However, the son had special tastes and inclinations of his own. For eight years he acted as manager of the John Jeffrey Estate, consisting of extensive land and stock interests, and for another two years he was in the livery business at Sheridan, Michigan. From early boyhood he had been interested in stock, and his early experiences fortified him in the resolution to become a veterinarian. He did his preliminary reading and study with Dr. A. J. Chandler of Detroit. He then entered the Ontario Veterinary College at Toronto, Canada, where he was graduated veterinary surgeon in the spring of 1886.
For the following year he practiced in association with his former preceptor at Detroit. Then in May, 1887, nearly thirty years ago, Doctor Pritchard located in Topeka and his ability and skill gradually became recognized throughout the country districts surrounding that city. For twenty-seven years he actively practiced his profession, and besides his large private clientage he was appointed to many of the delicate and important responsibilities of larger service to the state.
In 1914 Doctor Pritchard bought a tract of 200 acres six miles south of the city on Topeka Avenue. There he owns one of the finest country residences in the entire state. It is equipped with every modern convenience and the surroundings are such as to constitute a model country estate. Having retired from the active practice of his profession he is now free to devote his attention to farming and stock, and is especially interested in the breeding and raising of thoroughbred Holstein cattle. He also has other livestock and has a well developed and thoroughly proportioned farm.
In 1889 Doctor Pritchard married Miss Mary Charles of Hutchinson, Kansas. She died in 1912. In 1913 he married for his present wife Mrs. Lavina (Zimmerman) Sampson. Doctor Pritchard is a republican in politics.