Thursday, December 27, 2012

Bala Kansas.

Riley County.
Bala Township Map, 1881.
On the county map Bala can be found in Township 8-south and Range 4-east.  On the township map Bala can be found in section 36.
Bala Post Office.
Timber Creek post office open April 19, 1870 and ran to February 24, 1871, moved to Bala.  Bala post office open February 24, 1871, first postmaster was Rowland Davies, and ran to March 25, 1966.
Business Peolpe Of Bala City, 1881.
Push to Enlarge.

Bala Township & Bala City, 1885.

Bala Township.

Bala township is just located south of Fancy Creek township, and contains about forty-two square miles of as fine upland prairie as any one need want, whose value will be enhanced as much as that of its northern neighbor by the extension of the Kansas Central railway. Indeed, it is probable that it will pass tbrough the northern portion of tbis township. The larger part of the population are of Welsh birth or parentage (except a Swede and German settlement on the head of Walnut creek), and they possess all the desirable qualities of that sterling race. Welshmen will find Bala an especialy agreeable place to settle in. There are two stone and four frame school houses in the township.

BALA City. 

is a neat little town, on the head of  Timber creek, in the southern part of the township, and has three general merchandise and grocery stores, conducted by Rowland Davies, James Sharpies and Mrs. Jenkins. There is also a good drug store, J. H. Jenkins, proprietor. The first cheese factory erected in Riley county was built here, by Mr. Sharpies, and is now in operation. There is a harness shop, shoe shop, blacksmith shop and hotel also. There are two churches, Calvinistic and Lutheran. The Methodist society supports a minister, but have not erected their church as yet. There is also a large school house, with a large number of scholars.

Bala Kansas, 1912.

Bala, a hamlet near the west line of Riley county, is located on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific R. R. in Bala ownship, 29 miles north- west of Manhattan, the county seat. It is supplied with telegraph and express offices and a money order postoffice with one rural route. The population in 1910 was 100. It received its name from a town in North Wales. A. D. Phelps, the first settler in the neighborhood, came in 1862.

No comments: