Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hackberry Mill Now Just Hackbeery Kansas.

Hackberry Kansas 1912.

 country postoffice in Gove county, is located on Hackberry creek about 14 miles southeast of Gove, the county seat, and 11 miles south of Quinter, the nearest shipping point. The population in 1910 was 15.

 HACKBERRY--- Previously known as Hackberry Mills. Name changed to Hackberry in 1881. Post office closed in 1888; reopened in 1898; closed again in 1931. (Located in Baker Township)


Originally established as a post office in Wallace County in 1879. Name changed to Hackberry in 1881. (Located in Baker Township)

Polk's Business Directory, 1912.


A country postoffice in Baker Township, Gove County, 18 miles east of Gove, the county seat, and 12 1/2 miles south of Quinter, its nearest banking and shipping point. Mail, tri-weekly, J. M. TUTTLE, postmaster

BLACKWILL, J. O., stock breeder
BONK, Conrad, meats
HARGITT, George T., live stock
PUGH, M. S., live stock
STONE, Z. W., live stock
TUTTLE, J. M., jeweler
History of Hackberry Post Office.
Hackberry Mills, post office open September 4, 1879 and ran to December 23, 1881, moved toHackberry, post office was estableshed in Wallace Couty.
Hackberry post office open December 23, 1881 and ran to July 16, 1888, closed then reopen April 11, 1889 and ran to March 15, 1931.

Gove County--Township Map, 1907.
Hackberry is in Baker Township, on the County map Hackberry will be found in Township 13-south--Range 26 west, Section 30.
This link wii show the Township map

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Garden Plain Kansas.

Garden Plain was a interesting town to research.  Garden Plain, is in Sedgwick county in Garden Plain Township, Section 31  On the county map it would be in Township 27-south and Range 3-west-Section 31.  I found it hard to tell when the town started it seems that there were settlers in the area as early as 1875, as thats when the Postoffice open.  The Postoffice open August 19, 1875 and ran to January 25, 1881.  Then it close then reopen January 1, 1883 and is still open in 1961.
Even though there were settlers in the area you would never know it, the earliest plat map I could find was for 1882.  The Postoffice was not on the County or Township maps.  I have research a lot of Kansas towns and when ever there was a Postoffice whether it was in the township or town it was always shown on the map, but not in this case.  The only other plat map I could find that shows Garden Plain on it was in 1905.  Garden Plain was not plated till 1883, and was incorporated into a town in 1902.
Business men who used Garden Pllain as their P. O., address as of 1883.
SIMEON CLARK, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Garden Plain, was born in Kentucky in 1826, and when a boy removed to Missouri, from whence he soon after went to Greene County, Ill., where he remained two years and then located in Pike County, same State, where he pre-empted a farm, which he cultivated for three years, when, leaving the farm in charge of his mother, he went to Quincy, where, for a period of twenty-two years, he was in the employ of Van Dorn & Co., occupying the position of foreman in their large saw mills, when he left to come to Kansas. Mr. Clark was married in 1850 to Miss Susan Wilson, who died in 1855, leaving one child - James W., now residing in Galesburg, Ill. January 18, 1877, he married his present consort, Miss Mary M. Reed, of Mobile, Ala., who has borne him three children, the only one now surviving being William A. J. Clark, who was born in Quincy, Ill., October 3, 1857, and who now resides with his parents upon the farm. Mr. Clark came to Kansas in September, 1873, and after a residence of eighteen months in Wichita, located upon his present homestead, containing 160 acres, 100 of which are under cultivation, with a good average grain yield. In early life he learned the trade of a carpenter, at which he still continues to work, being assisted in the management of the farm by his youngest son. March 22, 1865, Mr. C. enlisted at Grand Rapids, Mich., and was soon afterwards transferred to Company F, Thirty-eighth Virginia Volunteers, and after a year's active service was discharged at Brazos, Santiago, Texas, his term of service having expired, and received honorable mention from his commanding officer for his excellent soldierly qualities. February 9, 1883, Mrs. Clark was appointed Postmistress, of Garden Plain Office. Mr. Clark and family are among the pioneer settlers of this township, there being but two other families here upon their arrival and only one of whom now resides in the Township. Mr. Clark is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

J. S. PIPKIN, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Garden Plain, was born in Madison County, West Tenn., in 1841, his father, Lewis C. Pipkin, and his mother, Mary E. Pipkin, being natives of that State. Mr. Pipkin is descended from a race of farmers, and from his youth has followed the ancestral vocation. In 1846, he moved to Graves County, Ky., where he continued to reside until his removal to Kansas in 1876, this being his first location, purchasing his farm, which had then been slightly improved, and built his residence the same year, which was destroyed by fire the following year; but, undismayed, he at once rebuilt upon a larger scale, and now has a fine frame residence. In October, 1850, he married Miss Susan C. Dockins, of Tennessee, who has borne him five children, four of whom are now living, viz.: Henry N. (born September 3, 1852), Jonas R. (born January 7, 1855), Mary L. (December 21, 1860), Alice (January 17, 1864). In 1863, the Confederates endeavored to make him join their ranks, which he absolutely refused to do; and although being a strong Union man, was averse to becoming engaged in warfare against his friends and neighbors, and so remained neutral. His farm of 160 acres contains eighty acres under cultivation, with an average yield of wheat sixteen and corn thirty bushels per acre. He has a fine orchard of his own planting, containing 500 peach, 100 apple and a variety of other fruits. He has also 1,500 forest trees, chiefly cottonwood, box elder and mulberry. He has held the office of Treasurer of the township, having been elected in 1881; and has also been a Director of the School Board of his district; and is a member of the A., F & A. M. His farm, which is one of the best cultivated in the township, is situated upon the south side of the Medicine Lodge road, is called Fancy Farm, and by it s appearance of neatness, industry and prosperity at once strikes the eye of the traveler.

    Business men who used Garden Plain as their P. O., address as of 1905.
George Beltz, Farmer and Syock Raiser, came to county 1885.
Joseph Buchholz, Farmer, came to county 1892.
Bernard Cordes, Farmer, came to county 1886.
J. B. Garnett, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1880.
Henry Kerr, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county1887.
John Kersehen, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1880.
John Jr. Kiefner, Drugs, Grain and Real Estate, came to county 1884.
John Leis, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1879.
J. Meredith, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1886.
E. C. Pittenger, Manager W. D. Pond & Co., came to county 1879.
R. E. Shipley, Farmer, came to county 1877.
Henry Speer, Farmer, came to county 1897.
Jacob Stuhlsatz, Farmer, came to county 1890.
B. or R. Webber, Farmer, came to county 1880.

History of Garden Plain as given in 1910.
Garden Plain sprang into being upon the building of the Wickita & Western railroad from Wichita to Kingman.

Its citizenship is made up largely of a thrifty German population, who own fine farms in its vicinity. Garden Plain, situated midway between Cheney and Goddard, on the Santa Fe, Wichita & Western branch, twenty-one miles west of Wichita, is an ideal place to live. The environments are delightful and the climate agreeable. The little city has a population of about 350, and has some of the finest store buildings in the county. It is an old town, having been in existence for over a quarter of a century. The little town has three large and well stocked general merchandise stores, one exceptionally large hardware store, one large drug store, one livery stable, one hotel, one bank, one lumber yard, two elevators, one millinery store, two meat markets, one restaurant, three churches and large and commodious school house, which is practically new. The bank has the largest deposits of any town its size in the state, and is constantly increasing them. The stockholders are all influential farmers and business men of the community and men who have lived there the
greater part of their lives. It is located in a handsome one-story brick building, erected a few years ago, and its officers and directors have been connected with it ever since its organization. The country immediately surrounding Garden Plain is well adapted to the raising of corn, oats, wheat and garden stuff. Wheat being the principal product, it finds a ready market in Wichita, for the elevator is never allowed to fill up. Before that is accomplished the grain is shipped to Eastern markets or to nearby towns. Corn also finds a ready market, and a great quantity of the grain is shipped annually.

Reaching Garden Plain upon the railroad the traveller always sees the familiar figure of Billy Taylor, who is the postmaster and who carries the mail to and from the trains. Among the active business men of Garden Plain may be named, Wulf Bros., Hahn Bros, and Martin Oebel.
History of Garden Plain as given in 1912.

Garden Plain, one of the leading towns of Sedgwick county, is located in the township of the same name and is a station on the Wichita & Pratt division of the Atchison, Topeka & Sante Fe R. R. 30 miles west of Wichita. It has a bank, a money order postdffice with one rural route, telegraph and express offices, telephone connections with the surrounding towns, general stores, hardware and implement houses, and is the shipping point for a rich agricultural district. Garden Plain was incorporated in 1902 and in 1910 reported a population of 296.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Major Levi H. Utt & Private John James.Seventh Kan., Cavalry.

Levi H. Utt.

First Lieutenant, Utt Levi H., residence White Cloud, enlisted Aug. 31, 1861. Promoted Captain October 28, 1861.

Captain, Utt Levi H. residence White Cloud, mustered Oct. 28, 1861 Promoted Major November 17, 1864; wounded in action April 2, 1863, Leighton, Ala. Major, Utt Levi H., residence Leavenworth, mustered Nov. 17, 1864 Mustered out with regiment September 29, 1865.

Captain Utt was one of the most fearless men that I ever saw; when in the greatest hazard he seemed entirely unconscious of danger. He lost a leg at Leighton, Ala., April 2, 1863, while charging a battery with his mounted company; his horse was killed under him. As soon as the stub healed sufficiently, he outfitted himself with a wooden leg and came back to the command of his company. He was promoted major November 17, 1864, which rank he held until finally mustered out with the regiment. Although a young man, the name "old timber-toes" became his familiar appellation.

Side note. Captain Utt's leg was carried away and his horse killed beneath him by a charge of grape. The company was compelled to retreat.

CAPE GIRARDEAU, June 9, 1865.
Major HANNAHS,Acting Assistant Adjutant-General: Major Utt reports that a scout of ten men from Seventh Kansas Cavalry, under command of a sergeant, went to Eleven Points River and killed the notorious Dick Bowles, captured five bushwhackers in arms. Can I relieve Adjutant Fox, post adjutant Pilot Knob?By order of F. M. Malone, lieutenant-colonel commanding:W. L. STAFFORD,

John James.

Private, John James residence Wyanet, Ill., enlisted. Nov 1, 1861, mustered in  Nov. 1,18'61 Re-enlisted Veteran.

Private, John James, residence Wyanet, Ill., enlisted Jan. 1, 1864, mustered in Jan. 1, 1864.  Mustered out with regiment September 29, 1865.

John James Kills Dick Bowles.

John James, a mere boy, a member of company D, killed the guerrilla leader, Dick Bowles, in open fight, the guerrilla having the decided advantage, being -behind a fence with a Winchester, while the boy dismounted under fire and, kneeling in the open road, sent a bullet from his Spencer through the brain of the desperado. Dick Bowles was as conspicuous in his neighborhood as Bill Anderson used to be in his.

John James is now living in Olathe Kansas.  His list known address was 413, South Cherry Street, Olathe Kansas. 

Elk City, Kansas

There are six other towns in Kansas that are called Elk.  One is in Chase County, Elk City in Alontgomery County, Elk Creek in Cloud county, Elk Creek in Osage County, Elk Falls in Elk county and Elk river in Elk County..

Elk City History as given in 1883.
Business men who used Elk City as their P. O., address as of 1881.
A. Burgner, Farmer And Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1869.
John Bertenshaw, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from England, came to county 1873.
J. Lippel, Farmer, Fruit Gro'er and M'fg of Wine, from Germany, came to county 1865.
W. V. Cottingham, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1864.
G. R. Chrisman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Kentucky, came to county 1869.
L. J. Pound, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1870.
J. Castillo, farmer and Stock Raiser, from Kentucky, came to county 1874.
V. N. Ashbaugh, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Missouri, came to county 1869.
John R. Doddon, Farmer ansd Stock Raiser, from Kentucky, came to   county 1875.
C. H. Woodworth, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1871.
Thomas Whistler, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Maryland, came to county 1871.
J. R. Littleton, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Kentucky, came to county 1869.
William H. Coleman, Farmer and Blacksmith, from Ohio, came to county 1971.
S. A. Douglas Brown, School Teacher, from Iowa, came to county 1872.
B. F. Allen, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1871.
Mary A. Jones, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Kentucky, came to county 1866.
Dannel W. Dartt, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1868.
Elk City.
J. J. Bagsley, Druggist, from Canada, came to county 1870.
Samuel Weston, Attorney-at-law, from Maine, came to county 1879.
Fred. E. Turner, Druggist, from Canada, came to county 1869.
J. G. Paine, Merchant, from Maine, came to county 1857.
M. P. Frelign, Liveryman, from Pennsylvania, came to county 1879.
A. R. Quigg, Merchant, from Indiana, came to county 1866.
W. W. Woodring, Physician, from Kentucky, came to county 1869.
John Wright, Furniture Daler, from Canada, came to county 1857
J. Connell, Furniture Daler, from Indiana, came to county 1856.
Rudolph Meyer, Real Estate Owner, from Switzerland, came to county 1870.
D. Welch, Builder, from Kentucky, came to county 1973.
W. D. L. Welch, Builder, from Iowa, came to county 1873.
D. S. Dewitt, Prop. Belmont House, from New Jersey, came to county 1870..
E. J. Wilson Prop. Belmont House, from Ohio, came to county 1877.
R. B. Southard, Physician, from Nortn Carolina, came to county 1871.
Hines Woodring, Grain Dealer, from Kentucky, came to county 1870.
W. N. Certain, Grain Dealer, from Ohio, came to county 1873.
J. H. McVane, Attorney, From New Yor, came to county 1870.


William & Gould, Farmer ans Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1878.
James A. Elliott, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1974.
J. C. McVay, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Fruit Grower, from Ohio, came to county 1870.
John Jones, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Kentucky, came to county 1871.
Nancy J. Paull, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Kentucky, came to county 1870.
Stephen Wilson, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Kentucky, came to county 1872.
W. H. Owen, Farmer and Physician, from Kentucky, came to county 1872.
J. T. Brunton, Farmer and Fruit Grower, from Illinois, came to county 1870.

History Of Elk City, as given in 1912.
Elk City is the oldest town in Montgomery county, being an outgrowth of the trading post established at that point by John Kappel in 1868. A town company was formed the same year and the site located. A. E. Baird put in a stock of general merchandise and in 1870 M. D. Wright, who had brought a stock of notions with him in his prairie schooner opened the third store. A. R. Quigg started a hardware store. The first saw mill was built in 1869 by S. B. Davis, T. J. Brown and Samuel Maples. The first blacksmith shop was built by J. P. Morgan. The first death as well as the first birth was in the Hammond family. In April, 1869, a son was born to Thomas and Bertha Hammond. The child was killed by accident the same month. Thomas Hammond was shot and killed by a man by the name of Morrison in a quarrel over
a plow.
In 1870 the Elk City poi.toffice was established with William H. H. Southard as postmaster. The next year the town was incorporated as a city of the third class. The first election resulted in the choice of the following officers: Mayor, Herbert Prentis ; police judge, James Smith; councilmen, Uri Coy, J. Baldwin. William H. H. Southard, W. W. Woodring and A. R. Quigg.

The first school was taught in a log school house by William Osborne in 1869. The first bank was established by E. E. Turner in 1881. Prior to 1882 three attempts had been made to establish newspapers. A brick yard and a flour mill had been put in operation.

In 1902 a company was organized to prospect for gas, which was found after several failures. Several companies are now operating in the vicinity and a number of fine oil wells, as well as gas wells are producing.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

WarWick Kansas

Warwick Kansas
WarwickKansas, is in Republic County in the Township of Big Bend.  On the count map it can be found at, Range 5-west and Township 1-south in section 5.
Warwick Note.
WARWICK (35.5 miles northwest of Concordia)
Railroaders must have been popular in the early days of this Republic County community which has had two names, both, it is said, those of railroad men. Its first name was Talmage, possibly for A. A. Talmage one of the first chief engineers of the Missouri Pacific. Later, at a date and for reasons unknown, the name was changed to "Warwick," honoring another railroad man whose initials and official position also are unknown.
Warwick Post Office History.
Wilber post office open November 5, 1873 and ran to May 5, 1880, moved to Talmage.
Talmage post office open May 17, 1880 and ran to April 13, 1882, moved from Wilber name changed to Warwick.
Warwick post office open April 13, 1882 ran to October 23, 1882, closed and repoen March 3, 1884 and ran to April 30, 1919.
Warwick Papers.
The Warwick Leader, republican in politics, was published at Warwick by J. H. Price in 1885 or 86.

The Advanced Leader also republican, was published at Warwick in 1888. Peter McHutcheon being editor, publisher and proprietor. This paper like many others did not live to an advanced age.
Business men of Big Bend Township, who used Warwick as their P. O. addresss as of 1884.
James Alderson, Farmer.
Hiram Allen, Farmer.
Henry Beck, Farmer.
William Bateman & Co., Hardware Dealers.
Henry Bateman of Bateman Co.
B. N. Bengiry, Farmer.
H. Beed, Farmer.
J. W. Bending, Farmer.
William Brown, Farmer.
L. C. Campbell, Farmer.
W. A. Campbell, Farmer.
William Cure, Farmer.
George Cure, Farmer.
F. A. Crans, Manager of Howell & Co., Lumber Yard.
O. N. Dundas, Farmer.
Ed Fozee, Barber.
N. M. Forsyth, Farmer.
W. L. Frazee, Farmer.
V. Fischer, Farmer.
William Gordon, Restaurant.
G. P. Grandville, Section Boss.
John Hummell, Farmer.
John Hug, Farmer.
James Hurly, Farmer.
William Hurly, Farmer.
John Hurly, Farmer.
James M. Hurly, Farmer.
J. L. Hart, Farmer.
Jesse Helfer, Farmer.
John Halsted, Farmer.
J. L. Hoyt, Prop. of Hotel.
Howell Bros., Lumber and Coal.
J. Jolley, Farmer.
John Kleim, Farmer.
J. Koch, Liveryman.
Z. Kirby, Farmer.
Jas. H. Lathrop, Minister.
G. M. Langhlin, Farmer.
W. H. Leach, Farmer.
William Landreth, Farmer.
A. P. Lawson, Real Estate Dealer.
Lyons & Christian, Stock Dealers.
M. J. Mitchell, Farmer.
George W. Powell, Stock Raiser.
Thomas H. Powell, Farmer.
George M. Powell, Farmer.
Morgan Powell, Farmer.
A. B. Pechte, Farmer.
H. K. Peckham, Farmer.
Jonathan Peppel, Farmer.
E. Peppinger, Farmer.
S. M. Rickel, Farmer.
R. T. Stanfield, of Stanfield & Laughlin.
Stanfield & Laughlin, Hardware Merchants.
M. J. Stratton & Co., Grain Dealers.
F. E. Thopson, Farmer.
C. A. Thompson, Farmer.
A. Tracy, Brakeman.
J. C. Thomas, Farmer.
W. H. Webber, Farmer.
W. A. Webber, Farmer.
B. T. Tegtes, Farmer.
WarWick Kansas 1912.

Warwick, a village of Republic county, is located in the extreme northwestern corner on the Missouri Pacific R. R., 20 miles northwest of Belleville, the county seat. The 1910 census gave it no inhabitants. It has a postoffice, telegraph and express offices, and is a trading center for the neighborhood.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Coss Kansas.

Coss was like many other Post Office stations through out Kansas. They open and then disappeared within a few years. These post offices came and want so fast that little or no record is found  of them. Coss was one of these post office, Brown County History says nothing about Coss. Coss is in Brown County in Walnut Township. On the county map Coss is shown to be in Township,2-south and Range 15-east section 35. Coss was a few miles South-East of Fairview, which is in section 34. Coss Post Office open on March 9, 1885, and closed it's doors on April 29, 1887.

Here are a few business men who used Coss as their P. O., address as of 1887.
John Jr., Kaserman, Stock and Farming.  Grapes a Specialy, from Switzerland, came to county 1861.
M. Schaible, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Germany, came to county 1874.
J. H. Sr., Vandalsem, Retired Farmer, from Ohio, came to county 1879.
J. H. Jr., Vandalsem, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1879.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Yellow Paint Creek or Paint Creek Kansas.

Many Kansas towns sprung up across the Kansas plains, only to live a few years then to disappear.  Leaving little or no records behind.  Yellow Paint Creek later to be known as Paint Creek was one of these town.  Bourbon County History tells of fights alone the Yellow Paint Creek, but says nothing about the town.  There is no record on why Yellow was droped from the name.  Yellow Paint Creek or just Paint Creek was in Marion Township, Township 26-south and Range 23-east, section 8. 

Paint Creek, was a Post Office seven miles South-East of Uniontown.  The Post Office open August 17, 1874 and ran to December 5, 1877.  The Post Office closed then reopen on December 12, 1877 and ran to February 29, 1884. 

There were a few business men who used Paint creek as their P. O., address, and they are:

Yellow Paint Creek or Paint Creek 1878.
M. D. Watson, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Greens County, Illinois, came to county 1867.
David H. Horning, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Huntingdon County Pennsylvanis, came to county 1858.
Joseph Ruble, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Mifflin County Pennsylvania, came to county 1874.
W. W. Reynolds, Farmer and Stock and Fruit Grower and Dairyman.,from Waldo County Maine, came to county 1867.
David Ruthrauff, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Franklin County, Pennsylvania, came to county 1965.
J. B. bolinger, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Carpenter, from Hunntingdon County Pennsylvania, came to county 1864.

Fay Kansas

Business men who used Fay as their P. O., Address as of 1901.
Jacob Allinger, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
Otto Jennrich, Farmer and Stock Raiser. 
C. H. Kellogg, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Proprietor of Artesia Ranch.
Fay Post Office
Fay post office open September 20, 1883 and ran to December 31, 1908.
Fay Kansas 1912.

Fay, a small settlement of Paradise township, Russell county, is located in the Solomon valley, about 10 miles northwest of Russell, the county seat, from which place mail is received by rural carrier

Monday, September 24, 2012

Eagle And Lasswell Kansas

Eagle Kansas 1912.

Eagle, a small settlement of Elwood township. Barber county, is situated in the forks of Little Mule creek, about 12 miles southwest of Medicine Lodge, the county seat, and most convenient railroad station. The people receive mail by rural delivery from Lasswell.

Eagle Post Office.

Esgle post office open May 13, 1890 and ran to September 30, 1908.
Business men who used Eagle as their P. O. address as of 1905.
Z. P. Ball, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1901.
J. W. Statler, Farmer and Stock Raisre, came to county 1885.
Lasswell Kansas 1912.
Lasswell, a hamlet in Barber county, is located in Eagle township 12 miles southwest of Medicine Lodge, the county seat and nearest shipping point. It has a general store and blacksmith shop, and a money order postoffice. The population, according to the census of 1910, was 25.
Business men who used Lasswell as their P. O. address as of 1923.
Elmer Angell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, born in the county 1893.
Will Angell, Farmer and Breeder of Essxes Hogs, came to county 1887.
Lasswell Post office.
Lasswell post office open May 20. 1905 and ran to April 30, 1931.
Authors note.  Those of you who would like to look them up on a County Map-TownShip map, there some things you need to know.  First both towns are in Eagle Township, T. 33-South and R. 13-West, the township lines have changed.  On the County and Township map of 1905, Eagle is shown but Lasswell is not.  On the County and Township map of 1923, Lasswell is shown but Eagle is not.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Corning Kansas.

Business men who used Corning as their P. O., address as of 1887.

Josepn Brooks, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Canada, came to county 1884.
R. H. Bowron, Livery, Feed & Sale Atable, from Wisconsin, came to county 1884.
L. John Baker, General Merchandise, from Pennsylvania, came to county 1879.
George Carter, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from England, came to county 1881.
J. W. Derero, Blacksmith and Wagon Work, from England, came to county 1880.
John B. Dam, farmer and Stock Raiser, from Denmark, came to county 1879.
B. C. Dickinson, Farming, from Michidan, came to county 1886.
Henry Earl, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Canada, came to county 1871.
Charles Furst, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Germany, came to county 1880.
D. Foster, Farmer and Stock Raiser from Indiana, came to county 1877.
W. E. Geer, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1884.
S. A. Goldsmith, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1879.
A. L. Holsapple, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Virginia, came to county 1880.
George R. Hunt, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Michigan, came to county 1881.
Ole Johnson, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Denmark, came to county 1880.
G. H. Johnson, Drugs and Groceries, from New York, came to county 1879.
N. H. Loomis, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1879.
C. A. McCollom, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Canada, came to county 11871.
Charles L. Payne, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1882.
J. L. Payne, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1882.
D. Peck, Blacksmith, from New York, came to county 1878.
George Tineklin, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from England, came to county 1878.
J. W. Vernon, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1877.
Mrs. J. C. Warringt'n, Prop., City Hotel, from Massachusetts, came to county 1880.
Fred Warrenburgh, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1878.
A. B. Wells, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Pennsylvania 1857.
What is now known as Old Corning, was situated one and one-half miles west of the present town of the same name. It was established as a Post-office in 1867, wit Dr. N. B. McKay as postmaster, and named in honor of Erastus Corning, of New York. N. B. McKay at tis time opened a general stock of merchandise, in a small frame building which he erected; and another store was soon after opened by W. H. Dixon, the two business houses, with one or two dwellings, being all there was of the place.
The present town of Corning is located on the Central Branch of the Union Pacific, about half way between Centralia and Wetmore. Its site was originally school land, bid in by Dr. N. B. McKay, who gave one-half section to the railroad in 1870, in consideration of its locating a station at that point. The first building was the store of Dr. N. B. McKay, removed from its former site; the second, a dwelling erected by J. S. Henry. Dr. McKay then built a small frame hotel, which he conducted for a year or two, since which time it has passed through various hands, its latest proprietor being T. J. Peters. In 1874 another store building, now occupied by M. T. Baker & Co., was erected by McKay, and during the few succeeding years, quite a number of dwelling houses and store buildings have been added to the settlement, the most of them being moved in from the surrounding farms and cross-roads.
The first religious exercises held in the new town, were conducted by Rev. J. S. Henry, a Baptist minister, who for a number of years preached the word of God to all sects; there being no attempt made by other denominations to institute services. No Baptist organization, however, was affected.
A Methodist Episcopal Society was organized in 1878, the schoolhouse being used as a place of worship. The original membership was twenty-six, the first minister, Rev. J. Biddison who retained the pastorate, in connection with other duties, until 1880. In the fall of 1879, a frame church edifice was erected, at a cost of $700. Succeeding Rev. J. Biddison, Rev. J. A. Amos and Rev. C. Holman have successively assumed the pastoral relation. The membership in 1882 is about seventy, and the church is in a fairly prosperous condition.
A Presbyterian Society was instituted in 1878, through the efforts of Rev. J. Todd, who retains the incumbency he assumed. The congregation make occasional use of the Methodist building.
In 1872 a small district schoolhouse was built, replaced by a larger one, at an expense of $800, in the fall of 1878. The first teacher was Minnie Bracken, the present one, N. H. Walters, who instructs a daily average of sixty pupils.
The first postmaster was Dr. N. B. McKay, appointed in 1870; succeeding him, the position has been filled successively by Thomas McKay, H. W. Hazen, Edward C. Dennett, Jacob Stiger and G. H. Johnson, the last named being the present incumbent.
Corning, in 1882, has two general stores, two grocery stores, one hardware, and one drug store; one hotel, one lumber yard, and various minor business industries. Its population is about one hundred.

