|Push to Enlarge.|
|Push to enlarge.|
office with six rural routes. The population in 1910 was 940.
Troy was located in 1855 by the county commissioners, who ordered James F. Forman to lay off 80 acres in town lots. This was done and a public square 300 feet each way was laid out in the center of town. The first house was built by Nelson Rodgers in 1856. The first store was opened in 1857 by Heed & Hampson, the first hotel was opened in that year by John Wilson, and the postoffice was established with Albert Heed, the first lawyer, as postmaster. The city was incorporated in 1860 by a special act of the legislature, which provided that the following men should be judges of election: S. D. Benight, Leonard Smith and John B. Brady. The election was held in March of that year and the following officers were chosen: Isaac Powers, mayor; W'illiam H. Trusdell, clerk. The first court-house was burned in 1867. The next year, after a little county seat war, another court-house was built. Two other fires have occurred in Troy, one in April, 1875, and the other Dec. 22, 1883, the latter destroying $20,000 worth of property. In 1867 a contract was made for completing the St. Joseph & Denver R. R. to Troy, but it was not built till three \'ears later. The first bank was established in 1870 by Henry and Louis Boder. Telephones were installed in 1885. In 1899 there was a fire which destroyed one-third of the business part of town. The St. Joseph fire department came in time to save the other buildings
and the residences.