Friday, August 31, 2012

Buffalo Kansas

Buffalo, one of the incorporated towns of Wilson county, is located in Clifton township on the Missouri Pacific R. R. and on Buft'alo creek, 15 miles northeast of Fredonia, the county seat. It has a bank, a weekly newspaper, brick and tile works, a feed mill, express and telegraph offices, and an international money order postoffice with two rural routes. The town is located in the oil and gas fields. The population for 1910 was 807.

Buffalo was founded in 1867, when a postoffice was established there with Chester Gould as postmaster. The first store was opened in 1869 by the Young Bros., and the first hotel by John Van Meter, in 1870. The Buffalo Agricultural Society was organized in 1872. In 1886 the railroad was built, which was an impulse to the growth of the place. The next year the first bank was started. The town was incorporated as a city of the third class in 1898, and the first election held in October of that year, when the following officers were chosen Mayor, E. B. Johnson; police judge, A. Jamieson ; clerk, C. M. Callarman ; treasurer, J. L. Dryden; street commissioner, O. P. Neff"; councilmen, W. L. Ward, J. S. Blankenbecker, B. E. Jones, A. A. McCann, G. K. Bideau.

Business men who used Buffalo as their P. O., address as of 1881.
William Knous, Farmer and Blacksmith, from Ohio, came to county 1871.
Samuel Kustanbauter, Farmer and Mason, from Tennessee, came to county 1879.
James S. Magill, Farmer and Stock Raiser, From Indiana, came to county 1870.
J. A. Magill, Farmer, Fruit a specialty, from Indiana, came to county 1869.
Henry Pearmain, Notary Public and Collecting Agt., from England, came to county 1887.
Susan Spillman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Tennessee, came to county 1859.
Elijah Stanfield, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Tennessee, came to county 1860.
Henry Brown, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from England, came to county 1868.
W. H. Thomas, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from England, came to county 1868.
Dan'l Follmer & Bro., Wagon Maker.
John B. Smith, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1868.
J. H. Gundy, Stock Raiser, from Missouri, came to county 1861.
J. D. Allen, Dealer in General Merchandies, from Indiana, 1869.
W. H. Roby, Dealer in Drugs and Medicines, from Maryland, came to county 1861.
John Kinkaid, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1861.
Robert Steele, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Scotland, came to county 1858.
George Brown, Prop. "Shepherd's Home," from New York, came to county 1868.
J. E. Carley, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1869.
R. J. Rogers, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1870.
Here are some marriages that took place in the city of Buffalo through the years.

NoteEither one or both parties were from Buffalo.

Walter L. Anglin, age 22, married Hattie L. Cockrell, age -, December 25, 1892.

Samuel G. Apt, age 21, married Flora Dryden, age 21, December 28, 1887.

George O. Beam, age 25, married Cora Dickey, age 21, December 23, 1896.

William E. Becannon, married Miss Millie M. Coon, July 26, 1899.

Joseph Blackwood, age 18, married Ollie Hutchison, age 20, December 25, 1889.

William B. Blackwood, age 50, married Mrs. Amanda Colaw, age 37, December 5, 1900.

Edward E. Davis, age 37, married Ivah Hisey, age 25, September 24, 1891.

John L. Dryden, age 26, married Mabel Whitaker, age 19, June 8, 1898.

Calvin M. Fagan, age 26, married Ida Farris, age 18, February 28, 1889.

Oscar J. Ferguson, age 25, married Maggie E. Beals, age 19, February 7, 1890.

George Gould, age 21, married Rosa Dradfield, age 18, December 16, 1888.

Charles A. Grubb, age 28, married Addie Harrington, age 20, November 2, 1887.

Peter Heil, age 24, married Lillie Love, October 12, 1888.

William W. Jones, age 23, married Zella ( Rosella ) Brown, age 18, April 25, 1888.

Samuel B. Lee, age 24, married Montie A. Anderson, age 25, October 19, 1898.

Harry Mitchell, age 21, married Rosa Cohoe, age 17, November 15, 1899.

George E. Offenbacker, age 25, married Ida F. Beck, age 22, February 26, 1889.

James C. Preston, age 30, married Nellie A. Cowdery, age 23, July 27, 1893.

George W. Reagan, age 23, married Nellie Surprise, age 21, June 2, 1898.

Ruben Richards, married Elizabetn Gunby, September 25, 1866.

Augustus Roger, age 46, married Sue Decker, age 36, September 26, 1887.

Nelson B. Runyan, age 23, married Anna Cook, age 18, February 22, 1888.

Thomas E. Shultz, age 21, married Mary E. Hignt or Hight, age 18, December 14, 1897.

John N. Spencer, age 25, married Clara B. Bagert, age 20, October 26, 1897.

James A. Wallace, age 28, married Ida F. White, age 23, August 10, 1890.

David S. Wiley, age 21, married Mary R. Snider, age 18, August 23, 1888.


Thursday, August 30, 2012

Baileyville Kansas.

Baileyville, a village of Nemaha county, is located on the St. Joseph & Grand Island and the Missouri Pacific railroads, 6 miles west of Seneca, the county seat. It has banking facilities, express and telegraph offices and a money order postoffice with two rural routes. The population in 1910 was 250. The town was founded by N. Bailey in 1880. A postoffice with G. M. Rasp as postmaster was established. A large hay press and sheds were erected by S. H. Rice & Co. of St. Joseph, who also started a store for the benefit of their employees and others who settled in the neighborhood.

Baileyville, the westernmost town of the county, was named in honor of ex-Governor Bailey's father, who laid out the town seven miles west of Seneca. It has prospered and become a convenient shipping point, if not a city of any considerable growth. G. M. Rasp was the first postmaster of the village and a St. Joseph firm estabHshed a store, hay sheds, etc. Later these were sold to the Bailey Brothers and to other interested local citizens. The St. Joseph & Grand Island put in a siding and Baileyville increased in numbers, citizenship and substantiality.

The most interesting thing of Baileyville is a community h^ll, built for the use and entertainment of both villagers and country people of the surrounding farms. Club meetings, social and business gatherings are held here. It is a well built, nice looking building, of which any community might be proud.

Business men who used Baileyville as their P. O., address as of 1887.
In 1887 Baileyville, was in Marlon Township.

B. W. Anderson, Postmaster, Grain and Coal Dealer.  From Tennessee, came to county 1884.

N. J. Bailey, General farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1881.

O. Bailey, General farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1883.

N. E. Bailey, General Stock Raiser and farmer, from Illinois, came to county 1879.

W. A. Crow, General Merchandise, from Missouri, came to county 1887.

Mathew Donelley, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ireland, came to county 1879.

W. N. Frank, Livery and Feed Barn, from Illinois, came to county 1858.

H. Flintie, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Germany, came to county 1870.

Jacob P. Good, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1881.

B. Harrison, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Virginia, came to county 1881.

James E. Ivers, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Canada, came to county 1879.

George S. Melinday, General Merchandise, from Vermont, came to county 1884.

William M. Mains, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Iowa, came to county 1884.

B. F. McBratney, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1859.

J. Rumft, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Germany, came to county 1883.

W. H. Stall, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1881.

M. Sigler, Blacksmith and farmer, from New Jersey, came to county 1881.

J. J. Thomas, Stock Dealer, from Ohio, came to county 1883.

W. A. Walker & Co., Lumber, Hardware, Paints & Oils, Patent Hog Fence., From Illinois, came to county 1883.

J. M. Witmer, Farmer and Stock Raiser.  Breed of Norman Horses, came to county 1883.

L. Wilhelm, Blacksmith and Wagon Maker, from Indiana, came to county 1886.

S. K. Warrenburg, Stock Raiser and Dealer, from Ohio, came to county 1883.

W. T. Weir, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from New Jersey, came to county 1883.

M. M. Wachter, Druggist and Physician, from Marland, came to county 1885.

J. H. Young, General Merchandise, from Iniana, came to county 1883.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Neva or Agenda Kansas.

Neva is the name of the town and Agenda the name of the railroad station and postoffice. This town was laid out in 1887. The first building erected on the townsite other than railroad buildings was a store 28x50 feet, built by Joseph Cox in the fall of 1887. This building was rented by Stephen Bradley, who commenced selling goods in No- vember of that year and is still in the business at the same place. Geo. W. Smith built the second store and sold goods for several years.   The grain elevator was built some two years later.The postoffice was kept at the depot for some time, when it was moved to Bradley's store and Bradley appointed postmaster, where it has been ever since, except during the four years of Cleveland's administration, during which time Geo. W. Smith was postmaster.
Agenda, a village of Republic county, is located in the northern part of Elk Creek township, and is a station on the Chicago. Rock Island & Pacific R. R., 17 miles southeast of Belleville, the county seat. The first house in Agenda was erected by Joseph Cox in 1887, soon after the town was laid out. It has a money order postoffice with one rural delivery
route, express and telegraph offices, several general stores and other business establishments, a bank, a grain elevator, and in 1910 reported  a population of 200.
Agenda Postoffice.

Agenda Postoffice open February 11, 1874 ran to September 4, 1883.  Closed then reopen April 19, 1888 and ran to October 3, 1998.
Elk Creek Township, 1884.
Agenda is in section 16, of Elk Creek Township.  Three years before Agenda was laid out the land was owned by the follwing.
C. M. Way, 160 acres.
E. J. McDonald, 160 acres.
Mary L. Spoor, 80 acres.
J. H. Ranney, 80 acres.
A. O. Rcutt, 80 acres.
G. H. Ros-ell?, 80 acres.
Business men who used Agenda as their PO., address as of 1883.
JOHN MOORE, farmer, P. O. Agenda, was born in the Shenandoah Valley, Va., 1836 remaining there until 1873, except what time he served in the army, from 1861 until February, 1862. In 1873, migrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 21, Township 4, Range 1. Was forty miles from market, and there were no improvements in sight, and but few settlers in the township. Has since added 160 acres on Section 28 to his place. This is well watered by Elk Creek, with five or six acres of timber, making a very desirable stock farm. Has sixty acres under the plow on the homestead, good frame house, good granary and stables, and a good orchard of 100 apple and 100 peach trees, grapes and small fruits. Has about twenty acres broke in Section 28, and 100 acres fenced for pasture. Has been working into stock, and has twenty-five head of fine cattle, which he will increase to about twice this number. Has made arrangements to ship some full-blooded Short-horn stock, which he will make a specialty of. Also raises from fifty to 100 head of hogs annually. Has been very successful since his settlement in this State. Was married in 1857 to Miss Julia Estep, of Virginia. They have two children, viz., Charles T. and Sarah A.

Business men who used Agenda as their PO., address as of 1904.
Alexander Boal, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1885.
E. O. Boman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1879.
David Doran, Retired Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1868.
Henry T. Harbaugh, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1878.
John A. Henderson, Farmer and Township Clerk.
Dr. J. H. Houck, Physician, came to county 1884.
W. H. Jones, Farmer, came to county 1872.
C. T. B. Moore, Farmer and Shipper of live stock, came to county 1873.
John Moore, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1877.
Jerry Opocensky, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1879.
George W. Ryman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1886.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Nonparied Now Abbyville Kansas.

Abbyville taken in 1909.
Push to enlarge.
Abbyville, a village of Reno county, is situated in Westminister township, 17 miles southwest of Hutchinson, the county seat. The former name was Nonpariel. It is a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., has a bank, a money order postoffice with two rural routes, express, telegraph and telephone facilities, churches of the leading Protestant denominations, some mercantile and shipping interests, and in 1910 reported a population of 300.

Postoffice History.

Abbyville Postoffice open on June 1, 1886, was moved from Salt Creek.

Business Men of Abbyville, 1902.

Map of Westminster Township showing Abbyville, 1902.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Easton Kansas.

There are two pieces on how Easton got its start, bothe have about the same information with little diffidences in both.

Easton, one of the important early settlements of Leavenworth :ounty, is situated on the Stranger river and the Union Pacific R. R. in the northwestern part of the county 11 miles northwest of Leavenworth. In the autumn of 1854, Gen. L. J. Eastin, and his associates located the town of Eastin and it was named in honor of the general. The spelling was changed to Easton through the influence of Gov. Reeder, for his native town in Pennsylvania. The first settler was Andrew Dawson, who opened a store just above the bridge in 1852. In 1855 Stephen Minard bought this store, settled in the village and opened the first hotel. In Dec, 1855, a postoffice was opened and the village began to thrive. A number of free-state men settled in the town and vicinity and during the border troubles it was regarded as a headquarters for men of this political faith. Several churches were built at an early day, a school was opened and great things were expected of the town. Early in the '80s it had two general stores, a blacksmith shop and grocery. Today the town is the supply and shipping point for a rich agricultural community, has several general stores, a hardware and implement house, lumber yard, money order postoffice, express and telegraph facilities, hotel, good graded school, and is one of the leading towns in the western part of the county. In 1910 the population was 310.

In the early autumn of 1854, Andrew Dawson, Col. Wm. G. Mathias, Gen. L. J. Eastin and others located the village of "Eastin," its name being given in honor of the last named gentleman, the editor of the Herald. Through Governor Reeder's liking for his native town in Pennsylvania, "Easton," the "i" was dropped and the name of the village was spelled as it is now. Andrew J. Dawson was probably the first white settler in the township, having opened a ranch and store in 1852, near what was known as Dawson's Ford, the crossing of the Big Stranger on the Fort Riley road just above the bridge. Stephen Minard bought out the Dawson place in 1855, settled in the village, and opened a hotel, S. F. Rhea having laid out and platted the town in March of that year. Mr. Rea settled in the township in October, 1854. In December 1855, a post-office was established and Mr. Dawson appointed Postmaster. Samuel J. Kookagee, after marrying Mrs. Dawson, also opened a ranch and store and did a flourishing business in Easton for several years. Among the other early settlers of the village and township may be mentioned: H. B. Gale (1854), Jackson Crane (1854), John Thornburg (1855), A. K. Adamson, Joshua Turner, Dr. Oliphant, Claude Oliphant, Wm. Kelsey, Robert Kelsey, Robert Bishop, Thomas Snoddy (1855), and Charles Foster (1855). Easton has now a population of between seventy-five and one hundred people, has three church societies-Methodist Episcopal, Baptist, and Catholic-a Masonic Lodge (No. 45, forty members), two general stores, one blacksmith shop, and a grocery store. The Baptists have a society numbering sixty members, under Rev. Mr. Hotchkiss. The Methodists have a neat church building valued at $1,000, the society being in charge of Rev. J. O. Roberts, of Oskaloosa, and having a membership of twenty-five. The Catholics, in charge of Father B. Vanderlage, have a $1,200 house of worship and a membership of about one hundred. He also has a charge in Alexandria Township. At Round Prairie, in the same township, the Christian Church has quite a flourishing society and the Presbyterians have also an organization. Easton is a rich farming township. There is also a flour and corn-meal mill on the Big Stranger, at Millwood. Its proprietor is Mrs. J. P. Rupp. She has some $10,000 invested in the property. St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, is located in Easton Township, Leavenworth County, near the village of Millwood. It was incorporated by the State authorities at Topeka, October 19, 1880. The structure is of frame 24 x 32 feet, and cost about $800, which was contributed by the members of the congregation. The first trustees were Mrs. John Heim, Martin Nieman and Henry Meinert, who are still in office. The building was commenced in 1880 and completed the same year. The first services were held on Sunday, June 15, 1881, by the Rev. Mr. Meyer, of Leavenworth, who preached in the morning, and by the Rev. Mr. Zschoche, of Atchison, who officiated at the afternoon services. The congregation at present is without pastor, but it is supplied in the mean time by a young and talented student, Ernst Kirchner, from Concordia College, Springfield, Ill., who in addition to preaching the Gospel, also has charge of the school, consisting of ninteen (sic) pupils, held in the same building.