Corning Kansas 1912.

Corning, an incorporated town of Nemaha county, is located on the Missouri Pacific R. R. about half way between Centralia and Wetmore, in Illinois township, 14 miles south of Seneca. It has a bank, a weekly newspaper (the Gazette), telegraph and express offices, and a money order postoffice with two rural routes. The population in 1910 was 441.
Old Corning was settled in 1867, about a mile and a half west of the present site. A postofiice was established in that year, with N. B. McKay as postmaster, and the place was named for Erastus Corning of New York. Two stores and two dwellings were all there was to the town when it was moved to the railroad by McKa3^ who bid in some school land and gave the railroad company half a section in consideration of its locating a station at this point. The first school was taught
by Minnie Bracken in a small frame building in 1872.

History of Corning Kansas as stated in 1916.

Each town has its peculiarities and specialties. Seneca is famous for its social gaieties, its entertainments for the young, amateur theatricals, fine band. Community church and fine baseball team. Sabetha points with pride to its modern business buildings, musical organizations and municipally owned public works.

So Corning is designated as the town of solid foundation of Nemaha county. At the time this history was written a neighboring newspaper, the Troy "Chief," was running a sixty years ago column. A timely quotation from this column was to the effect that "Nemaha county is making a large and desirable accession to her population. A company from the vicinity of Galesburg, Ill., has recently located an entire township of land in that county, every quarter section of which is to be speedily enclosed and occupied by a settler. They also contemplate laying off a town. That is the way to come. Take up land by the township and cultivate it and speculators will find their occupation gone."

The man who brought this delegation from Galesburg, Ill., was Dr. N.. B. McKay, a practicing physician of the Illinois city. Dr. McKay and two other men came to Nemaha county to locate a site for a colony. This is the expedition referred to in the quotation above. The result was the Home Association which was established in June, 1858, and became a noted organization which had nothing to blush for in their accomplishments, more than can be said for many early day similar organizations. The settlers were given their quarter sections of land and the village established was America City, which has grown but little from that day to this. But Dr. McKay, not content with establishing happy settlers on fine land and starting one village, must needs build another, which is a more lasting monument to his genius, in numbers at least. Before Dr. McKay left New York for Illinois, he was in partnership with Erasmus Corning. Dr. McKay named his second town in the county of the "No Papoose" in honor of Mr. Corning. He did not desert America City, however, for the newer and more prosperous town. For years Dr. McKay remained the beloved country doctor of America City, filling in spare moments as postmaster of the town.

Corning was established as a postoffice in 1867 with Dr. McKay, at the helm, or grated window rather. A small frame building was erected and a line of merchandise installed. Later W. H. Dixon erected another building and started a second store. This was about all there was to the original Corning. When the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific railroad was extended through Nemaha county. Corning too, had to move to the railroad. Dr. McKay owned school land, one half of
which he gave to the railway company for locating a station thereon. So in 1870 Dr. McKay moved his store from the Old Corning to the new site and the thriving town was the third to be started by the enterprising M. D. J. S. Henry built the first dwelling in the new town. Dr. McKay built a frame hotel which he conducted for two or three years and which has passed through various hands. Three years later another building was erected, and sundry buildings were added from time to time which were largely moved into the settlement from neighboring settlements anxious to be near the railroad, or from farms. As the eighties advanced. Corning progressed and acquired a fine line of citizens, most of them being men of brains and genius and a few blue blooded aristocrats, whose lines extended back to the English nobility

Jacob Jacobia was one of the early day Corning men who helped to build up the communitj' and strengthen it. His life was one of activity and interest. He settled in America City in 1857, and was one of the original pioneers of the county. He was mail carrier from Atchison to Louisville in Pottawatomie count}- and through his own district for years. Then he freighted across the plains to Denver with his own train. Mr. Jacobia's stories of those days were always thrilling. Once,
he said, he encountered a herd of buffalo, which covered the country in a solid mass so the ground was invisible for thirty miles. Once his train was attacked by the Indians, and 100 men, 300 head of cattle and fifty teams were corralled. Finally the men managed to collect under the leadership of Captain Jacobia, surprised their captors in a night attack and made their. escape. Mr. Jacobia bought the Corning Hotel, where he was for several years the entertaining host to the increasing trade Corning was drawing. He was the father of "Billy" Jacobia, who for several years was the banker of Corning, as well as mayor of the town, while his wife was bank cashier and town treasurer. Billy Jacobia's death by suicide, after they removed to Kansas City in 1905, was one of the rare tragedies that have shocked the county.

The first school of Corning was especially distinguished. It was not simply started in any old room but a building was erected for the sole purpose. It is doubtful if many pioneer villages can make this boast. In 1872 a small district school house was erected, with Miss Minnie Bracken as the teacher. Six years later $800 was expended to improve the school house and N. H. Walters, who was in charge, had six-ty pupils beneath his watchful and experienced eye. Mr. Walters was a teacher of twentj' years' experience before he came to Kansas. For over ten years directly following he was head of the Corning school. Now there are over 200 pupils enrolled in Coming's graded school. The school is divided into primary, intermediate, grammar and high school departments, with F. J. Whittaker at the head as superintendent. Miss Etta Burdette as principal, \\'illiam Newlove in the grammar department.Miss Edna Baldwin, the intermediate, and ]\Iiss Sybil Robinson, primary teacher. Corning has a splendid high school with the full course. The building cost over $8,000 and has been standing over twenty years, giving satisfactory service. It was built to endure. Some one with rare
perspicacity must have planned the building, for its lighting is remarkable for that period of architecture. The windows alone comprise most of the frame work. Four and five windows are connected on one wall space, a method that is ordinarily followed toda}', but twenty years ago was neglected.

A resident of Corning who has done much for its furtherance should be mentioned, although his health is keeping him now in San Diego. Dr. Isaac Magill was one of Nemaha county's first born citizens. He grew up on the farm of his father, Samuel Magill, in the Capioma neighborhood, one of the first farms preempted in Nemaha county. Dr. Magill still votes in Corning. He owned the telephone company there and erected the attractive building which is its home. He always promoted baseball and all other healthful sports, and was invariably depended upon to push every movement for the good of the town, ^\'hen Dr. Alagill was mayor of Corning he ding-donged at his fellow citizens until every board or worthless, brick sidewalk was removed and cement walks put in their places. Corning considers her cement walks a monument to Dr. Magill. A memorial to O. W Ort, E. S. Vernon and V. Broadbent, other progressive citizens, Corning states, is the sidewalk laid from the city to the cemetery. The new electric lights Corning regards as a monument in her present mayor, C. L. Payne.

Corning has still another distinction. It is tlie highest point in Nemaha county.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Caney Kansas

Caney is in Montgomery County in the Township of Caney in section 12., on the county map it would be Township 35-S Range 13-E.

Post Office.
Caney Post Office open May 16, 1870 and ran to?.
Business men of Caney as of 1881.
John G. Riley, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1876.
A. M. Taylor, Physician and Surgeon, from Maine, came to county 1870.
David Howard, Farmer and Blacksmith, from New Yory, came to county 1870.
J. Jordan, Blacksmith, from Ohio, came to county 1873.
Caney Township Biographical Sketches, 1883.
Caney Kansas as stated in 1912.
Caney, one of the four important towns of Montgomery county, is located near the Oklahoma line at the junction of the Missouri Pacific and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas R. R., 20 miles southwest of Independence, the county seat. It is in the gas belt and has grown very rapidly, especially in the past ten years, during which time it has trebled its population. It has a good system of waterworks and an efficient fire department. The combined output of the gas wells in the vicinity
is 175,000,000 cubic feet per day. The largest oil tank farm in the state is located near here. It covers 800 acres. The manufacturing interests in Caney include 2 large glass factories, a brick and tile works, a large zinc smelter and an oil refinery. There are 2 banks, an ice and cold storage plant, 3 public school buildings, a public library, 2 weekly news-
papers (the Chronicle and the News), telegraph and express offices and an international money order postoffice with one rural route. The town was incorporated in 1905. About this time it received extensive advertising throughout the whole nation on account of a gas well which took fire and burned furiously for several months. Tourists, many of whom
were from distant states, flooded the town to view the immense flames, the roaring of which could be heard for miles. According to the census of 1910 the population of Caney was 3,597.
Small land owners of Caney Township, And Map 1916.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Military Camps Of Kansas.

Camp Alert (See Fort Larned.)

Camp Bateman, a temporary military encampment, was established in Oct., 1857, by Lieut.-Col. George Andrews, of the Sixth United States infantry, with a detachment of his regiment. The camp was located at a place called Cincinnati, not far from Fort Leavenworth, and was occupied until May 8, 1858, when it was abandoned.

Camp Beecher. Hamersly's "Armj- and Navy Register" says this camp was "on the Little Arkansas river a short distance from its mouth, where it joins the Arkansas river, about one mile from Wichita." The camp was established in June, 1868, on or near the site where J. R. Mead founded his trading post in the fall of 1863, and was at first called Camp Davidson. In Oct., 1868, the name was changed to Camp Butterfield. and the following month to Camp Beecher. It was abandoned as a military camp in Oct., 1869.

Camp Butterfield.  (See Camp Beecher.)

Camp Davidson.  (See Camp Beecher.)

Camp Leedy, a temporary military encampment at Topeka, was established as a mobilizing point for Kansas troops at the time of the Spanish-American war (q. v.), and was named for John W. Leedy, at that time governor of the state. It was located about half a mile south of the state-house, on what was known as the "Douthitt tract," not far from the fair grounds.

Camp MacKay. (See Fort Atchison.)

Camp Magruder, near Fort Leavenworth, was a sort of stopping place for recruits en route to L'tah in July and August, i860, under command of Lieut. -Col. George B. Crittenden of the mounted riflemen. No permanent fortifications nor quarters were ever erected on the site.

Camp Supply, In the fall of 1868, at the time of the Black Kettle raid. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, whose headquarters were at Fort Hays, ordered Gen. George A. Custer to locate a camp at some convenient point in the Indian Territory. Custer selected the rising ground between W'olf and Beaver creeks, about a mile and a half above where they unite to form the north fork of the Canadian river, in what is now the north-west corner of Woodward county, Okla., and here on Nov. 18 he established Camp Supply. Although some 30 miles south of the southern boundary of Kansas, it is intimately connected with the state's military history, as the Nineteenth Kansas reached this post on Nov. 28, 1868, after a trying march of fourteen days from Camp Beecher, the wagon train belonging to the regiment not arriving until the afternoon of Dec. I. After the Indians were compelled to make terms, they received rations at Camp Supply.

Camp Thompson.On April 29, 1858, Lieut.-Col. George Andrews of ^he Sixth United States infantry established a camp near Forf Leavenworth and nametl it Camp Thompson. It was not intended for more than temporary uccupany. and was abandoned on May 7, 1858, less than ten days after it was established.

Fort Laraed.

Fort Larned In the fall of 1859 Capt. George H. Steuart, command- ing Company K, First United States cavalry, was sent out with his company to establish a mail escort station on the line of the Santa Fe trail. On Oct. 22 he selected a site on the south bank of Pawnee Fork, 8 miles from the mouth, and his camp was known as "Camp on Pawnee Fork" until Feb.1, 1860, when it was named "Camp Alert." On May 29, i860, pursuant to General Order No. 14, the post was named Fort Larned, in honor of Col. B. F. Larned, at that time paymaster- general of the United States army. The reservation included a tract of land four miles square, but the extent was not officially declared until the issuing of General Order No. 22, from the headquarters of the Department of Missouri, dated Nov. 25, 1867. The first buildings were of adobe, but in 1867, when the reservation was officially estab- lished, sandstone buildings were erected. In the early part of 1870 frame additions to the subalterns' quarters were built, and further im- provements were made in 1872, when the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad was completed to the fort. The agency for the Arapahoe and Cheyenne Indians was maintained at Fort Larned for several years, but it was discontinued in 1868. Late in the '70s it became apparent that the necessity for a military post at this place no longer existed, and in Jan., 1880. Senator Plumb, from the committee on military affairs, recommended the passage of a bill to provide for the sale of the reservation to actual settlers. The bill did not pass at that time, but by the act of Congress, approved Aug. 4, 1882. the secretary of war was directed "to relinquish and turn over to the department of the interior, to the public domain, the Fort Larned reservation, to be sold to actual settlers at the appraised price, not more than a quarter-section to any one purchaser."

Fort Atchison.

Fort Atkinson, one of the early military posts erected along the line of the Santa Fe trail, was located on the Arkansas river, about 26 miles below "The Crossing." The place known as "The Crossing" was not far from the present town of Cimarron, the county seat of Gray county, hence the location of Fort Atkinson was in what is now Ford county, some 6 or 8 miles up the river from Dodge City. On Aug. 8, 1850, Col. E. V. Sumner established "Camp Mackay" on the site, after a "treaty talk" had been held there with the Indians. Col. Sumner notified the war department on Sept. 10. 1850, that the spot was a suitable location for a permanent post. It was approved by General Order No. 44. dated Dec. 16, 1850, and Maj. HofTman, with Company D, Sixth United States infantry, was ordered to begin the erection of the fort as soon as the weather will permit." The fort was built of sod, covered with poles, brush, sod and canvas, and when completed was garrisoned by a detachment of the Sixth infantry commanded by Capt. Buckner.  The post continued to be known as Camp Mackay until June 25, 1851, when the name was changed to Fort Atkinson. The soldiers quartered there gave it the name of "Fort Sod," and later "Fort Sodom," the latter no doubt having been inspired by the unsanitary conditions of the place and the fact that it was infested with vermin. While it was occupied by Capt. Buckner and his men, the fort was besieged by a large body of Comanches and Kiowas, who surrounded the fort and endeavored to cut off supplies. The garrison was relieved by the timely arrival of Maj. Chilton with a detachment of the First dragoons. Fort Atkinson was occupied by garrison until Sept. 22, 1853, when it was abandoned. It was temporarily reoccupied in June, 1854, by Companies F and H of the Sixth infantry, but on Oct. 2, 1854, the post was abandoned and the buildings destroyed to prevent their occupancy by the Indians. On Aug. 4, 1855, a postofifice was established at Fort Atkinson, with Pitcairn Morrison as postmaster, but it was discontinued on June 5, 1857.

Walnut Hill Kansas.

Walnut Hill Kansas 1867.
Walnut Hill is situated quite centrally in Bourbon county, elven miles west of Fort Scott the County Seat, in a beautiful prairie county.  The place is small however, and does not contain more than a population of 80.
Business men of Walnut Hill, 1867.
J. G. Eastwood, Saddler.
J. M. Eastwood, Blacksmith.
J. C. Parker, Carpenter,
Nelson A. Reber, Post Master.
Walnut Hill Post Office.
Walnut Hill post office open March 27, 1863 and ran to January 5, 1875.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Xenia Kansas.

Xenia Kansas 1867.
Xenia is a village in the north-west part of Bourbon county near the Little Osage river, and 15 miles north-west of Fort Scott, the County Seat, a good location and desirable place to settlement.  Population 160.

Business men who used Xenia as their P. O., address as of 1878.

A. Wilson, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Columbus Ohio, came to counth 1867.

Moses Whitcomb, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Adams County Illinois, came to county 1866.

A. D. Stevenson, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Green County, Ohio, came to county 1872.

L. S. Osborn, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Bates County, Missouri, came to county 1854.

C. W. Libby, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Cumberland County Maine, came to county 1868.

Amos Bortzfield, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Lancaster County Pa., came to county 1878.

I. J. Porter, Post Master, from Franklin County Ohio, came to county 1868.

A. M. Atkisson, Blacksmith, from Hawkins County Tenn., came to county 1856.

Allen Stewart, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1850.

A. J. Pitcher, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Crawford County Pa., came to county 1868.

T. M. Willett,Farmer and Minister, from McNairy County Tenn., came to county 1860.

J. A. Willett, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from McNairt County Tenn., came to county 1860.

S. O. Markham, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Catarugus Tenn., came to county 1859.

Charles Love, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Morgan County Ohio, came to county 1859.

