Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Ridgeway Kansas

Osage County.
Ridgeway Township Map, 1879.
On the county map  Ridgeway can be found in Township 14-south and Range 16-east.  On the township map Ridgeway can be found in section 14.
There are two Ridgeway's one is Ridgeway Station which is in section 11, and Ridgewat Post Office which is in section 14.
Between 1879 and 1899 the townships line had changed and Ridgeway township was divided to make a new township which is Elk township wihch Ridgeway is now in.  Ridgeway Station is no longer being shown on the map, by 1918 Ridgeway Post Office is no longer being shown on the map.
Osage County.
Elk Township map, 1899.
Georgetown & Ridgeway.
Here is what the Osage county history of 1879, had to say about Georgetown and Ridgeway.
Ridgeway and vicinity was settled by first-rate class of farmers, a town was laid off and a post office established,  named Georgetown, some two miles southeast of Ridgeway.  A store was opened subsequently at Ridgeway, by Bornson & Stone, two noted showmen, and the post office subsequently remover to Ridgeway where it has remained ever since.
Ridgeway Post Office.
Ridgeway post office open May 10, 1858 and ran to October 20, 1900.  First postmaster was George W. Strobridge.
Business men who used Ridgeway as their P. O. address as of 1879.
C. G. Fox, Farmer and Teacher, from Monroe County New York, came to county 1859.
J. W. Fox, Farmer and Minister, from Chenoga county New York, came to county 1859.
N. Osborn, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Hendrick county Indiana came to county 1868.
E. Bissell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Windham county, Vermont, came to county 1870.
L. E. Bissell, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Windham county, Vermont, came to county 1870.
C. H. Easton, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Yates county, New York, came to county 1868.
Robert Clark, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Fifeshire, Scotland, came to county 1857.
John Aitchison, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Roxbergshire, Scotland, came to county 1857.
Joseph Law, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Chester county, Pennsylvania, came to county 1857.
Alfred Wiley, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Licking county, Ohio, came to county 1856.
People of Ridgeway, 1883.
ROBERT CLARK, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Ridgeway. Was born in Scotland, September 14, 1826. Son of Morris Clark and Margaret Berrell. Came to the United States in 1852; settled in South Carolina. Came to Kansas in 1857; settled in Elm Township, where he and his brother Morris own 720 acres, improved; they jointly working the same. He was in the militia and participated in the battle of the Blue against Sterling Price. Mr. Clark was married in London, England, in 1852, to Elizabeth Hugg, who died in 1856; married again in Lawrence, Kan., June 17, 1876, to Elizabeth Collier Haveland. He has one child, Alice, and two step-children, William H. and John Haveland.

JOSIAH B. EMERY, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Ridgeway. Was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, June 4, 1820, son of Dr. George R. Emery and Candace Willey., where he lived until twenty years of age, and then removed to Winnebago County, Ill., and in 1872 he came to Kansas and settled in Elk Township, where he has since resided on an eighty acre farm which he owns, and which he has in a fine state of cultivation. Previous to coming to this State he spent nine years in California. He was united in marriage to Prudence McIntyre, in Winnebago County, Ill., June 28, 1852, who died July 22, 1869. He was again united in marriage in Lawrence, Kan., May 28, 1873, to Mrs. Sarah T. German, daughter of David Burnham of Wisconsin. He has had five children - Vinacie, (who died July 22, 1855,) A. J. Frank, Eva May, Freddie, (died March 19, 1863,) and Cora. Mr. Emery is a member of Ridgeway Lodge, No. 62, A., F. & A. M., and is the present Tyler of the lodge.

REV. JARED W. FOX, farmer, Section 11, Township 14, Range 16, P. O. Ridgeway, was born in Sherburne, New York, December 5, 1810, son of Amasa Fox and Abagail Ware. Mr. Fox grew to manhood in his native town and was apprenticed at Burlington, New York, for five years. He entered the Oneida Institute at Whitesboro in the fall of 1832, and graduated from Union Theological Seminary, New York City, and was ordained at Adam's Basin, N. Y., as pastor of the Congregational Church and subsequently became pastor of the Congregational Church in Chili, Monroe County, N. Y., which he served faithfully several years. He came to Kansas in 1860, and settled on a farm containing a quarter section which he owns in Elk Township. He erected a substantial stone house and barn in a few years since. Since coming to this State he has managed the farm and served the church in Burlingame as pastor a part of the time, and continues to hold forth the Word in the surrounding country. Mr. Fox was married in Sherburne, N. Y., January 21, 1839, to Miss Mercy C., daughter of Jonathan Copeland, Esq. And Mrs. Rebecca Edwards Copeland. They have seven children - Charles G., Jared C.., Irving C., Herbert E., Elliott H., Jonathan C. and Mirtie R. C. Charles G., son of the above, was born in Adams Basin, N. Y., January 9, 1840, and was educated in Walworth Academy. He came to Kansas in 1859, and settled in Elk Township, where he owns a good farm. He was elected Surveyor for Osage County and filled the office for seven years. He has also been engaged in teaching school most of the time since coming to the State. He was in the militia and participated with Sterling Price on the blue. He was united in marriage in Marion, Wayne County, N. Y., May 19, 1861, to Miss Harriet E., daughter of Johnathan Pratt, Esq. and Clarissa Jennings. They have four children - Frank E., Mertie C., Nellie A. and Grace B. Mr. Fox is a member of the Congregational Church.

BASIL HARDISTY, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Ridgeway. He was born in Knox County, Ohio, January 18, 1833; son of Francis Hardisty and Mary Barcus. Mr. Hardisty grew up on a farm and was engaged in that business in Ohio. He came to Kansas in 1870, and settled in Elk Township, owns 500 acres and has 300 under the plow. He has good buildings and is one of the substantial farmers of Osage County. Mr. Hardisty was united in marriage in Knox County, Ohio, November 20, 1860, to Miss Livonia, daughter of Labon J. Wiley, Esq. And Sarah Twiggs, They have one child - Francis L. J., born October 27, 1865. Mr. Hardisty is a member of Ridgeway Lodge, No. 62, A., F. & A. M.

HON. H. H. HEBERLING, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Ridgeway; born in Berkley County, West Virginia, May 19, 1811, son of John Heberling and Mary Crumly. When he was fourteen years old his parents removed to Harrison County, Ohio, where he learned milling and worked at the business for several years. He came to this State in 1855, and settled in Elk Township. He has a farm of eighty-four acres. He was elected to the legislature of the State in 1861, where he served with credit to himself and honor to his constituents. He was made Chairman of the Committee on agriculture and Federal relations. He has also been elected and served as Justice of the Peace two years. Mr. Heberling has never sought office, but has rather shrunk from it, yet never failed to discharge any trust imposed upon him with fidelity. He was an active Free-State man and whenever called upon was true to his principles. He took an active part in the defence (sic) of Lawrence, when Price invaded the State. His house was open to the new-comers and furnished a green spot in the memory of the weary traveler who always found a place of rest at his home. Mr. Heberling was married in Harrison County, Ohio, January 2, 1834, to Miss Catherine, daughter of John Dickerson and Mary Stevens, daughter of Joshua Stevens, a relative of Thaddeus Stevens. They have seven children - James A., Rebecca L., Sylvanus L., Catherine J., George H., Sarah M. and Junius L., the first white child born in Elk Township. Mr. Heberling is a member of Hurricane Grange, No. 359, P. of H. He is liberal in belief and reads up all sides of a question.

ALFRED WILEY, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Ridgeway, was born in Licking County, Ohio, August 29, 1827; son of Laban J. Wiley and Sarah Twigg (sic) where he was brought up. After living some time in Wisconsin he came to Kansas in 1856, and settled in Osage County. He owns 320 acres, improved; 110 acres are improved. He was called out during the Price raid, but was unable to go with the militia to the scene of action because of a severe attach of asthma. He was married in Osage County, February 12, 1869, to Miss Jane, daughter of James Douglas and Jane Graham. They have had eight children, seven living and one dead - Sarah, born October 9, 1869; Stewart, born February 6, 1871; Laban J., Jr., born October 12, 1872, and died February 18, 1873; Mary J., born February 24, 1874; Lafayette, born February 28, 1877; Alfred, born August 22, 1878; Livona, born June 1, 1860; Ellen E., born December 24, 1882.
Ridgeway Kansas, 1912.

Ridgeway, a discontinued postoffice in the northern part of Osage county, receives its mail from Carbondale. It is one of the historic early day towns, but upon being missed by the railroads has dwindled to a mere hamlet.

More History on Ridgeway and its other names.
Ridgeway, Ridgeway Station, ( Swissvale ), ( Elk Creek ), ( Glenwood ), ( Wakarusa ), ( GeorgeTown ): Located: Elk Township, Township 14-south and Rarane 16, east, section 11, a station on ATSF RR about three miles from Georgetown on Strobridge Creek.  First Postmaster: George W. Strobridge, 10 may 1858--20 October 1900, ( mail from Carbondale ).  Post Office changed from Elk Creek, ( est. Shawnee County ), to Glenwood, see both.  Before 1860, Ridgeway was in Shawnee County. 
The name Ridgeway came to it naturally for it was the ridge or divide between tributaries, consisting of fine land ridge of about 30-40 miles and provided an excellent trail.  It was on State Road 1865 from Topeka to Sac and Fox Agency ( 1856 ) on Shawnee County Road.  The RR station at Ridgeway was called Swissvale, see.  By 1902 the Branch of the Mo Pac RR was discontinued.
Ridgeway was once called Wakarusa, see and had been settled some time before Council City.  The first settlers were Allen Pierson and his sons John and Elias.  Soon after, O. H. Bronson, a pro-slavery man, located here. 
The March election was conducted about same time at Council City and Bronson declared elected to the legislature.  The Post Office was established on May 10, 1858 and the name was changed from Georgetown, see, to Ridgeway.  The Ridgeway Post Office was moved to the new town of Glenwood, see on Lawrence and Carbondale RR.

No comments: