B. F. Baughn was the first settler on the town site. He commenced the first building, which he called the Netawaka House, and partially finished it. The original proprietor of the house was Mrs. Brown. The building is now the property of P. G. Kinney, and its present proprietor Mrs. L. D. Nichols. The City Hotel is under the management of Mrs. Amanda Bibb.
Edward W. Kenyon, the pioneer merchant, is a native of Windham County, Conn. In the autumn of 1867, he built the first store in Netawaka, and in January, 1868, opened the first stock of goods. He was the first station agent and land agent for the Kickapoo lands in charge of the C. B. U. P. Railroad. He was appointed postmaster in 1868, and still holds the office. The office at New Eureka, in the south part of the township, has been discontinued since 1870. The Kenyon Hall, which is used for public purposes, lectures, concerts, etc., is in the second story of Mr. Kenyon's store.
The Grangers have a hall and a store in the town, but their meetings are irregularly held.
The grist-mill was built in 1881, by A. J. Evans & Sons. It is a fine mill; value, $11,000, and is a great acquisition to the town. The Baptists, Presbyterians and Methodists have each church organizations, but the Baptists are few in number, and without a pastor. The other denominations worship in a church edifice, in which they both have interests. The Presbyterian Church has about twenty members. Its pastor is Rev. D. R. Todd. The organization was commenced in 1878. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1876 with ten members. Rev. Mr. Mayer is the present Pastor. The Protestant Episcopalians organized a church in 1870. Rev. Mr. Turner, pastor; but a removal of some of the members to other sections has weakened the church so that it rarely holds service. In March, 1881, the Liberal Lecture Association was organized. Hon. D. H. Sutherland, who lives some two miles southwest of Netawaka, was chosen President, and E. W. Kenyon, Secretary. Their meetings are held at Kenyon's Hall, from time to time.
In 1870, Mr. Frank H. Stout, who is now connected with the Holton Recorder, started the Netawaka Herald, but in October, 1871, he sold the paper to parties from Irving, who removed it to that place.
June 4, 1872, George S. Irwin commenced the publication of the Netawaka Chief, but September 24, 1872 he sold it to A. J. Best and H. D. Sprague. Messrs. Best & Sprague in January, 1873, sold the Chief to H. L. Roberts, who published it till July 14, 1874, when he moved to Hiawatha, and there established the Herald and has now associated with him in its management, T. L. Brundage.
Netawaka has a good schoolhouse costing $2,000, and ten teachers are employed. The Masons have a thriving lodge, of which Mr. John Gibbons is the present W. M.
Netawaka, a village of Jackson county, is located on the Missouri Pacific R. R. in Netawaka township, 10 miles north of Holton, the county seat. All lines of business are represented. There are banking facilities, express and telegraph offices, and a money order postofiice with two rural mail routes. The population in 1910 was 339.
The name means "Fair view" and is the only one in the county of Indian significance. The first settler on the town site was B. F. Baughn, who began the building of the Netawaka House. The town was laid out in 1866 and Edward W. Kenyon, the pioneer merchant, opened the first store in 1868. He was the first station agent and agent for the Kickapoo lands in charge of the Union Pacific R. R. He was also the first postmaster. A grist mill was built by A. J. Evans in 1881.