Henry Agle built the "Eagle Hotel" in the fall of 1868. Other buildings erected in, or moved to. the town in 1868 were: A frame store building. erected by R. S. McCubin. of Atchison. Kansas; R. S. Newell moved his store from Marble Falls and Joseph Samuels moved a store building from Maryville. J. C. Peters built a store and dwelling combined. George
Hutt erected a small building, now standing on the corner by the town pump. Mr. Vowers. a homesteader, two miles west, supplied the people of Waterville with good water from his spring on Coon creek at five cents a pail, until the town well was bored in 1870. Mike Niggley built a one-story saloon, eighteen by twenty feet, in which he started operations with one keg of beer and one gallon of whiskey. Roy Sholes opened a hardware store and tinner's shop, where Ed Adam's barber shop now stands. He sold out in 1869 to J. Miord, who enlarged the building and stock.
In 1869 J. D. Flannery built and operated a general merchandise store. Heineke & Cowgill built a furniture store. Frank Glasser erected general merchandise store, building it himself. John Mullender and J. C. Dickey each built and operated a blacksmith shop. W. C. Johnson and William Haskel opened a lumber office. A. M. Pickett built a photograph gallery and A. Simie, a drug store: J. D. Farwell and J. Miexell, each, a hardware store; W. W. Smith and W. P. Mudgett, a law office; A. D. Willson and Mr. McKinnon, a real-estate office; John Wilson, a livery.
|Push to enlarge.|
go out from the postoffice.