Peter Johnson. The first store was built in 1869 by J. R. Sandel. The building was 8 feet square and the goods invoiced $125. This was also the first store in Republic county. The first American flag to be raised in Kansas was raised by Capt. Pike near the site of Scandia in 1806. (See Pike's Expedition.)
Scandia was an important trading point in the early days, being in the line of the shortest route to the homestead country from Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska. It had the only ferry on the upper Republican and stage lines daily from Hanover, tri-weekly from Waterville, Junction City and Jewell, and weekly from White Rock and Solomon. Some of the early business men were L. C. Hanson, hotel ; Wilson Bros., general store; Amos Coyle, drugs and groceries; A. T. Miller, groceries and provisions. The first railroad was the Missouri Pacific running north and south, which reached Scandia in 1878. The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific runs through Scandia east and west. The census of 1910 gave Scandia 579 inhabitants. It has five churches, 2 banks, a weekly newspaper (the Journal), telegraph, telephone and express offices, and a money order postoffice with three rural routes. The Kansas Gazetteer for 1909 lists 80 business and professional men in Scandia. It is a shipping point for grain, live stock and other farm products.