Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Miltonvale Kansas.

Miltonvale Kansas.
No Date Given.

The city of Miltonvale, situated in the southeast corner of the county, in Starr township, section 20, town 8, range 2, was founded by Milton Tootle of St. Joseph, Missouri, who owned the townsite and in whose honor the place was named. Tootletown was first suggested, and Tootleville, but Miltonvale seemed more pleasing and was subsequently adopted. Mr. Tootle gave every other lot to the railroad. The original plat was eighty acres, followed shortly afterward by another eighty, and there have been some additions since. The population of the town is about four hundred and fifty inhabitants. The city owes its origin to the railroad bonds issued by the township to the amount of ten thousand dollars, for securing the narrow guage railroad, then called the Kansas Central and which ran from Leavenworth, Miltonvale being the terminus. About thirteen years ago the road was changed to a standard gauge and is now under the control of the Union Pacific.

C. E. McDaniel and J. W. Mathews were the first to erect buildings and opened stocks of general merchandising and groceries, respectively. The township voted $13,000 and the city $7,000 in railroad bonds in 1889. and secured a line of the Santa Fe. The town was made a city of the third class in 1883 and C. E. McDonald was its first mayor. Miltonvale was at one time a city of eight hundred and forty-five population. The Santa Fe gave it better shipping facilities, but the building up of other towns in close proximity has been a detriment to the growth of Miltonvale. It has also been retarded by disastrous fires. A flourishing mill was once operated there. It burned to the ground in 1886. There was no fire company and the people were compelled to stand with folded arms and witness the destruction of one of their best properties.

Miltonvale Kansas.
Date Not Given.

Prior to the birth of Miltonvale, Wilson Mathews was postmaster at Star Center. The office was in the building with his stock of goods at that point, which constituted about all there was of Star Center. When the new town sprung up Mr. Mathews moved his store into Miltonvale and became the first postmaster there. He resigned the following summer and C. M. Phelps was appointed, but when a change of administration took place H. P. Flora was placed in charge and served through Ex-President Cleveland's first term. I. E. Dawes succeeded Mr. Flora when President McKinley was elected. L. O. S. Clary was commissioned to serve under Cleveland's second: administration but resigned before his term expired and the post office was removed to the store of B. E. Hubbell and remained under his supervision until the second election of President McKinley, when Dr. James Hall received the appointment. The office was conducted by James Hall, Jr., and Miss Charlotte Hall to the entire satisfaction of the public for four years. Another son, Bruce Hall has succeeded to Miss Hall's place and the popularity of the office continues under the efficient management of these young men.

Zahnville Post Office open on April 14, 1873, then moved to Miltonvale and open it's doors on April 6, 1882.

Miltonvale newspapers have had a varied and checkered career, as will be seen in the resume of Cloud county newspapers on page 172. The Miltonvale Record, until recently edited by J. V. Honey, has been purchased by A. B. Swift. His daughter, Miss Zella Swift, is local editor, while Ed Hill, formerly of Concordia, is manager of the mechanical department.

Miltonvale ships more cattle than any point in the county and the pasture land in this locality brings better returns for grazing purposes than farming. Miltonvale not only has a good school building but employs an efficient corps of teachers.

The churches, as shown in the accompanying engraving, are a credit to the people of the town. All lines of business are represented and all the secret and social orders are found there. The city draws trade from a wide area of country, west to Meredith, north to St. Joseph, and east and south for several miles beyond the limits of Cloud County into Clay and Ottawa counties.

Business Men of Miltonvale, 1885.

Abraham Filion, Section 30, Blacksmith, from Germany, came to county 1870.

M. B. Horn, Section 35, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Iowa, came to county 1874.

John Horn, Section 34, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Iowa, came to county 1882.

John Kircher, Section 35, Farmer ans Stock Raiser, from Wisconsin, came to county 1872.

Ira Angelo, Section 20, Farmer and Stock Dealer, from Illinois, came to county 1872.

George Austill, Section 17, Farmer and Stock Dealer, from Ohio, came to county 1873.

A. J. Blackwood, Section 20, Attorney-at-law, from Ohio, came to county 1883.

A. Covey, Section 11, Farmer and Stock Raiser ans Surghum Manf., from Maryland, came to county 1873.

N. H. Eaves, Section 20, Prop. Commercial House, Illinois, came to county 1865.

A. B. Fry, Section 34, Farmer and Stock Raiser, from Ohio, came to county 1873.

S. V. Fairchild, Section 20, Physician and Surgeon, from New York, came to county 1880.

G. Kuhnle, Section 20, Dealer in General Merchandise, from Germany, came to county 1883.

S. C. Lanoue, Section 20, Prop. Livery, Feed & Sale Stable, from Illinois, came to county 1869.

John M. Miller, Section 20, Clerk, from Illinois, came to county 1873.

H. G. McDonald, Section 20, Land, Loan and Insurance, from Illinois, came to county 1876

A. H. Neal, Section 20, Dealer in General Merachandise, from Tenn., came to county 1880.

R. S. Phelps, Section 30, Farmer and Carpenter, from Penn., came to county 1874.

Charles Proctor, Section 20, Druggist, from Illinois, came to county 1876.

C. M. Phelps, Section 20, Post Master, from Ohio, came to county 1882.

Judson Remington, Section 20, Prop. Livery, Feed & Sale Stable, from Penn., came to county 1883.

Dempster Scott, Section 20, Druggist, from Michigan, came to county 1870.

A. A. Stowe, Section 20, Banker, from Penn., came to county 1881.

Charles Stock, Section 20., Land, Loan and Insurance, from Germany, came to county


E. D. Smith, Section 20,  Land, Loan and Insurance, from Canada, came to county 1884.

S. G. Winters, Section 24, Farmer and Fruit Grower, from New York, came to county 1871.

Phil. Young, Section 2o, Furniture Deales, from Germany, came to county 1884.

If you would like to see the map of this Township take this link.

No comments: