Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hugh Hicks Siverd, Winfield Kansas.

Push pictures to enlarge.
Hugh Hicks Siverd

Birth: Dec. 27, 1839, Cochranville, Chester County, Pennsylvania.
Death: Oct. 24, 1893, Winfield, Cowley County, Kansas.

The Remains of Captain H. Siverd Laid to Rest in the Union Cemetery.

Thousands of Friends and Citizens Follow the Murdered Officer to His Grave.

Hugh H. Siverd Type of Officer: Constable. Jurisdiction: Winfield. County: Cowley.
Death Date: 10/25/1893.

Circumstances of Death.

Constable Siverd arrested bootlegger Wilbur Norton on a warrant, and was taking him to jail when they were confronted by Morgan Wright, a friend of Norton's. Wright ordered Siverd to release Norton. Norton jumped to one side and Wright shot and killed the constable. A gold star in the sidewalk marks the spot of Siverd's death.

Burial: Union Cemetery, Winfield, Cowley County, Kansas.

The following was taken from the First Ohio Cavalry, Regimental History.


Hugh Hicks Siverd was born December 28, 1839, near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He was a spinner in a woolen mill when the war broke out. He died at Winfield, Kansas, October 25, 1895. He was shot and killed while in the performance of official duty.

Captain Siverd had arrested a desperado from the Indian Territory for some crime, and as he was taking his prisoner to jail one of the desperado s pals met them on the street and shot Captain Siverd, killing him instantly. He was held in high esteem by the citizens of Winfield, and his untimely death was mourned by hundreds of the best citizens. As a testimonial to his memory, the citizens of Winfield erected a beautiful monument over his grave.
Captain Siverd enlisted in Company B, First O. V. C., August 21, 1861, and was promoted to Sergeant-Major; promoted to Second Lieutenant, October 1, 1862; First Lieutenant, April 1, 1863; to Captain. December 14, 1864, and was mustered out with his regiment at Hilton Head, S. C., September 13, 1865, having served almost one month more than four years. Captain Siverd was an ideal cavalry soldier, full of dash, with an utter disregard of danger, and at all times full of enthusiasm.He was for a long time Provost Officer of the brigade, and many of the surviving members of the brigade will no doubt have a very distinct recollection that at some time during their service they w r ere put under arrest by Captain Siverd for straggling. He was one of the best known young officers in the regiment, as he was always at the front, and where there was a fight or any prospect of a fight, Captain Siverd was always found in line.

Bond Kansas Now Lone Star Kansas.

Lone Star is a very hard town to find any information on. Bond was started around 1875, but is not found on the county or township map of 1873, Bond ( Lone Star ), is in Marion township in section 1.  The first time we see Lone Star on any county or townships maps is in 1902.  It is believed that  Bond was name for Silas Bond, who was also Bonds first post master.  Boond changed its name to Lone Star in 1899.  It is recorded in history that the poople of Bond were having a meeting on what to name their new school.  undecided the meeting was over, will standing out side the meeting house they saw a Lone Star in the sky.  They decided that would make a good name, and so the town of Lone Star was born.

Gouglas County.
Marion Township Map, 1902.
On the township map Lone Star can be found in section 1.
Bond-Lone Star Post Office.
Bond Post Office open April 29, 1875 and ran to February 7, 1876, closed and reopen March 6, 1876 and ran to October 2, 1899.  Silas Bond was first Post Master, Name changed to Lone Star.  Lone Star Post Office open October 2, 1899 and ran to May 15, 1953.  John M. Flory, was first Post Master
Business man of Lone Star, 1902.
J. R. Woodward, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1855.
Lone Star, 1912.
Lone Star, a village of Douglas county, is located in the central portion 8 miles southwest of Lawrence, the county seat. It has a money order postoffice, some local trade, and in 1910 had a population of 75.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Gage to Basil Kansas.

Kingman County.
Richland Township Map, 1903.
Basil can be found on the county map at Township 29-South and Range 7-West.  On the township map Basil can be found in section 16.
Two Business men of Basil, 1903.
J. H. Nickell, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
H. J. Weatherford, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
Gage and Basil Post Office.
Gage Post Office open February 1, 1892, and ran to January1, 1901, Peter S. Kline, was frist post master.
Basil Post Office open February 1, 1901 and ran to June 15, 1942, William C. Blodgett was first post master.
There was no record on how Gage got its start nor why it chanded its name to Basil.
Basil Kansas, 1912.

Basil, one of the minor villages of Kingman county, is a station on the Hutchinson & Blackwell division of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. 12 miles south of Kingman, the county seat, with which it is connected by telephone. It is a trading and shipping point for that portion of the county and in 1910 had a population of 72.

Business men who used Basil as their P. O. address as of 1921.
Ralph Bentley, Sunny Brook Stock Farm.
C. T. Hess, Farmer.
John H. Kaufman, Syeamore Ranch.
J. D. Riggs, Farmer.
P. J. Thiel, Farmer.
Henry W. Voran, Farmer.
Ross Washburn, Farmer.
Note. Section 16 was at this time own by only two men, S. C. Cannon and O. C. Brand.  Basil sat on the land own by S. C. Cannon.  It look like Basil station sat on the land own by O. C. Brand.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Argonia Kansas.

