Saturday, October 27, 2012

Hesper Kansas.

Douglas County.
Eudora Township Map, 1873.
On the county map Hesper can be found in Township-14 and Range-18.  On the township map Hesper can be found in section 28.
Hesper Kansas, 1883.
Lapeer is situated in the southwest part of the county, near the headwaters of Rock Creek, on gently undulating prairie. The first settlements were made in the vicinity of 1855, by George Shobert, Peter Dodder, James Baker and Samuel Hays. The town was so named after a town of the same name in Michigan. The first child born here was Eli Baker, November 2, 1856; the first marriage was that of B. L. Oldham, to Miss Elvira Baker, in the year 1857, and the first death that of an unknown many in 1859. The first school was taught in 1862, in a log cabin by Miss Anna Harber. The first schoolhouse was built in 1864, and located on Section 29, Township 14, Range 18. In August, 1864, Rev. A. C. Still preached the first sermon in this schoolhouse. The post office was established in 1856, and named Marion, S. Briniman being appointed first Postmaster. A store was opened in 1856, by Henry Briniman, by the side of the old Santa Fe road in the town of Marion. A grist mill was built in the winter of 1862-63, by Henry Hyatt.

Biugraphical Sketches, 1883.
J. H. BACHELOR, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Lapeer, was born in Tennessee September 27, 1833; moved, when a child, to Shelby County Ill., and from there to Franklin County, Mo.; came to Kansas in 1855, settled in Leavenworth County, and three years later, came to Marion Township and purchased a farm of 190 acres, which he has improved, erecting a substantial stone residence in 1873, at a cost of $1,500. During all the border troubles, Mr. Bachelor was never disturbed by either side, which he attributes to the fact of his keeping a close mouth, although loyal and true, believing in the right and justice of freedom. He was married in Leavenworth County, December 25, 1855, to Miss Margaret Plummer, by whom he has had eleven children - John F., Emma, Flora, Benjamin, William H., Mattie M. R., Maggie I. M., Charles, Grace M., Eva and Elizabeth - the two last named are dead. Mr. Bachelor was called into service during the Price raid, and participated in the battle of the Blue.
ROBERT S. DODDER, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Lapeer, was born in Oakland County, Mich., August 14, 1851; came with his father to Kansas in 1859, and located in Marion Township; owns 160 acres, besides working his mother's farm; married in Genesee County, Mich., June 28, 1879, Miss Sarah E., daughter of John Reed. They have three children - Edward W., Charles O. and Flora B. Mr. Dodder is a member of the Acacia Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M., of Lawrence. His father pre-empted the land on which he now resides. His father died February 7, 1875.

SILAS DODDER, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Lapeer, was born in Addison, Oakland Co., Mich., May 1, 1845; came to the State with his father in 1861; settled in Marion Township. Mr. Dodder owns 225 acres, all fenced, and about sixty acres under the plow, the balance in grass and pasture. During the Price raid, Mr. Dodder was called out in the State militia, and participated in the battle of the Blue. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Bailey, October 9, 1869. They have six children, viz., Hattie A., Homer R., Vera B,, Mary E., Pearl and Silas C. Mrs. Dodder is a member of the Methodist Church.

JOHN KELLEY, Jr., farmer, Section 31, P. O. Lapeer, born in Clark County, Ind., July 20, 1841, where he lived until 1858, when he came to Kansas and settled in Marion Township. He owns a farm of 138 acres, all improved. He enlisted August 20, 1862, in Company E, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry, served faithfully until the close of the war, and was discharged July 20, 1865, having been in the battle of Jenkins Ferry, and numerous skirmishes. He was married, in Marion Township, February 7, 1872, to Miss Marion M. Worthy. They have one child - Morris.

Hesper Post Office.
Hesper post office open September 23, 1868 and ran to July 20, 1900.
Hesper Kansas, 1912.
Hesper, a hamlet of Douglas county, is located in the eastern portion, 5 miles southeast of Eudora, from which it has rural free delivery. In 1910 it had a population of 36. The Friends have an academv at this place.

No comments: