Jewell, an incorporated cit}' of Jewell county, is located in Buffalo township, on the Missouri Pacific R. R. and on Buffalo creek, 8 miles south of Mankato, the county seat. It has banking facilities, flour mills, grain elevators, electric lights, weekly newspapers, telegraph and express offices, and a money order postoffice with five rural routes. The population in 1910 was 839. The railroad name is Jewell City.
Jewell is one of the older settled communities in the county. Among the first settlers were W. D. Street, Benjamin Lewis, Charles Lewis and L. M. Stultz in 1869, and James A. Scarborough, Henry Sorrick, A. J. Davis and H. Burnett in 1870. The first store was opened by James A. Scarborough in June, 1870, with a stock that invoiced $130. In the fall John D. Robertson of Lake Sibley opened a general store. The firm of Scarborough & Street handled most of the real estate. The town was incorporated' as a city of the third class in 1880, with H. C. Jennings as the first mayor.