiawatha, Brown County, Kansas.

In 1871, James A. Pope, was elected City Marshal.

C. P. Corning,appointed City Marshal, April 6, 1872; 1873, was appointed Constable.

B. F. Devinney, appointed City Marshal, April 10, 1873, was appoined Constable 1877.

Charles Wolf, City Marshal, 1874-1876.

George T. Woodmansee, was Constable from 1870 to 1874; was appointed City Marshal 1875; 1876, was City Marshal & City Attorney; was Constable in 1883.

Henry Huff, was appointed City Marshal, November 6, 1879, again in 1880, 1881.

F. L. Payne, was appointed City Marshal, September 4, 1882, again in 1883, was removed on May 15, 1883.

George H. Wheeler, appointed City Marshal, May 15, 1883.  Nothing is said about him until October 31, 1885, when he shows up in the county jail as prisoner where he announces himself as candidate for sheriff.

Alexanser C. Foster, Was made a Constable in 1883, April 29, 1898, was appointed City Marshal, again on April 7, 1890.  In the civil war, enlisted in 7th., Kansas Cavalry, Co C., August 31, 1861.  Reenlisted as a veteran, January 1, 1864, residence Highland, mustered out with regiment September 29, 1864.

City Marshal of Hamlin City Brown County Kansas.

Cyrus Holmes, was appointed City Marshal, of Hamlin City, April 1, 1890, and again on April 4, 1892, again on April 3, 1893, was also made Street Commissioner.

C. D. Fisher, was appointed City Marshal, 1892, again on April 2, 1894, and again on April 1, 1895.
L. A. Nitsche, was also appointed City Marshal on April 1, 1895.  The city appointed two marshal that year.

City Marshal of Horton, Kansas, Brown County Kansas.

H. F. Killian, was appointed City Marshal in 1893, again in 1898.

City Marshal of Morrill, Kansas, Brown County, Kansas.

C. H. Morion, apponited City Marshal on April 5, 1897, and held that up to 1897.

City Marshal of Belleville, Kansas, Republic County, Kansas.

Willis C. Allen, was appointed City Maarshal, January 26, 1878.

City Marshaal of Winfield, Kansas, Cowley County, Kansas.

C. W. Richmond, was appointed First City Marshal, on March 7, 1873. 

City Marshal of Wichita, Kansas, Sedgwick County, Kansas.

When Wichita, was incorporated into a city in 1871, Ike Walker, was appointed it's first City Marshal.
In 1872, Wichita became a second class city, and Mike Meagher was appointed it's City Marshal.

In 1910, F. S. Burt, was City Marshal.

City Marshal of Abilene, Kansas, Dickson County Kansas.

Abilene was incorporated on September 6, 1869, Thomas Smith, was appointed City Marshal.

City Marshal of Argentine, Kansas, Wyandotte County, Kansas.

In 1882, Argentine, Kansas, was incorporated into a third class City, and Charles Duvall, was appointed it's City Marshal.

City Marshal of Abilene, Kansas, Dickson County, Kansas.

Abilene, was incorporated in September 6, 1869, Thomas Smith, was elected City Marshal.

City Marshal of Argentine, Kansas, Wyarndotte County, Kansas.

Argentine, was incorporated in 1882, Charles Duvall was elected City Marshal.

City Marshal of Atchison, Kansas, Atchison County, Kansas.

Atchison, elected it's officers on February 12, 1852, John S. Stein, was elected City Marshal.

City of Carbondal, Kansas, Osage County, Kansas.

Carbondal, was incorporated as a third class city, October 15, 1872, J. S. Conwell, was elected  City Marshal.

City Marshals of Cherryvill & Coffeyville, Kansas, Montgomery County, Kansas.

Cherryvall, became a third class city, 1880, M. F. Wood, was elected City Marshal.

Coffeyville, was incorporated into a third class city, 1872, G. A. Dunlap, was elected City Marshal.

City Marshal of Cottonwood Falls, Kansas, Chase County, Kansas.

Cottonwood Falls, became a third class city, 1872, M. C. Neton, was elected City Marshal.

City Marchal of Emporia, Kansas, Lyon County, Kansas.

Emporia, became a third class city 1870, W. A. Randolph, was elected City Marshal.

City Marshals of Grenola & Howard, Kansas, Elk County, Kansas.

Grenola, became a third class city, 1880, C. A. Kelso, was elected City Marshal.

Howard, became a third class city, 1877, J. A. Oliphant, was elected City Marshal

Saturday, June 9, 2012

William H. Earl & Charles N. Eral.

William H. Earl was born in Richland county, Ohio, November 2, 1829. Moved with his parents to Indiana. Came to Kansas in 1809, locating on a homestead one mile east of Eskridge, where he died December 20, 1885. In 1877, Mr. Earl opened a small country store at the "Corners." In 1880, when the M. A. & B. was completed to Eskridge the small stock of goods was removed to the new town, and from a small beginning a large trade was soon established. After his death, in 1885, the business was continued under the firm name of Earl Bros., until Charlie's death, November 23, 1899, since which time Mr. W. H. Earl, Jr., has conducted one of the largest dry goods and grocery stores in the county. In the Civil war Mr. Earl was a member of the 4th Iowa Battery, the photograph showing him in his uniform being the only one available. Of the family but four children survive, two of the daughters living in Washington and two sons in Eskridge, Mr. Ed. Earl and Mr. W. H. Earl, Jr., proprietor of the store.  In November of 1883, W. H. Earl's house bruned near Eskridge; loss was $2,000.

Mr. Charlse N. EARL  was one of the men holding official place in Wabaunsee county who died in office. He had been mayor of his home town, Eskridge, two terms, and was serving his second term as county commissioner He came to Wabaunsee county in 1869. with his parents, when he was but a small boy. Grew up in the old home near the "Corners," of  which his father's homestead was a part. Carried on the mercantile business, the legacy of his father, for twenty- live years, and during that time never turned a deaf ear to the needy nor refused to lend a helping hand to the distressed. Mr. Earl died December 28, 1899. His estimable widow and an only daughter reside in Eskridge a town in which Mr. Earl always took a leading part in the upbuilding.

Henry G. Webb.

Hon HENRY G. WEBB, who has faithfully served in many official capacities of public trust since entering upon his business career, is a lawyer of high legal attainments, and a gentleman whiose opinions carry great weight, and are respected throughout Labette county. He has been located in Parsons since January. 1889, and is in partnership with J. W. Iden, which Conjunction makes one of the strongest legal firms in this section of Kansas. Judge Webb was born in Ridgeberry township, Bradford county, Pennsyhania, and is a son of Hon. John L. Webb.

Hon. John L. Webb was a native of Fairfield county, Connecticut, where he was reared and educated. He moved to Bradford county, Pennsylvania, to begin his active business career, and engaged in contracting and building.  He was one of the contractors of the North Branch Canal in Northern Pennsylvania. He was a Democrat and served as county commissioner, sheriff, and filled two terms in the state legislature. He was united in marriage with Anise Hammond, a native of Chemung county. New York, and they became the parents of seven children, four of whom are still living. Henry G. Webb was reared to manhood in Pennsylvania. He studied law under the direction of Judge John C. Knox, and in September, 1848, was admitted to the bar at Wellsboro, Pennsylvania. In 1849, he located at Princeton, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in the practice of his profession until 1868;in that year he moved to Mound City, Linn county, Kansas. In the spring of 1870, he located in Oswego, Kansas, and in the fall of the same year was chosen judge of his judicial district, and officiated as such until 1873.

He then resigned and formed a partnership with W. B. Glass, which lasted for nine years. He was subsequently associated with L. C. True, for fifteen months, after which he moved to Cherokee county, Kansas. There he resided until January, 1889. when he located in Parsons. He formed a partnership with C. L. Caldwell, which continued until 1893, and later, became a partner of J. N. Iden, with whom he is now associated. He is a man of great experience in matters pertaining to his profession, and has rendered excellent services to the city, as its attorney, the past few

Judge Webb was united in marriage. May 20, 1849, to Susan J. Abbott, who died September 3, 1864, leaving a daughter, Emma E., the wife of C. C. Wenzell, of Kansas City. He formed a second union in 1866, Amanda J. Gower becoming his wife. In politics, he is a Republican, and in i860 was elected to the state legislature of Wisconsin. In '1864, he was elected to the senate of the same state, and was reelected in 1866. In 1876, he was elected to the state legislature of Kansas. Fraternally, Judge Webb was a member of Lodge No. 33, A. F. & A. M., of Mound City, Kansas. He is now a member of Parsons Lodge. No. 117, A. F. & A. M.; Oswego Chapter, R. A. M. ; and Oswego Commandery, K. T. He also belongs to Magnolia Lodge, 1. O. O. F., of Mound City, Kansas.

Thursday, June 7, 2012



Few men had more to do witli the growth and development of Blue Rapids, Marshall county, and few were held in greater esteem for their good work than was Dr. Rufus Swain Craft, a native of Winchester, Virginia, where he was born on February 11, 1831, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Hines) Craft. Doctor Craft first came to the state of Kansas in 1859 and was ever active in the affairs of his home community, until the time of his death on Alarch 8, 1908.

Samuel Craft was born in the state of New Jersey in 1808, and was the son of Benjamin Craft and wife. The father was a native of Maryland, where he received his education and there grew to manhood, when he located in New Jersey. The Craft family was, without doubt, of Welsh origin ; the
great-grandfather of Doctor Craft came to America in the middle of the eighteenth century and located in Maryland, where he was married and where he died a great many years ago. Benjamin Craft, the grandfather of Doctor Craft, after a residence of some years in New Jersey, located near Zanesville, Ohio, which at that time was known as the far West. There he and his family established their liome on a farm, and there the father died. 

The son, Samuel, who came to Ohio with his father, learned the trade of a shoemaker at Zanesville. He followed this work for a number of years and worked at difTerent places, and it was while working at Georgetown, D. C,  that he met and married Elizabeth Hines. For a time after their marriage they lived at Georgetown, after which they moved to Winchester, Virginia, and from there to Lawrenceburg, Indiana, in 1833. Samuel Craft spent many years of his life in Lawrenceburg, and in 1870, he came to Kansas, where his son was then living. Some time after coming to the state he engaged with the Santa Fe Railroad at Topeka, and remained with the company until a week before his death, which occurred in January, 1888, at the age of eighty-six years. His wife, Elizabeth Craft, was a native of the District of Columbia, and died at her home in Lawrenceburg in 1844.

Some years after the death of his first wife, Samuel Craft was married to Jane Boice, who died at her liome in Topeka, Kansas, in 1887. The early members of the family of Elizabeth (Hines) Craft were the owners of the site of the city of Washington and were prominent factors in the social and civic life of their time. They were descendants of the Swain families of Virginia and of John Wolfe and Pocahontas.

To Samuel and Elizabeth (Hines) Craft were born three children: Samuel A., Julia, the wife of George W. Denies, and Rufus Swain, all of whom are now deceased with the exception of Mrs. Benies, of Indianapolis, Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Craft were excellent people, educated and refined.  Mr. Craft was an honest and industrious man, and devoted his life to his trade until he accepted employment with the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad at Lawrenceburg. He was active in the Masonic order and in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and at the time of his death, it was said that he was the oldest member of the latter order in the state. Few men of the community were held in higher regard, and at his funeral on one of the coldest days of the year, an imposing cortege composed of Masons, Odd
Fellows, railroad employees and friends, followed his remains to the grave.

Rufus Swain Craft, wIkj was but two years of age when his parents established their home in Lawrenceburg, was reared in that city and there received his educational training in the public schools and the Lawrenceburg Institute. AA'hile pursuing his studies in the latter school, where he was taking up the study of medicine, the Mexican War started. He was but sixteen years of age at the time, yet he laid aside his studies and passing himself for eighteen years, he enlisted in the Fourth Indiana Infantry, and saw active service under General Taylor and General Scott. He was with the forces at battles of Huamantla and Atalixco and the siege of Pueblo, in addition to many other skirmishes. After having served for some fourteen months, he returned to Lawrenceburg in 1848 and continued his study of
medicine in the institute of that place. After completing the work, he was employed as an instructor in the institution for a time, and later attended medical lectures in Cincinnati, Ohio. He had then reached his majority, and emigrated to Putnam county, Missouri, where he entered the practice of medicine with his uncle. Dr. John Hines. He remained here for four vears, when he located in Harrison county, Missouri, where he engaged in the practice until 1859, when he located in Holton, Jackson county, Kansas.

Doctor Craft was always interested in mill enterprises and. in 1865, he with his brother and a third partner decided to make a tour of inspection of some of the rivers of the state. Doctor Craft was given the section of  Blue Rapids; wlicre the llirecAverc to meet later. At this meeting it was  decided that tlie power at P)liie Rapids was tlie best, and the three, as partners, purchased twn hundred .and eighty-seven acres, at Blue Rapids, which also gave them tlie power further up the river. The .doctor porurchased in his own right, seventy acres, which now adjoins Blue Rapids on the west. The propertv. held in partnershij). was held until i(S70, when the tract was sold to the Genesee cokmy, which laid out the town of Blue Rapids. Up to the time of the platting of the town. Doctor Craft was a resident of Holton, but in 1872 he moved to Blue Rapids, the town he helped lay out and here he began his medical practice in Marshall county. He also conducted a drug store, one of the first in this section. He later owned the building in which he had his office and wiiere he conducted his store.

Alwavs interested in the milling business, Doctor Craft was one of the group of men who Iniilt the stone flouring-mill on the east side of Blue river, next the dam that had been constructed. This mill was operated until 1876 ])v Olmstead Brothers, at which time it was under the direction of J- S. Wright & Company. Doctor Craft still retained his interest in the mill he had assisted in establisliing and which had so much to do with the early progress of Blue Rapids. In August, 1887, the mill was sold to P. H. JMcHale, and the doctor retired from the business. To him has ever been
given much of the credit for the establishment of one of the important industries of the city. For many years the milling enterprises of Blue Rapids liave been recognized as among the greatest in this section of Kansas, and their products have become known throughout the confines of many a state. At the time Doctor Craft disposed of his interests in the mill, he also disposed of his interest in Jackson county, where he devoted his time and attention to the practice of his profession. For many years he was the leading practitioner of this section, and in later years he had an extensive office practice. His careful attention to business and his excellent ability and knowledge of medicine, won for him the highest commendation of the people of the district, and won for him a high place in the profession. Few men won higher approval in their work and few were held in greater regard and esteem.

On October 16. 1852, Rufus Swain Craft was united in marriage to Anna B. Bledsoe, in Putnam county, Kansas. Mrs. Craft was born at Ghent, Carroll county, Kentucky, where her forefathers had settled on their removal from Virginia. She was of a well-known family in her native state, many of whom became prominent in the various affairs of the state and nation. Her uncle, Jesse Bledsoe, was a well-known United States senator, and another uncle, Lewis Saunders, was one of the very first residents of the state to engage in the importation of fine stock, for which the Bkie Grass state has since become famous. Mrs. Craft was born on January lo, 1834, and was the daughter of Aaron and Ehnore (Bond) Bledsoe, the father being a native of Virginia, and the mother of the state of Pennsylvania, she having been born near the town of Beaver. Both the Bledsoe and Boyd famihes were prominent in their native states, and after their location in the Blue Grass region, they were among the influential and prosperous people of the state. The family was a worthy one, and to them is due much of the wonderful advancement and progress of the state that is known the world over, for its fine horses and splendid cattle.

To Rufus Swain and Anna B. Craft were born the followino- children : George, William, Ella, Samuel Adolphus, Emma, Julia and Edward. George, a bright young man of nineteen years, had completed the work in the local schools and had entered the medical department of the Campbell University at Holton, when he was taken with consumption. His father took him to Colorado, Mexico and California, in the hope of some relief, but the dread disease had taken too firm a hold and he passed away at Santa Anna, California, on July I, 1887; William R. died in infancy; Ella completed her education in the local school and married Clement E. Coulter, the son of William and Eliza (Lince) Coulter. His parents were natives of Ireland and were of a prominent family. His paternal great-grandfather was a major in the British army, but his son Charles, the grandfather of Clement E., was
reared on the home farm in the native land.

Charles Coulter was married in Ireland to Jane Cluxton, a native of the County Louth. To this union six children were born, all of whom came to America with their parents, with the exception of William and his sister, Jane, who later came to the new land. William Coulter was a man of much ability and possessed of a high education, having completed the course of study at the classical school of Cootehill, and later attained a high place as an apothecary, and took an active part in helping the victims of the cholera scourge in Ireland in 1831. In 1842 he was united in marriage to Eliza Llnce, a native of Dublin, Ireland, and a woman of pleasing qualities and loved by all who knew her. They were the parents of twelve children, two of whom died in infancy, the others receiving an excellent education in the higher institutions of learning.

The son, Clement E., graduated from schools of pharmacy, both in Canada and Philadelphia, and later entered the drug business with his father-in-law, Doctor Craft, at Blue Rapids, where he and his wife were among the prominent and active members of the local social life, vmtil the time of her death on December 29, 1888; Samuel Adolphus was born in the northern part of Missouri and (lied at the ai^e of six years; Emma died at the age of three years, and Edward, at the age of two years; Julia received her education in the local schools and later was united in marriage, on Decemljer 25, 1882, to Henry I. Hewitt, one of .the well-known and prosperous residents of the county, who was born in Ohio. To this union one son.

George C, was born, whose birth occurred on December 20, 1886. He completed his education in the high school of Blue Rapids and later entered the employ of the American Refining and Smelting Company and is now located at Garfield, Utah, and is one of their trusted and valued men. Henry I. Hewitt, who was for many years an employee of the Canton, Ohio, Bridge Company, died at Elyria, Ohio, on December 1, 1912. During his employment with that company he and his wife maintained their home in Blue Rapids, where Mrs. Hewitt was one of the charter members of the Order of the Eastern Star. The early members of the Hewitt family settled at Southport, Connecticut, on the mother's side. On the father's side, at Middletown, Maryland, and later moved to the Western Reserve in Ohio. The mother of Henry I. Hewitt, Elizabeth Hewitt, was a woman of much ability and was noted for her great memory.  His grandmother, Eveline Woods, married Capt. George Smith, who was lost at sea, after which she married Doctor Sherwood, of Southport, Connecticut.  His death occurred some years later and she was then married to Philo Wells, W'ho lived to be ninety-nine years of age, and the grandmother, who was born on November 11, 181 1, lived until April 1, 1910.

Clement E. and Ella Coulter were the parents of three children : Edna, Royal and Anna. Edna received her education in the schools of Blue Rapids, and later married Frank Wigginton, who is a cousin of the present wife of President Woodrow Wilson. They now live at Wells City, Missouri, and are among the highly respected and influential people of the state. Royal S. and Anna Florence are now residents of Los Angeles, California.

Doctor Craft was a man of great personality, and while he was not in any sense a seeker after office, the people of Jackson county elected him county commissioner, county treasurer and to the state Legislature in 1862; he also served as a member of the city council of Blue Rapids for a number of years.  He filled these positions with dignity and honor, and displayed much ability and fidelity to the people of his community. He was a man of sound judgment on all professional and business matters, and his judgment and intellect were sharpened by his long years of experience and his contact with the general public. As a physician, he stood at the head of his profession in Marshall county, and his services were in constant demand. As a man of business he was always trusted and as. a citizen he was held in the highest regard and esteem by all who knew him. It was his effort at all times to work for the best interests of Bine Rapids and the surrounding country, and today his memory is held in reverence by all.