|Pictures published 1882.|
Push any picture to enlarge.
Palmer is now a village of about 200 people, containing, besides the Methodist Episcopal Society, referred to, a French Catholic Church, organized in 1879 by Louis Ray and others. Father Molier was their pastor. They built a church the same year, and have now a society of some thirty. The present pastor is Father R. A. Hoffman. Rev. J. S. Horner is pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The village has a good district school.
The business of Palmer is represented by five general stores, an elevator, a lumber-yard, an agricultural implement depot, two blacksmith shops, and one hardware store. The traveling public are accommodated by two hotels -- the Palmer House and the Central House. The latter was built by W. J. Cook in 1879, and is kept by Francis Nadeau, the postmaster. The Palmer House has just been opened.
Palmer, a town in Washington county, is located in Sherman township on the Missouri Pacific R. R., 14 miles southwest of Washington, the county seat. It has a bank, an opera house, a weekly newspaper (the Index), telegraph and express offices, and a money order post office with two rural routes. The population in 1910 is given as 400.