Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Fawn Creek, Fawn, Tyro, All one Kansas Town.
Fawn Creek Township Map, 1881.
On the county map Fawn Creek can be found in Township 35-south and Range 15-east. On the township map Fawn Creek can be found un section 6. By 1916 the town ship map shows that Tyro moved a mile north and is now in section 31.
Post Office History.
Fawn Creek post office open September 5, 1870 and ran to January 15, 1886. First Postmaster was Legrand Sherman name changed to Fawn. Fawn post office open January 15, 1886 and ran to November 18, 1893. First Postmaster was George Brown, name changed to Tyro. Tyro post office open October 18, 1893 and ran to ?, First Postmasster was Mrs Adda Dillehay.
People of Montgomery County who used Fawn Creek as their P. O. address as of 1881.
Benjamin Tinkle, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1878.
A. D. Melander, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Sweden, came to county 1870.
G. F. Powers, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from New York, came to county 1867.
Mrs. B. Keller, Farmer and Stock Raiser, From Indiana, came to county 1876.
D. W. Keller, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1876.
Charles Keller, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1876.
John Keller, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1876.
J. P. Rood, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Illinois, came to county 1871.
John Jordan, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Indiana, came to county 1869.
A. J. Brown, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Sweden, came to county 1872.
Owen T. Romig, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1870.
L. G. Sherman, Physician, from New York, came to county 1870.
A. Hoffman, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1870.
L. Hiteshew, Farmer and Stock Raiser and Blacksmith, came to county 1871.
Civil War Soldiers of Montgomery County who's P. O. address was Fawn Creek as of 1883.
S. A. Barcus, First Indiana, Hervy Artillery, Co. D.
G. W. Brown, Minn.
John Churchtown, 15th., Ohio, Co, G.
G. R. Copeland, 151st., Indiana, Co. A.
J. E. Cribbs, 51st., Ohio, Co. A.
T. L. Dewitt, 75th., Indiana, Co. H.
I. L. Finnicum, 5th., Kansas Cavalry, Co. E.
J. Warren Frazier, 3rd., Ohio, Co. E.
John Jordan, 25th, Illinois, Co. F.
James Lenhart, 49th., Indiana, Co. C.
W. A. Parks, 42nd., Wis. Co. F.
William Potts, 155th., Illinois, Co. A.
J. M. Smith, 154th., Indiana, Co. E.
A. E. Tumicliff, 3rd., Wis. Cavalry, Co. C.
Tyro Kansas, 1903.
Among the villages of the county Tyro occupies a front rank, with a hundred buildings of all kinds and about two hundred people. It was laid out in the fall of 1886. When Denver, Memphis & Atlantic railroad was built in the south part of the count, and has been a station on that line ever since.
Joseph Lenhart was founder of the town and laid it out. He and William Chambers moved in the spring of 1887 on the town site from a quarter of a mile south. Lenhart establishing a general store near the depot, and Chambers locating his hotel in the same vicinity. Lenhart store has ever since been the largest mercantile establishment of the place.
There are now four other stores, a lumber yard, meat market, barber shop, restaurant, feed mill, livery stable, and three Blacksmiths shops. There are also two Physicians, three or four grain byers, carpenters, painters and other merchandics.