Hartford is in the east edge of Lyon county, on the south side of the Grand or Neosho river, and 15 miles south-east of Emporia, the County Seat. It is in the fourth tier of counyies west of the Missouri State line, and 51 miles west of south Topeka. The east Verdigris river is a few miles to the south of the place. The populasion is 80.
The neighborhood about Hartford was settled in 1857 and the town was founded in 1858. The association which promoted it was composed of H. D. Rice and A. K. Hawkes of Hartford, Conn., W. H. Martin, E. Ouiett and others. The first building was a log structure 14 by 16 feet in size, in which C. P. Bassett kept a store. The second was a dwelling and lodging house, a two-story frame building erected by a Mr. Longley. The postoffice was established in 1859, with A.
K. Hawkes as postmaster. His wife taught the first school the next year in her home. The first newspaper was the Hartford Call, the first issue of which appeared in 1879. The first bank was incorporated with a capital of $50,000 in Nov., 1881. The Hartford water mills, an important institution in those days, were built in 1873.
Hartford Collegiate Institute About the year 1860 the Methodist Episcopal conference decided that it would be advisable to locate a branch of Baker University at Hartford in Lyon county. The citizens of the town agreed to donate aid in the shape of funds and land, and work was commenced on the building, which was a two-story structure 32 by 46 feet. After an expenditure of several thousand dollars the building was partially completed in 1862. Several terms were taught,
in connection with the district school, after which the collegiate institute was abandoned and the building was used by the district school.