Post Office History.
Denton Kansas 1912.
Denton, one of the villages of Doniphan county, is located in Union township on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R. 11 miles south-west of Troy, the county seat. It has telegraph and express offices, banking facilities, and a money order postoffice with one rural route. The population in 1910 was 200. The town was laid out by Moses, William, and John Denton and D. C. Kyle in 1886. William Kirby erected the first store in the fall of 1886. The first dwelling was built by E. Callaway, and the first mail carrier between Severance and Kennekuk in the early '8o's. Denton is located near the site of the old stage station of Syracuse, on the Pottawatomie trail, where the Vickerys kept a store in the '60s.