Monday, April 29, 2013

Charles T. Callender.

Publ. Date 1902.
Age 70.
Charles T. Callender.

Birth: 1832, Pennsylvania.
Death: 1913.

Wife; Martha E. Callender, 1844-1890, born Indiana.

Father born: Pennsylvania
Mother born: New Jersey.

Children; Daughter Emma E., Daughter Alphertta, Daughter Harriett, Son Walter C., Son Charles C., Unknow Elizabeth Callender.

Buiral; Hanover Cemetery, Washington County, Kansas.

Mr. Callender came to Kansas in 1860 and settled in section 31 of Independence township of Washington county.  He was a farmer, he got his supplies from Hanover Kansas, the farm was about 5 miles North-West of Hanover.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Thomas Oliver.

Push to enlarge pictures.

Was born in Denholm, Roxburgshire, Scotland, April 28, 1859. Came from Edinburg to Old Maple Hill, October, 1884. When the new town was laid out in 1887, Mr. Oliver, who already lived on the new site, moved his wagon shop into the new town and assisted in erecting the first building, Mr. J. N. Dolley's general store, and built the first dwelling house รข€” a five room, two story structure. He still operates the only wagon shop and has erected a majority of the buildings in what is one of the neatest towns in the county, of which Mr. Oliver is an esteemed citizen. Isabella Maple Hill Oliver was born September 19, 1887

Isabella Oliver
the first child born in the new town and the first child baptized in the new M. E. church.

Mr. Oliver wife was Janet M. Oliver,  to learn more about the her and the family history take this link.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Colonel Andy J. James.

Push to enlarge.
Col. Andy James, owner and proprietor of the "Meadow Brook Stock Farm, is perhaps one of the most widely known men of Johnson county. Colonel James is a native of Illinois, born in Hancock county, and came to Kansas in 1864 with his parents, John P. and Hettie (Nichols) James, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Pennsylvania. They were the parents of two children : Col. Andy James, whose name introduces this sketch, and Willard James, who married Ida Staver, of Johnson county, and resides on the home farm. After coming to Kansas, Andy James attended the public schools in Lawrence and Baker University. He began life as a farmer and later engaged in the mercantile business at Kansas City, Mo., and Dallas, Mo. About fifteen years ago he purchased 240 acres of land in Mission township to which he has since added the old Phillips homestead of 160 acres.

These two farms comprise what is known as the "Meadow Brook Farm." He makes a specialty of Short Horn cattle, Poland China hogs and mules. While Colonel James is well known as a farmer and stockman, he is still better known as a high class auctioneer. He began conducting auction sales several years ago and for the past fifteen years has conducted real estate and stock sales of importance over several states. He has been employed by the United States Government and various railroad and construction companies as an auctioneer, in addition to numerous thoroughbred and stock sales of the leading breeders throughout the country. Mr. James was married in 1891 to Miss Minnie Riley, of Johnson county, and to this union three children have been born, John R., now a student in Baker University ; Elizabeth N., a student in the Manhattan Agricultural College and known as one of Johnson county's leading teachers, and Ralph H. graduated from the Olathe High School in 1915.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Perry Bates, ( Colored )

Perry Bates

Birth: Unknown.
Death: Unknown.
Burial: Mount Olive Cemetery, Bogue, Graham County, Kansas.

Perry Bates came to Graham county in 1888, and settled in section 36, of Graham township of Graham county.  He was a Farmer and Stock Raiser.  He got his supplies from Hill City, which was about 3 miles south of the farm.

Civil War Service.
68th., United States Colored Infantry.
Organized March 11, 1864, from 4th. Missouri Colored Infantry.
Perry Bates, Enlisted in Co. B., 68TH., U. S. Colored infantry, as a Private February 15, 1864, Age 26, Mustered in March 8, 1864.  Mustered out February 5, 1866, as Sergeant.
Authors note.  As you can see by his mustered date he started out in the Missouri 4th., Colored Infantry.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Daniel Weyrich Jr.

Pulb. Date 1906.
Push to enlarge.
Daniel Weyrich Jr.

Birth: Feb. 10, 1869.
Death: Feb. 25, 1954.

Burial: Hillside Cemetery, Kinsley, Edwards County, Kansas.

Mr. Weyrich came to Edwards County in 1878, and settled in section 3, of Jackson township.  He was a Farmer and Stock Raiser.  He lived about a 11miles North-West of Kinsley from wich he got his supplies. 

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Captain William Mitchell

Push to enlarge
William Mitchell.

Birth: 1825, Scotland.
Death: 1903, Wabaunsee, Wabaunsee County, Kansas.