Business men who used Easton as their PO., as of 1883.
E. K. ADAMSON, farmer, P. O. Easton, came to Kansas June 6, 1854, and located in Alexander Township, Leavenworth County, where he was engaged in farming and resided for ten years. He then removed to Easton Township in the same county where he has since lived. He was for fourteen years engaged in the general mercantile business in Easton. He has been Clerk of Easton Township eight years and a member of the Board of School District No. 22, Leavenworth County, for fourteen years. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church (South). He is Senior Deacon of Easton Lodge, No. 45, A., F. & A. M. He was made a Master Mason in 1848, becoming a member of Ringo Lodge, No. 47, of Newmarket, Mo. He was one of the charter members of Easton Lodge, and has held every office in this lodge except Junior Deacon. He is also a member of the Mutual Benefit Society of Topeka. Mr. A. participated in the last war during the Price Raid as a member of Company D, Nineteenth Regiment Kansas Militia, and enlisted in the fall of 1864, at Easton, served fourteen days and was discharged at Leavenworth. He was born in Jefferson County, East Tennessee, July 12, 1822, and lived in his native State until 1831, when he removed to Saline County, Mo., where he lived on year and a half and then removed to Ray County in the same State, where he resided until February, 14, 1847, and then removed to Platte County, Mo., where he lived until he came to Kansas. He was married July 12, 1843, in Platte County, Mo., to Miss Rebecca Randolph, a native of Tennessee. They have had thirteen children, six of whom are living - Mattie E. (married to Joshua Turner, a resident of Easton), Nancy (married to John B. Oliphint, a resident of Easton), Galen (married to Laura Evans, a native of Missouri), Grant, Christina and Robert. Mr. Adamson has a choice bottom farm of forty-seven acres which is all enclosed and all in cultivation. He has a small orchard which is well filled with apple and cherry trees. His place is well supplied with water, having a good, never-failing well, and the Dawson Branch of Stranger Creek flowing through the west portion of his farm. The improvements consist of a comfortable frame dwelling house, stock barn, smoke house etc. He had twenty acres in corn this year (1882), part of which averaged forty bushels to the acre and the remainder seventy-five bushels.

J. C. BAIRD, fruit grower and shipper, Section 14, P. O. Easton, Leavenworth County, came to Kansas in April, 1861, locating on his farm in Easton Township, where he has since resided. He was Trustee of Easton Township two terms. He is a member of Easton Lodge, No. 45, A., F. & A. M. and of Custer Post No. 6, G. A. R. of the city of Leavenworth. He participated in the war of the rebellion as First Sergeant of Company C. Seventeenth Regiment of Kansas Infantry and enlisted in the city of Leavenworth August 23, 1864, and was mustered out November 15, 1864, at Fort Leavenworth. His regiment served mostly on the western frontier. Mr. Baird was born in Brown County, Ohio, March 11, 1836, and lived in his native State until his nineteenth year, when he left Ohio for the West. After residing in Missouri until the fall of 1858, he, with fifteen others, went to Pike's Peak. He remained there about two years and then returned to Ohio, and from there came to Kansas. He was married March 19, 1861, in Scioto County, Ohio, to Miss Martha Tucker, a native of Ohio. They have five children living - Charles B., Ellen S., Eva B., William A., and Arthur C. Mr. B. owns a choice upland farm of thirty acres, all enclosed with an excellent hedge and all under cultivation. The firm of which he is senior member (Baird & Son) devote their attention exclusively to raising and shipping fruit. Their orchard covers about twenty-five acres and contains about 4,000 apple, 200 pear, cherry, quince and other fruit trees. They have six acres in small fruits-principally raspberries and blackberries-and about two acres in grapes. They use one of Zimmerman's, No. 4, fruit and vegetable dryers. Its capacity is fifty bushels per day and it is driven to its fullest extent. They also make a specialty of manufacturing a superior article of pure cider vinegar, of which they average seventy-five barrels yearly. The improvements on the farm consist of a seven-room handsome frame cottage dwelling house two stories high, eligibly situated on an elevated site which commands a fine view of the surrounding country, the grounds being tastefully laid out and filled with evergreens, shrubbery and shade trees. There is also a fruit house 20 x 40 feet, with cellar, large stock barn, smoke house and other buildings on the property.

WILIAM N. BORDEN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 23, P. O. Easton, came to Kansas in the spring of 1843, and located in what is now Kickapoo Township, where he lived six months, and from there removed to Platte County, Mo., where he lived until July, 1844, when he returned to Kansas and located in the village of Easton, Leavenworth County, where he resided three years, and was engaged in the grocery business. From Easton he removed to Denver, Colo., where he resided about one and a half years, and then returned to Easton. From there he removed to his farm in Easton Township, where he has resided since. He was Road Supervisor of Easton Township for two years, and member of the School Board of District No. 72, Leavenworth County, two years. He is a member of Easton Lodge, No. 45, A., F. & A. M. During the war of the Rebellion, Mr. Borden was engaged in freighting and furnishing cattle for the United States Government. He was born in Green County, Tenn., December 25, 1813, and lived in his native State until his eighteenth year, when, after spending a short time in Kentucky and Indiana, he went to Augusta, Ga., where he lived two years, and then removed to Platte County, Mo., where he lived twelve years, and then went to California, where he lived two years, and was engaged in mining and keeping a boarding-house. He then returned to Missouri via the Isthmus of Panama and Havana, where, after remaining a short time, he came to Kansas. He was married in Platte County, Mo., May 15, 1839, to Miss Martha Adamson, a native of Tennessee. They have had fourteen children, five of whom are living - Rebecca Ann (married to Robert Bishop, a native of Kentucky, and a resident of Easton, Leavenworth County), Jacob W. (a resident of Colorado), Samuel K. (a farmer, residing in Easton Township, married to Miss Mary Sparks, a native of Kansas), Nancy C. (married to Walter B. Townsend, a resident of the city of Atchison), and Robert S. Mr. Borden has an upland farm of 120 acres, all inclosed (sic), and 100 acres of which are in cultivation, the balance being timber land. His orchard covers five acres, and contains 250 apple, 500 peach, fifty cherry, and a number of pear and plum trees. There is also an abundance of small fruits and grapes. The farm is well supplied with water, having a good well and two large springs. The improvements consist of a four-room frame dwelling house, 18 x 32, with cellar; stock stable and granary 36 x 40, and other outbuildings.

JOHN L. BRISTOW, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Easton, came to Kansas, March 1, 1855, and located in Easton Township, Leavenworth County, where he has resided since. He has been Supervisor of the roads of Easton Township one term, member of the School Board of District No. 72, Leavenworth County, three terms. He is a member of the Old School Baptist Church. Mr. Bristow participated in the war of the Rebellion as Sergeant of Company A, Eleventh Regiment, Kansas Volunteers, and enlisted in Easton, in August, 1862, and was discharged at Fort Leavenworth, in September, 1865. He took part in the battles of Fort Wayne, Ark., Cane Hill, Prairie Grove, Lexington, Independence, Westport, and other minor engagements and skirmishes. He was born in Boone County, Ind., June 27, 1837, and lived in his native State until September, 1854, when he started for Kansas, stopping in Warren County, Ind., where he remained through the winter. He was married in Easton Township, March 6, 1862, to Miss Missouri A. Wilburn, a native of Ohio. They have eight children living - William Francis, Ephraim Linsey, Mary Delliah, Joseph Albert, Eliza Ann, James Jesse, Lydia Alice, and John. Mr. Bristow has a small upland farm of forty acres, all inclosed (sic) and all under cultivation. The orchard covers two acres, and contains 150 apple, 300 peach, and twenty-five cherry trees. The water supply is excellent. The improvements consist of a small frame dwelling house, stock stable, smoke-house (sic) and other outbuildings. He had twenty-five acres in corn this year, which averaged fifty bushels to the acre.

