Thursday, November 1, 2012

Clinton Kansas.

Clinton Kansas, 1883.
Clinton is situated on rolling prairie, between Rock Creek and the Wakarusa, about nine miles southwest of Lawrence. The first settlement was made here in June, 1854, by John A. Beam, N. Alguire and M. Albin. Later, a Mr. Spradling, Lyman Sawyers, L. H. Boughton, and G. W. Umberger moved into this vicinity.
Clinton Post Office.
The post office was established at Bloomington about a mile east of Clinton, July 11, 1855, Harrison Burson being appointed first Postmaster. This post office was discontinued and one established at Clinton, August 30, 1858, with J. A. Beam, Postmaster. A store was opened by Mr. Beam, in June, 1854, on the north side of the public square. In 1858, Clinton was a prominent contestant for the county seat.

Bloomington post office open July 11, 1855 and ran to August 30, 1855.  This office was serviced out of Glass county Missouri.  Prior to regular mail service in the Kansas Territory.  Name changed to Clinton.  Clinton post office open August 30, 1858 and ran to November 30, 1927.
Douglas County.
Clinton Township Map, 1902.
Clinton can be found on the county map at Township 13-South and Range 17, 18 & 19-East.  On the township map Clinton can be found in sections 22 & 23.
Clinton Kansas, 1912.

Clinton, one of the early settlements of Douglas county, is located in the valley of the Wakarusa river, 9 miles southwest of Lawrence and about 7 miles northeast of Richland, the nearest railroad station. The first settlement near the site of the village was made in June, 1854. The following year a postoffice was established about a mile east of the present town, at a place called Bloomington, but on Aug. 30. 1858, it was removed to Clinton, J. A. Bean becoming the first postmaster. Mr. Bean had opened a store on the north side of the public square in 1854 and by the time the postoffice was established several other general stores had been opened, houses erected and the town became so prosperous that it was a prominent contestant for the county seat. The Presbyterians perfected an organization in the town in 1860 and five years later erected a church edifice. No railroad has ever reached the town and it has not lived up to the great expectations of the early days.
At the present time it has good churches, a school, several stores, a blacksmith and wagon shop, a money order postoffice. and in 1910 had a populatio of 83.

No comments: