Thursday, November 29, 2012

Urbana Kansas.

Neosho County
Chetopa Township, map, 1906.
On the county map Urbana can be found in Township 29-south and Range 17-east.  On the township map Urbana can be found in sections 1 & 2.
Urbana Post Office.
Urbana post office open May 2, 1870 and ran to May 3, 1957.  First postmaster Reuben F. Truman.
Urbana, Kansas, 1883.
Urbana is a small town in the western part of Neosho County, about nine miles south of Chanute on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. The town was founded by Dr. Peters and a few other settlers living in the vicinity. Up to August, 1870, it contained two stores and a few residences. At this time Samuel Crawford, D. B. & W. C. Emmert, McCullough and some others took interest in the town. The site was re-surveyed and everything made ready for its upbuilding.Circumstances however, did not favor the place, which has made but slight progress, and remains with but little increase in size over what it was in 1870.

Business men who used Urbana as their P. O. address as of 1906.

D. L. Swan, General Store.
C. C. Yockey, Farmer.
Urbana Kansas, 1912.
Urbana, a village of Neosho county, is located in Chetopa township on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas R. R., 10 miles west of Erie, the county seat. It has express and telegraph offices and a money order postoffice. The population in 1910 was 85. The town was founded by Dr. Peters, and replatted in 1870 by some parties who believed it had a great future. This little town is credited with more volunteers in the Spanish-American war than any other town of its size in the county.

No comments: