Springdale, a hamlet in the western part of Leavenworth county, is about 5 miles south of Easton, from which it has rural free delivery, and 3 miles north of Ackerland, the nearest railroad station.
The city of Springdale was platted and surveyed in 1860 by Hiram Rees and Eli Morris. It is located in the center of Alex- ander Township and about sixteen miles west of the city of Leavenworth. It has no railroad connections. John Wright was reputed to have been the first settler in the township, coming there in 1854. A postoffice was established there in 1860 and P. F. Walker was appointed the first post- master. In those days the mail was hauled overland by stage on the Fort Riley Road, Springdale getting its mail from the station at Easton, and Easton in turn getting its mail from Leavenworth, where it was brought by steamboat. The township of Alexandria, in which Spring- dale is located, was settled to a large extent by the Friends' Society. They built a church and schoolhouse there at an early date. Among the earliest industries of the little village was a sawmill operated by Henry Ready and a grist mill operated by Thomas Ashby. Among the earliest settlers of the village and community were the following: Robert E. Courtney, Garrett V. Keller, James Medill, Alfred B. Powell, Buell Trackwell and Dr. William B. Wood.