Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pawnee Station Kansas.

Map 1920.
Push to enlarge.

 
Bourbon County.
Pawnee Township Map, 1878.
 
On the county map Pawnee Station can be found in Township 27-south and Range 24-east.  On the township map Pawnee Station and Pawnee town can be found in sections 8 & 9 & 16.
 
Pawnee Station Post Office History.
 
There were two post office with the name of Pawnee in the township of Pawnee.  The first was Pawnee and openon July 16, 1859 and ran to April 2, 1872.  The changed it's name to Hiattville.  H. Harryman was first post master.  The second was Pawnee Station who open on January 31, 1871 and ran to April 30, 1945.  H. B. Brown was first postmaster.
 
Two business men who used Pawnee Station as there P. O. address as of 1878.
 
Thomas Laidlaw, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Trader, from Delaware County New York, came to county 1869.
David S. Woodlard, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Walton County New York, came to county 1868.
 
Hiattville & Pawnee Station, 1883.
 
Hiattville
 
This town was named after James M. Hiatt, who owned the land upon which the town is located. E. B. Rall was the first settler here in May, 1870. Others were Thomas Hartwell, D. R. Anderson, Jacob Dockter and William Daly. The post office was established in May, 1870, and named Pawnee. Soon afterward, the name was changed to Hiattville. E. B. Rall kept the first store in the town, opening it upon moving into the place from his farm one mile south May 1, 1870. D. R. Anderson was the second storekeeper. Shortly afterward, Jacob Dockter opened a blacksmith shop. The first child born in Hiattville was John Hartwell, in 1874. The first marriage was that of Jacob Dockter to Mrs. Queen Hamlin July 9, 1876. No death has yet occurred in the town.

Pawnee or Pawnee Station.
 
Pawnee is located in the southern part of Bourbon County, on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, about ten miles south of Fort Scott. It was established in 1871, by the railroad company, the site comprising ten acres. Immediately following the founding of the town, H. B. Brown and Peter Smith each began in business, dealing in general merchandise. In the winter of 1871-72, a man named Conkling put in a general store. The Godfrey Coal & Mining Company began mining operations in the vicinity, and also engaged in general merchandising in 1873. About the same time, the Laidlaw Brothers started a general store. Two years later the Fort Scott Coal & Mining Company began business, dealing in coal and merchandise. A man named Smith began the hardware business about the same time. In 1877, T. D. Harris erected a store and began the general merchandising business. T. M. Grisham bought the Fort Scott Coal Company's store, and continued the business. The Laidlaw Brothers failed in business, and the business was taken up by the Enterprise Company, which also soon closed out, the business passing into the hands of Hugh McKay. Peter Smith sold out to Ryan & Woolf, and T. D. Harris to Hibbard & Sharp. The mercantile business is at present represented by two establishments, viz.: G. W. Barton, and H. B. Brown, dealer in coal, lumber, grain, hay and general merchandise. The population of the town is about 100.

The post office was located here in 1871, H. B. Brown was appointed Postmaster, and he has since acted in that capacity. The name of the office is Pawnee Station.

A man named Harris taught the first school in the town, in the winter of 1871-72, the school being kept in the frame school house which was built in the fall of 1871. The first residence was built by Mrs. Bender, the next by D. T. Brown, and the next by H. B. Brown. A hotel building was erected in 1871, by Crawford & Botsford, who ran it for a time as a public house; it was then taken by Botsford alone, and then by L. G. Griffith, who now runs it as a hotel. The country in the vicinity of the place is nicely adapted to agriculture, and the town is a considerable point in the shipping of grain, hay, live stock and produce.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - PAWNEE TOWNSHIP, 1883.

H. B. BROWN, merchant, Pawnee Station, a native of Eaton, Madison Co., N. Y., born in 1831; he went to Indiana with his parents in 1837, and they removed to Illinois in 1841, where they remained until 1859, when he came to Kansas, locating on a farm in Section 31, Marion Township, living there until 1862. In 1865, he was called out to serve in the Home Guards and State Militia, holding the position of Commissary Sergeant. In 1871, he opened the first mercantile establishment in the village of Pawnee, commencing in a building 14x20 feet. He has in the intervening time, with characteristic perseverance, increased his business until 1882 we find him with a stock of merchandise amounting to $5,000; in a large building; also dealing in lumber, stock and baled hay, doing a business of about $30,000 a year. Mr. Brown has had the post office since 1871. He married and has one daughter.

L. GRIFFITH, hotel, Pawnee Station, a native of Genesee County, N. Y., was born in 1826; his parents were early settlers in that country, his father building the first bridge on Perry Creek. Mr. Griffith left New York in 1870 and went to Michigan; having lost his wife, he married in this State, and in Decatur he learned and worked at butchering. In 1877, he came to Kansas and went to farming, but sold, and took a hotel in Hepler, Crawford Co., Kan.; leaving there he came to Pawnee, and bought the Pawnee House of Mr. Botsford; after fitting it up he rented and went into hotel business in Cherokee; from there he went to Indian Springs in McDonald County, but has since moved back to Bourbon County, having bought a farm in Pawnee Township, and farmed the summer of 1882, moving into the hotel in October, 1882. He has one daughter by the first marriage. In 1870, he married Miss Raymond, who is a teacher, having followed the profession for twenty years, teaching in New York, Michigan, Kansas and Missouri. She was a native of the same county as her husband, and was born in 1842.

Pawnee Station, Kansas, 1912.

Pawnee Station, a money order post village of Bourbon county, is located on the St. Louis & San Francisco R. R. about 12 miles southwest of Fort Scott, the county seat. It is a supply point for the nearby farming district. In 1910 it had a population of 87. The railroad name is Anna.

Pawnee township Map, 1920.
 
This map will show you just where Pawnee Station was and maybe give you a better understanding between Pawnee and Pawnee Station.  Pawnee Station is in section 16, the town of Pawnee is in section 8 &9, although it not shown here.  See Pawnee township map of 1878, at the top of this page.

1 comment:

Grean Herbz said...

This blog post contains very useful information. I am very glad that I found this blog. Keep on sharing such useful information in future.
Welcome to Green Herbz 2014 Potpourri Herbal Spice