D. Reagan, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ireland, came to county 1858.

Patrick Reagan, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ireland, came to county 1858.

D. W. Buell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Dekalb County, Illinois, came to county 1866.

Walter Stafford, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from England, came to county 1866.

Levi Alsop, Farmer and Minister, from England, came to county 1856.

J. M. Cubbison, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Guernsey County Ohio, came to county 1859.

A. Holemen, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Warren county Illinois, came to county 1865.

G. Entzminger, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Dealer, from Germany, came to county 1870.

Israel Camp, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Oranger County Vermont, came to county 1866.

J. M. Davis, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Dealer, from Mercer County Pa., came to county 1866.

Charles Murrow, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Sealer, from Park County, Indiana, came to county 1859.

Pensioners list of 1883, town of Xenia.

27,161 Lucas, Elizabeth Xenia widow 1812 $8.00 Sept., 1879
79,870 Spurgeon, Alexander Xenia wd. lt. forearm $18.00
187,911 Morris, Julia b. Xenia mother $8.00 Apr., 1880
34,997 Mylins, Lewis H. Xenia g. s. w. rt. shoulder $8.00
  41,708 Moyer, Peter Xenia dis. eyes $8.00 May, 1865
94,012 Stevenson, Elizabeth Xenia widow $20.00
133,990 Pearson, Jeremiah Xenia g. s. w. lt. arm $4.00 June, 1875
206,203 Orr, David Xenia g. s. w. lt. forearm $2.00 Apr., 1882
104,482 Sigler, Wm. Xenia g. s. w. lt. thigh and ankle $6.00
84,432 Williams, Amaziah Xenia wd. lt. thigh $8.00
88,813 Richey, James R. Xenia g. s. w. stomach $18.00
  32,764 Campbell, Cynthia Xenia widow 1812 $8.00 Dec., 1882
179,324 Hawkins, David Xenia g. s. w. back $1.00 Dec., 1880
201,833 Gillham, Wm. Xenia sabre wd. rt. hand $4.00 Jan., 1882
Xenia Kansas 1912.

Xenia, a post village of Bourbon county, is situated in the northwestern portion on the little Osage river, about 20 miles northwest of Fort Scott, the county seat. It has a money order postoffice and in 1910  had a population of 115.

Waveland Kansas.

Waveland Kansas 1867.
Waveland is a Post Office in Shawnee county, not far from Topeka.
Business men of Waveland 1867.
T. G. Clark, Nursery.
Robert Todd, Post master.
Waveland Post office open June 23, 1862 and ran to November 10, 1900.
Waveland Kansas 1873.
Waveland is in Shawnee County, Williamsport Township, Waveland is in section 34., the land owners of that section were.
J. Young.
W. Young, Waveland sat on his land.
E. H. Hall.
J. Belxer.
E. L. Bowhay.
 Waveland Kansas 1912.

Waveland, a country hamlet in Shawnee county, is located 14 miles southwest of Topeka, the county seat, and 4 miles west of Wakarusa. the postoffice from which it recei\es mail. The population in 1910 was 31.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Towanda Kansas.

Main Street of Towanda.
Date not stated.
Push to enlarge.
Towando Kansas, 1867.

Towanda is the name of a small place in Otoe County, about 138 miles west of the Missouri and 58 miles , south of Solomon's fork of the Kansas river, and 105 miles souyh-west of Topeka.  Population 80.
Business men of Towanda, 1867.
Samuel Fulton, Post Master
Gookins, Indian Agent.
Jack Lawton, Indian Agent.
James Mead, General Store
Otoe County becomes Bulter Couny.
Otoe became a County in February 16, 1860.  In 1864, Butler county enlarged its boundaries and all the territory within Otoe  County became part of Butler, and Otoe County was no more.
Towanda Kansas as stated in 1883.

Towanda is a live little town of seventy-five inhabitants, located on the Whitewater, about eight miles west of El Dorado. It was laid out in June, 1870, by Rev. Isaac Mooney. The town consisted of eight blocks of twelve lots each. Streets were sixty-six feet wide except Main street, which was 100. The first house on the town site was erected by G. W. Baker, and used as a store. During 1871 Mr. Mooney built a large hotel and barn, and the other settlers put up residences. A fine schoolhouse was put up this year at a cost of $1,500. Since the building of the St. Louis, Ft. Scott & Wichita Railway, the town has grown rapidly, and bids fair to attain considerable size.  

Business men who used Towanda as their P.O., addreess as of 1905.

A. J. Bayles, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1875.
M. Braley, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1873.
Patrick Culhane, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1878.
J. A. Elrick, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1902.
H. T. Foskett, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1871.
Dr. S. S. Gross, Physician, came to county 1899.
I. Hammond, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1871.
E. E. Hanes, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1885.
Hess Bros, Livery Feed and Sale Stables, came to county 1894.
E. H. Horton, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1876
J. H. McCulloeh, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1902.
John Manor, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1879.
Fred Manor, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1871.
Walter Mooney, Post Master, came to county 1870.
G. H. Morrow, Meat Mareket, came to county 1886.
D. Jr., Moster, Farmer and Dairyman, came to county 1868.
Miles Mosier, Farmer and Breeder of Norman Horses, came to county 1868.
Jas. T. Nye, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1870.
George Phillips, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1872.
A. J. Ralston, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1868.
R. J. Ratts, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1876.
J. C. Robison, Breeder of Percheron Horses, came to county 1884.
W. B. Royer, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1870.
C. F. Shriver, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1871.
A. J. Shumway, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1890.
T. C. Sortor, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1881.
Joseph Sparks, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1896.
P. M. Stansbury, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1882.
F. C. Symons, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1872.
M. A. Wait, Farmer and Stock Raiser, came to county 1872

Towando Kansas 1912.
Towanda, an incorporated city of the third class in Butler county, is located in the township of the same name on the Missouri Pacific R. R., 8 miles west of Eldorado, the county seat. It has a weekly newspaper (the News), a number of retail establishments, express and telegraph offices, and a money order postoffice with two rural routes. The population in 1910 was 275. There is a stone quarr}' and a number of live stock farms in the vicinit)'. It is the receiving and shipping point for a large agricultural area.
Towanda Kansas as stated in 1916.
NoteThere will be some miss spelling.
Situated nine miles west and south of El Dorado, on a slightly elevated tract overlooking the AVhitewater river, is Towanda, an incorporated town. It can be truthfully said that it is one of the best trading points, one of the nicest little towns, and has some of the most enterprising citizens to be found in Butler county or in Kansas.

In 1870 Rev. Isaac Alooney had surveyed and laid out in town lots, ten acres of what is now the southwest corner of Towanda and thereby became the father of the present bustling little village. Before this date J. B. Alead had established a trading post in the W'^hitewater valley about a quarter of a mile w^est of the present town site. At that time Towanda was what might be called the trade center for the country within twent}- miles, and stirring indeed were the doings of the old trading post of long ago. It was at that time the division point for two stage lines running over the western plain with headquarters at Emporia and Humboldt. It was also the camping ground for government trains and immigrant w^agons on account of the beautiful spring bubbling out of the hill on the west side of town.

The first store building erected on the present town site of Towanda was built by G. AV. Baker, in 1871, upon a lot south of the present M. E. church. The lot was given Baker by Isaac Moone};, who was engaged in the same business, as Baker expected to enter in the log house shown elsewhere in this work. The only instance on record where one man furnished another with means of entering into competition with the donor.

The next building was by L. Viets, father of C. L. Viets, of Wichita, and Allie Viets, of Augusta. He afterward sold his stock of goods to William McDowell and moved the building to Augusta. Then came R. S. Miller and J. H. Dickey, handling hardware and drugs, followed b}^ II. Taylor & Son, general merchandise; J. M. Reed, A. Aikman, G. W. Stewart, blacksmiths and woodworkers, and many others.

Good business buildings have been erected in the past few years. In the residence section wonderful improvement has been made, new houses erected and a general prosperity seems to have taken the town. There is a full two-story building built by the Masons of Towanda. They occupy the upper story for a lodge room, which is nicely furnished 'for the purpose. The lower story is occupied by Shriver & Glass with a large stock of hardware and implmenets, buggies and wagons, etc. G. W. Moore is the owner and editor of The Towanda News, a newsy home paper. The Knights of Pythias hall is a good
brick building, the first floor of wdiich is used for a storeroom and the second for a lodge room. It is owned by the order. The State Bank of Towanda, F. W. Robinson, cashier, and J. C. Kullman, president, is one of the solid institutions of the coun^^^^ and is doing a thriving Imsiness. J. C. Kullman, C. B. Sewart and L. C. Hill, general merchandise, and many other lines of business are represented, and all are prosperous.

Towanda township has about ten miles of the Missouri Pacific railway system, a good depot and shipping facilities. More fine draft horses, Holstein cows and other live stock are loaded and unloaded at this station for the Robinsons, Bishops, Girards and than any other point in the county. Wichita, a town of some note, lies about twenty-five miles south of Towanda. Towanda has always been a Good trading- point. It grew slowly. Once it received votes for the county seat. Its early social life was of that limited sort peculiar to people coming together from almost every point of the compass. The first school, the first church organization and other firsts are like unto the beginnings of all new countries. Rev. Isaac Mooney began preaching on his arrival at his new home and kept it up steadily until his death. He bought the splendid valley west of the village from Mead, filed on the one hiuidred and sixty acres east of it as his homtestead, donated the cem.etery, platted the town, and gave away lots in encouragement of new comers. He has been fruitful in good works and faithful in every relation

From the camping place of the Indian and from a trading post, Towanda has grown to a tidy little village. In 1892 it was largely razed by a c}clone. but its people built it anew and better than before. It lias two substantial churches; some fine and several substantial resi- dences and many comfortable cottages. It is surrounded by a neat, beautiful and most fertile country. It has a fine brick school building with four departments, is one of the high schools in the county. The Masonic lodge. No. 30, shows it to be one of the very oldest in the State; the G. A. R. and its auxiliary, the \A'. R. C, are represented. Towanda citizens have been active and prominent in county affairs. Hon. Isaac Mooney and his son, V. P. Mooney, Andy Swigett. M. D. Ellis and S. C. Fulton and R. B. Ralston and M. A. Wait have been called to official positions and performed their duties with fidelity and zeal.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Springdale Kansas.

Springdale Kansas 1867.
A place of considerable importance in the county of Leavenworth, having four generat merchants two Blacksmith, two Wagon Makers, one Physician.  One Druggist, and two Carpenters.  A pleasant situation and good place for settlement has a popualation of 240.  John A. Clayton Post Master.
Springdale Business men of 1867.
J. Babb, Carpenter.
J. A. Clayton, Carpenter and Post Master.
Clatton & Bro., Druggist.
W. B. Gibson, Physician.
R. J. Jeffries, General Store.
A. C. Martin, General Store.
S. Reynolds, Blacksmith.
J. Robinson, Wagon Marer.
F. L. McClintock, Wagon Maker.
O. S. Streeter, General Store.
F. Trewergy, Blacksmith.
S. B. Walker, General Store.
Springdale Post office open September 24, 1860 ran to March 15, 1907.
Springdale is in Alexandria Township, county of  Leavenworth.
Business men of Springdale 1878.
B. C. Baker, Lives in city, Farmer, from Indiana, came to county 1868.
S. D. Reynolds, Farmer, from Canada, came to county 1866.
John Schenck, Lives in City, Farmer, Minister and J. P. from Ohio, came to county 1876.
Springdale Kansas 1912.

Springdale, a hamlet in the western part of Leavenworth county, is about 5 miles south of Easton, from which it has rural free delivery, and 3 miles north of Ackerland, the nearest railroad station.

Springdale History as stated in 1921.

The city of Springdale was platted and surveyed in 1860 by Hiram Rees and Eli Morris. It is located in the center of Alex- ander Township and about sixteen miles west of the city of Leavenworth. It has no railroad connections. John Wright was reputed to have been the first settler in the township, coming there in 1854. A postoffice was established there in 1860 and P. F. Walker was appointed the first post- master. In those days the mail was hauled overland by stage on the Fort Riley Road, Springdale getting its mail from the station at Easton, and Easton in turn getting its mail from Leavenworth, where it was brought by steamboat. The township of Alexandria, in which Spring- dale is located, was settled to a large extent by the Friends' Society. They built a church and schoolhouse there at an early date. Among the earliest industries of the little village was a sawmill operated by Henry Ready and a grist mill operated by Thomas Ashby. Among the earliest settlers of the village and community were the following: Robert E. Courtney, Garrett V. Keller, James Medill, Alfred B. Powell, Buell Trackwell and Dr. William B. Wood.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Galesburg Kansas.

Galesburg Kansas Post Office.
Rose Hill was the first Post Office, open May 2, 1870 ran to March 6, 1871, moved to Galesburg.
Galesburg open its Post Office May 2, 1871 ran to ?
Business men who used Galesburg as their P. O., address as of 1906.
George N. Beck, Farmer.
O. H. P. Bowers, Farmer, Carpenter and Township Treasured
C. E. Ferguson, Farmer and Aplarist.
Galesburg Bank, G. W. Hawk, Pres., J. N. Shaw Vice. Pres., S. M. Shell, Cashier.
Theo. Naaes, Farmer and Insurance Agent.
A. P. Ross, Dealer in Real Estate, Prop. General Store and Township Clerk.
E. N. Sharp, Livery and Sale Stable and Prop., General Store.
Galesburg Kansas, as stated in 1912.

Galesburg, an incorporated city of Neosho county, is located in Centerville township, on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas R. R., lo miles southwest of Erie, the county seat. It has a bank, telegraph and express offices, and a money order postoffice with two rural routes. The population in 1910 was 183. The land on which the town was located was taken up by a Mr. Tracy for a town company of which the following were the personnel : J. W. Crees, David Bonham, E. Sapp, Levi A. Doan and J. W. Snyder. The first building was erected by William Young. J. W. Snyder built and opened the first store. The postoffice which belongs to this place was at first located at Rose Hill, about a mile south, but when the town was founded in 1871, it was moved to Galesburg. The first school was taught by Miss Parna Whittlesey in the winter of 1871-2, the school being held in the town hall.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Denton & Dentonville Kansas, One And The Same.

Denton & Dentonville.

Post Office History.

Underwood Kansas, Post Office open March 21, 1882 ran to July 14, 1882, moved to Darwin Kansas.
Darwin Kansas Post Office open June 14, 1882 ran to March 13, 1888, moved from Underwood name changed to Dentonville.
Dentonville Kansas Post Office open March 13, 1888 ran to February 17, 1905, name changed from Darwin Kansas.
Denton Kansas Post Office open February 17, 1905 and ran to?, name changed fron Dentonvill Kansas.
The business Directory of Dentonville and Denton, 1904.
Dentonville was platted as Denton.
The Directory is in two parts one for the city of Denton and the other for Union Township ( Dentonville.)
Denton City Business, 1904.
S. O. Harpster, Cashier of the Bank, Denton.
Kyle Murray, Postmaster and Teacher.
A. C. Shilts, Prop'r. Livery and Feed Barn.
The Denton Lumber Co., Deales in Lumber and Building Materials, J. T. Colhom, Manager.
Union Township P. O. Dentonville, 1904.
Severt Anderson, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
D. W. Edwards, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Ex-Representative.
A. H. Gronniger, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
Pat. McEnuley, Farmer and Stock Raiser.
Emery S. Streaton, Farmer and Stock Raiser.

Denton Kansas 1912.

Denton, one of the villages of Doniphan county, is located in Union township on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R. 11 miles south-west of Troy, the county seat. It has telegraph and express offices, banking facilities, and a money order postoffice with one rural route.  The population in 1910 was 200. The town was laid out by Moses, William, and John Denton and D. C. Kyle in 1886. William Kirby erected the first store in the fall of 1886. The first dwelling was built by E. Callaway, and the first mail carrier between Severance and Kennekuk in the early '8o's. Denton is located near the site of the old stage station of Syracuse, on the Pottawatomie trail, where the Vickerys kept a store in the '60s.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Robinson Kansas.

Robinson Kansas 1867.
Robinson is the name of a place in Brown County on the line of the St. Joseph and Danver R. R., and 7 miles south-west of Hiawatha, the County Seat.  It is not far from north-east corner of the Kickapoo reservation, situated on a high and rolling prairie.  Business men; O. H. Macauley, Notary Public; N. P. Rawlings, Post Master.
Robinson Kansas as stated in 1883.
Business men of Robinson 1887.
Robinson City Time Lines as given in 1903.
June 30, 1858, Robinson post-office established with Samuel W. Wade as post-master..
February 9, 1859. The Robinson Town Ho. incorporated by George S. Parks, O. H. Macauley, Ira H. Smith, J. P. Macauley and A. D Richardson. 
November 10, 1859,  Republican Judicial Convention at Robinson. Albert L. Lee, of Elwood, is nominated for District Judge.
March 1861, Meeting of the first state Legislature. Brown county is represented in the Senate by H. R. Dutton, of Hiawatha and in the House by Ira H. Smith, of Robinson. H M. Robinson, of Hiawatha, is a door keeper in the Senate.
May 13, 1861, The Hiawatha Guards, Capt Ira J Lacock, go to Holton to attend the organization of the 3rd Regiment of the State Militia. Steve Quaif, of Robinson, organizes and drills a band of drummers and fifers for the Company.
June 4, 1861, The legislature provides for a state road from Atchison by way of Robinson and Hiawatha, to Padonia, thence by one branch to the Nebraska line, in the direction of Falls City, and by another branch from Padonia to the
Nebraska line in the direction of Salem. Thomas Butcher, Ephraim Pound and Orville Root are designated as Commissioners.
October 17, 1861,  Republican Convention at Robinson to nominate a candidate for District Attorney. J. F. Babbitt, of Hiawatha, is the nominee.
December 25, 1863, School district No. 26, (Robinson) is organized by Superintendent Geo. G. Rice. The first board are, Henry Schmidt director, P. S. Kelley clerk, Geo. Ruth treasurer.
February 15, 1863, Robert White, E. R. Cornelison and George Rush are appointed by the legislature to locate a state road fiom Atchison via Robinson,Hiawatha and Padonia to the state line.
February 11, 1866 or 67, On petition of O. H. McCauley it is ordered that the town site of Robinson be declared vacated except California Avenue and the lots thereon, Temple street and the four blocks in the center of the town site commencing on California Avenue and Temple Streets with so much of the streets and alleys as are adjoining said blocks.
September 28, 1868, The Bryn Zion Baptist Church is organized at Pitman school house, four and one-half miles south-east of Robinson, by Revs. Cozad and Cook. The constituant members were Allen and Elizabeth Mellotte, D. B. Pittsford, S. T. Mellotte, M. F. Streeter, Rachel McBride, Mary E. Mellotte, Mary Anderson, B. F. Lilly, Mrs. B F. Lilly. The organization was moved to Robinson in 1871. The last services were held December 19, 1885.
February 22, 1870, H. M. Robinson opens the railroad station at Robinson.
May 6, 1872, Robinson Grange No. 3, is organized with C. F. Trap as Master and S. A. Holcomb as Secretary.
September 18, 1872, The Republicans of Robinson organize a Grant and Wilson
club withC. L. Carroll as president, S. W. Swayze as vice president, J. R.
September 27, 1872, Robinson Lodge No. 98, I. O. O. F., was instituted with the following charter members: A. J. Owen, N. G.; L. C. Parker, V. G.; G. B. Sterline, Secretary, M. V. Christy, Treasurer: Lum Martin, W. Swift, J. Sherman, J. Wynkoop.
June 30, 1874. Robinson Lodge No. 159, A. F. & A. M. organized under a dispensation with Charles Hack, W. M.; Cyrus A. Lemmon, S. W.; Aaron H. Wade, J. W. For some reason the issuance of a charter to this lodge was deferred until the annual communication in 1875. The dispensation shows that the same was extended from September 30, 1874, to August 31, 1875. A charter was issued October 21, 1875; The following is a list of the charter members: Charles Hack; Cyrus A. Lemmon, Aaron H. Wade, George W. Parsons, Hiram Crouuse, John Wynkoop, William H. Morris, Rudolph H. Bolinger, Solomon Jameson, Samuel W. Wade, Nathaniel Kimberlan, Alfred Roudebush.
June 1, 1875, The corner stone for the M. E. church at Robinson is laid with imposing ceremonies.

June 5, 1875, The Robinson M. E. church chartered. 0. L. Carroll, P. S. Kelley. John H. Lange, Hiram Crounse, Isaac Martindale, and Henry Cheal are directors.
December 6, 1879, A teachers association is organized at Robinson. L. H. Smyth is president and M. D. Spencer, secretary.
October 14, 1880, Democratic pole raising at Robinson. Col. Thos. Moonlight is the orator of the day. 
December 31, 1881, Robinson has exported this year 465 cars of corn, seventy cars of wheat, seven cars of barley, two cars of oats, 109 cars of stock making a total of 665 cars of grain and stock valued at $170,000. 
February 16, 1882, Fire in Robinson. Loss, $50,000. 
April 26, 1882, Odd Fellows Hall in Robinson is dedicated. 
August 10, 1882, Robinson Lodge 98, I. O O. F., incorporated. 
April 20, 1883, Robinson United Brethren church incorporated by J. A. Hicks, Samuel Snyder, J. H. Thuma, J. A. Glenn and A. F. Smith. 
May 10, 1883, Robinson has a band. The members are Jere Jordan, Jas. Bollinger, H. H. Williams, J. M Morris, E. J. Terrell, Wm. Conn, J. L. Leamaster, J. B. Mitchell, Joseph Rush, Henry Jordon, L. B. Hall, M. P. Rush, John Payne, Wm. Hickman. 
October, 1883, The Robinson Rifles organize and are accepted as Co. B, 3rd Regiment of Kansas Militia. Jas. T. Pomeroy is captain. 
April 27, 1887, The Robinson Building Association is incorporated with J. B Mitchell, S. A. Groninger, O. S. Condit, A. Nellans, O. Jordon, G. W. Terrill, Henry Williams, D. P. Maxwell and A. B. Smith as directors. This board organized by electing O. S. Condit as president, S. A. Groninger as vice president, G. W. Terrill as treasurer and J B. Mitchell as secretary.
May 21, 1888, Robinson Post No. 468, is organized. The charter members are Zephaniah Jones, James A. Gilbert, Marshall P. Rash, Hiram Crounse, Samuel Mears, Thos Jenkins, Thos Trompeter, J.Zaibjr, J H. Lang, H. EI. Hickman,
C.R.Martin, H.Cheal, H N.Chase, M. A Q ugley, C Cowley. Wm.Schung. 
October 6, 1889, City election at Robinson. S. A. Groninger is elected mayor and M. P. Rush, J. B. Mitchell, O. S. Condit, J. A. Gafford, J. F. Wilson councilmen. For police judge. M. N. Peek and Joseph Gafford each received 70 votes. 
November 18, 1889, The Robinson Lodge No. 159, A. F. & A. M. incorporated. 
August 23, 1890, Camp No 1462 of the M. W. A. is organized at Robinson with  J. B. Mitchell, V. C: E. L Truex, clerk: L S McNamar, A. B, Smith, F. A. Groninger, Jas. A Gafford, Z. B. Arbogast, T. D, Ruley, Ben K. Kelley. 
March 7, 1893, Robinson W. R. C. Association incorporated 
April 3, 1893, Robinson City election results as follows: Mayor, J. L. Leamaster; police judge, O. F. A Pirkey; councilmen, H. T. O'Neil, O. B. Jordon, F. M. Pearl, N. F Leslie, M. T. Terrill.
March 8, 1895, Robinson Council No. 229, Knights and Ladies of Security is organized with the following charter members: Delilah Truex, Johnson Truex, Marshall T. Rush. Geo. F. Mitchell, Emma S. Mitchell, Dr. H. J. Deaver, H. O. Truex, Frank Decker, Anna E. Decker, Isaac C. Hauer, Wm. Truex, Alex Williams, Mary E Miller, J. Ball, J. I. Shambaugh, J. P. Rush, Harry Hickman, H. S. Hickman. 
August 7, 1895, The Bank of Robinson chartered. Capital stock $10,000. 
April 3, 1899, Robinson city election. Mayor, Frank Idol 145, M. Wade 80; Police Judge, A. B Smith 128, S. P. Rupe 92; Marshal, J. L. Cowger 153, D. Livingston 74; Clerk, Chas. Hughes 216; Street Commissioner, Wm. Snooks 125, John Hutchinson 94; Councilmen, C. F. Lucas 136, C.J. Goodrich 86. J. W. Clendennen 131, J. W. Mattuck 74, Julius Meeke 144, T. II. Teague 82, D. Van Voorhis 149, Jake Borden 73, D. Hellman 142, Levi Riddle 74.
The first newspaper published in Robinson was owned by a stock company composed of business men. Dave Alley was editor and the first issue occured April 6, 1883. The paper was a three-column, four-page affair, size 9x12, Republican In politics. This venture ran for about six months, when the material was sold to satisfy outstanding claims and was bid in by N. F. Leslie, who was treasurer of the company.
In October 1884, the Robinson Record was launched with N. F. Leslie as editor and N. O. Pierce as mechanical supervisor. During March, 1885, the Record gave up the ghost and the material was sold to A. N. Ruley, of Hiawath, and later the plant went to Cuba, Kansas.
August 14, 1891, E. J. Patch issued the first number of the Robinson Reporter, a seven-column folio. This paper went the way of the others in March, 1892. The material was sold to parties in White Cloud.
Robinson Kansas 1912
Robinson, an jncorporated town in Brown county, is located on the St. Joseph & Grand Island R. R., lo miles southeast of Hiawatha, the county seat. It has a bank, 4 churches, about 75 business establishments, express and telegraph offices, a money order postoffice with three rural routes, and there is a weekly newspaper (the Index). The popula- tion, according to the census of 1910, was 492. Robinson was founded at the time the railroad was built in 1871. Before that date a town of the same name had grown up on the California trail which ran half a mile to the south. This was moved to the new site, which was platted in 1872. The postoffice was established in 1871, with S. Morehead as post- master. The whole business part of the town was destroyed by fire in 1882, the total loss being $31,000.