I could not find any record that states why Blendon moved to Goddard.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - ATTICA TOWNSHIP, 1883..P. BRIGGS, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Blendon, was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., in 1841; son of W. A. and Fanny Barber, Briggs. Was married in 1869 to Miss Augusta Watkins, daughter of John and Evaline Smith Watkins. Have two children - Willis H. and Robert Briggs. Came to Kansas in 1871; located on the farm where he now resides; owns eighty acres of land; engaged in farming. Is the oldest settler in the township. Mr. Briggs was the first woman in the township west of the Cowskin Creek. He was in the township two years before its organization; was elected constable at the first election; has been member of the School Board. Was in the war of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1861 in the Third Regiment Michigan Volunteers, Company E; re-enlisted in the regular United States Service. Was in the battle of Pittsburgh Landing, and other engagements of his command; was wounded at Green River Bridge; was in the hospital nine months; was prostrated with the typhoid fever before recovering from his wound. After leaving the hospital returned to Michigan. After one month, re-enlisted in the Third Michigan Cavalry, Company F; was quartered in the Western Department, engaged in scouting; was mustered out in Texas, in 1866.
FOSTER COLEMAN, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Blendon, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1814; is a son of James and Amy (Foster) Coleman. Was married in 1834, to Miss Jane Peoples. Has two children - Joseph R. and Mary M. Coleman. His wife died in 1840. Was married in 1842, to Miss Nancy Sullivan, daughter of David and Christiana Sullivan. Has four children - John H., Andrew S., William W. and Francis M. Coleman. Came to Kansas in 1872, located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 160 acres of land, and engaged in farming and stock raising. Was among the first settlers in the part of the township where he now resides. Was one of the organizers of the township; was Treasurer from 1878 until 1882. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, holds the office of steward and class leader. Is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M.
JOHN KELLY, farmer, Section 16, P. O. Blendon, was born in Washington County, Penn., in 1831; son of Abraham and Mary (Durbin) Kelly. Was married in 1854 to Miss Kate N. Wylie, daughter of David and Mary Edie Wylie. Came to Kansas in 1873, from McLean County, Ill., and located in Attica Township. Owns 320 acres of land; engaged in farming and stock raising. Was one of the organizers of the township. Was the organizer of the Grange movement in Sedgwick County, and was master of the town and county Grange. To encourage the movement, he and E. P. Thompson built the Grange Elevator, at Wichita. Was elected Director of the State Board of Agriculture, in 1874; was President of the Board in 1875 and 76, remained member of the Board until 1882. Was elected Representative of Sedgwick County, in the Legislature of 1875. In 1876 was elected State Senator from the Thirty-eighth District. Served in the session of 1877; resigned his position the following summer. Was appointed member of the Centennial Board to represent the State at the Centennial at Philadelphia, in 1876. Is President of the West Side Library Association of Attica Township, chartered in 1880; 150 volumes in the library. Crossed the plains in 1850, to California; remained one year, engaged in mining.
A. H. MCCONAHIE, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Blendon, was born in Ireland, County Antrim, September 4, 1847, and with his parents, in 1849, immigrated to America, and located in Randolph County, Ill. He is a son of David and Violet Hunter McConahie. Was married, November 27, 1878, to Miss Ruthe E. Wikoff, daughter of H. B. and Mary Wikoff. He has three children - Willie A., Mary V. and Jennie A. Mr. McConahie came to Kansas on the 27th of November, 1866, located in Johnson County and engaged in farming. In August, 1872, he moved to Sedgwick County, and on the 19th of August bought from Mr. Nicholas Clous for $500 the farm he now lives on; and then located on the southeast quarter of Section 25, Garden Plain Township, Sedgwick County. He was the first settler in that township and built the first house. In 1876 he located on the farm where he now resides. He owns 160 acres of land and is engaged in farming and stock raising. He was in the War of the Rebellion. Enlisted, April 21, 1864, in the Fifth Illinois Cavalry, Company K, and was in the engagements of his command; he was mustered out at Memphis, Tenn., May 28, 1865. He has been Trustee of Attica Township two years.
CHARLES M. MILES, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Blendon, was born in Connecticut in 1835, and is the son of William and Harriet Collins Miles. Was married, in 1864, to Miss Mary A. Lyman, daughter of William and Mary A. Ives Lyman. He has six children - Nelson L., Charles W., Edgar M., Helen C., Lucy S. and infant. He came to Kansas in 1872 and located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 480 acres of land and is engaged in farming and stock raising. He was one of the organizers of the township and was the first Trustee of the township; has been Treasurer. He is a member of the School Board and has been Treasurer of the district for nine years.
L. B. MILLER, farmer and blacksmith, farmer, Grand River Township, Section 5 and 6, P. O. Blendon, was born in Harding County, Ky., in 1838, son of Thomas and Frances (Culley) Miller; was married in 1869, to Miss Candace Harris, daughter of Anderson and Elizabeth (Daniels) Harris; has five children - Mary M., Elizabeth S., Willie E., Jesse P. and Lucien E. Miller. Came to Kansas in 1872, located in Coffey County, and engaged in blacksmithing, remaining four years, then moved to Wichita and remained two years. In 1878 he located on his farm in Grand River Township, and engaged in farming and blacksmithing, remaining three years; then moved to Blendon, Attica Township, where he now resides, working at his trade and farming. Is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F & A. M., and of the I. O. O. F. His farm consists of 166 acres; owns a house and lot where he resides, and farms 100 acres of land.
J. P. PARKHURST, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Blendon, was born in Hampshire County, Mass., in 1840, is a son of Jacob and Melinda (Thayer) Parkhurst, was married in 1868, to Miss Martha M. McAdam, daughter of Robert and Hannah McAdam. Has five children - Susie, Nellie, Mattie, Flora and Ada Parkhurst. Came to Kansas in 1875; located at Wichita, and engaged in teaching and farming. In 1877, located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 620 acres of land, and is engaged in general farming. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in August, 1862, in the Eighty-sixth Regular Illinois Volunteer Company D, and was appointed First Sergeant at the organization of the company; was in the battles of Perryville, Missionary Ridge, Reseca, Rome, Ga., Kenesaw Mountain, and in other engagements of his command. Was wounded at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, a ball passing through both arms, causing the amputation of the right arm, above the elbow. He was taken prisoner at the time, and was held from the 27th of June until the 12th of August, at the hospital, at Atlanta, Ga. The amputation of his arm was made on the 4th of July. He made his escape from the hospital on the 12, and reached the Union lines on the 31st of August. Was treated with kindness while held as prisoner. Was in the hospital until he received his discharge, in March, 1865. Was able to give information to Generals Williams and Slocum, in regard to the strength and power of the enemy at Atlanta, which resulted in the capture of that city, the next day.
WILLIAM J. PITTENGER, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Blendon, was born in Ohio, in 1838; is a son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Gladfelter) Pittenger. Was married in 1867, to Miss Ella Shafer, daughter of William P., and Harriet Shafer. Has five children - Oliver M., Charles E., Flora E., William A. and Clara E. Pittenger. Came to Kansas in 1879, from Illinois, and located on the farm where he now resides, engaged in farming. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1862, in the Ninety-third Regiment Illinois Volunteers, Company D, and was detailed in the Signal Corps Service, in 1863. Was in the siege of Vicksburgh and the battles of Missionary Ridge, Atlanta, July 22 and 28, 1864, Reseca. Was with Sherman in his march to the sea, and other engagements of his command. Joined his regiment in April, 1865, and was mustered out in June of the same year. Is a member of the ancient order of I. O. O. F. Is a member of the School Board, and has served three years. Was elected Township Trustee in 1882, and re-elected in 1883.
C. P. SHAFER, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Blendon, was born in Delaware County, Ind., in 1842, son of William and Harriet (Polling) Shafer, natives of Pennsylvania; was married in 1864, to Miss Sophronie Ford, daughter of Thomas and Maria Ford, has three children - Hattie, Nellie and Howard Shafer. Came to Kansas in 1875, and located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 240 acres of land, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. Is Justice of the Peace, has held that office for seven years; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and trustee of the church. Is a member of the School Board, has served for six years.
H. B. WIKOFF, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Blendon, was born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1829; son of Samuel S. And Ann (Henderson) Wikoff. Was married in 1852, to Miss Mary A. Mallory, daughter of William and Mary (Reed) Mallory. Has seven children - William M., Caroline F., Ruth E., Elizabeth A., Mary A., Anzo Nettie and Lula Alta Wikoff. Came to Kansas in 1872, located in Miami County, remained one year. In 1873, located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 160 acres of land. Is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, and elder of the church. Was master of the Grange in 1875.