J. S. BAUGHMAN, physician, of the firm of Baughman & Gates, druggists, was born in Ohio in 1847. At the age of twenty he engaged in the dry goods and grocery business, which he carried on some three years, and in the meantime studied medicine under Dr. J. F. Kennedy, of Ohio. He attended clinics at the Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated from the same in the class of 1872. On receiving his degree he practiced his profession two years in Gaysport, Ohio; he then settled at his old home, where he practiced five years, when he returned to Gaysport and continued in the practice of his profession for two years more. In 1880 he emigrated to Kansas, stopping in Wichita. Here he opened a drug store, which he sold out after running it two years, and moved to Argonia, Sumner county, 1882. On his arrival the town had but seven buildings all told. Here he established his present business in connection with his profession. Both branches of his business are good, being in a growing, prosperous condition. He owns business and residence property. He was Town Clerk when in Ohio, and is now president of the Argonia Joint Stock Company, in proprietors of the town site. In January, 1881, the company was formed, the first papers being drawn up by Joseph Arnold. On the 3d of March, 1881, the first election of officers was held. The third election was held the first Saturday in January, 1883, it being the beginning of the fiscal year, when Dr. J. S. Baughman was elected president, E. M. Sumpter, vice-president, holding over Ezra Spencer secretary second term, and M. L. Marsh, treasurer. The company are offering lots to parties that will expend $100, either for business or residence houses. The town is situated in the valley of the Chikaskia, and surrounded with a splendid farming country. Dr. Baughman was married to Miss Frank Bozman, of Ohio, in 1874, and has two children - Berenice and Eva. Both are members of the Lutheran Church.
D. H. BRYANT, of the firm of Bryant & Anderson, dealers in general merchandise, was born in Illinois in 1836. His educational advantages were limited to the common schools, and his occupation , working on the farm. After having been engaged in the mercantile business for eighteen years, in 1879 he immigrated to Kansas, where he tarried for a time in Winfield, and then stopped in Wellington some three years, when he went to Argonia, July 5, 1882, unloading his goods in the street, and established his present business, and built the first business hours. In his former home in Indiana, Mr. Bryant filled the responsible office of Justice of the Peace four years, discharging its duties with credit to himself and eminent satisfaction to his constituents. In 1849 he was married to Miss W. M. Nichols, of Indiana, and has two children living - Alabama and Corwin. Besides his business property he owns several town lots.
A. CEASE, hotel proprietor and farmer, was born in Pennsylvania in 1824, where he was reared in the lumber business, and received a common school education. In 1849 he removed to Illinois, where he carried on farming operations till 1882, at which time he emigrated to Sumner County, Kansas, locating in Argonia, where he bought the hotel property, also a farm near town. Since buying the hotel he has made additions and improvements, with the view of affording accommodations to all who may favor him with a call. He was married to Miss Ellen Wendell of Pennsylvania, in 1845, and has nine children - Alvina, Siva, Emma J., Benjamin, Charles W., George Albert, Mary Jane, Frances, and Oscar J., all of whom are living but Benjamin. Mrs. Cease was a member of the Ladies' Aid Society of the Baptist Church.
J. E. HICKOCK, of the firm of J. E. Hickock & Sons, general merchants, was born in Troy, Bradford Co., Pa., in 1833. His educational advantages were fair. He was reared in the mercantile business. At one time in his life, 1856 to 1859, he farmed summers and taught school winters for three years in Illinois. In 1859, moved to Nodaway County, Mo.; made a farm; in 1869 improved another in Andrew County, Mo., fruit and grain. In 1877 he moved to Peabody, Kas. (sic), where he farmed for about two and a half years; prospecting also for a location and settled for a time in Anderson county, and improved a grain and stock farm, keeping about 150 head of stock. In April, 1883, he located in Argonia and bought a store 38x46, to which he has since made additions. He owns several town lots and a large farm in Allen County. He also owns a block in Colony, Anderson County, and while living there was a school officer. In 1858 he was married to Miss olive L. Bowen, of Erie County, N. Y., by whom he has eight children - James Elisha, William P., and Ella Blanch, twins; Charles D., Esther C., Mary A., Richard G. and Adelia A., all of whom are living except James Elisha and Adeila A. (sic). James Elisha was a young man of extraordinary talents and capabilities. He was a school teacher and student, and was fitting himself to enter the State University of Kansas at Lawrence; but the discharge of his duties as a teacher, and the close, unremitting application to his studies, undermined his health, and he had to succumb to the great inevitable. Mr. and Mrs. H. are both members of the Baptist Church.
C. H. HADLER, saddle and harness maker, was born in Prussia in 1848. When he was but two years of age his father died, and when eleven years old his mother immigrated to America, landing in New York, November 7, 1859, proceeding directly to Milwaukee via Chicago, and lived with a son (a farmer) who had preceded her. Young Hadler remained on the farm till seventeen years of age, when he went to Milwaukee to learn his trade. Having learned his trade he worked as a journeyman for seven years, when he immigrated to Kansas, and engaged in farming till 1882. In February, 1883, he located in Argonia, Sumner Co., Kan., and established his present business. He owns business property and improvements on school lands. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity. In 1873 he was married to Miss Dora Nichols, of Champaign, and has five children - Ida, Eddie, Flora, Lizzie and Johnny.
L. A. SALTER, of Corson, Baldwin & Salter, general hardware and agricultural implements, was born in Michigan, in 1858. He was reared as a farmer, obtaining what learning he could at the common schools. In 1871, his parents emigrated to Kansas. In the spring of 1879, he graduated from the Kansas Agricultural College, when he returned to his father's folks and made that his home until 1881. Early in 1882, he engaged with Corson & Baldwin, of Cherryvale, in the hardware store and tinshop, and in the following September he went to Argonia, where he established his present business. He owns business and residence property, and is a Notary Public. He is a member of the Order of Knights of Honor. He was married to Miss Susanna M. Kinsey, of Silver Lake, Kansas, in 1880, and has two children - Clarence E. and Francis Argonia. Francis Argonia was the first child born in the town, and from this circumstance his parents decided to give him that name. Mr. Salter is a young man possessed of the qualities of success, as is evidenced by his present position in the mercantile world.