Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lost Springs, Kansas

Lost Springs, Kansas.
Marion County.
Clear Creek Township Map, 1885
On the county map Lost Springs can be found in Township 17-south and Range 4-east.  On the Township map Lost Springs can be found in section 21.
Lost Springs Post Office.
Lost Springs Post Office open July 9, 1879 and ran to ?  First Postmaster was Benjamin Slagg, Second Postmaster was M. F Shupe. 
The above information is for when Lost Spring post office was established as a U. S. Post Office.  The very first post office was in 1859, when Jack Costello won Lost Springs in a Porker game, and put up a store with a post office with him as postmaster.  Of course this was in the time when Lost Springs was just a dot on the map and not a real town. 
Prople of Clear Creek township who used Lost Spring as their P. O. address as of 1885.
S. D. Hyson, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Hopkins county, New York, came to county April, 1884.
B. Hunsparger, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Waterloo county, Canada, came to county April, 1880.
A. M. Nettrover, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Elkhart county, Indiana, came to county March, 1884.
Albert Peck, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Mason county, Illinois, came to county June, 1879.
M. F. Shupe, Postmaster, Farmer, Merchant and land ag't, from Canada, came to county April, 1879.
W. J. Weaver, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Pennsylvania, came to county December, 1876.
M. F. Ehms, Farmer and Stock Raiser, Clark Township, P. O., Lost Springs, from Arkansas, came to county September, 1884.
Lost Springs, 1912
Lost Springs, one of the historic points in Marion county, is an incorporated town located in Lost Springs township, on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific and the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroads 18 miles north of Marion, the county seat. It has a bank, telegraph and express offices, and a money order postofifice with two rural routes. All the regular lines of business activity are represented, and one of the largest mills in this section of Kansas is located here. There is a hotel and livery stable for the accommodation of travelers. According to the census of igro there were 276 inhabitants.

The springs for which the town was named, a noted camping place on the Santa Fe trail, are about 2 miles west of the depot. Many explanations have been given as to why they were called Lost Springs, none of which are authentic enough to bear repetition. These springs were known to the earliest travelers on the trail, and this was a camping point. The first historical mention of this place was by Josiah Gregg in his work, "Commerce of the Prairies," written in 1845. In his table of distances he places it 175 miles west of Independence, and 15 miles west of Diamond Springs, the previous stopping place. A trading post was established there in 1859 by J. H. Costello and a partner, Joshua Smith, who six months afterward sold out to Costello. Some lime during the Civil war a detachment of soldiers was ordered up from Mississippi to guard the Santa Fe trail, and Corporal Fred Sucksdorf, with a few men, was stationed at Lost Springs. In igo8 a large granite boulder was set up to mark the trail at Lost Springs. The usual inscription was cut on the stone and a fitting ceremony attended the occasion. In 1904 the town of Lost Springs was incorporated as a city of the third class.

No comments: