|Bellefont railway section house..|
Taken 1931, push to enlarge..
The post office was officially established on April 30,1878; the postmaster appointed on that date, however, declined the position and never served.John A. Cline Postmaster 05/20/1878.
Bellefont Post office opened April 30, 1878 and ran to August 31, 1896 closed and reopened June 11, 1904 and ran to June 28, 1957. First postmaster was John A. Cline ( June 11, 1904.).
Bellefont, Kansas was founded by Major John A. Cline, who came to Ford County, Kansas, in 1878 and settled in section 18 of Wheatland township, he owned 153. 55 acres. In BEllefont he was the post master and dealer in General Merchandise.
Mr. Cline was a Civil War veteran, being in the Pennsylvania 155th., Infantry, CO. K.
Captain mustered in September 11, 1862. Promoted to Major January 23, 1865, Gun shot wound in the left hand and left shoulder.