Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Lieutenant Colonel Francis M. Hills and HIll.

Picture publish date 1903.
Francis M. Hills.

Birth: June 15, 1829.
Death: April 16, 1915.

Wife: Annie Hills (1849-1935 ).

Children: Gilbert P., Albert M., William H., Carl F., Genevieve G., Violette G., Hazel E. and Minnie A. Hills Smith.

Burial: Cedar Vale Cemetery, Cedar Vale, Chautauqua County, Kansas.

Mr. Hills came to Chautauqua County, Kansas, in 1872, and settled in Cedar Vale, Kansas, where he had a Hardware business ( Hills & Bordette ), in 1884 was Cedar Vale, first Mayor.  In 1899, he sold his business.  In 1903 he was living in Cedarvale, Kansas as a retired merchant.

Push pictures to enlarge.

Note.  He was also known as Francis, Frances and Frank Hills.

Pennsylvania State Records.

Francis M. Hill ( Hills ), Lt. Colonel, 45th, Pennsylvania Infantry, Field & Staff, Mustered in October 18, 1861, for  3 years.  Promoted from Captain Company I to Lt. Colonel, March 1, 1863; discharged on Surgeon's Certificate, August, 1864

From The 45th., Regimental History.

Francis M. Hills was born in Hebron, Conn., June 15th, 1829. His military career commenced at the age of 17, at which time he enlisted in a company that was being recruited by Captain James Caldwell at Newton-Hamilton, Pa., which company afterward became Company M, Second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and marched from Vera Cruz to the City of Mexico, a distance of 300 miles ; was engaged in the battles of National Bridge, Chapiltepec and the  taking of the City of Mexico, and was discharged in May, 1848, by reason of an injury received in the latter engagement.

Francis M. Hills came to Wellsboro in 1856, and was engaged in business until the summer of 1861, when in response to the President's call for more volunteers, he made the attempt to raise a company, devoting his whole time and energy to that purpose, and was so successful that on the 30th day of September, 1861. he left Wellsboro for Harrisburg with about 60 men.

He was commissioned captain by Governor Curtin and sworn into service October 18th, 1861, for three years or during the war.

The company now became Company I of the Forty-fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Colonel Thomas Welsh.

The first engagement in which the captain participated was on James Island, S. C, when with a portion of Companies H and I, he repulsed a regiment known as the Georgia Tigers.

A few days later Captain Hills received a letter from Lieutenant Colonel James A. Beaver, which speaks for itself :

"Headquarters Outposts, Grahams, S. C, June 22d, 1862.


I have been very much gratified in hearing the account of the heroic conduct of Company I, as also of Company H, in the late important movements on James Island.

I feel peculiarly gratified with the conduct of Company I because I had been so intimately associated with it for so long.

I have not changed my opinion of it, however, in the least, for I had always regarded it as second to none in the regiment for material and it was rapidly improving in drill and discipline before it left here.

The intelligence of the death of Sergeant Dartt, which I have just received through Lieutenant Gregg, pains me exceedingly. He was a brave and faithful officer and will be much missed in your Commissary Department.

Please remember me to Lieutenant Ackley and the boys.

Very respectfully yours,

(Signed) James A. Beaver."

Captain Hills was also engaged in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam and Fredericksburg subsequently, and of many others.

He was commissioned lieutenant colonel of the Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry by Governor Curtin, March 1st, 1863; went with the regiment to take part in the siege of Vicksburg, and commanded the regiment in the battles of Jackson, Campbells Station, siege of Knoxville, Blue Springs, Wilderness, Spottsylvania and Cold Harbor.

He was disabled before reaching the front at Petersburg and up to that time was in every battle and skirmish in which the regiment was engaged. He resigned about September 15th, 1864, on account of disability, and returned to Wellsboro, Pa., being engaged in buying horses for the government. In 1865 he removed to Titusville, and in 1872 went to Kansas, where he soon became one of the most useful and prosperous citizens of the community in which he resided. Now while he is waiting for the summons to the last roll call he can lay down his armor with the consciousness that he has nobly performed his duty both as a citizen and a soldier of this Grand Republic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lt. Colonel Francis M. Hills was my great-grandfather. I spent this morning with my 88 year old mother trying to find out as much as I could about him. We have some history, but not all. Thank you for writing this. It will add to what we are learning about him.