South Haven, one of the incorporated towns of Sumner county, is located in South Haven township, at the junction of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and the Kansas Southwestern railroads, 14 miles south of Wellington, the county seat. It has a milling company, a bank, numerous retail establishments, telegraph and express offices, and an international money order postoffice with three rural routes. The town was founded in 1872, and the postoffice established that year. The first
postmaster and also the first store-keeper was F. F. Meister. The rail road reached South Haven in 1879 and the town company was formed that year.