Monday, November 5, 2012

Walnut Kansas, Crawford County.

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, 1883.
Crawford County
Walnut Township Map, 1906.
On the county map Walnut can be found in Township 28-South and Range 21-East.  On the Township map Walnut can be found in section 14.
Business men of Walnut Township & Business men of the city of Walnut, 1906
Push to enlarge.
Walnut Kansas, 1912.

Walnut, an incorporated city in Crawford county, is located on Little Walnut creek, at the junction of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroads, 15 miles northwest of Girard, the county seat. It has a bank, an opera house, a flour mill, grain elevators 2 weekh^ newspapers (the Eagle and the Advance), 2 hotels, a washing machine factory, which is also a sawmill and a manufactory for screen doors, a feed mill, a large number of retail establishments, telegraph and express offices and an international money order postoffice with five rural routes. The population in 1910 was 639. The town was founded in 1871 by a town company. A postoffice had been established the year before, with Thomas Jones as the first postmaster. Very little progress was made during the first years on account of a dispute between the people and the railroad over the title to the lands. Prior to 1877 the town was known as Glenwood, but the name was changed by the act of March 3, 1877, to correspond to the name of the postoffice. Tl-e lirst newspaper, the Walnut Journal, was established in 1881.

No comments: