Saturday, August 11, 2012

Jared I. Jones.

Push to enlarge.
Jared I. Jones is a Pennsylvanlan by birth. He was born In Loulsburg April 30, 1841 and Is the son of John Jones and Elizabeth Cook. The Jones family were Welsh, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, emigrating from that country to Virginia where John Jones was born. On his mother's side Mr. Jones Is descended from Wm. Cook who was a Colonel
In the British Army during the Revolutlon and commanded a regiment under Geu. Wm. Irvine at the battle of the Brandywlne in 1778. His son Capt. John Cook, the grandfather of Mr. Jones, must have emigrated to America very soon after the devolution for in 1792 we find him commanding the Fourth Legion under General Wayne in the Campaign against the Indians. He was with Perry in the battle of Lake Erie and was one of the three men for whom the legislature of Pennsylvania ordered silver medals struck for distinguished services in that battle.

This action of the legislature was not known to him, or to his descendants until recently, and the medal has lain unclaimed In the state house at Harrleburg. Mr. Jones as the oldest, male heir, has just filed a claim for It and submitted the necessary proofs of heirship.  Mr. Jones received a good education. He finished the course in the Presbyterian Academy at Loulsburg, attended Bucknell University for a year and a half and then completed a course In the Iron City Business College at Pittsburg. The winter of 1861-2 he taught the Grammar school at East Loulsburg. In the spring of 1862 he moved to Center County, Pa., where his father had purchased a large tract of timber land.  On August 25, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company A, of the 14th Pennsylvania and served until the close of the war. This regiment was commanded by Col. Beaver and saw all kinds of hard fighting. It was at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Brlstow Station, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna Topotomy, Coal Harbor, Petersburg, Strawberry Plains, Deep Bottom, Reams Station and numerous other lesser engagements. The regiment lost twenty-two officers who were either killed outright or died from their wounds and the mortality among the men was so great that it was neceessary to fill up the ranks with recruits five times. Mr. Jones went through all these services with his regiment and was wounded three times. From private he was promoted to fifth corporal then to fifth sergeant and then to be Second Lieutenant of his Company. A couple of months before the close of the war he was transferred to Company C, and made Captain of the company and commanded it until it was mustered out of the service.

After the war Mr. Jones kept books for the lumbering firm of Walden & Jones until 1876. His father going blind Mr. Jones then returned home and took care of him until his death. From 1885 to 1888 he was book keeper for Jesse Scbrack a large lumber dealer of Clinton, County, Pa.

In the spring of 1888 Mr. Jones came to Kansas settling one mile north of Highland. He staid here until the spring of 1890 when he moved onto the farm where he now lives in this county. He Is a Presbyterian, a member of the Hiawatha
Post 130 G. A. R., Hiawatha Lodge

No comments: