Rock Creek Township Map, 1899.
Meriden Kansas, 1912.
Meriden, a little town of Jefferson county, is located at a point near the west line of the county where two branches of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. diverge, and 17 miles west of Oskaloosa, the county seat. It is an incorporated city of the third class with a weekly newspaper (the Ledger), banking facilities, high school and city library, telegraph and express offices, and a money order postoffice with three rural routes. Meriden was platted in 1872 on land owned byAlbert Owens. The first building was a section house, the next a small struct- ure erected by N. Colby. The first dwelling was built by Dr. A. Dawson. After three close elections the township voted $20,000 in bonds to the railroad for a depot, which was built in 1873. The first store was opened in that year by William and Perry Riggs. The postoffice was established in 1872. The first marriage was between Dr. A. Dawson and Miss Dantie Graydon in 1872, and the first birth was that of A. A. Dawson in 1874. The first death was that of George W. Riggs in the same year.