Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Neva or Agenda Kansas.

Neva is the name of the town and Agenda the name of the railroad station and postoffice. This town was laid out in 1887. The first building erected on the townsite other than railroad buildings was a store 28x50 feet, built by Joseph Cox in the fall of 1887. This building was rented by Stephen Bradley, who commenced selling goods in No- vember of that year and is still in the business at the same place. Geo. W. Smith built the second store and sold goods for several years.   The grain elevator was built some two years later.The postoffice was kept at the depot for some time, when it was moved to Bradley's store and Bradley appointed postmaster, where it has been ever since, except during the four years of Cleveland's administration, during which time Geo. W. Smith was postmaster.
Agenda, a village of Republic county, is located in the northern part of Elk Creek township, and is a station on the Chicago. Rock Island & Pacific R. R., 17 miles southeast of Belleville, the county seat. The first house in Agenda was erected by Joseph Cox in 1887, soon after the town was laid out. It has a money order postoffice with one rural delivery
route, express and telegraph offices, several general stores and other business establishments, a bank, a grain elevator, and in 1910 reported  a population of 200.
Agenda Postoffice.

Agenda Postoffice open February 11, 1874 ran to September 4, 1883.  Closed then reopen April 19, 1888 and ran to October 3, 1998.
Elk Creek Township, 1884.
Agenda is in section 16, of Elk Creek Township.  Three years before Agenda was laid out the land was owned by the follwing.
C. M. Way, 160 acres.
E. J. McDonald, 160 acres.
Mary L. Spoor, 80 acres.
J. H. Ranney, 80 acres.
A. O. Rcutt, 80 acres.
G. H. Ros-ell?, 80 acres.
Business men who used Agenda as their PO., address as of 1883.
JOHN MOORE, farmer, P. O. Agenda, was born in the Shenandoah Valley, Va., 1836 remaining there until 1873, except what time he served in the army, from 1861 until February, 1862. In 1873, migrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 21, Township 4, Range 1. Was forty miles from market, and there were no improvements in sight, and but few settlers in the township. Has since added 160 acres on Section 28 to his place. This is well watered by Elk Creek, with five or six acres of timber, making a very desirable stock farm. Has sixty acres under the plow on the homestead, good frame house, good granary and stables, and a good orchard of 100 apple and 100 peach trees, grapes and small fruits. Has about twenty acres broke in Section 28, and 100 acres fenced for pasture. Has been working into stock, and has twenty-five head of fine cattle, which he will increase to about twice this number. Has made arrangements to ship some full-blooded Short-horn stock, which he will make a specialty of. Also raises from fifty to 100 head of hogs annually. Has been very successful since his settlement in this State. Was married in 1857 to Miss Julia Estep, of Virginia. They have two children, viz., Charles T. and Sarah A.

Business men who used Agenda as their PO., address as of 1904.
Alexander Boal, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1885.
E. O. Boman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1879.
David Doran, Retired Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1868.
Henry T. Harbaugh, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1878.
John A. Henderson, Farmer and Township Clerk.
Dr. J. H. Houck, Physician, came to county 1884.
W. H. Jones, Farmer, came to county 1872.
C. T. B. Moore, Farmer and Shipper of live stock, came to county 1873.
John Moore, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1877.
Jerry Opocensky, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1879.
George W. Ryman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1886.

No comments: