RICHARD H. BEST, farmer, Section 20, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born at Zanesville, Ohio, in October, 1830. While he was yet an infant, his parents removed to Springfield, Ohio, where they resided until 1847, then removed to Morgan County, Ind. Here the subject of our sketch remained until 1854, when he removed to Decatur County, Iowa, where he resided, engaged in farming for about three years. In July, 1857, he came to Kansas, locating on Hill Creek, in Waterloo Township. He pre-empted 160 acres of land which he at once began to improve, and which he continued to farm until August, 1862 when he enlisted as a Corporal in Company C, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Volunteers. He participated in the battles of Old Fort Wayne and Cane Hill, in the latter receiving a severe wound in the head by a minie-ball, which he still carries in his head, surgeons never having been able to extract or definitely locate it. This wound disabled him from further service, and after remaining about five months in hospital he was discharged. He then returned home and resumed the operation of his farm. He has since made additional purchases, so that his farm land now amounts to 500 acres, divided into two farms one of which he personally operates, renting the other. Both farms are valuable land, being largely bottom land, each having timber and running water upon it. He is largely engaged in stock raising, and feeds most of his crops to his own stock. Mr. Best has held several offices in the township. His a member of Ivy Grange, P. of H. He married Miss Dicie Hopkins, of Morgan County, Ind., in March, 1852. She died in October, 1868, leaving five children, of whom James K., George W., Robert H. and Dicie M. are now living. August 14, 1977, he married Miss Julia A. Monti, of Emporia, by whom he has two children - Willie A. and Emma.
ROBERT BEST, farmer, Section 33, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born August 19, 1814. at Zainesville, Ohio, where his youth was spent. His father was a distiller, and he followed the distilling business most of the time until he came to Kansas. He removed to Mason County, Ky., in 1832, and remained there sixteen years. In 1848 he began farming, in Shelby County, Ohio, continuing until he came to this State. He was one of the earliest settlers of Breckinridge (now Lyon) County, coming here in April, 1856, when he took a claim of 160 acres, situated on Hill Creek, in Waterloo Township. He has ever since remained upon his homestead, and is now the oldest settler living in Waterloo Township. He has since purchased eighty acres adjoining the home farm and eighty acres between Dow and Duck creeks, in Fremont Township. He has made valuable improvements upon the home farm. Has about 130 acres under cultivation, and an orchard containing about 200 apple and 3,000 peach trees, besides other fruits. He raises cattle and hogs, feeding all his own crops, and buying more for his stock. Mr. Best is a member of the Emporia Commandery, No. 13. K. T. He held the office of Justice of the Peace of Waterloo Township four years, and has held other local offices. He has been married three times. By his first wife, Miss Dorathy Smith, of Clarke County, Ohio, whom he married June 9, 1939, he had one child - Samuel A. who was a member of the Fifty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteers in the War of the Rebellion, and was killed in Virginia. This wife died February 7, 1841. He married Miss Margaret Leighton, of Clarke County, Ohio, in April, 1844. She died January 6, 1851, without issue. He married Miss Isabella V. Radabaugh, of Logan County, Ohio, April 27, 1852. Uncle Robert, as he is called, has led an active life, and has met with some exciting and interesting experiences. While on his return home from a trip to Kansas City, then the nearest trading point to the settlers in this county, the 4th day of June, 1856, at the time John Brown was engaged in his Black Jack battle, Mr. Best was taken prisoner by a band of border ruffians, known as the Buford Men, at Bowl Creek, in Johnson County. He was held five days and robbed of $350 in cash. His companion was not held so long, but lost his ox team and wagon, with its contents.
JOHN BRAMHILL, farmer, Section 2, Township 17, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born July 21, 1828, at Epworth, Lincolnshire, England, where he was brought up on a farm. He came to the United States in 1834, locating in Dane County, Wis., where he remained until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1857. He took a claim of 160 acres of land, situated on One Hundred and Forty-second Creek, which claim he sold in 1860. During the war he was enrolled in the militia and was called into service at the time of the Price raid, and on several other occasions. He farmed rented land, until 1866, when he bought eighty acres of partly improved land, situated on One Hundred and Forty-second and Hill creeks, in Waterloo Township. He has since purchased additional lands, and now has in his home farm 187 acres, and 160 acres one-half mile southwest of and forty acres one-fourth of mile north of the home farm. He has about eighty acres under cultivation, forty acres of timber land, and uses the remainder for hay and grazing. He raises cattle and hogs, feeding most of his crops to his own stock. He has made valuable improvements upon the home farm. Has an orchard of about 300 apple trees besides other fruits. Mr. Bramhill is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also a member of Ivy Grange, P. of H. He married Mrs. Elizabeth Courtney, of Waterloo Township, September 20, 1830. She has two children by her former marriage - Anna A., and Thomas S. By this marriage Mr. Bramhill has had four children, of whom George L., William A., and Frances M., are living.
TRUMAN E. GILBERT, farmer and stock dealer, Section 35, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born in Washington County, Ohio, December 20, 1837. Twelve years later he removed with his parents to Jefferson County, Ill., but after a residence there of one year removed to Appanoose County, Iowa. Here he remained upon a farm until August, 1862, when he enlisted as a Sergeant in Company I, Thirty-sixth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He was assigned to the army operating on the Mississippi River, and participated in the battles of Helena, Little Rock and Marks Mills, besides many lighter engagements and skirmishes. He was mustered out of service in September, 1865, and returned to Appanoose County, where he remained until he came to Kansas, in the spring of 1867. He located in Lyon County, and bought a farm of 100 acres situated on One Hundred and Forty-second Creek. This place he sold In 1878, and the following year he bought the farm now owns, containing 320 acres, situated on One Hundred and Forty-second Creek, in Waterloo Township. He has made valuable improvements on the farm, including a large and fine dwelling, good barn and other buildings. He has 175 acres under cultivation, sixty acres of timber land and uses the remainder for hay and grazing. His principal crop is corn. He raises cattle and hogs, and feeds many more, using all his own crops and buys additional. He married Miss Laura Moore, of Appanoose County, Iowa. December 5, 1858. She died August 16, 1880, after bearing him ten children, of whom Isabella, Elmer E., Elva L. and Emma are living. He married Miss Elizabeth W. Kirkpatrick, of Emporia, August 18, 1881, by whom he has one child - Jessie M.
LEMUEL W. HUTCHASON, farmer, Section 35, Township 16, Range 13, P. O. Ivy, - known as Well Hutchason the Infidel - was born September 27, 1824, in Clinton County, N. Y., and raised upon a farm in Niagara County, N. Y. His father died before he was ten years old, in 1833, leaving a family of six children of whom he was the oldest, and upon him and his next oldest brother devolved the maintenance of the family. His principal vocation was farming. In 1849, he bought 160 acres of land in Grundy County, Ill., and the following year, began farming for himself. He sold this farm in 1856, and in January, 1857, came to Kansas. Located in Waterloo Township and pre-empted 160 acres of land situated on One Hundred and Forty-second creek, which he began at once to improve and has ever since cultivated. He has since bought five acres of timber land. He has made valuable improvements upon his farm, including a commodious frame dwelling completed in the spring of 1883. He has about 100 acres under cultivation; principal crop is corn. He raises cattle, horses and hogs, feeding all his crop to his own stock. He married Miss Minnie G. Chandler, of Chicago, Ill., April 13, 1856. She died March 4, 1883, leaving six children - Mary, Ettie, Franz, Zilpha, Lila and Meda. Mr. Hutchason has given to his children a good education, sending some to the State Normal School and some to the State University.