|Picture publish date 1902.|
Push to enlarge.
Peter Anton Hartig.
Birth: Mar. 23, 1823.
Death: Jan. 22, 1902, Douglas County, Kansas.
Wife: Franziska Hartig.
Children: Lostier, John, Thracie, Frank, Barbara and Emil Hartig.
Burial: Holy Family Cemetery, Eudora, Douglas County, Kansas.
Mr. Hartig came to Douglas county in 1857, and settled in Eudora, Kansas where he was a Cabinet maker.
Capt. Peter Hartig, an original townsman of Eudora in 1865, donated an acre of land for Holy Family Catholic Cemetery. It furnishes a last resting place for the doner, who was instantly killed by the Santa Fe California Flyer, less than 200 feet from his home, when he was crossing the tracks on his way up town to do some shopping. Mr. Hartig's hearing was impaired and he did not hear the danger whistles of the engineer nor the noise of the fast approaching train and before he could cross the track was struck by the engine and his body was hurled into the air at which it skidded 25 feet more through the snow. (from the history of Holy Family Cemetery by Will Stadler)
EUDORA.The city of Eudora is pleasantly located on a gradually ascending slope, stretching back on the south bank of the Kansas or Kaw River, near the junction of the Wakarusa. Situated as it is, seven miles east of Lawrence, twenty-eight miles southwest of Leavenworth, and thirty-three miles west of Kansas City, Mo., on the line of the A., T. & St. Fe Ry., its location as a trading point is excellent, which is proven by its being the second city in the county in point of population and trade. Eudora was settled and is surrounded by that class of citizens, who are known the world over for their thrift and capacity in promoting a substantial growth in a new country - the Germans.
Early in the summer of 1856, an association, composed of prominent Germans, was organized at Chicago, Ill., under the name of the "Neuer Ansiedlungs Verein," with the prime object of making a settlement at some point in the great West. Organizing with fifty members, the association rapidly grew until it numbered over 600 stockholders. In March, 1857, a location committee, consisting of H. Heimann, F. Barteldes and C. Schleifer, were appointed to go West and look up a location, preparatory to the location of a town site. After looking through various parts of Missouri and Kansas, the present town site of Eudora was decided upon. A tract of 800 acres was secured from the Shawnee Indians through Pascel Fish, their chief, who was to receive every alternate lot. The town site of 800 acres was laid off, and named "Eudora," in honor of the chief's daughter.
On the return of the committee, it was decided to at once colonize the place. Sixteen members, who represented different trades and professions, were elected by the association and sent out under the leadership of P. Hartig, for that purpose. Following are the names of this hardy band of pioneers: P. Hartig, J. Fischer, J. Schiesgroohl, J. Leoterle, A. Herling, J. Schoartz, G. Buttner, A. Schirrner, M. Marthey, Fred Deirhmann, A. Veroh, C. Epple and wife, G. Kerg, C. Maxilius, Anton Goethhes, H. Baserman. The expenses of the party were paid by the association. Seven other members came out with the party, but paid their own expenses. The party left Chicago April 11, 1857, and arrived at their destination, April 18, 1857, and commenced erecting rude log buildings and making other crude improvements. Thus was formed the first settlement of Eudora.
At the first regular election, held in March, 1859, the following gentlemen were elected to represent the city government: Mayor, F. Faerber; Councilmen, A. Summerfield, M. Marthey, P. Hartig, Aug. Cieseniss, and P. Hoppenan; Justice of the Peace, F. Schowarte; Marshal, F. Soelte; Treasurer, Charles Achning; Clerk (by appointment), F. Schowarte.