Sumner County.
Dixon Township Map, 1883.
On the county map Argonia can be found in township 32-South and Rang3 4-West.  On the township map Argonia can be found in sections 17 & 16. 
The start of Argonia.
Argonia was projected by a town company which was oranized on March 9, 1881.  The directors for the first year were Joseph E. Hallowell, Marcus L. March, Daniel B. Harrison, Amos B. Cook, Elisha Parker and Benjamin Nicholson.  After a crop of wheat was taken off the town site in 1882, the building of the town began.  At present there about twenty-five business houses in the place.  All doing good business, its people are live, energetic men who drive business.
Argonia Post Office.
Aegonia post office open June 17, 1881 and ran to ?
Business men who used Argonia as their P. O. address as of 1883.
J. S. Baughman, M. D., Druggist and Physician, from Ohio, came to county 1882.
Amos S. Cook, Farmer, from Ohio, came to county 1874.
W. J. Crites, Farmer, from West Virginia, came to county 1878.
Levi Carkhuff, Propr. Jersey House, from New Jersey, came to county 1882.
Williaam H. Eddy, Farmer, from Illinois, came to county 1882.
B. H. Gass, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Arkansas, came to county 1880.
A. C. E. Gates, Dealer in Grain and Coal, from Illinois, came to county 1881.
D. B. Harrison, Farmer, from Pennsylvania, came to county 1875.
J. S. Hammond, Miller, from Indiana, came to county 1879.
J. C. Kilbourn, Farmer and Justice of the Peace, from Virginia, came to county 1878.
A. J. Leibert, Miller, from Pennsylvania, came to county 1882.
William Lindley, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Dealer, from Indiana, came to county 1879.
M. L. March, Farmer and Grain Dealer, from Ohio, came to county 1878.
Benjamin Nicholson, Farmer and Minister, from Indiana, came to county 1879.
John H. Nicholas, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Germany, came to county 1878.
E. Parker, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1878.
John Riley, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Wool Grower, from Ireland, came to county 1876.
Ezra Spencer, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1879.
L. A. Salter, Hardware Dealer, from Michigan, came to county 1882.
F. M. Sumpter, Farmer, from Kentucky, came to county 1877.
M. L. Smail, Farmer and Carpenter.
W. H. Stevenson, Dealer in General Merchanties, from Illinois, came to county 1872.
Argonia History as given in 1883.
Argonia is a live little town, of about 100 inhabitants, located on the K. C. L. & S. K. Railroad, near the west line of the county. It was laid out in February, 1881, by a town company, of which Joseph Hollowell, was president, D. B. Harrison, vice president, J. S. Hammond, treasurer, and M. L. March, secretary. The company purchased the town site of 70 acres from M. and J. P. Sumpter, H. W. Allen and L. Berlett. The mill property is encircled by, but is not part of, the townsite. Up to July, 1882, the town made but little progress, although lots were given all who would erect improvements to the value of $100, in the business part of the town. Residence lots were also given to those who would build upon them. The first store in the town was brought from the river by A. B. Cook, and opened with a general stock. A post office was soon opened, and Cook made Postmaster. A few months later he sold out to L. L. Crites, who soon after took the post office, which he still holds. The second store was opened by Story & Stevenson, and the third by Bryant & Anderson. A drug store was opened by J. S. Baughman, who was the first physician to locate here. A lumber yard was started by G. B. Shaw & Co., before Argonia was more than a name; the lumber being dumped upon the bare prairie. Carson, Baldwin & Salter started the first hardware store, and George Monyhan the first meat market. The town has never been incorporated, and is till in the hands of the town company, whose officers are: J. S. Baughman, president; M. Sumpter, vice president; M. L. March, treasurer; E. Spencer, secretary.
The Argonia Mills form a very prominent feature of the town, and were in existence before the building of the place was fairly begun. Work was begun on the buildings in March, 1882, and the machinery put in operation on September 12th of the same year. The mills grind 300 bushels of wheat and something over 200 bushels of corn, daily. Two run of buhr-stones are in use, and power if furnished by an engine of fifty horse power. The mill building is 46x30 feet, and two and one-half stories in height. The entire outfit costing $14,000, is owned by J. S. Hammond & Co. The town now has two general stores, one drug and one hardware; a good hotel, built in 1882, by Levi Cark- uff (sic); a meat market, two blacksmith shops, a livery and a lumber yard. Three regular grain buyers make headquarters at this point, and from July, 1882, to January, 1883, shipped over 50,000 bushels of grain, mostly wheat.

Argonia Biographical Sketches of 1883.
JOSHEPH ARNOLD, stock dealer, was born in Mifflin Township, Ashland Co., Ohio, in 1838, where he lived till he was twenty-five years of age, and received an academic education In the spring of 1873 he emigrated to Mason County, Ill., where he carried on farming for four years. In 1867 he engaged in the mercantile business at Maroa, at which he continued for two years. In 1873 he emigrated to Kansas, stopping for a few years in Belle Plaine, then to Springdale Township, and finally, on the 13th of March, 1883, he located in Argonia. Mr. Arnold was one of the organizers of the town, and wished to call it Maroa, but was outvoted and it was named Argonia. He owns farm property, and about ninety hogs. While living in Illinois he held the office of Justice of the Peace six years, and Assessor three terms, and in Kansas has also been Assessor three terms. He is an Ancient Odd Fellow. In 1856 he was married to Miss Sabina Campbell, of Ohio, by whom he had several children. His second wife was Miss Lucy Adams.

J. S. BAUGHMAN, physician, of the firm of Baughman & Gates, druggists, was born in Ohio in 1847. At the age of twenty he engaged in the dry goods and grocery business, which he carried on some three years, and in the meantime studied medicine under Dr. J. F. Kennedy, of Ohio. He attended clinics at the Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated from the same in the class of 1872. On receiving his degree he practiced his profession two years in Gaysport, Ohio; he then settled at his old home, where he practiced five years, when he returned to Gaysport and continued in the practice of his profession for two years more. In 1880 he emigrated to Kansas, stopping in Wichita. Here he opened a drug store, which he sold out after running it two years, and moved to Argonia, Sumner county, 1882. On his arrival the town had but seven buildings all told. Here he established his present business in connection with his profession. Both branches of his business are good, being in a growing, prosperous condition. He owns business and residence property. He was Town Clerk when in Ohio, and is now president of the Argonia Joint Stock Company, in proprietors of the town site. In January, 1881, the company was formed, the first papers being drawn up by Joseph Arnold. On the 3d of March, 1881, the first election of officers was held. The third election was held the first Saturday in January, 1883, it being the beginning of the fiscal year, when Dr. J. S. Baughman was elected president, E. M. Sumpter, vice-president, holding over Ezra Spencer secretary second term, and M. L. Marsh, treasurer. The company are offering lots to parties that will expend $100, either for business or residence houses. The town is situated in the valley of the Chikaskia, and surrounded with a splendid farming country. Dr. Baughman was married to Miss Frank Bozman, of Ohio, in 1874, and has two children - Berenice and Eva. Both are members of the Lutheran Church.

D. H. BRYANT, of the firm of Bryant & Anderson, dealers in general merchandise, was born in Illinois in 1836. His educational advantages were limited to the common schools, and his occupation , working on the farm. After having been engaged in the mercantile business for eighteen years, in 1879 he immigrated to Kansas, where he tarried for a time in Winfield, and then stopped in Wellington some three years, when he went to Argonia, July 5, 1882, unloading his goods in the street, and established his present business, and built the first business hours. In his former home in Indiana, Mr. Bryant filled the responsible office of Justice of the Peace four years, discharging its duties with credit to himself and eminent satisfaction to his constituents. In 1849 he was married to Miss W. M. Nichols, of Indiana, and has two children living - Alabama and Corwin. Besides his business property he owns several town lots.

A. CEASE, hotel proprietor and farmer, was born in Pennsylvania in 1824, where he was reared in the lumber business, and received a common school education. In 1849 he removed to Illinois, where he carried on farming operations till 1882, at which time he emigrated to Sumner County, Kansas, locating in Argonia, where he bought the hotel property, also a farm near town. Since buying the hotel he has made additions and improvements, with the view of affording accommodations to all who may favor him with a call. He was married to Miss Ellen Wendell of Pennsylvania, in 1845, and has nine children - Alvina, Siva, Emma J., Benjamin, Charles W., George Albert, Mary Jane, Frances, and Oscar J., all of whom are living but Benjamin. Mrs. Cease was a member of the Ladies' Aid Society of the Baptist Church.

J. E. HICKOCK, of the firm of J. E. Hickock & Sons, general merchants, was born in Troy, Bradford Co., Pa., in 1833. His educational advantages were fair. He was reared in the mercantile business. At one time in his life, 1856 to 1859, he farmed summers and taught school winters for three years in Illinois. In 1859, moved to Nodaway County, Mo.; made a farm; in 1869 improved another in Andrew County, Mo., fruit and grain. In 1877 he moved to Peabody, Kas. (sic), where he farmed for about two and a half years; prospecting also for a location and settled for a time in Anderson county, and improved a grain and stock farm, keeping about 150 head of stock. In April, 1883, he located in Argonia and bought a store 38x46, to which he has since made additions. He owns several town lots and a large farm in Allen County. He also owns a block in Colony, Anderson County, and while living there was a school officer. In 1858 he was married to Miss olive L. Bowen, of Erie County, N. Y., by whom he has eight children - James Elisha, William P., and Ella Blanch, twins; Charles D., Esther C., Mary A., Richard G. and Adelia A., all of whom are living except James Elisha and Adeila A. (sic). James Elisha was a young man of extraordinary talents and capabilities. He was a school teacher and student, and was fitting himself to enter the State University of Kansas at Lawrence; but the discharge of his duties as a teacher, and the close, unremitting application to his studies, undermined his health, and he had to succumb to the great inevitable. Mr. and Mrs. H. are both members of the Baptist Church.

