On May 16, 1872, Cransdale was located and Samuel Hannum was appointed postmaster by Judge A.J. Croswell, postmaster-general, which he held until 1877, when the office was moved to the residence of John C. Orput, who lived half way between Concordia and Beloit, and given the name of Half Way.
Mr. Orput was appointed by D.M. Key, postmaster-general. In April, 1878, he resigned, and John S. Abbey was appointed and the office moved to his residence, where it remained until the present year (1901) when a rural delivery was established and the postoffice abolished. Cransdale post office open May 16, 1872 and ran to April 11, 1877. Name changed to Half Way who's post office open April 11, 1877 and ran to October 10, 1900.