Date 1901.
Born in Kilmaynock,Scotland, came to America with family as a child and settled in Ohio. When he was 24 he sailed around Cape Horn to join the Calif. Gold Rush. In 1852 he sailed to Australia for three years worked in the gold fields., then went around the world, visiting his Scotland birthplace before he came home. He returned to Connecticut, just in time to join the Beacher Bible and Rifle Colony, that settled in Wabaunsee Co,KS in 1856. Often called a "natural leader of men" he played an important part in Wabaunsee life. He was active in the underground rail road, the left of his land 3 miles east of Wabaunsee. In 1868 he married Mary Chamberlin. They lived on a 320 acre farm. He also served as agent for the M.A.B. RR until 1895 when he moved back to the farm. In Wabaunsee he also operated an elevator and store. When the Prairie Gaurds Millitants Co was organized, he led his men to defence of Lawrence,KS. In 1868 he was elected to the State Legislature.

Wife: Mary A. Chamberlain Mitchell (1836 - 1915)

James E. Mitchell (1829 - 1910).
H. Raymond Mitchell (1872 - 1961).
William Izott Mitchell (1873 - 1953).
Maude Josephine Mitchell (1875 - 1957)

Burial: Wabaunsee Cemetery, Wabaunsee, Wabaunsee County, Kansas.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Benjamin W.Sitter.

Push to enlarge

Benjamin W.Sitter.

Birth:Dec. 3, 1833.
Death: Jan. 28, 1916.

Wife:Emily J. Sitter (____ - 1890)

Children: Marian F. Sitter (____ - 1878)

Burial:South Bend Cemetery,Cowley County, Kansas.

Mr.Sitter came to the county in 1871, and lived in section 30 of Pleasant Valley township of Cowley county.  It's recorded that he was a Farmer and Breeded of Horses and Mules.  He got his supplies from Winfield, Kansas which is 10 miles north of the farm. Winfield is in Walnut Township of Cowley county.

Benjamin C. Gamble.

push to enlarge.

Benjamin C. Gamble.

Birth: 1843.
Death: 1916.

Wife: Susan J. Harshman Gamble (1850 - 1933)

Children: Charles H. Gamble (1882 - 1968)

Burial: Sunset Lawns Cemetery, El Dorado, Butler County, Kansas.

Benjamin C. Gambel came to the county in 1880, lived in section 34, of El Dorado township of Butler county.  He was recored as being a Farmer and Stock Rasier, he lived about a mile nort of El dorado Kansas from which he got his supplies.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Michael Ward.

Date 1903.
Push to enlarge.
Michael Ward.

Birth: Aug. 15, 1833, Dublin, County, Dublin, Ireland.
Death: Dec. 26, 1918, Larkinburg, Atchison County, Kansas.

Wife: Bridget Ward (1838 - 1911)
Children: Mary Ward Blackburn (1871 - 1899)

Burial: Saint Anns Catholic Cemetery, Effingham, Atchison County, Kansas.

In 1903 Mr. Ward was recorded as being a Farmer and Stock Rasier and Plasterer, he came to the county in 1861, lived in section 18, of Kapioma township, he got his supplies from Larkin, Kansas.  Larkin is about one mile west of his farm, Larkin is now called Larkinburg.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

William Augustus Essick.

William Augustus Essick.

Birth: Dec. 5, 1850.
Death: Oct. 26, 1925.

Wife: Theo H. Wyman Essick (1855 - 1940)

Children: Inez LouiseWyman Essick (1889 - 1964)

Burial: Ellsworth Cemetery (Old), Ellsworth, Ellsworth County, Kansas.

Mr. Essick was born near Chambersburg Pennsylvania, December 5, 1850.  His parents moved to the state of Ohio when he was a few months old.  He left Ohio to go to Kansas on February 26, 1874.  The following year he homesteaded in Ellsworth County Kansas.  He still resides on the original homestead.  In 1881, he was united in marriage to Miss Tho A. Wyman, formerly of Kalamazoo, Michigan, to whom a daughter was born, Inez L.W. Essick.  In 1889, William A. Essick deeded the homestead to his wife, Theo A. Essick.

1918, Mrs Essick had the farm which was called Hill-Drop, which is in Ash Creek, township in Ellsworth County.  The 160 acres, farm was for farming and stockraising, she got her supplies from Kanopolis which was about 4 and a half miles north of the farm, she came to the county in 1879.

Friday, April 19, 2013

james Monroe Crapson.

Date 1908.

Mr. Crapson owned a business in Erie Kan.
Called Crapson & Brothers, they were Blacksmiths.
James Monroe Crapson

Birth: Dec. 28, 1865, Schuyler County, Missouri.
Death: Jan. 24, 1962, Erie, Neosho County, Kansas.

Parents: Lorenzo Dow Crapson (1833 - 1908)
Martha Elizabeth Minton Crapson (1837 - 1924)

Wife; Julia Frances Dehart Crapson (1874 - 1969)

Frederick Ralph Crapson (1896 - 1978)
Bessie Viola Ruth Crapson Irwin (1899 - 1982)

Burial: East Hill Cemetery, Erie, Neosho County, Kansas.

Paul Kern

Push to enlarge.
Paul Kern.

Birth: 1839.
Death: 1916.

Wife: Mary Anna Kern.
Birth 1859.
Death: 1946.

Burials: Sacred Heart Cemetery, Sumner County, Kansas.

Mr. Kern came to Sumner county in 1871, and settled on section 19 & 20 in Downs township of Sumner county.  He farmed 160 acres and lived about 4 miles south of Corbin which was his post office address.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Clinton O. Kinne

Date 1902.
Clinton O. Kinne.

birth: 1849.
Death; 1925.
Burial; Alma Cemetery, Alma, Wabaunsee County, Kansas.

Clinton O. Kinne was County Clerk.

November 5, 1889.
November 11, 1891.

Clinton O. Kinne was Post Master of Alma, 1901 & 1902.

In April, 1872, while C. O. Kinne was with his father in the timber on Mulberry creek a black bear rose on his haunches and after a few growls ambled across the prairie in a northwest direction. Mr. Kinne says he wasn't hunting for bear that day. Hadn't even a pocket knife and wasn't hungry for  bear, anyway.

The home of Clinton O. Kinne.
Date 1901.
Push to enlaarge.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Oliver P. Augustine.

Push to enlarge.

Oliver P. Augustine.

Birth; October 1, 1824, Ohio.
Death; November 18, 1907, Liberty, Woodson County, Kansas.
Wife; Ann Agnes Augustine
Birth; January 23, 1823, Pennsylvania.
Death; June 28, 1912.


Elizabeth J.Augustine Birth; august 14, 1850 Death October 13, 1928. 
Oliver William Augustine Birth; july 30, 1853 Death; November 8, 1924..
Burials: Liberty, Dutro Cemetery, Woodson County, Kansas.

Mr. Augustine lived in Liberty township section 14, was a farmer of 80 acres.  He got his supplies from Yates Center.

Benjamin H. Alberston.

Benjamin H. Alberston.

Brith: 1846.
Death: 1924.
Wife: Anna N. Albertson, May 20, 1847-February 6, 1930.
Burial: Haviland Cemetery, Haviland, Kowa County, Kansas.

Benjamin H. Albertson, farmed 260 acres in Wellsford township, in section 8.  He lived about a half mile east of Haviland.

Haviland, an incorporated town of Kiowa county, is situated in Wellsford township on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R. 10 miles east of Greensburg, the county seat. It has a bank, an international money order postoffice with five rural routes, telegraph and express offices, a weekly newspaper (the Onlooker), a feed mill, hotels, good mercantile houses, etc. Haviland was incorporated in 1906 and in 1910 reported a population of 568.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Blooming Grove Now Trading Post, Kansas.

Blooming Grove, Kansas.
Linn County.
Potosi Township map, 1906.
On the county map you can find Blooming Grove in township 21-south and range 21-east.  On the township map you can find Blooming Grove in section 5.
Blooming Grove & Trading Post, Post Office History.
Blooming Grove post office open September 2, 1857 and ran to June 22, 1880, first postmaster was Samuel Nickel, name changed to Trading Post.  Trading Post post office open June 22, 1880 and ran to August 30, 1902, first postmaster was Austin W. Hail.
Burinessman of Blooming Grove, 1867.
Adkins C. S., Groceries.
Allen & Rollins, Saddler.
Caughman George, Shoemaker.
Doud A. C., General Store.
Early & Bergen, Physician.
Eomunston A., Hotrl.
Ellis & Brothers, General Store.
Graner & Pickren, Saw Mill.
Howard & Livitz, Brickyard.
Hongerford & Mc Dowell, Blacksmith.
Kelso R. S., Physician.
Lane & Pennoe, General STORE.
Record J. B., Groceries.
Rhodes & Whitman, Cabinet Makers.
Seigler F. B., Pottery.
Spane George, Carpenter.
Trading Post, Kansas, 1883.
This town is located on the banks of the Marais des Cygnes, about four miles from the State line, and is one of the oldest settlements in the State. The land where it stands was purchased at an early day of a Frenchman named Jarien, by another Frenchman named Chouteau, the latter carrying on a heavy trade with the Indians; hence this post was called the Chouteau Trading Post. There was no town laid out here until 1865, when the Montgomery Town Company was organized, and the town of Montgomery laid out and platted October 17, that year, just east of the present town site of the trading post; but the town not being a success was finally abandoned. Trading Post is located on Section 5, Township 21, Range 25, and was laid out and platted in March, 1866, by Dr. Massey and George A. Crawford. But everything in this town dates from the Marais des Cygnes massacre. Previously to this time, John F. Campbell was keeping store here. Soon after it, Dr. Massey & White opened a store in a log house near the bridge. A grist-mill was erected in 1857. It has been purchased and much improved by J. & A. Brockett, and is now one of the finest mills in the State. It is two and a half stories high, and has two run of buhrs. There is a saw-mill attached. During most of the year, it is run by water, but during the dry season, in August and September, the motive power is steam. It is not ascertainable who preached the first sermon at the Post, but John R. Williams, a Baptist minister, preached to an outdoor congregation, in August, 1856. There are two church organizations in this vicinity, one Baptist, the other Southern Methodist, both of which use the "Swayback" church, situated three miles north and one mile east of the Trading Post as a house of worship. There is also a United Presbyterian organization, four miles east, known as the State Line Church. The present schoolhouse, a two-story frame, was built by the Masons in 1865, and the lower half sold by them to the district.
The first birth in the vicinity was that of Jasper and Newton Nichols, twins, in 1855; the first marriage that of Samuel Brown to Miss Hobbs, in 1856; and the first death that of Mrs. Bartemas, in 1856.

Blooming Grove Lodge, No. 41, A., F. & A. M. , was organized in 1862, with twelve members. Its charter officers were: A. C. Doud, W. M.; William Goss, S. W.; W. W. Silsby, J. W.; Samuel Brown, Secretary; Jackson Lane, Treasurer. The present membership is fourteen.

Trading Post contains at present three general stores, one drug store, two blacksmith shops, one agricultural implement dealer, and about 100 inhabitants.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Hasten Love.

 Hasten Love.

Birth; December 15, 1822.
Death; March 23, 1915.
Burial; Balch Cemetery, Formoso, Jewell County, Kansas.
Wife; Esther Love, 1825-1902.
Children ; Willis W.Love, 1860-1930, John C. Love 1863-1939.

Mr. Love, farmed 80 acres in Grant Township Section 16, got his supplies from Formoso.  Mr. Love came to Jewell County in 1871.

Picture Date 1908.
Push to enlarge.

Arthur Eugene Bates

Date 1916.
Push to enlarge.

Arthur Eugene Bates

Birth: Aug. 12, 1856
Death: Sep. 10, 1932

h/Malinda F. GREEN

The Meriden Message Jefferson County Friday September 23, 1932

A.E. Bates, Pioneer Of Jefferson County, Dies.

A.E. BATES, 76, pioneer resident of Jefferson county, died at his home, in Perry, Sept. 10, and funeral services were held at the Perry Methodist church Sept. 12. Burial was in Underwood cemetery. Mr. Bates came to Kansas as an infant of six months in 1857, his parents settling in the Kaw Valley. He lived the greater part of hi slife on the Bates farm near Williamstown, but in 1927 moved with his family to Perry. Surviving him are his wife, Malinda Green Bates, a son, Elmer Bates, both of the home; a daughter, Miss Jessie Bates, of Lawrence; a brother, W.W. Bates, Omaha, Neb. His three-quarters of a centery of living in Jefferson county made A. E. Bates one of the most well-know prominent farmers of the Kaw Valley. Extracted by James Laird

Burial: Underwood Cemetery Williamstown Jefferson County Kansas,

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Bluff City, Kansas.

