Wednesday, February 27, 2013
High Point Township Map, 1906.
On the county map Riverside can be found in township 20-south and range 22-west. On the township map Riverside can be found in sections 19 -20.
Riverside Post Office.
Riverside post office open February 18, 1879 and ran to April 30, 1920. First postmaster was Mrs. Elvira Williamson.
Riverside Kansas, 1887.
A nice little hamlet just eight miles east of Harold and fifteen miles southi ast of Ness City. Riverside has a delightful location too, and from its smooth elevated plateau, looks out upon one of the loveliest valley views in the country. The clear, swift waters of the Pawnee flow hard by the town and the water supply is exceptionally fine. Building stones and sand are abundant and equal in quality to any in the country. The tributary farm country is fair and fertile as an oriental garden, and the neighboring farmers raised the best corn crops in the county this year. '1 lu-v always raise good crops here. Many of the farmers are Germans and ihey handle their lands like men who loved and revered the noble calling of Cincinnati. They are men of all work ana no play and are growing rich in lands, nice cozy stone homes, barns and sheds and thrifty oichards, groves and live stock. Riverside has a neat little hotel kept in capital shape by Mrs. H. C. Williamson, an intelligent and estimable Massachusetts lady, who likes the country because it has renewed her health. The pioneer merchant, Mr. J. B. Whitley, began general trade here in 1885, two years before the town was laid out, and has built up a large and prosperous business. He came from Brooklyn, N. Y., is a bright business man and a close observer, and believes in a fine out come for the country.
Jessie Horton, used Riverside as his P. O. address in 1906, he was a farmer and Stock Raiser, came to the county in 1880.
Riverside Kansas, 1912.