C. H. HADLER, saddle and harness maker, was born in Prussia in 1848. When he was but two years of age his father died, and when eleven years old his mother immigrated to America, landing in New York, November 7, 1859, proceeding directly to Milwaukee via Chicago, and lived with a son (a farmer) who had preceded her. Young Hadler remained on the farm till seventeen years of age, when he went to Milwaukee to learn his trade. Having learned his trade he worked as a journeyman for seven years, when he immigrated to Kansas, and engaged in farming till 1882. In February, 1883, he located in Argonia, Sumner Co., Kan., and established his present business. He owns business property and improvements on school lands. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity. In 1873 he was married to Miss Dora Nichols, of Champaign, and has five children - Ida, Eddie, Flora, Lizzie and Johnny.

L. A. SALTER, of Corson, Baldwin & Salter, general hardware and agricultural implements, was born in Michigan, in 1858. He was reared as a farmer, obtaining what learning he could at the common schools. In 1871, his parents emigrated to Kansas. In the spring of 1879, he graduated from the Kansas Agricultural College, when he returned to his father's folks and made that his home until 1881. Early in 1882, he engaged with Corson & Baldwin, of Cherryvale, in the hardware store and tinshop, and in the following September he went to Argonia, where he established his present business. He owns business and residence property, and is a Notary Public. He is a member of the Order of Knights of Honor. He was married to Miss Susanna M. Kinsey, of Silver Lake, Kansas, in 1880, and has two children - Clarence E. and Francis Argonia. Francis Argonia was the first child born in the town, and from this circumstance his parents decided to give him that name. Mr. Salter is a young man possessed of the qualities of success, as is evidenced by his present position in the mercantile world.

Argonia Kansas, 1912.
Argonia, one of the incorporated towns of Sumner county is in Dixon township, on the Chikaskia river and at the junction of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and Missouri Pacific railways, 20 miles west of Wellington, the county seat. It has an international money order postoffice, from which .emanate four rural routes, express and telegraph offices, telephone connection, grain elevators, a good school system, and is the principal shipping and supply point for the western part of the county. Several religious demoninations, including the Baptists, Methodists, Friends and Presbyterians, are represented by neat houses of worship. The population in 1910 was 466.

Clarence to Bartholdi to Albert Kansas.

Barton County.
Walnut Township Map, 1902.
Albert can be found on the county map in Township 18-South and Range 15-West.  On the township map Albert can be found in sections 30 & 29 and 31 & 32.  I have no idea why they give so many section numbers as the town of Albert is all in section 29.
business men who used Albert as their P. O. address as of 1902.
John Bahr, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
Joseph Bahr, Farmer ans Stock Raiser.
William Cook, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
Joseph F. Haberman, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
A. J. Rabenseifner, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
Post Office History.
Claeence Post Office open October 26, 1874 and ran to February 3, 1887, changed its name to Bartholdi.  Bartholdi Post Occice open February 3, 1887 and ran to August 20, 1887.  Name changed to Albert. Albert Post Office open August 20, 1887 and rad to ?.   
Clarence to Bartholdi to Albert Kansas.
There is no record on why  Clarence changed its name to Bartholdi nor why Bartholdi changed its name to Albert.
Thomas J. Byrne, was first Post Master of Clarence.  William Wilkinson, was first Post Master of Bartholdi and first Post Master of Albert..
Albert Kansas, 1912.
Albert, a prosperous little town of Barton county, is near the western boundary, and is a station on the Great Bend and Scott division of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., 15 miles from Great Bend. Albert has a bank, a money order postoffice with one rural delivery route, large grain elevators, several good mercantile houses, and in 1910 re-ported a population of 250.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Hesper Kansas.

Douglas County.
Eudora Township Map, 1873.
On the county map Hesper can be found in Township-14 and Range-18.  On the township map Hesper can be found in section 28.
Hesper Kansas, 1883.
Lapeer is situated in the southwest part of the county, near the headwaters of Rock Creek, on gently undulating prairie. The first settlements were made in the vicinity of 1855, by George Shobert, Peter Dodder, James Baker and Samuel Hays. The town was so named after a town of the same name in Michigan. The first child born here was Eli Baker, November 2, 1856; the first marriage was that of B. L. Oldham, to Miss Elvira Baker, in the year 1857, and the first death that of an unknown many in 1859. The first school was taught in 1862, in a log cabin by Miss Anna Harber. The first schoolhouse was built in 1864, and located on Section 29, Township 14, Range 18. In August, 1864, Rev. A. C. Still preached the first sermon in this schoolhouse. The post office was established in 1856, and named Marion, S. Briniman being appointed first Postmaster. A store was opened in 1856, by Henry Briniman, by the side of the old Santa Fe road in the town of Marion. A grist mill was built in the winter of 1862-63, by Henry Hyatt.

Biugraphical Sketches, 1883.
J. H. BACHELOR, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Lapeer, was born in Tennessee September 27, 1833; moved, when a child, to Shelby County Ill., and from there to Franklin County, Mo.; came to Kansas in 1855, settled in Leavenworth County, and three years later, came to Marion Township and purchased a farm of 190 acres, which he has improved, erecting a substantial stone residence in 1873, at a cost of $1,500. During all the border troubles, Mr. Bachelor was never disturbed by either side, which he attributes to the fact of his keeping a close mouth, although loyal and true, believing in the right and justice of freedom. He was married in Leavenworth County, December 25, 1855, to Miss Margaret Plummer, by whom he has had eleven children - John F., Emma, Flora, Benjamin, William H., Mattie M. R., Maggie I. M., Charles, Grace M., Eva and Elizabeth - the two last named are dead. Mr. Bachelor was called into service during the Price raid, and participated in the battle of the Blue.
ROBERT S. DODDER, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Lapeer, was born in Oakland County, Mich., August 14, 1851; came with his father to Kansas in 1859, and located in Marion Township; owns 160 acres, besides working his mother's farm; married in Genesee County, Mich., June 28, 1879, Miss Sarah E., daughter of John Reed. They have three children - Edward W., Charles O. and Flora B. Mr. Dodder is a member of the Acacia Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M., of Lawrence. His father pre-empted the land on which he now resides. His father died February 7, 1875.

SILAS DODDER, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Lapeer, was born in Addison, Oakland Co., Mich., May 1, 1845; came to the State with his father in 1861; settled in Marion Township. Mr. Dodder owns 225 acres, all fenced, and about sixty acres under the plow, the balance in grass and pasture. During the Price raid, Mr. Dodder was called out in the State militia, and participated in the battle of the Blue. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Bailey, October 9, 1869. They have six children, viz., Hattie A., Homer R., Vera B,, Mary E., Pearl and Silas C. Mrs. Dodder is a member of the Methodist Church.