Bluff City, Kansas

Harper County.
Stohrville Township map, 1902.
Bluff City Post Office History.
Bluff Creek post office open July 24, 1878 and ran to February 1, 1887, moved to Bluff.  Bluff post office open February 1, 1887 and ran to January 28, 1890, name changed to Bluff City.  Bluff City post office open January 28, 1890 and was still open in 1961.  First postmaster was Samuel E. Reid ( 1878-1887 ), James Glover was postmaster in 1902.
James Glover.
Mayor & Postmaster of Bluff City.
Push to enlarge.
Patrons of Harper County who used Bluff City as their P. O. address as of 1902.
Dr. J. A. Bowles, Physician and Surgeon, came to county 1897.
James Brooks, Farmer, came to couunty 1887.
James Bruy, Farmer, came to county 1879.
M. Chlupek, Farmer, came to county 1882.
C. A. Clift, Real Estate and Prop. Livery, came to county 1884.
W. H. Cook, Farmer and Stockman, came to county 1892.
David Henline, Farmer, came to county 1880.
A. L. Hybsha, Farmer and Stockman, came to county 1891.
Adelph Jelinek, Farmer, came to county 1885.
Joseph Jelinek, Farmer, came to county 1886.
G. S. Killgore, Feed, Coal and Grain Dealer, came to county 1879.
William M. Lewis, General Merchandise, came to county 1877.
George Miller, Farmer and Stockman, came to county 1886.
N. A. Moore, Agent Longbell Lumber Co., came to county ---
H. A. Probat, Grain and Coal Dearler and Stockshipper, came to county 1879.
Vencil Vrana, Farmer and Stockman, came to county 1882.
Josef Walts, Farmer and Stockman, came to county 1890.
Jos. Jr. Walton, Farmer and Stockman, came to county 1880
J. E. Grove, Publisher, came to county 1898. 
Bluff City Kansas, 1912.
Bluff City, an incorporated city of the third class in Harper county, is located on Bluff creek and is a station on the Kansas Southwestern R. R. 14 miles southeast of Anthony, the county seat. Bluff City has a bank, a weekly newspaper (the News), a money order postoffice with one rural route, express and telegraph offices, a telephone exchange, good public schools, churches of some of the principal denominations, some well stocked general stores, and is the principal shipping point between Anthony and Caldwell. The population was 307 in 1910.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Isaac Newton Goodvin.

Isaac Newton Goodvin.

Born: September 2, 1843.
died; November 30, 1920.

I. N. Goodvin lived in Willcox township of Trego County.  He came to the county in 1902, the township map of 1906 shows him living in township 15-south and range 23-west.  He lived in section 36, which is on the county line.  Mr. Goodvin made his living as a Stock Raiser and was also the Proprietor of the Spring Creek Stock Farm.  When Mr. Goodvin and his wife Nancy Ann Cline Goodvin needed supplies or mail they would drive five miles south to the town of Ransom which was in Ness county.

If you would like to know more about the family and see more pictures take this liink.
The home of Mr and Mrs. I. N. Goodvin.
Trego County, 1906.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Jonathan Millikan.

Push to enlarge.
Jonathan Millikan, Olathe, Kan. A work of this character, devoted to the lives and deeds of those who led the vanguard of civilization and paved the way for the subsequent developments, not only of Johnson county but of the great West, can find no more fitting subject within the borders of Johnson county than Jonathan Millikan. He is the dean of the community, the grand old man of Johnson county, and his experiences as an early-day plainsman are equal to many whose careers have been sung by the bards and told and retold in history. Mr. Millikan came to Johnson county in 1857 and is the oldest settler of Olathe living in that place today. He is a native of Indiana, born in Monroe county, January 7, 1827, and a son of Jonathan and Sybetha (Lowder) Millikan, natives of North Carolina, of Scotch-Irish ancestry. The father came to Indiana from North Carolina at a very early day and settled in Park county and there chopped a home out of the wilderness, and spent his remaining days in that county where his wife also died.

Jonathan Millikan is the only survivor of a family of ten children, eight boys and two girls. He remained with his parents in Indiana until he was twenty-one years old, and in 1848 went from Indiana to Fort Des Moines, Iowa, making the trip with a saddle horse, alone. This was a distance of over 400 miles, across the plains of Illinois and Iowa which at that time were sparsely settled, and Mr. Millikan encountered no trouble with the exception that houses, or settlers, were so few and far between that he found difficulty in finding places to stay over night, and on some occasions had to sleep on the prairie. After remaining in Iowa about three months, he returned to Indiana on foot, and in a short time walked back to Fort Des Moines.

On these long trips through the unsettled and wild country, Mr. Millikan never carried arms of any kind. From Fort Des Moines, he went to Burlington, Iowa, making that trip on foot and after remaining there about six weeks, he crossed the ice on the Mississippi river, which was a hazardous undertaking, at the time, and walked back to Indiana, again, and remained there over winter. His next expedition was a trip to New Orleans, as an employe on a flatboat. This was in the early fifties and after making the New Orleans trip, he returned to his Indiana home and after spending some little time went to Iowa again, but this time he drove a team and wagon. He went to Warren county where a brother of his resided, and followed teaming for two winters and in the spring of 1857 he and two other men, Messrs.

Wood and Grebb, started to Kansas with a team and wagon. On their way here they heard all kinds of rumors about Indians and border war and all the terrible things imaginable about Kansas, but the worse the stories were the more their curiosity was aroused, and they wanted to see Kansas at all hazards, and when Mr. Millikan reached Olathe, in May, 1857, or rather where Olathe now is, there were perhaps twelve or fifteen men here and one woman, a young' lady who came from the East with her brother and who later became the wife of Mr. Millikan. This was Miss Emily L. Whittier, a native of Manchester, N. H., and a daughter of Ebenezer Whittier and Emily L. Nutt, both natives of New Hampshire and of old New England stock. Emily Whittier traced her ancestry back to English royalty and she was a fifth cousin of Queen Victoria, and she was also a second cousin to John G. Whittier, the great American poet.

Her brother, who came to Kansas with Mrs. Millikan before her marriage, now resides at Decatur, Neb. His name is Jackson B. Whittier. To Mr. and Mrs. Millikan were born four children, as follows : Minnie E., born in Olathe and is now the wife of Isaac Lyons and resides at Olathe; Mardie B. resides with her father; Ella married A. A. Troy, Prairie Grove, Ark., and O. W. resides in Pittsburgh, Pa. The wife and mother passed away July 22, 1914. She was an unusual woman and possessed a great deal of literary ability, but for several years before her death, was not strong physically. She took a great deal of interest in old settlers and old settlers' affairs and wrote considerable of the early times in Kansas. One of her articles along that line appears elsewhere in this volume. Mr. M/illikan built the first frame residence in Olathe in 1857, and this house is now standing and is occupied and has been kept in a very good state of preservation.

It does not differ in appearance from the average residence. It is located at 109 West Poplar Street. When Mr. Millikan came here the old Santa Fe Trail, or "The Road," as he calls it, was in full operation and the trail passed through his claim, which was located a half mile east of town where he still lives. He relates many interesting incidents concerning travel on the old Santa Fe Trail in the fifties. He has seen hundreds of Mexican ox drivers, frequently with trains of fifty wagons and from ten to twenty yoke of oxen to each wagon, trudging along through the dust of each other's wagons following the trail across the plains. Mr. Millikan says that the cruelties of these Mexican ox drivers to the oxen baffles description. He says the drivers were much inferior to the oxen. He has frequently seen them bareheaded, barefooted, with no clothing except a shirt, and he says "that their hair would be so full of dirt that you could grow cabbage on top of their heads.

Since coming to Kansas Mr. Millikan has followed farming and stockraising, and has been uniformly successful, and is one of the well-to-do men of the country. He retired in 1913, and since that time has rented his land and devoted himself to looking: after his various interests. His Millikan is a Democrat and was the first assessor elected, of Olathe township, receiving his commission from Territorial Governor J. W. Denver, to 1857, and Mr. Millikan still has in his possession the old time-worn and stained commission.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Segelquist Family Of Scranton, Kansas.

The name of Segelquist is one of a kind there is not other name like it.  If your name is Segelquist and no matter were in the world you are, your part of one big family.  all the Segelquist in the world will find that their roots started in a little town in Kansas, called Scranton.

In the early 1880's four brothers and one sister came from Seglora, Sweden to Scranton Kansas; Peter, Martin, Klaus, John and Josephine.  The brothers worked in the local coal mines in Scranton for some time.  Peter decided to farm so he farmed in the Jersey Creek area until 1906, then sold out and moved to Texas to rice farm.

Klaus, John and Martin bought farms northwest of Scranton.  They farmed in the summer and mined coal in the winter.  They sold coal to local residents in Scranton.  It was hauled in by team and wagon, then later by truck.  Farmers for miles around would come in early fall withteams and wagons to get their supply of coal for the winter.  Due to lack of help the mine was closed .  The mine went by the name of Segelquist Brothers.  The Segelquist helped organize the Scranton Covenant Church which they were all members.

Author note.  At the time this information was written it was stated that some of the children and some relatives were still living on the home farm.  That was true, but many years has passed and all of the original family has passed all but one a sister Anne Marie who is in her upper 80's and is now living in Scranton.  As for me I'm the son of John Andrew ''Andy'' Segelquist, one of the original eight children.

Scranton City Cemetery.
Segelquist Family.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Urish Family Of Scranton Kansas.

The Urish family were early settlers in the Scranton community Henry J. and Lucy Urish, coming from Sand Prairie, Illinois, in the spring of 1880 with their small son.  Theie farm located one and one-half miles Northeast of Scranton had been purchased from Amos Davis in 1879.

Henry and Lucy Urish were the parents of seven sons and one daughter.  Lou the youngest son, has been a lifelong resident of this community and has many memories of the early days.  His parents first house was a log cabin, laterreplaced by a large two story house.  His father raised percheron horses, importing thorough-bred breeding stock from France.

The railroad bridge was the only bridge across 110 Mile Creek at the time.  Wagon tracks where early setters drove overland between Scranton and Carbondale and still visible in the Urish pasture todat.

Ridgeway Township map, 1899.
The Urish name was also spelled Urich.
The map is so you can see just where their land was located.

Henry Urish, Farmer and Cattle Frrder, Ridgeway Township, Section 23, P. O. Carbondale.
H. J. Urish,  Farmer and Cattle Frrder, Ridgeway Township, Section 35, P. O. Scranton..

The dates on these pictures are not stated but were plub., 1899.
The dates on this picture is not stated but was plub., 1918..

Friday, April 5, 2013

Eli Fowler and Levi V. Fowler.

Eli Fowler, Farmer, Lyon County, Emporia, Kansas.
Eli fowler, Private, 11th., Kansas Cavalry, Company C., Enlisted August 23, 1862, Mustered in September 10, 1862.  Promoted to Corporal, Mustered out August 7, 1865.
Levi V. Fowler, Farmer, Lyon County, Emporia, Kansas.
Levi V. Fowler, Private, 11th., Kansas Cavalry, Company C., Enlisted August 16, 1862, Mustered in September 10, 1862.  Mustered out August 7, 1865.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Newton Ainsworth.

Newton Ainsworth.
Push to enlarge.
Newton Ainsworth, a prosperous farmer and breeder of short Horn cattle, residing four miles south of Olather, Johnson County, Kansas, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio March 23, 1835, While Mr. Ainsworth was very young his father John Ainsworth, with family removed to a farm three miles north of Piqus, Miami County, Ohio, where Newton lived until he was grown.  His educational and social advantages were those common to a pioneer life in Ohio.

In 1856 he removed to Kansas and settled in Quindaro, Wyandotte County, and in 1857, he removed to Johnson County, locating on his present farm where he has since resided.

An historical and interesting featur about this farm was a large elm tree, which stood about center of the farm at the crossing of the Booneville and Santa Fe trail; it was the first camping ground from outfitting points in Missouri going west, and was very familiar to the ''Old Forty-Niners'', On their way to California as the ''Lone elm'', Camping ground, and was known from St. Louis to Mexico and California.  Mr. Ainsworth's farm has inherited the name ''Lone Elm'', It has been known by that name in the past and will be known as such in the future.

Mr. Ainsworth was married to Miss Rose Hamill, of Leavenworth, and this union has blessed with five children; David E., Ralph W., Harry C., George B., And Homer A., Mr. Ainsworth has much love for Kansas soil that he has been reaching out from the old homestead until he has a farm or each of his boys, all ressiding in Johnson County.

The surviving members of his father's family are all living in the West.  The eldest now, Mrs. E. M. Black, is a resident of Olathe.  The second child was a porsperous farmer in Wyandott County, and died in 1871.  Dr. Richard M., is a resident of Oklahoma City.  Ephraim H., was well to do farmer of Spring Hill, of this County, and died April 18, 1902.  David E., the youngest member of the family enlisted in the Civil War while attending collage at Ann Arbor, Michigan, received a Lieutenant commission and afterwards, promoted a captaincy.  He was killed at the battle of the Wilderness.

David E. Ainsworth, service record.

David E. Ainsworth. Residence Ann Arbor.  Enlisted service in Company D., Tweneth Michigan Infantry, at its organization as Second Lieutenant, Age 24.  Commissioned July 29, 1862.  Mustered in August 18, 1862.  Commissioned First Lieutenant January 26, 1863.  Mustered in February 29, 1863.  Killed in action at Spottsylvania Virginia, May 12, 1864.

Authors note.  His service record does not show he was promoted to Captain although its possible he was promoted to Captain but was killed before beening mustered in.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Offerle Kansas

Offerle Kansas.
Edwards County.
Trenton township map, 1906
On the county map you can find Offerle in township 25-south and range 20-west.  On the township map you can find Offerle in section 7.
Offerle Post Office.
Offerle post office open May 27, 1876 and was still running in 1961.  E. P. Ott was postmaster in 1906.
Postmaster, Dealer in Lumber and Hardware.
Push to enlarge.
Patrons of Edwards county who used Offerle as their P. O. address as of 1906.
M. G. Verill, Farmer and stock Raiser, came to county 1889.
R. F.. brown, farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1886.
J. M. Delaney, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1875.
F. E. Fox, Stock Raiser, Well Driller and Thresing Operator, came to county 1978.
C. A. Geitgey, General Merehandise, came to county 1904.
Blair Hedges, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1901.
M. J. Heltzel, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1877.

Jacob Albert Fucker, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came county 1888.
G. C. Kimes, Genreal Merehandise, came to county 1905.
Etuart Kurth, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1886.
I. B. Miller, Minister, Evangelical Association, came to county 1903.
B. l. Sams, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1903.
Konsthntine Sckwartz, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1877.
Henry G. Wetzel, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1890.
L. L. Wilson, Farmer and Stock Raiser came to county 1903.
Offerle Kansas, 1912.
Lawrence Offerle was founder of Offerle, was a Merchant and Farmer and Stock Raiser.  Mr. Offerle was one of the earliest settlers in Edwards County.
Offerle, a village in Edwards county, is located in Trenton township on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., 9 miles west of Kinsley, the county seat. It has a number of general stores, a mill, a grain elevator, a creamery, telegraph and express offices, and a money order postoffice with one rural route. The population according to the census of 1910 was 200.

Monday, April 1, 2013

David Parshall Blish.

Push to enlarge.
David Parshall Blish.

Birth: Oct. 6, 1836, Stamford, Delaware County, New York.
Death: May 14, 1907, Atchison, Atchison County, Kansas.
Parents: Novatus Blish (1795 - 1848).
Spouse: Lucinda Silliman Blish (1838 - 1914)
Burial: Mount Vernon Cemetery, Atchison, Atchison County, Kansas.

Authors noteThere will be some miss spellings.

David P. Blish, deceased, of Atchison, Kan., was one of that city's foremost citizens and for thirty-seven years was an active participant in its industrial life and progress. He was a native of the Empire State, born at Stamford. Delaware county New York. Oct. 6, 1836. His early education was obtained in the local schools of Stamford, one of his schoolmates being the late Jay Gould, the noted financier. Their school days together led to a friendship that continued throughout life, and in after years, when a witness who had known the great financier all of his life was needed in settling up the Jay Gould estate, Mr. Blish was summoned to New York City to give the necessary evidence. Mr. Blish spent his boyhood and youth on the faim, where early in life there were inculcated in his mind those principles of thrift and industry so essential to success, and which he employed to a marked degree during liis entire business career. 

As he was reared on a farm, it was natural that he should choose the great basic industry of agriculture as his vocation in life. Therefore, with that idea in view, he left liis native state in early manhood and located on a farm near Ripon, Fond du Lac count}", Wisconsin, but after operating the farm for a time he was induced to accept the position of a tra%eling salesman for a large agricultural implement house, in Chicago, and it was while thus employed that he conceived the plan of establishing himself in the hardware and implement business. He selected Atchison as the most favorable location and in 1870 organized and established the Blish. Mize & Silliman Hardware Company.

His partners were E. A. Mize, a man of exceptional business sagacity, and J. 15. Silliman, also well qualified for the business. The firm proved a strong, well balanced one from the start, for each of its members was endowed with that intuitive tact and judgment which are so essential to successful business. On the organization of the company Mr. Blish was chosen Pesident, which position he held for thirty-seven years, or until his death. He was actively devoted to the growth and prosperity of the company until failing health compelled him to retire from active participation in its affairs. Much of this great firm's success and prestige, as well as the principles and policies continued by it since the death of Mr. Blish, were due to him.

Although one of Atchison's most active business men, Mr. Blish was none the less devoted to the work of the church and to the upbuilding of society in general. When still a young man he united with the Episcopal church, and during his long residence in Atchison was a devout member of Trinity Episcopal Church and served as its senior warden several years. He was also prominent in the councils of the Diocese.  He was a man of exceptional probity and honor, and so lived that the impress of his life will be felt in the community for years to come. He was always generous in dealing with charity in all of its phases, and no worthy man who needed aid ever appealed to him in vain. Thus, when he was called to his reward. May 14, 1907, the loss of the community was felt and mourned by all, for no man in Atchison was held in higher esteem than was David P. Blish. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Lucinda (Silliman) Blish, an estimable Christian woman, now residing in her beautiful home in Atchison.

Weaver Kansas.

Weaver Kansas.

Douglas County.
Eudora Township map, 1902.
On the township map you can find Weaver in section 34.
Weaver Post Office.
Weaver post office open July 22, 1891 and ran to September 30, 1903.  The post office sat on the land own by John F. Weaver, who was postmaster in 1902 and may have been first postmaster.
Postmaster and Merchant.
Two patrons who used Weaver as their P. O. address as of 1902.
John W. Kindred, Potato Grower and Shipper of Potatos, came to coounty 1896.
John F. weaver, Farmer, Merchant and Postmaster and Station Agent, came to county 1865.
Weaver Kannsas, 1912.
Weaver, a hamlet of Douglas county, is situated in the extreme northeastern portion on the south bank of the Kansas river, about 3 miles northeast of Eudora, the nearest railroad station, from which it has rural free delivery.