ETHBERT CAULK, farmer, P. O. Easton, came to Kansas, January 1, 1863, locating in Kickapoo Township, Leavenworth County, where he lived five years, and then removed to Easton of the same county, where he has resided since. He is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Caulk was in the United States service during the "Price Raid," in the war of the Rebellion, as a member of Company I, Nineteenth Regiment, Kansas Militia, and enlisted in the fall of 1864, in Kickapoo Township, and was discharged with his regiment at Leavenworth, after serving eighteen days. Mr. C. also served a short time in the Confederate army, having been pressed into the Rebel service while residing in Arkansas, in 1861. He was born in Guilford County, N. C., September 6, 1828, and lived in his native State until his nineteenth year, and then removed to East Tennessee, where he lived seven years. From there he removed to Washington County, Ark., where he also lived seven years, and then came to Kansas. He was married in Morgan County, Tenn., May 4, 1855, to Miss Mary S. Goddard, a native of Tennessee. They have thirteen children, of whom nine are living - William Henry, John Milton, Juliana, Samuel Ethbert, Margaret Emma, Ulysses Grant, Gideon Wesley, Mary, and Norah. Mr. Caulk has a fine upland farm of 160 acres, which is mostly enclosed, and seventy acres of which are in cultivation. His orchard contains 180 apple and 100 peach trees. The water supply is good, there being two never-failing wells, and Jones Creek running through the northeast corner of his farm. The improvements consist of a good log house, stock stable, and other farm buildings.

BARTON ELLISON, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Easton; came to Kansas in February, 1876, and located in Easton Township, where he has resided since. He was Road Supervisor of Easton Township three terms. He is a member of the Baptist Church and of Easton Lodge No. 45, A. F. & A. M. He participated in the last war as a member of Company K. Twenty-Fifth Missouri Militia, and enlisted in DeKalb, Mo., in the fall of 1862, and was discharged after serving one month at St. Joe. Shortly after his discharge he came to Kansas, where he resided until the September of the following year, when he returned to DeKalb, where he again entered the United States service as a member of Company K. Eighty-First Regiment Missouri Militia, and served until the close of the war. Mr. Ellison was born near Rushville, Rush Co., Ind., September 9, 1840, and lived in his native State until March 8, 1845, when his parents removed to DeKalb, Mo., where Mr. E. lived until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1860, in DeKalb, to Miss Nancy M. Clinkinbeard, a native of Missouri. They have one child, a daughter, Ivy Annie, the wife of S. A. Roberson, a native of Missouri and a resident of Nebraska. Mr. Ellison has a fine upland farm of eighty acres, mostly enclosed, thirty-five acres of which are under cultivation, the balance being timber and pasture land. The water supply is fair. There is a small orchard on the farm which is filled with apple, peach and cherry trees. The improvements consist of a stone dwelling house, stock barn and other outbuildings.

ROBERT FEVURLY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 23, P. O. Easton, came to Kansas in June 1868, locating on his farm in Easton Township, Leavenworth County, where he has resided since. He is a member of Easton Lodge No. 33, A. F. & A. M. He participated in the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company H, One Hundred and Fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and enlisted in Pittsburg, Pa., October 27, 1861, and was discharged at Petersburg, Va., October 28, 1864. He took part in the battles of Fair Oaks, Seven Days Fight, Second Bull Run, Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and numerous other engagements and skirmishes. Mr. Fevurly was born in Germany November 16, 1837, but left his native country at a very early age with his parents who emigrated to America, and who located at Philadelphia, where they lived about five years and then removed to Elk County, Pa., where they lived until Mr. F. attained his ninth year, when they removed to Jefferson County, in the same State, where Mr. F. lived until the breaking out of the Rebellion. After his discharge from the army he returned to Jefferson County, Pa., where he resided until he came to Kansas. He has been married twice. The first marriage took place June 19, 1870, in the city of Leavenworth, to Miss Mary A. Behler, a native of Ohio. She died October 14, 1874. Three children were the result of this marriage-Ida, Emma, and Joseph. The second marriage occurred November 28, 1875, in Easton Township, to Miss Martha McCarty, a native of Missouri. By this marriage they had four children, three of whom are living - Mollie, Edna, and Kate. Mr. Fevurly has a fine prairie farm of 320 acres, all enclosed; 160 acres are in cultivation, the balance being pasture land. The orchard covers five acres and contains 200 apple, 200 peach, 40 pear, and 30 plum trees. The farm is well supplied with water. The improvements consist of a four-roomed frame dwelling house, good barn, granary, smoke-house, etc. There is also a small tenant house on the place for the use of the farm hands.

BARTHOLOMEW GRIFFIN, laborer U. P. R. R. (K. C. Division), P. O. Easton, came to Kansas in November, 1876, locating at Fort Leavenworth, where he was a member of Company D, Twenty-Third Regiment United States Infantry. He enlisted in Boston, Mass., in October, 1875, served three years and six months-one year in Omaha, and the remainder of the time in Kansas-and was discharged for disability on account of injuries received while in the line of his duty, at Fort Leavenworth in January, 1878. After his discharge from the army, he located in the city of Leavenworth, where he lived until the fall of 1881, when he removed to Easton Township, Leavenworth County, where he has resided since. Mr. Griffin was born in Lawrence, Mass., but lived there only six months when his mother left America with him for Ireland, where he lived until his fifteenth year, when he returned to the place of his nativity, where he lived four years, and then left for Worcester, Mass., where he lived one year. From Worcester he again returned to Lawrence, where he lived four years and then entered the United States Army. He is a member of the Catholic Church and of the United Sons of Freedom. He was married in the city of Leavenworth in July, 1878, to Miss Julia Carpenter, a native of the State of New York.

Men of the Kansas Eight Regiment who came from Easton.
Company A.
Sergeant, Houts Samuel D.redisence Easton, Enlisted Sept. 16, 1861 Mustered in Sept. 16, 1861 Discharged Jan. 22, 1864, St. Louis, Mo., on account of Wound rec'in act'n Sept. 19, 1863, Chicamauga, Ga.

Corporal, Thornton James B. H. residence Easton, Enlisted Sept. 16, 1861, Mustered in Sept. 16, 1861. Promoted Captain 12th U. S. Col'd Aug. 17, 1863.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Odee and Rest Kansas.

Odee Kansas.

Odee, a country hamlet in Meade county, is located on Crooked creek in the township of the same name, about 10 miles southwest of Meade, the county seat and nearest railroad station, from which point mail is delivered by rural carrier.

Odee, while never surveyed or platted, was the name  given a store down in Odee township by the sole proprietor, ''Little" Pratt. Pratt sold out and his successor died, which destroyed any chance Odee may have had of becoming- a metropolis. A postoffice by that name was conducted in that neighborhood until a few years ago. Odee was named in honor of O. D. Lemert, who was credited with securing the establishment of the postoffice.

Odee Post office open June 1, 1881 and ran to July 31, 1909,, was in Seward county for a while.

Here are some surnames of Odee.

Rest Kansas.

Rest, a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. in Wilson county, is located on the line between Colfax and Pleasant Valley townships, 14 miles northeast of Fredonia, the county seat. It has telephone connections with all the other towns in the vicinity, general stores, and a money order postoffice. The population in 1910 was 35. Rest was a trading post before the railroad was built, and had several stores, a number of residences and a G. A. R. hall.
Rest postoffice open July 18, 1877 and ran to May 31, 1955.

Here are some business man of 1881 who used Rest as their PO. address.
B. W. Colaw, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Virginia, came to county 1872.
Joseph Knauss, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1871.
S. Coats, Farmer ans Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1871.
T. Coats, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1871.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Mill Creek--Devon Kansas.

Mill Creek Township, 1878.

Devon, a village of Bourbon county, is located on the Missouri Pacific R. R. 10 miles northwest of Fort Scott. It has a money order postoffice with one rural route, telegraph and express offices, and in 1910 had a population of 200. It is the supply town for a rich district and a considerable shipping point for produce.

Mill Creek/Devon, is in Mill Creek Township, Township 24 South Range 24 East.

Post Office Hitory.

Mill Creek, open May 16, 1860 ran to February 26, 1889, name changed to Devon.  Postoffice open February 26, 1889 ran to July 15, 1912.

Business men who used Mill Creek as their PO. Address as of 1887.

J. C. Hann, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Warren County Illinois, came to county 1874. 

Willey Bollinger, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Cape Gerardo county Maine, came to county 1855.

Jacob Gross or Cros, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Meggs county, Tenn., came to county 1855.

A. K. Hall, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Dearboune Indiana, came to county 1858.

Joseph Stewart, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Scotland, came to county 1864.

D. F. Hall, Farmer and Stock Dealer, from Portage county, Ohio, came to county 1859.

Business men who used Mill Creek as their PO., address as of 1883.

WILEY BOLLINGER, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Mill Creek, is a native of Bollinger County, Mo., born in 1831. This county was named after his grandparents who settled there in 1800. When Wiley was nine years of age, his parents removed to Northwestern Missouri, on what was known as the Fat Purchase. It was here his father died in 1853. The family then removed to Greene County, in the same State, and in 1854 his brothers Joseph and Jake came to Kansas, and selected a location. So with two yoke of cattle and a wagon they moved out in 1855, staying in an unoccupied cabin till theirs was finished. They then moved on their claim. In 1856, they received notice to leave the State, as they were Free-State people. They then went to Missouri, and took refuge with a minister named Redfield, coming back the next month, however, and settling in their home. In 1861, he served as First Lieutenant of the Mill Creek Rifle Company, and in 1863 joined the State Militia going into Capt. J. J. Stewart's company. Here he was Color Bearer and Ensign. Notwithstanding the hardships and perils of the Kansas pioneer, the life in the old cabin was described as very pleasant. They at one period had post office, preaching, singing school, spelling school and literary society there. It was in 1861 that Mr. Bollinger married Miss Lee, of Jasper County, Ill. Since the war they have prospered. He now owns 220 acres of land, farming in grain and stock. He has always been a prominent man in his section, having been Justice of the Peace for fifteen years, Coroner from 1868 to 1872. In 1880, the people sent him to the State Legislature, and he is now giving his aid and support to the public schools, serving as Clerk in his school district. He has five boys and three girls, all of whom he intends shall have a good education. In the M. E. Church he is a Trustee and Steward, and Recording Steward for the circuit.

JACOB GROS, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Mill Creek, is a native of East Tennessee, born in 1830. About 1853, he started West to Arkansas, but stopped in Greene County, Mo. He then came to Kansas in 1854, looking for a location. Having selected it, he built part of a cabin and then returned to Greene County, bringing his family out in 1855, being accompanied by several other families. The only one now remaining is that of Wiley Bollinger. Settling in a wilderness, he has carved out a fine, well-improved farm, but it took almost a miraculous amount of work, and in those unsettled times a great amount of personal danger. In 1864, he was out under Capt. Dan Hall, but took no part in the disturbances, though he was compelled to hide in the timber. In 1853, he married Miss Tipton. They have five children--James, Henry, Tennessee, Charlie and Lila. Mr. Gros has been Township Treasurer for some six or eight years, and is an earnest supporter of the public schools.

D. F. HALL, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Mill Creek, is a native of Portage County, Ohio, born in 1834. He remained at home until he was twenty years of age and then went to work on the Cleveland & Cincinnati Railroad. Having learned the carpenter's trade, he then went to Illinois, where he went to farming in McDonough County, but with poor success, for he first lost his crops and then his farm. In this condition he emigrated to Kansas, locating on Section 2, his present home, stopping with his brother at first until he had built. He arrived February 10, 1859, with little or nothing, and since then has accumulated a little fortune in stock and land, now having some 1,361 acres, all fenced, stocked with about 200 head of cattle and 200 hogs and Norman graded horses. On the homestead piece of land he has put some $8,000 in a fine residence and improvements. He went through all the earlier troubles, losing some property, and serving in the State militia. In 1864, his wife and family were exposed to the guerrilla warfare which raged here at that time. In 1858 he married Miss Stinson. They have four boys and two girls. Being always an earnest supporter of education, he is giving his children the advantages of the State Normal College, located at Fort Scott--William, Clarence, Ellsworth, Effie, Leonard and Maud.

W. H. HARRIS, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Mill Creek, is a native of Lower Canada, born in 1838. His parents were of English descent, and settled there at an early period. In the same year that he was born they moved to Ohio, remaining there until 1843, going thence to Illinois, where they lived until 1860. They then came to Kansas in 1860, the party consisting of his parents (both since deceased), his brothers George, John and William, also one sister, now married and living in Dakota. W. H. located in Mill Creek Township on his present farm, and has succeeded in making a beautiful home for himself and family, farming in stock and grain. In 1860, he married Miss Vineyard. sic They have one daughter. Mr. Harris has held many of the gifts in the power of the people, such as Township Trustee, School Treasurer, etc. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, having joined in 1865.

B. WILTSE, merchant and Postmaster, P. O. Mill Creek, is a native of Erie County, N. Y., born in 1832. He read law with Mr. Thayer, since Governor of Oregon, and finished his law studies at the Genesee Western Seminary, afterward practicing at Bowling Green, Ind., Chippewa Falls, Wis., and on coming to Kansas was admitted to the bar of the State. He located in Mill Creek in March, 1881, and opened a store, and at the same time taking the post office. He has about forty acres of land also, which he farms. He has been married, and now has a son and a daughter. Mr. Wiltse is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a Democrat.

Deven Kansas.
Mill Creek Township

Business men who used Devon as their PO. address as of 1923.

A.Commons, Farmer and Stock Raiser, Born in Bourbon County, 1878.

Ranch Coon, Farmer And Breeder of high grade Hereford cattle.

Earl Kendrick, Farmer and Stock Raiser.

R. P. Maxwell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1881.

S. F. Miller, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1866.

D. W. Sheeler, Physician and Drugs.

Push to enlarge.

G. A. Van Dyke, Farmer and Breeder of registered Percheron Horses, came to county 1903.


Sunday, August 19, 2012

Muscotah Kansas.

Push to enlarge

Muscotah, an incorporated town in Atchison county, is located at the junction of Little Delaware creek and the Delaware river on the Missouri Pacific R. R. in the western part of the county. The name Muscotah means beautiful prairie. The old town of Muscotah, located about two miles northeast of the present town, was laid out by Dr. W. P. Badger and Maj. C. B. Keith in the spring of 1856. The survey was completed in the fall, and Mr. Keith opened the first store about a year later.  In 1867 the Union Pacific railroad purchased the site, of the new town from an Indian. The town was surveyed in the fall of that year, and Mr. Armstrong soon afterward opened a general store, which was followed by other business houses. A number of dwellings were built, a school was established and in the early '70s it was one of the prosperous towns of the county. It is a banking point for the surrounding country, has several general stores, a hotel, hardware and implement houses, blacksmith shop, several churches, a money order postofifice, express and telegraph offices. In 1910 its population was 491.

Post office open December 23, 1861--?

The name Muscotah, of written in Indian style, Musco-tah, signifies "Beautiful Prairie" or "Prairie on Fire." The site of Old Muscotah situated two miles and a half northeast of the present town, was surveyed by Dr. W. P. Badger and Major C. B. Keith, proprietors, who had settled there in the spring of 1856. The survey was completed in the fall of that year, and in 1858, Mr. Keith opened the first store in Muscotah. Dr. Badger located on what afterward became Senator Pomeroy's farm, and succeeded Major Baldwin as Indian Agent, holding the office from 1858 to 1862. In 1867, the Union Pacific road purchased the land which became the site of New Muscotah, from Pe-at-e-quork, and Indian chief, Dr. Badger acting as agent for the railroad. The land was surveyed in the fall of 1867, a Mr. Armstrong establishing the first general store soon afterward. The very earliest settlers of Grasshopper Township, located in 1854 and 1855, along the banks of the Little Grasshopper and its tributaries. The first settlement was made September 28, 1854, by Jacob Reece. Soon afterward came his brother, William, Rufus Gooding, Wilson Allec, William D. Barnett, Alex Wills, Major Baldwin, Andrew and Mack Pate, Barney Cohoon, A. D. Simmons and E. Noland. The first child born of township settlers, although he did not see light of day in this county, was Samuel Reece, September 2, 1855. Samuel Wylie and Miss Tenitia Tenery, were married in 1857, being the first couple in the township so joined. Alex Sharp, an Indian trader, kept the first postoffice in 1858, it being situated nearly in the center of Grasshopper Township. For some time it was thought that the name Grasshopper, applied first to the stream and then to the township, originated from the fact that upon some occasion a great invasion of the winged pest may have occurred. The Kickapoo Indians, however, informed Dr. Badger, that they had never heard of the grasshopper plague, or of a grasshopper raid, until 1865. The true origin of the name is this: During one of the early surveys, Maj. Gunnison's probably, a Frenchman named Sautelle (in English, "Grasshopper,") was drowned at the mouth of the stream, which now bears his name. Kennekuk is a small town containing about fifty people. It is in the northern part of Grasshopper Township, being platted by William H. Wheeler, county surveyor, in June, 1858. The first tavern in the township was opened by Thomas Perry in September, 1857.

Business Men of Muscotah, 1903.

C. Bron, Retired farmer, came to county 1878.
M. T. Gill, came to county 1880.
A. H. Harvey, Banker and farmer, came to county 1874.
S. Heath, Attorney and Real Estate, came to county 1867.
P. T. Laughlin, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1870.
A. D. Wilcox, Came to county 1877.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Reedsville Kansas.

Map of Reedsville 1904.
Push to enlange.
Reedsville, a hamlet of Marshall county, is located in Center township 6 miles southeast of Marysville, the county seat. It receives daily mail from Home, about 3 miles away, and in 1910 had a population of 26.

SETTLEMENT OF OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTY. - March, 1857, Smith Martin settled in that section of the county now embraced in the limits of Centre township, and near the centre of the county. Others came in, in a short time, forming the nucleus of a future, prosperous neighborhood. - James Goldsberry and Isabella Fletcher were the first persons married in this section, which occurred some time during the year 1859. - Hazelville was the first post office here, established in 1870, A. W. Thomas, postmaster. This office, subsequently, was called Centreville, and now Reedsville -

Post Office History.

Heaslyille Post Office open January 25, 1870 ran to November 28, 1873, name changed to Reedsvill, post office open November 28, 1873 and ran to November 29, 1902.

Center Township, 1883.

JOSEPH GREENLEAF, farmer, P. O. Reedsville; was born in 1844, in Onondaga County, N. Y. His parents settled two years later in Calhoun County, Mich., where he grew to manhood, and enlisted in 1864 in the Seventh Michigan Cavalry. His service was in the Shenandoah Valley, and the battles of Cedar Creek and Five Forks. His horse having been show he was detailed for hospital duty, and served in Burkeville Station until near the close of the Rebellion. From 1865 to 1869 he lived in Michigan, then came to Kansas, and settled a year later on his present farm. Me. Greenleaf has his farm in a good state of improvement and cultivation. His wife was Annie Hawkins, married June 28, 1876, and their three children, Mary A., Frank and Elizabeth, were all born on the Marshall County farm. Mr. Greenleaf is a stalwart Republican in politics, and a stirring well-to-do farmer.

School District 40, 1916-17.
Theacher, Vivian Thompson.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Robert T. Jellison

Push to enlarge.

Robert T. Jellison was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, January 3d, 1848, came to Kansas in 1859 where he has resided ever since. Enlisted August 19th, 1862, in Co. I, 13th Kansas Infantry, and was mustered in soon after at Troy, Kansas. Served in the 7th army corps.Took part in three heavy engagements and several skirmishes; was mustered out July 26th, 1865, and honorably discharged. Comrade Jellison claims the distinction of being the youngest soldier now living in Republic county, if not in the state, who served in the war of the rebellion as long as he did, being only 14 years and seven months old when he enlisted. Came to Republic county in 1884;  was elected register of deeds in 1894, serving two terms.

Enlisted in the 13th., Kansas Infantry Co. I., August 19, 1862, Residence Brown County.  Mustered in September 19, 1862.  Mustered out with Regiment June 26, 1865.

"United States, Civil War and Later Pension Files, 1861-1917," Robert T. Jellison.

Name:Robert T. Jellison
Arm of Service:Infantry
Date of Filing:
State/Arm of Service:
Publication Title:Organization Index to Pension Files of Veterans Who Served Between 1861 and 1900
NARA Publication Number:T289
Publisher:National Archives and Records Administration
:Civil War Pensions.

"United States Census, 1910," Robert T Jellison, Belleville Ward 1, Republic, Kansas.

Name:Robert T Jellison
Relationship to Head of Household:Self
Residence:Belleville Ward 1, Republic, Kansas
Marital Status:Married
Race :White
Immigration Year:
Father's Birthplace:Virginia
Mother's Birthplace:Pennsylvania
Family Number:180
Page Number:7
SELF Robert T Jellison M62y Pennsylvania
WIFE Clara JellisonF46y Kansas
SON Robert T JellisonM17y Kansas
DAU Sibyl JellisonF7y Kansas

"United States Census, 1920," Robert T Jellison, , Republic, Kansas.

Name:Robert T Jellison
Residence:, Republic, Kansas
Estimated Birth Year:1849
Relationship to Head of Household:Self
Marital Status:Married
Father's Birthplace:Virginia
Mother's Birthplace:Pennsylvania
Film Number:1820547
Digital Folder Number:4300856
Image Number:00069
Sheet Number:15
SELF Robert T Jellison M71y Pennsylvania
WIFE Clara E JellisonF56y Kansas
DAU Sibyl R C JellisonF16y Kansas
Sigrid A M EnglundF35y Kansas

Munden Kansas

Munden, an incorporated town of Republic county, is located on the north line of Fairview township. 8 miles northwest of Belleville on the Chicago. Rock Island & Pacific R. R. It was established in Sept., 1887, and was named after the owner of the town site, John Munden. The first general store was built by John Washichek and the first postmaster was A. M. Canfield. Munden now has a dozen business establishments among which are a bank, a newspaper (the Munden Progress), several stores, telegraph, telephone and express offices, and a money order post-office with three rural routes. The population in 1910 was 275.

Munden is in Fairview Township it sits on the farest north boundary of Fairview and Rose Creek Township.

Post Office History.

Munden Post office open February 2, 1888-?, charnge from Bethel, Post office open Nov. 18, 1886-February 2, 1888, name changed to Munden.

Business Men of 1904, who used Munden as their Post Office address.

Lafayette Adams, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1871.
C. H. Bixter, Teacher and Dealer in imptements and Vehicles, came to county 1891.
W. E. Cartwright, farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1886.
C. A. Baird, Manger, Chicago Lumber and Coal Co.,
John E. Coulter, Farmer, came to county 1884.
Captain W. A. Coulter, farmer, came to county 1884.
Peter S. George, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1859.
E. L. McBride, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1885.
William M. Moore, Farmer and stock Raiser, came to county 1871.
James Rarusbottom, Farmer and County Commissioner, came to county 1884.
M. L. Stephens, Farmer, came to county 1880.
L. H. Thomas, Farmer, came to county 1882.
H. G. Tobbert, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1885.
J. R. Williamson, Farmer, came to county 1882.

More History on Munden, 1912.

The village of Munden, so called from John Munden, owner of the land on which the town is built and trustee for Jane Ann Stephens, is located on the north line of Fairview township. The original townsite was surveyed by E. W. Wagner, county surveyor, on the 29th and 30th days of September, 1887, containing seven blocks situated north of the C., K. & N. Railway in the northwest corner of section three (3) and the northeast corner of section four (4). The original plat was filed for record October 31st, 1887. The first addition comprising blocks eight, nine and ten lying south of the C., K. & N. Railway, was filed for record August 18th, 1890.

John Washichek built the first general store in the fall of 1887 and commenced selling goods in October of that year. Wesley Skocdopole was the first blacksmith commencing business early in the fall of 1887.

A. M. Canfield, postmaster at Bethel, built a store building in the fall of 1887 and commenced business the last of October, 1887. He was the first postmaster at Munden. John Epherson, a Swede, built a millinery store building in the winter of 1887 and 1888. Joseph Kuchera built a hardware store in the spring of 1888, moved to Munden and commenced selling goods May 6th of that year. Anton Stransky built a business house in the summer of 1888 and commenced selling goods August 1st. Amasa Welch built and kept the first restaurant and boarding house in the summer of 1888, running until fall, when he sold out to John Whitlach. The building is now occupied by Dr. G. E. Gray as a drug store. The Odd Fellows' hall, a two-story frame building, was moved from Ida to Munden in the summer of 1888. C. L. Houdek was the first to do business in this building in Munden. It was destroyed by fire June 28th, 1895. Was rebuilt of brick and dedicated April 26th, 1896. This building stands on the Rose Creek side of the line, is the best building in the town and is now occupied by Bowersox & McCall as a general store.

Mr. O. A. Allen commenced business in 1892 as grocer and confectioner and is still in business as a general storekeeper. Joseph Stransky built a general store in 1894 and has been in business ever since. Mr. Stransky is the present postmaster.
The grain business is represented by John W. Kelley and the Davis Elevator Company. The station agent is H. H. Howes.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

General William T. Sherman, Soldier Township., Shawnee County.

The information here is almost the same with a differences in both.

Push to enlarge.
Gen. William T. Sherman, when a young lawyer in Leavenworth, in order to eke out his not quite satisfactory income, turned farmer for a few months in 1859; opening during the summer a farm on Indian Creek for Hon. Thomas Ewing, of Ohio, as a place of residence for his relatives, Henry Clark and Mrs. Walker. Mr. Sherman, before their arrival, had superintended the erection of a house and barn, and the fencing of 100 acres. The town site is now occupied by a farm, no trace of the aspiring village remaining.  In the spring of 1859, William T. Sherman built a farm house in Soldier township, Section 4, Township 11, range 16.  He returned to Leavenworth in the fall of the same year.

William Tecumseh Sherman, afterwards Lieutenant General of the United States Army, was a settler in the township in 1859. At the instance of Hon. Thomas Ewing. of Ohio, he undertook the opening and management of a farm of 1,000 acres on Indian Creek, for the benefit of his grand-nephew, Henry Clark, and his grand-niece, Mrs. Walker, who joined him on the farm in the spring of that year. He fenced 100 acres and built a small frame house and a barn. He returned to Leavenworth in the fall of 1859 to resume his law business. Some of the Sherman farm buildings have been preserved as historic landmarks.

The fpllowing will give you a little insight into General Sherman Humor.

A Horse of A Different Color.

From a report of a "Special Correspondent" at Fort Harker, dated July 8, 1867, in the Leavenworth Daily Conseruative, July 10, 1867.

The other day, while Gen. Sherman was on his way up to Harker, and while the train was stopping a Manhattan, Lieutenant Governor Green called upon him and with other gentlemen urged the propriety of the U. S. govermment furnishing the Kansas volunteers with horses to ride.  "Why," said the great chief, "all that is necessary in Kansas is, for a man to take a bridle in one hand and a little salt in the other, start out, and he will get a horse most any where.  At least I have been led to believe so."

Someone in the party of listeners gathered around very quietly remarked:  "That might have done very well in Georgia, General, but it won't work in this country.  We hang men here for doing that thing."
The General smiled, but said nothing.

Soldier Township.

William T. Sherman arrived here early In the .spring of  1850, and settled on the S. W. of 4-11-l6. In his in speaking about his partnershlp in the law business at Leavenworth, he says: "Our business continued to grow, but as the income hardly sufficed for three such expensive personages. Iconcluded to look for something more lucrative, and during the spring undertook, for the Hon. Tlios. Ewing, of Oldo. to open a farm on a large tract of land ( 1,lOO ) acres on Indian Creek, forty miles west of Leavenworth, for his benelit of his grand nejihew, HenryClark, and his grand niece, Mrs. Walker. arrived in the spring, by which time I had caused to be erected a small frame house, a barn, and fencing for 100 acres. This helped to pass off time, but afforded little profit." He removed to Lveavenworth in the fall. The readers of this article hardly need to be told that this was the same W. T. Sherman who in after years became General of the United States Armies. The writer, however, remembers him as a Brigadie General imder whom he had the honor to serve in the first Bull Run fight.

How General Sherman became a Kansas lawyer.

Sherman went out to Leavenworth, Kansas, as a partner in a law firm established by two of  Thomas Ewing's sons. He was not expected to give more than passing attention to the purely legal business of the firm ; his duties were to be in the line of collections and such details as his banking  experience had qualified him for more eminently.  Yet it was expedient that Sherman should take out a "license as a lawyer. "What examination must I submit to ? " he inquired of Judge Lecompte. "None at all," replied his' honor ; "I will admit you on the ground of general intelligence ! " Thus Sherman became a member of the bar.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

James F. Taber Arrests Own Son, Willard Kansas.

The Topeka State Journal
Tuesday September 7, 1920.

Arrests Own Boy.
Willard Parent Brings Son to County Attorney Todaay

Swears Out Warrant and Pays the Ten Dollar Fine.


James F. TaberCondueted His Own Raid Last Sunday.

Says Army Life Has Aroused Gambling Spirt.

James F. Taber, of Willard, drove to Topeka in a motor car today with his son  Carl, age 18 years, and took the young man to the office of Tinkham Veale, assisant county attorney.

"I want you to issue a warrant charging this boy with gambling," He told Veale.  "I'll swear to the complant.

Veale follwed directions and issued the warrant.  Then father and son and the somewhat nonplussed Veale marched upto the thir floor of the court house and walked into the court of Topeka.

"Now my boy," said the father, "What do you want to do--stand trial or plead guilty and pay a fine?"  The bot studied a moment.  Then said.  "I'll plead guilty."

The judge find him $10 and costs which the boy paid.  Then father and son walked out of the court house, jumped into the car and droved home to Willard.

Shots Craps In Garage.

"I'm in the garge business at Willard."  The father said.  "There are a bunch of boys who have been shooting craps in the garage and other places.  My boy works in the garage.  The gambling became town talk.  It hurt my business and injured the reputation of my family.

"T warned the boy time and again to stopgambling but he didn't stop.  On Sunday afternoon I saw the boys go down towards the rail station.  "I followed.  There they were bending over a pair of dice.

"Son, you come with me," I said.  He did.  The other boys scattered." Continuing, Taber said that the gambling spirt which seems to have taken hold of the youth of Willard since the boys returned from the Army was creating much trouble.


"There are other parents who will take the same methods to put an end of this gambling business on part of the boys."  Said Taber. Taber also swore to a warrant charging Ray Mansell with gambling.  "He is the "Root" of the evil." Said Taber.  "All he does apparently is to gamble."  The warrant must be served on Mansell.  He didn't accompany Taber and his son to Topeka.  The warrant issued by Taber, the father, for his son arrest follows:

"I James F. Taber, do charge Carl Taber and Ray Mansell bet money upon the result of throwing dice; each of the said Carl Taber and Ray Mansell they and there throwing said dice and betting on the result of the movement of the same."

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Jared I. Jones.

Push to enlarge.
Jared I. Jones is a Pennsylvanlan by birth. He was born In Loulsburg April 30, 1841 and Is the son of John Jones and Elizabeth Cook. The Jones family were Welsh, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, emigrating from that country to Virginia where John Jones was born. On his mother's side Mr. Jones Is descended from Wm. Cook who was a Colonel
In the British Army during the Revolutlon and commanded a regiment under Geu. Wm. Irvine at the battle of the Brandywlne in 1778. His son Capt. John Cook, the grandfather of Mr. Jones, must have emigrated to America very soon after the devolution for in 1792 we find him commanding the Fourth Legion under General Wayne in the Campaign against the Indians. He was with Perry in the battle of Lake Erie and was one of the three men for whom the legislature of Pennsylvania ordered silver medals struck for distinguished services in that battle.

This action of the legislature was not known to him, or to his descendants until recently, and the medal has lain unclaimed In the state house at Harrleburg. Mr. Jones as the oldest, male heir, has just filed a claim for It and submitted the necessary proofs of heirship.  Mr. Jones received a good education. He finished the course in the Presbyterian Academy at Loulsburg, attended Bucknell University for a year and a half and then completed a course In the Iron City Business College at Pittsburg. The winter of 1861-2 he taught the Grammar school at East Loulsburg. In the spring of 1862 he moved to Center County, Pa., where his father had purchased a large tract of timber land.  On August 25, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company A, of the 14th Pennsylvania and served until the close of the war. This regiment was commanded by Col. Beaver and saw all kinds of hard fighting. It was at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Brlstow Station, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna Topotomy, Coal Harbor, Petersburg, Strawberry Plains, Deep Bottom, Reams Station and numerous other lesser engagements. The regiment lost twenty-two officers who were either killed outright or died from their wounds and the mortality among the men was so great that it was neceessary to fill up the ranks with recruits five times. Mr. Jones went through all these services with his regiment and was wounded three times. From private he was promoted to fifth corporal then to fifth sergeant and then to be Second Lieutenant of his Company. A couple of months before the close of the war he was transferred to Company C, and made Captain of the company and commanded it until it was mustered out of the service.

After the war Mr. Jones kept books for the lumbering firm of Walden & Jones until 1876. His father going blind Mr. Jones then returned home and took care of him until his death. From 1885 to 1888 he was book keeper for Jesse Scbrack a large lumber dealer of Clinton, County, Pa.

In the spring of 1888 Mr. Jones came to Kansas settling one mile north of Highland. He staid here until the spring of 1890 when he moved onto the farm where he now lives in this county. He Is a Presbyterian, a member of the Hiawatha
Post 130 G. A. R., Hiawatha Lodge

Friday, August 10, 2012

Caroline Barbars Arbogast Bottiger.

The Sabetha Herald.
September 21, 1922. 

Caroline Barbars Arbogast Bottiger

Caroline Barbars Arbogast, was born at Mt. Pleasant Mills, Snyder County, Pennsylvania January 6, 1854, and died at her home in Sabetha Kansas, Thursday September 14, 1922, folling a long Illnes.

She was married to Richard Bottiger on October 1, 1873 at Miffinburg Pennsylvania, to this union were born four children.  One son Paul, dying in infaney the others Mrs. C. Lewis, Mrs. Harry West and R. E. Welch, all of Sabetha, with  Husband survive her.  One sister Mrs. Matt Reardon and their children; Midred Lewis, Lee Myron and Carrie West.

The Bottigers came to Kansas in the Spring of 1884 and settled on a fram Southwest of Sabetha, where they lived for twenty years, moving to Sabetha in 1904, where they have since lived.

History of Nemaha, County
Richard Bottiger.
When Richard Bottiger left his old home in Pennsylvania thirty-two years ago, he was imbued with the idea that Kansas offered better opportunities for gaining a livelihood and amassing a competence than that afforded in his old home State. As the 3'ears passed, this idea became a reality. Mr. Bottiger made a good living from the start, and rose from the status of a comparatively poor man to become a well-to-do citizen. At this day, when he and his faithful helpmeet who has shared his early struggles to get ahead in the world, have every comfort and luxury that money can buy, they look back over the years of hard and unremitting labor on the Kansas plains, take a just pride in their belongings and their beautiful modern home, and feel grateful that they were permitted to take a part in he upbuilding of a great county and State, in the capacity of humble tillers of the soil.

Richard Bottiger was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, in the town of Sunberry, August 15, 1852, and is a son of Isaac and Caroline (Kepler") Bottiger, who were the parents of fourteen children, of  whom Richard is the second in age and birth, and twelve are living Isaac Bottiger was born in Pennsylvania in 1827, and died in 1881. He was a son of Daniel and Katharine Bottiger, the former of whom was a stone mason, and son of a German emigrant who made a settlement in
Pennsylvania. It will thus be seen that Mr. Bottiger comes of the sturdy Pennsylvania German stock, whose industry and proverbial honesty have become noted, the countrv over. The mother of Richard Bottiger was born in Dalton county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Abraham Kepler, a farmer who was a native of Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania. She died in 1914 at the age of eighty-one years.

Richard Bottiger was reared on the parental farm, and when he became able to do a man's work, at the age of twelve years, in the fields, did farm labor for the neighboring farmers at a wage of $3 per month, eventually receiving $13 per month, as he became older and more competent. He rented land in his home county, but the returns seemed so slow and opportunities for advancement looked so meager that he decided to come to the newer country of Kansas. Accordingly, June 8, 1883, he migrated to Nemaha county and bought 160 acres of land in Rock Creek township on a time contract at a cost of $22 an acre. In 1884 he brought his family to the new home and prosperity became his from the start. He tilled his acreage continually with excellent results until his retirement to a home in Sabetha in 1904. In six years' time he was enabled to pay for his first farm, and then added another quarter section to his possessions. In addition to his land holdings, he is a stockholder and director of the Citizens State Bank of Sabetha.

Mr. Bottiger was married in 1873 to Caroline Arbgast, born in Snyder county, Pennsylvania, January 6, 1854, a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Lahr) Arbgast, natives of Pennsylvania. Three children have blessed this happy marriage, namely : Ida, wife of Clayton Lewis, farmer of  Rock Creek township ; Laura, wife of Ira West, farmer of Rock Creek township ; Flossie, wife of Dr. Ralph Welch, practicing dentist of Sabetha.

Mr. Bottiger is a Republican in politics, and served as treasurer of Rock Creek township for five years. He was maj'or of Sabetha for two terms, 1910-1913, inclusive, and during his term of office, the water works S3'stem was installed, and the electric light plant was enlarged and modernized. He is a member and trustee of the Sabetha Methodist Episcopal Church.