JOHN KELLEY, Jr., farmer, Section 31, P. O. Lapeer, born in Clark County, Ind., July 20, 1841, where he lived until 1858, when he came to Kansas and settled in Marion Township. He owns a farm of 138 acres, all improved. He enlisted August 20, 1862, in Company E, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry, served faithfully until the close of the war, and was discharged July 20, 1865, having been in the battle of Jenkins Ferry, and numerous skirmishes. He was married, in Marion Township, February 7, 1872, to Miss Marion M. Worthy. They have one child - Morris.

Hesper Post Office.
Hesper post office open September 23, 1868 and ran to July 20, 1900.
Hesper Kansas, 1912.
Hesper, a hamlet of Douglas county, is located in the eastern portion, 5 miles southeast of Eudora, from which it has rural free delivery. In 1910 it had a population of 36. The Friends have an academv at this place.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Holbrook Now Hallet Kansas.

Hodgeman County.
Hodgeman Township Map, 1907.
Hallet can be found on the county map at Township 23-South and Range 25-West.  On the township map Hallet can be found in section 33.
Three Business man who used Hallet as their P. O. address as of 1907.
William A. Ader, Farmer and Post Master, came to county 1880.
F. I.Burt, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1902.
Frank M. Schoen, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1887.
Post Office History.
Holbrook post office open September 20, 1887 and ran to April 20, 1905.  Name changed to Hallet.  Hallet post office open April 20, 1905 and ran to April 20, 1920.
Hallet Kansas, 1912.

Hallet, a post-hamlet of Hodgeman county, is situated in the town- ship of the same name, in the Buckner creek valley about lo miles southwest of Jetmore, the county seat and nearest railroad station.

Galva Kansas.

History of Galva Kansas, 1883.
The town of Galva was laid out on the southeast quarter of Section 21, and the southwest quarter of Section 22, Township 19, Range 2 west, on land belonging to the Marion & McPherson Railroad Company, in September 1879. It now contains nearly 100 people, several general stores, one drug store, one hotel, one lumber yard, a hotel and a livery stable. A good district school flourishes, and the educational advantages of the community are further increased by the 'Central Kansas Congregational Academy.' This institution was chartered in January, 1880, a building being erected, 18X32 feet, two stories high. It cost $1,000, and was completed during the summer. The founder of the Academy was Rev. B. F. Haskins. Its present principal is Rev. A. J. Umholtz; attendance, twenty-five. Galva station is quite a shipping point for grain and live stock. During the four months from July to November, inclusive, 393 cars of wheat where shipped from the station; two cars of broomcorn, etc. Good stock yards have been constructed, and, all in all, Galva is quite a promising point.


Empire Kansas & Galva Kansas History.
The town of Galva was incorporated in 1887, even though it was the site of a railroad camp in the 1870's. The building on Second & Main is the only original building left. At one time it had two stories and even had a skating rink on top. The buildings on the west side of the 200 block of Main were all replaced after the fire of 1930 destroyed the entire block.
Galva is the successor of the town of Empire which was located a couple of miles southeast of the current site of Galva. As early as 1823, the junction of the Santa Fe Trail and the California Road served as a regular stop for the wagon trains and travelers heading west. In 1855, Charles Fuller built a "ranch" just west of Turkey Creek which was the first white settlement in the county.

In 1875 Joseph J. Colby constructed the first permanent residence which was the beginning of Empire. Any hope for a prosperous future for Empire was shattered when a branch of the AT&SF railroad was completed September 23, 1879, passing north of Empire through the present site of Galva. It didn't take long for the residents of Empire to move their buildings north to the tracks. By 1880, even the post office was closed. The beginning of Galva meant the end of Empire, a town that ran its whole course of history in under ten years.  Empire first post master was Joseph J. Colby.
Galva Post Office.
Galva post office open October 1, 1879 and ran to ?  Alexander G. Robb, was first post master.
History of Galva Kansas, 1884.
Push to enlarge
McPherson County
Empite Township, 1884.
On the county map Galva can br found in Township 19-South and Range-2-West.  On the township map Galva can be found in sections 21 & 22.
Business men who used Galva as their P. O. address as of 1884.
W. S. Allen, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from New York, came to county 1873.
John A Brown, Grain Dealer, from Canada, came to county 1879.
J. J. Barnes, Farmer, from Missouri, came to county 1873.
G. H. Canfield, Farmer, from Pennsylvania, came to county 1880.
Loren L. Cramer, Farmer, from Illinois, came to county 1871.
M. M. Cogshall, Farmer, from Ohio, came to county 1872.
W. A. Cramer, Farmer, from Illinois, came to county 1872.
E. A. Dodge, Propr. "Galva House", from Pennsylvania, came to county 1872.
C. Drum, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1871.
W. G. Doughty, Merchant Miller, from Kentucky, came to county 1872.
Jacob J. Funk, Grain Dealer, from Russia, came to county 1883.
G. E. Foster, Farmer, from Maine, came to county 1873.
B. A. Gray, Merchant, from Tennessee, came to county 1875.
John Giffin, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Iowa, came to county 1873.
F. J. Gateka, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Germany, came to county 1874.
B. G. Horton, Merchant Miller, from New York, came to county 1872.
G. F. Haskins, Liveryman, from Iowa, came to county 1877.
F. E. Haskins, Liveryman, from Illinois, came to county 1877.
J. A. Hutton, Farmer, from Iowa, came to county 1872.
Ira E. Hawver, Farmer, from Indiana, came to county 1883.
D. C. Hawn, Farmer and Broom Manfr., from New York, came to county 1873.
D. A. Hill, Farmer and Plaster, from Maryland, came to county 1878.
W. P. McGill, Merchant, from Tennessee, came to county 1879.
W. M. Maddox, Farmer, from Ohio, came to county 1872.
J. B. Morse, Sr., Farmer, from New York, came to county 1873.
Joseph Meek, Farmer and Township Trustee, from Ohio, came to county 1873.
N. A. McGill, Farmer, from Tennessee, came to county 1878.
N. B. Priddy, Farmer, from West Virginia, came to county 1873.
Alex. G. Robb, Merchant, from Pennsylvania, came to county 1879.
John Richey, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1872.
James B. Robertson, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Scotland, came to county 1873.
Joseph Shirk, Farmer and Carpenter, from Pennsylvania, came to county 1875.
E. T. Stout, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1872.
F. P. Sturgeon, Farmer and Painter, from Illinois, came to county 1880.
J. W. Wallace, Farmer, from Tennessee, came to county 1872.
Isaac Walker, Farmer and Nurseryman, from Pennsylvania, came to county 1878.
T. F. Wiles, Merchant, from Ohio, came to county 1872.
R. Williams, Farmer, from West Virginia, came to county 1873.
Galva Kansas 1912.
Galva, one of the thriving little cities of McPherson county, is located in Empire township 8 miles east of McPherson, the county seat. It is well equipped with railroads, having the main line of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, and the Florence & Ellinwood branch of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. It is the receiving and shipping point for a large and prosperous farming district; is supplied with a bank, telegraph and express offices, and a money order postoffice with three rural routes. The population, according to the census of 1910, was 322. Galva was laid out in 1879 on lands belonging to the Marion & McPherson Railroad company. Good stock yards were constructed and a number of general stores opened. In 1880 the "Central Kansas Congregational Academy" was chartered and a building was erected at Galva at a cost of $1,000. Galva has always been prosperous, and is at present a city of the third class.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Carter Creek Now Fact Kansas.

Carter Creek Kansas, 1881.

James Carter, to whon Carter Creek owes its name, James Carter settled here about 1861, but went to war in 1862 and was killed.  J. A. D. Frazell took over his claim in July of 1866.

Clay County
Goshen Township map, 1881.
Carter Creek can be found on the county map at Township 6-South and Range 4-East.  On the township map Carter Creek can be found in section 7..
Business men who used Carter Creek as their P. O., address as of 1881.
Ann Appleton, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, came to county 1870.
M. H. Bushnell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Calhoun county, Michigan, came to county 1871.
D. H. Kulp, Farmer and Carpenter, from Holmes county, Ohio, came to county 1871.
Thomas S. Lloyd, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Wales, came to county 1870.
James B. Morris, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Morgan county, Illinois, came to county 1873.
James C. McCurdy, Farmer, Justice of the peace and Postmaster, came to county 1869.
William Riechers, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Allendorff, Hanover, Germany, came to county 1869.
Fritz Scheer, Farmer and Stock Raiser-Grower and Mason, from Hanover Germany, came to county ?
G. Wisner, Farmer and Engineer, from Lenawee county, Michigan, came to county 1873.
Carter Creek & Fact Post Office History. 
Carter Creek post office open April 25, 1872 and ran to September 20, 1872.  Established in Washington county, closed and reopen August 12, 1874 and ran to May 17, 1883, moved to Fact.  James Fiely was first postmaster, James C. McCurdy was second post master.

History says that Carter Creek moved about a mile to the site of Fact, but in truth it never moved but just Changed its name to Fact.  I found no record on why Carter Creek Changed its name. 

Fact post office open May 17, 1883 and ran to July 31, 1903.  Thomas S. Lloyd was first post master.

Clay County.
Goshen Township map, 1900.

Fact can be found on the county map at Township 6-South and Range 4-East. On the township map Carter Creek can be found in section 7..

Business men who used  Fact as their P. O., address as of 1900.
Patrick Flymm,Farmer, came tocounty 1881.
W. B. Hammel, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1879.
Thomas C. Ransley, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1871.
J. Wm. Riechers, Retied farmer, came to county 1870.
E. A. Riechers, Farmer, came to county 1870.
John Swenson, Farmer, came to county 1889.
Fact Kansas 1912.
Fact, a small hamlet in the northeast corner of Cfay county, is about 15 miles from Clay center, the county seat, and 8 miles from Palmer, the nearest railroad station, from which mail is received by rural delivery. The population in 1910 was 26.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Alvus H. Moffet.

Alvus H. Moffet, a prominent financier of Larned, Kan., bears a name which figured largely in the early history of Kansas, the actors being his father Dr. Chancy W. Mofifet and three of the latter's brothers Charles, Erastus. and Orlando Moffet mention of whose adventures and thrilling experiences long prior to and during the Civil war will be found in the other volumes of this work. Mr. Moflfet and his twin brother. Alvah C. Moffet, were born Dec, 1866, to Dr. Chancv W. and Emelia (Vancil) Moffet, at Vancil Point. Ill. Dr. Chancy W. Moffet was born Jan. 5, 1825, in New York state, to prents that also were natives of that state. He became a physician by profession. He first came to Kansas, in 1841, together with his three brothers, and was located for a few years at Old Wyandotte, where they hunted and traded with the Indians, buying horses and cattle.  They also hauled freight by wagon for the United States government to the Indians and soldiers. Later, when the town of Topeka was laid out. Dr. Moffet and his three brothers participated in the organization of the town.

They were all members of John Brown's anti-slavery organization. Erastus Moffet was captured by Ouantrill, but escaped from his prison by cutting a hole in the floor. Charles Moffet was also taken captive and was tried and sentenced to be hanged, but was liberated by his friends. Dr. Moffet married Miss Emelia Vancil, Aug. 23, 1849, and of iheir union were born eight children six sons and two daughters: Lot, born March 19, 1852, died in infancy Portia, who died Feb. 18, 1911, married Hiram Gilkerson and became the mother of four children ; Aletha died at the age of twenty-one ; Chauncey W. born in 1858. is in the cattle business in Arizona; Ocea. born in 1861, is a minister whose pastorate is at Tawas City, Mich.; Hosea Oren. born in 1863, is on the old homestead, at Modesto, Ill.; Alvah C., the twin brother of Alvus H.. is engaged in the banking business at Waverly, Ill.; and Alvus H. is the subject.

Dr. Chancy W. Moffet was an intimate friend of Gen. Sam Houston, the hero of the .Mamo who at the head of the Texas forces in revolt against Mexico, defeated and captured Santa Ana; was president of Texas from 1836 to 1841 ; was elected United States senator in 1845 and was elected governor in 1859. Dr Moffet lived in Texas from 1849 to 1861 and established the present town of Moflfet. in Bell county, that state. He met a tragic death in Texas, in 1870. at the hands of Texas outlaws. The mother died, in 1905, at Modesto, Ill. Alvus II. Moffet was educated under a private tutor until seventeen years of age. when he entered Shurtleff Collage at upper Alton. Ill. Later he took a business course at Jacksonville, Ill. in 1889 he came to Kansas and located at Garfield, where was organized the Garfield Banking Company, composed of Alvus II. and Alvah C. Moffel. Later their hank became a state bank. In

1896 they removed to Larned and established the Moffet Brothers Bank, and in 1897 they organized and opened a new bank at Garfield, known as the Garfield State Bank, which they still own and operate. In 1904 the Moffet Brothers Bank became the Moffet Brothers National Bank, of Larned, which is the only national bank in Pawnee county. It is one of the soundest financial institutions in that section of Kansas and has deposits averaging $500,000.  The Moffet Brothers also own the Rozel State Bank, of Rozel, Kan., which was organized in 1906. In the meantime, since coming to Kansas, they have bought large tracts of land and have been extensively engaged in stock raising.

Mr. Moffet is a Knight Templar Mason and an Odd Fellow. On March 25, 1888, he was married to Miss Edwina Buckler, of Upper Alton, Ill. She is a college graduate and talented in music. which she taught several years prior to her marriage. She is a daughter of William and Harriet Buckler, of Illinois, the former of whom was a native of Virginia and the latter was born in Xew York state. The father was accidentally killed in 1887, having been dragged to death by a cow. The mother now resides with her daughter, Mrs. Moffet. and has reached the advanced age of eighty-six years. Mrs. Moffet is assistant cashier of the Moffet Brothers National Bank, of Larned. and is closely identified with all of her husband's business interests. Both Mr. and Airs. Moffet enjoy a high standing among the people of Larned and of Pawnee county.

Elbing Kansas.

