Men of the Civil War.
Ninth Kansas Cavalry.
Private, Quiett James H., residence Hartford, Enlisted Sept. 9, 61, Mustered in June 30, '63. Mustered out Nov. 21, 1864, Leavenworth, Kan
Private, Campbell Thomas, residence Hartford, Enlisted April 18, '62, Mustered in June 30, '63. Promoted Corporal September 25, 1864. Assigned to new Co. A. Sergeant, Mustered out April 11, 1865.
Private, Bacon Levi L., residence Hartford, Enlisted Aug. 27, '62, Mustered in June 30, '63. Assigned to new Company A. Mustered out June 24, 1865.
Private, Armstrong Andrew J., residence Hartford, Enlisted Aug. 8, '61, Mustered in Aug. 8, '61. Promoted 1st Sergeant. Promoted Captain 1st Kansas Colored Infantry Co. C., March 21, 1863. Mustered out with reg. Oct. 1, '65.
Private, McGinnis Harrison L., residence Hartford, Enlisted Oct. 15, '62, Mustered in Dec. 31, '62, Assigned to new Company D. Mustered out July 16, 1865, DeVall's Bluff, Ark.
Private, Benedict Elisha, residence Hartford, Enlisted March 2, '62, Mustered in March 2, '62. Died of camp fever, Fort Scott, Kan., Sept. 3, '62.
Private, Benedict Walter F., residence Hartford, Enlisted Sept. 8, '61, Mustered in Sept. 8, '61. Discharged by Medical Examining Board Maly 21, 1864, Leavenworth, Kan.
Sergeant McGinnis James A., residence Hartford, Enlisted Oct. 15, '62, Mustered in Oct. 31, '62. Assigned to a new Company D. Promoted 1st Lieut. 70th U. S. C. T. May 15, '65.
The Town of Hartford Kansas.
Hartford is located in the beautiful valley of the Neosho, sixty miles (airline) south of Topeka, and sixteen miles southeast of Emporia, on the Missouri Pacific Railway. Surrounded by large, well- cultivated farms and stock ranges, with its favorable location, and natural advantages, it has during the past few years grown from a slumbering hamlet to a live business town, with a population of five hundred inhabitants.
In the spring of 1858, a town association was organized, and composed of H. D. Rice and A. K. Hawkes, of Hartford, Conn.; H. W. Martin, E. Quiett, and others. The town site, which was called by its present appellation, was named at the instance of Messrs. Rice and Hawkes, after their native place. In the fall of 1858, the site, of 320 acres, was laid off by Judge Graham and D. P. Bond. One-half of the original town site has since been vacated, leaving it - 120 acres - its present size. The first building put upon the town site was a log structure 14x16 feet, which stood on Commercial street, nearly opposite of the Palace Hotel. This building was used as a store, which was kept by C. P. Bassett. The next building was a two-story frame house, erected by Mr. Longley, and used as a dwelling and lodging house. The building which stood in the northeast part of town, remained intact, until 1870, when it was torn down. During the spring and summer of 1859, dwellings were erected by Messrs. Bond, Hunt, Sears, and Robinson.
In the fall of 1859, occurred the death of --- Sears, whose was the first in the little settlement of pioneers. Mr. Longley, who as a member of the town company, erected the second building in town, afterwards went to Lawrence, and was one of the victims of Quantrell's Raid, in 1863. The first marriage was probably that of W. M. McGinnis and Francis Hunt, who were married November 7, 1860, by Rev. I. Harris, a minister of the Baptist persuasion.
The postoffice was established in 1859, and A. K. Hawkes appointed Postmaster. He was succeeded in the order mentioned by E. B. Bassett, W. K. Norbary, S. M. Morgan, S. G. Britten, G. W. Sutton and T. Campbell, the present incumbent. It was made a money order office, July 2, 1877, and now does an annual business of $15,000.
The first school was taught by Mrs. A. K. Hawkes, at her house, in 1860. About this time it was decided by the Methodist Episcopal Conference, that a branch of the Baker University, should be located at this point. The citizens agreed to donate aid in the shape of funds and land, and work was commenced on the building, which was a two-story stone structure, 32x46 feet. After an expenditure of several thousand dollars, the building was partially completed in 1862. In connection with the District School, several terms were taught, after which the "Collegiate Institute" became defunct. The building was then used by the District School until 1877, when a two-story frame building was erected at a cost of $,2000, T. A. Rogan, being the first teacher.
In 1859, E. Quiett commenced to build a frame saw and "corn mill," a few rods above the present grist mills. It was completed in 1861, by J. H. Hunt, who sold his interest to W. K. Norbary, who operated it for about seven years.
Benjamin N. Hunt, of Hartford, relates an incident illustrating the fears and groundless alarms to which the early settlers were frequently subjected. In May, 1861, the rumor prevailed in the settlement adjacent to Hartford that the Indians would, upon a certain day, make a descent upon them and wipe them all out of existence. Upon the day set for this bloody massacre, Mr. Hunt was ploughing in a field, about a half mile from his house. His wife was left at home with her child and young woman "help." The latter saw some Indians approaching with guns, and, hastily picking up the child, ran screaming to the nearest neighbors. Reinforced by them she ran on to the next, until all the neighbors were aroused to the threatened danger. In the mean time, Mrs. Hunt carried the alarm to her husband, who mounted a horse and rode hastily to town. All the men gathered up their guns and started out to reconnoitre the situation. They soon met with some of the Indians in the woods, and as they showed no hostile intent, they were allowed to approach. Without a suspicion that they were the game being hunted, the red men inquired innocently, "Have you killed anything?" It proved to be merely a hunting party, but the alarm was spread as far as Ottumwa, in Coffey County, and men from all directions were before night hastening with what arms they possessed to the aid of the supposed threatened settlement.
Hartford Kansas, 1867.
The population of Hartford was 80.
Trades, Professions, &c.
Britton & Priest----General Store.
Morgan S. M.----General Store.
Norbury William K.----Post Master.
Watson F. W.----Physician.
W. J. F. Hardin----Practical farmer. Breeder of pure breed Berkshirs swine and grower of fine fruits and vegetables.