Baileyville, a village of Nemaha county, is located on the St. Joseph & Grand Island and the Missouri Pacific railroads, 6 miles west of Seneca, the county seat. It has banking facilities, express and telegraph offices and a money order postoffice with two rural routes. The population in 1910 was 250. The town was founded by N. Bailey in 1880. A postoffice with G. M. Rasp as postmaster was established. A large hay press and sheds were erected by S. H. Rice & Co. of St. Joseph, who also started a store for the benefit of their employees and others who settled in the neighborhood.
Baileyville, the westernmost town of the county, was named in honor of ex-Governor Bailey's father, who laid out the town seven miles west of Seneca. It has prospered and become a convenient shipping point, if not a city of any considerable growth. G. M. Rasp was the first postmaster of the village and a St. Joseph firm estabHshed a store, hay sheds, etc. Later these were sold to the Bailey Brothers and to other interested local citizens. The St. Joseph & Grand Island put in a siding and Baileyville increased in numbers, citizenship and substantiality.