On the i6th day of May, 1857, the Cresco town company was formed, with John S. Robinson, president ; Wm. C. Howard, treasurer ; and Solomon Kauffman, secretary ; and was incorporated by an act of the Legislature of February 11, 1858. The
company claimed, under the pre-emption act, the southwest quarter of section 21, and the northwest quarter of section 28, township 20, range 18, as a townsite. The compan}^ filed a plat of the same in the district land office.
Several buildings were erected the following summer. A blacksmith shop was established by Wm. C. Howard, and a wagon shop by James C. Kelso ; also a postoffice, with Wm. C. Howard as postmaster, which was the second postoffice established in the county. Not being on a regular mail route it was supplied by mail from Hyatt, by private conveyance. James C. Kelso succeeded Mr. Howard as postmaster in the spring of 1859, he resigned in the autumn following. James R. Means was then appointed, and the office was moved to his house, some three miles north of Cresco.
The voting precinct for this part of the county was at Cresco, it being centrally located. In the spring of 1859, the inhabitants of the town, and many of the settlers in the neighborhood, caught the " Pike's Peak" gold fever, and the town was abandoned.
Authors note. Cresco was not completely abondoned as the following information will show.
Cresco, Post office opened July 13, 1858 and ran to October 14, 1868. Closed then Reopened February 7, 1891 and closed on July 31, 1891.
The directory of 1867-8, for North Missouri and Eastern Kansas, descrired Cresco as a village situted in the west part of Anderson County, 12 miles west of Garnett, the County Seat, and 52 miles south of the Kansas river. The county is not very well watered, being on a high ridge of prairie, which divides the Osage from the Neosh river.