Bulter County.
Fairmont Township, map, 1905.
On the county map Elbing can be found in Township 23-South and Range 3-East.  On the township map Elbing can be found in section 16.
Elbing Post Office History.
Worth post office open March 16, 1886 and ran to November 2, 1887, moved to Elbing who's post office open November 2, 1887 and is still opne?
Businessmen who used Elbing as their P. O. address as of 1905.
H. K. Brown, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1870.
Jacob Dyek, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1892.
William Fisher, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1891.
O. A. Furman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1888.
I. Lambert, General Merchantidies, came to county 1888.
E. Langenegger, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1889.
William Parris, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1883.
Luther Reid, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1884.
Henry Rutsehman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1899.
A. C. Tucker, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1901.
Elbing Kansas 1912.
Elbing, a village of Fairmount township, Butler county, is a station on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R. near the northwest corner of the county, about 22 miles from Eldorado, the county seat. It has a bank, a money order postoffice with one rural route, express and telegraph offices, telephone connections, and is the principal trading point for that section of the county. The population in 1910 was 175.
Elbing Kansas 1916.

The town of Elbing is an enterprising little place, consisting of a bank, of which Herman Jackson is president, and D. C. Crosby is cashier ; two general stores, a hardware and implement store, lumber yard, together with a postoffice, blacksmith shop and other lines of business and all seem prosperous. More live stock is shipped from this point than any other point within 100 miles of it on the Rock Island railroad. For a number of years, the citizens of this town were com- pelled to go to Peabody in Marion county to get their mail- that being the nearest postoffice.


Monday, October 22, 2012

Colwich Kansas.

Sedgwick County.
Union Towhship map. 1901.
On the county map Colwich can be found in Township 26-South and Range 2-West.  On the Township map Colwich can be found in section 16.
Business men who used Colwich as their post office, address, as of 1901.
P. Briggs, Retired Farmer and Blacksmith, came to county 1871.
W. H. Briggs, Blacksmith, came to county 1874.
Herman Buack, Farmer, came to county 1897.
C. F. Hyde, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1871.
P. C. Learned, Farmer, came to county 1903.
George Osburn, Farmer, came to county 1872.
John B. Simons, Farmer, came to county 1878.
A. Samarsh, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1872.
Henry Stump, Farmer, came to county 1887.
Jos. Wapelhorst, Lumberman, came to county 1888.
Joseph Weber, Farmer, came to county 1894.
Constantine Winter, came to county 1886.
A. S. Young, Farmer, came to county 1885.
N. W. Young, Farmer, came to county 1901
F. C. Zenner, Merchant, came to county 1878.
Colwich Kansas 1912.

Colwich, a town in Union township, Sedgwick county, is a station on the Missouri Pacific R. R. 14 miles northwest of Wichita. It was settled in 1887, was incorporated some years later, and in 1910 reported a population of 258. Colwich has a bank, a grain elevator, an alfalfa mill, a hotel, Catholic and Methodist churches, a money order postoffice with two rural routes, express and telegraph offices, telephone connections, and is the shipping and supply point for a large agricultural district in the Arkansas valley.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Bala Kansas

History of Bala Township & The Town Of Bala, 1881.

Push to enlarge.

Riley County
Township map, 1881.

On the county map Bala can be found Bala in Township 8-South and Rande 4-East.  On the township map Bala can be found in section 35.
Riley County.
Township map, 1909. 
Not only will you find Bala in section 36, you will also find a Bala City in section 35.
Business men of Bala, 1881.
Rowland Davis, General Merchants; Deales in everything, from Cymru, Great Britain, came to county 1870.
William J. Griffths, General Blacksmith and Horseshoeing, from Gogledd, Cymru, Grate Britain, came to county 1970.
J. H. Jenkins, Druggist, Notary Public and land and Insurance agent, from Great Britain, came to county 1870.
Mary Jenkins, Dealer in Millinery, Dry Goods, Clothing and Notions, from South Wales, England, came to county 1876.
Ann Jenkins, from South Wales, came to county 1876.
James Sharples, Deales in General Merchandies and Peop., of Bala Cheese Factery.
Farmers who used Bala as their P. O., Address as of 1909.

R. Bennings, Farmer and Stock Raiser came to county 1878.
Pliver Booset, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1872.
Fred W. Bulk, Farmer, came to county 1885.
I (J?) W. Coltharp, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1877.
Nathan H. Day, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1877.
John T. Fear, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1877.
Ludwig Hoarman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1883.
George Layher, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1890.
V. E. Ljewelyn, Farmer, came to county 1978.
T. Martin, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1888.
E. A. Maxwell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1879.
Gustave F. Sand, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1882.
W. W. Simpson, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county1871.
Henry Tidyman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county ?

Bala Kansas, 1912.

Bala, a hamlet near the west line of Riley county, is located on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R. in Bala township, 29 miles northwest of Manhattan, the county seat. It is supplied with telegraph and express offices and a money order postoffice with one rural route. The population in 1910 was 100. It received its name from a town in North Wales. A. D. Phelps, the first settler in the neighborhood, came in 1862.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Altoona Kansas.

Wilson County.
Cedar Township Map, 1881
On the county map Altoona can be found in Township 29-South and Range 16-East.  On the township map Altoona can be found in section 16.
Business men who used Altoona as their P. O. address as of 1881.
The number is the section they lived in.
The date is the year they came to the county.
Push to enlarge.
History of Altoona as given in 1883.
Altoona, first known as Geddesburg, is located on the Verdigris river, ten miles east of Fredonia, the county seat. It was started in 1869 by a town company of which Dr. T. F. C. Dodd was president and J. N. D. Brown secretary. No town elections were, however, held, and the town company has practically lapsed. The first business done near the town was by a George Schultz and John Hooper, who, in 1869, sold groceries under a tree on the bank of the river. Shortly after, W. H. Tatham opened a store in the town proper, and, in default of a newspaper to advertise in, cried the merits of his wares through a tin horn. History does not state whether the effort was as successful as that of the "pied piper of Hamelin town. The town grew rapidly, and in a year had sixty-five buildings. Altoona was made a postoffice on April 11, 1870, and J. N. D. Brown appointed Postmaster.

He was succeeded by Freedman, Boyd, T. F. C. Dodd, Wm. McLaughlin, R. N. and M. E. Richardson, the latter of whom is still in office. The Altoona Union, the second paper published in the county, was started on March 30th, 1870, by Bowser & Brown. It was printed on new material purchased for it by the Altoona Town Company. Four weeks later, Bowser wearied of his work and delegated the entire business to Brown, who kept the berth until July 9th, of that year. The paper then passed into the hands of James A. Smith and his wife, Carrie A., who hoisted the Republican banner. Under this management the paper continued until December 5, 1872, when it chronicled the death of Horace Greeley and its own, appearing with inverted column rules. The schoolhouse built in 1872 is still used, and, having been built with a view to a rapid increase in the town has ample accommodations.

It is presided over by Misses Clara and Celia Kashner, who have about one hundred scholars distributed in two rooms. The cost of the building was $3,000.  Altoona has two churches, the Congregational, built in 1880, and the Methodist Episcopal, built in 1882. The latter is in charge of Rev. C. W. Swartz. Each has a membership of about thirty. The Union Sabbath school, supported by the two churches, has a large attendance. The Christian Church formerly conducted meetings at this point, but has removed to Five Mounds. Wm. Cowgill (now Altoona) Lodge No. 113, A. F. & A. M., was organized in October 17, 1872. A fire destroyed all records, jewels and paraphernalia in 1879, and the lodge has since been unable to replace them.

It has now a membership of twelve, and the following officers: T. F. C. Dodd, W. M.; George East, S. W.; W. B. Ladd, J. W.; J. Orr, secretary; C. Streets, Treasurer. Meetings are on Saturday before full moon. The Odd Fellows had a lodge at this place, until the loss of their hall in the fire of 1879, when they surrendered their charter. An attempt was recently been made to organize a lodge of Knights of Honor, but was not successful. The flouring mill on the Verdigris, now operated by Brown & Orr, was built in 1870-71, by Spencer Bros. Its has four run of buhr-stones, moved by a turbine water wheel. Its capacity is one hundred barrels of flour per day, of twenty-four hours.

The buildings and machinery are valued at $8,000. The steam saw-mill, located in the timber near the Verdigris, is a portable one, and has been in use near Altoona for twelve years. In 1880 it was purchased by Z. A. Benell, for $1,000, and completely refitted. It is now valued at $3,200. Power is furnished by an engine of twenty-five horse-power. The town now has a population of 300, and the following industries: general stores, 2; groceries, 3; drug stores, 1 ; hardware, 1; hotels, 2; doctors, 3; dentists, 2; wagon shops, 1; blacksmiths, 2. With the completion of the new railway, Altoona bids fair to become a live town of considerable size.

More History on Altoona.

(40 miles north of Coffeyville.)
Altoona takes pride in being one of the few towns of comparable population to have a weekly newspaper... the Altoona Tribune. It has gained local fame too through the fictitious characters, Mace Liverworst and Kate Bender, created by this paper's able editor, Austin Butcher.

Settled in 1866 by Thomas Geddes, Altoona was first called "Geddesburg" in tribute to its founder. In 1869 two brothers, John and Isaac Spencer, came here and built a saw mill which did a flourishing business. At the same time the Altoona Town Company was organized with Dr. T. F. C. Todd as president. The Spencer brothers and William Vernum gave the Town Company the present site and in 1870 named it "Altoona" in memory of the Spencer's first home, Altoona, Pa. At an attractive location for fishing and boating on the Verdigris River,

Altoona is centered in a rich agricultural region. The Neodesha Bank serves the farmers of the countryside who raise corn, wheat, oats and flax. Oil wells have been drilled in the vicinity too.

Altoona Kansas, 1912.

Altoona (formerly Geddesburg), one of the larger incorporated cities of Wilson county, is located on the Missouri Pacific R. R., and on the Verdigris river, 11 miles east of Fredonia, the county seat. It has two banks, a weekly newspaper, telegraph and express offices, and an international money order postoffice with three rural routes. The population in 1910 was 1,462. The town was founded in 1869 by a town company, of which Dr. T. F. C. Todd was president. No town elections were held until the town company ceased to do business. The first business enterprise was a grocery store opened in 1869 by George Shultz and John Hooper. The postoffice was established in April, 1870, and J. N. D. Brown appointed postmaster. The Altoona Union, tlie second paper published in the county, was founded in March, 1870, by
Bowser & Brown. A school house was built the next year at a cost of $3,000. A steam saw mill and a flour mill were set up in 1871 on the Verdigris.  The growth of Altoona dates from the entrance of the railroad in 1885-6. At that time it was a town of some 300 inhabitants, and a dozen business houses. The development of the oil and gas fields in the vicinity in the '90s added greatly to the importance of the city.

Wanamaker & Bishop Kansas.

Wanamaker Kansas 1912.

Wanamaker, a hamlet in Shawnee county is located 5 miles west of Topeka, the county seat, state capital and the postoffice from which it receives mail. The population in 1910 was 17.  Wanamaker was started in 1888.

Wanamaker Post Office.

Post Office open November 18, 1889 and ran to December 14, 1903.  The first appointed postmaster was Alexander McRoberts.

Shawnee County.
Mission Township Map, 1898.
Wanamaker can be found on the county map in Twonship 11-South and Range 15-East.  On the Township map Wanamaker is found in section 33.

Land Owners For Section 33., 1898.

Elizabeth Bright
Frank crdley
Ella Nelson
J. R. Nede---?
Kansas National Bank.
The Ex. Farm Co.

Land Owners For Section 33., 1913.

O. I. Walker
F. J. Sherman.
O. W. Blanchard.
M. J. Daily.
A. C. Blodgett.
Henry B. Hayden
A. M. Smith.
E. B. Nelson
S. L. Nelson.

Wanamaker School.

Wanamaker school is in section 32, it sat on the land own by A. C. Moore.

History of Bishop-Wanamaker Kansas

L. R Fridley, Station agent at Bishop station, must have thought the whole world was ending when a tornado blew through the place.  It indirectly led to the end of the town.  Bishop station was a railroad depot or simply a boxcar cleverly adapted to the purpose.  It was six miles west of Topeka on the Rock Island railroad.  Today, the site is about a mile west, due to expansion.  It was probably established as a convenience for the farmers of the vicinity who shipped hay, grain and Livestock.  During World War I., and did not outlast the war.
Wanamaker was the town where Bishop station was located.  This was its more popular name although it was changed to the name of Bishop in 1903.  Wanamaker existed before Bishop station.  The town had a post office in 1891, Alexander McRoberts serving as postmaster.  The post office changed names in 1903 to Bishop although Wanamaker is still used by area residents.  Wanamaker was also known to be a post office for three missions.
The population declined untill, in 1910, only seventeen people lived there.  When the tornado hit in 1917 the Fridley's were lucky.  Many homes there were destroyed beyond repair.  In the big wind a cow was seen sailing through the air for a distance of a mile, then deposited on the ground with no serious injuries.  Before the storm ended , nine people were killed and $500,000 of damage had accrued, over a path thirty miles long.  Bishop station was not rebuilt and the town of Bishop succumbed.


Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lemuel Nelson Sheldon.

Lemuel Nelson Sheldon, was born July 20, 1839, Brosvilled, Leeds, Canada, died July 26, 1931, at Topeka Kansas.  His Burial was at Rochester Cemetery, Topeka, Kansas.  His wife was Sarah Elizabeth ( Roof ) Sheldon. she was born August 8, 1839, at Southbend Indiana, they were married about 1870.  Their Children were; Lillia Dee Sheldon Newman 1865-1911, and James W. Sheldon 1875-1947.

Civil War Information

Lemuel Sheldon or Shelden.
Company G., roster.

On all records he is under the spelling of Shelden.
He was of the 15th., Indiana Infantry, Company G., was a Private, he was mustered in June 14, 1861, was a residence of Laporte Co., Indiana.  He was discharged in 1864.

State Records.

Lemuel Shelden, Age 20, Private, Co. G., 15th., Indiana Infantry, Enlisted June 14, 1861, at Lafayette, Indiana.  He was discharged at Indianapolis, Indiana, September 3, 1863, for disability; Also written as Sheldon.

There is some confusion on his discharge dates. On the company roster its 1864, in the State records its 1863, and in his obituary we find its 1861.  .

Lemuel Sheldon or Shelden.


Gun Shot in Right Knee, received $12, dollars per month.

Lemuel Sheldon or Shelden Obituary.
Topeka State Journal
Monday July 27, 1931, p.6.
Lemuel Sheldon, 92, Had Lived Near Half Century.
Lemuel Sheldon, 92, a Civil war veteran died at his home, 1200 North Topeka avenue, Sunday evening.  He had been a resident of Topeka for fifty years, having lived in North Topeka most of that time.  He was born July 20, 1839, in Montreal Canada, and enlisted as a private in Company G.,of the 15th., regiment of the Indiana infantry.  He was dischargeed in 1861, because of wounds he received in the battle of Stone River.  He is survied by one son, James Sheldon, and one daughter, Mrs. Ella Shaffer, both of Topeka.  Funeral services will be at Peebler's funeral home Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock.  Burial will be in Rochester cemetery.

Ridgeway Kansas

A little History on Ridgeway as given in 1878.

Ridgeway and vicinity was settled by a first rate class of farmers, a town was laid off and a post office was established and named Georgetown, it was two miles Southeast of Ridgeway.  A store was open at Ridgeway by Brchson & Stone, two noted showmen, and the Post Office was subsequently removed to Ridgeway, where it has remained ever since.

Osage County.
Ridgeway Township map, 1878.
On the county map Ridgeway can be found in Township 14-South-Range 16-East.
On the Township map Ridgeway can be found in section 14.
Business men who used Ridgeway as their  P. O., address as of 1878.

C. G. Fox, Farmer and Teacher, from Monroe County, New York, came to county 1859.

J. M. Fox, Farmer and Minister, from Chenoga County, New York, came to county 1860.

N. Osborn, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Hendricks County, Indiana, came to county 1868.

E. Bissell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Windham County, Vermont, came to county 1870.

L E. Bissell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Windham, Vermont, came to county 1870.

C. H. Easton, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Yates County New York, came to county  1868.

Robert Clark, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Fifeshire Scotland, came to county 1857.

John Aitchison, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Roxbergshire Scotland, came to county 1857.

Joseph Law, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Chester County Pennsylvania, came to county 1857.

C. L. Ruediger, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Germany, came to county 1868.

George C. Bryant, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Jefferson County, Wisconsin, came to county 1874.

Thomas Etherington, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Durham County England, came to county 1857.

Business men of 1899.
 H. C. Kirkham, Retired farmer.
Isaac B. Masters, Retired farmer.

Note.  By 1918, Ridgeway was no longer being shown on any Osage County or Townships maps.

History of Ridgeway as given in 1912.

Ridgeway, a discontinued postofifice in the northern part of Osage county, receives its mail from Carbondale. It is one of the historic early day towns, but upon being missed by the railroads has dwindled to a mere hamlet.

Ridgeway Post Office.

Open May 10, 1858 and ran to November 20, 1900.  Moved from Elk Creek, established in Shawnee County.

Ridgeway Cemetery.
Osage County, Kansas.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

West Creek Kansas.

West Creek is other of those drop off post office that you would find through out Kansas.  As far as I can tell there were no other buildings at West Creek just the Post Office ( House? ), the post office was on the land owned by William Joslyn.  I found West Creek a interesting place but was unable to find little on it.  I will list the information I have found so far.

Republic County.
Lincoln Township Map, 1884.
West Creek can be found on the county map at Township 4-South and Range 3-West.  On the Township map West Creek is found on section 16.
West Creek Post Office History.
West Creek Post Office opened June 15 or 26, 1871 and ran to April 17, 1872, closed then reopened May 20, 1872 and ran to February 18, 1886.  Joseph A. Deweese was appointed first postmaster. 
Biographical Sketches of men who used West Creek, as their P. O. Address, 1883.
G. B. BASSETT, farmer, P. O. West Creek, was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1844. In 1852 his parents settled in Mercer County, remaining there until 1873; then emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County. Landing there in February, he took a homestead on Section 21, southwest quarter, Township 4, Range 3; is well situated for stock-raising. He has about fifty acres under the plow, has a good orchard of 125 peach and forty-five apple trees, and one-fourth acre of raspberries and other small fruits; he has three and one-half acres of forest trees and one-half mile of hedge on the place. He is extensively engaged in raising hogs and turns off from seventy-five to one hundred head each year; also raises some cattle, but makes a specialty of hogs and corn. He has done well since he came to this State. He has held the office of Township Clerk for five terms, besides other offices, part of the time he has been here. He was married January 2, 1870, to Miss Harriet Clark, of Mercer County, Ohio; they have four children living--Minnie, Permelia, Mary E. and George. Mr. and Mrs. Bassett are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

H. C. MILLER, farmer, P. O. West Creek, was born in Putnam County, Ohio, in 1839. In 1854 he emigrated to Iowa, locating in Fayette County and remaining there until 1855, went to Missouri, locating in Daviess County and remained there until 1859, then went to Kansas, locating in Atchison and remained there until 1861, and from there settled in Jefferson County on the Delaware Reservation, remained there two years and then located at Clay Centre, Clay County and remained there until 1868, and thence to Woodson County and was there about two years, coming from there to Republic County and bought 160 acres on Section 16, paying $3.50 per acre. The farm is well watered by a branch of West Creek and a fine spring. There is about twenty-five acres of timber along the creek. He also has a good stone quarry of magnesia lime stone covering about four acres and has eighty acres under the plow, twenty-five acres fenced for pasture, good orchard, although small, good stone house 16x20 feet built of stone taken from his quarry. He has a small grove of forest trees and one of the best stock farms in the town and is fast commencing to raise stock. He has twelve head of cattle, eight head of horses and twenty-five head of hogs. This he will increase to enable him to feed all the grain he raises. He was married in 1862 to Miss Mary Khunley of Clay County, and they have five children--Fred, Harvey, Mattie, Sarah and Mabel.

J. P. NUTTER, farmer, P. O. West Creek, was born in Alton, Illinois, in 1842. He learned the engineering trade and worked at this business until 1851 when he enlisted in the Fifty-fourth Illinois Infantry, serving three years and four months in Company K., was captured in Arkansas in 1864 but was paroled at the end of seventeen days and was mustered out at Hickory Station, Arkansas, and discharged at Springfield, Illinois, in 1865. After coming out of the army he engaged in farming and in 1872 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County and in March took a homestead on Section 21, Township 4, Range 3. He secured a good homestead and has sixty-five acres under the plow, eighty acres fenced for pasture and about twenty acres of hay land. He has a fine grove of about three acres of forest trees, forty apple trees, a number of peach trees and small fruits of all kinds. He has built a good stone house 17x27 feet, two stories high and has a stone quarry and a fine spring in his pasture and also a large well with wind mill. He keeps a large number of cows and does quite a business in dairying and butter making. He was married in 1867 at Decatur, Illinois, to Miss Caroline Crow and they have five children--John, Charles, George, Maud and Claude.

Lincoln Township Farmers Who Used West Creek, As Their P. O. Address, 1884.
E. M. Beckley, Farmer.
G. B. Bassett, Farmer.
S. C. Baker, Farmer.
B. Campbell, Farmer.
Thos. Creighton, Farmer.
Robert N. Carbutt, Farmer.
Cyrus Carbutt, Farmer.
Robert Douglas, Farmer.
George Douglas, Farmer and Blacksmith.
 M. J. Douglas, Farmer.
W. S. Davis, Farmer.
William Joslyn, Farmer.
John Krigline, Farmer and Carpenter.
G. W. Lash, Farmer.
W. T. Lash, Farmer.
S. R. Miller, Farmer.
J. P. McFarland, Farmer.
A. P. Nutter, Farmer.
J. A. Nutter, Farmer.
Robert G. Nall, Farmer.
H. Pettiger, Farmer.
A. E. Shpard, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
A. Skeels, Farmer.
Henry Sandells, Farmer.