Tuesday, November 1, 2011

11th., kansas cavalry, Men Of Jefferson County Kan. Page 2.

This is page two of the men of Jefferson county who served in the 11th., cavalry.  These reports will be only those that state the companies and the men of the eleventh cavalry.  This page will be in two parts The first part is of battle reports and General orders.  The second part will be Field notes of Companies A. D. E. F. M.

Page 1. http://kansasoakland.blogspot.com/2011/11/11th-kansas-cavalry-men-of-jefferson.html

Note.  These reports are not in any order They were recorded as I found them.

Battle reports and General orders. 

Numbers 3. Report of Colonel Thomas Moonlight, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, commanding expedition.

Mound City, Kans., June 26, 1864.

In obedience to the following dispatch by messenger, marked A, and also one by telegraph, marked B, I proceeded as directed, by stage, to Paola at 12 m., 14th instant, from thence by special conveyance same night to Olathe, where I arrived at midnight, and made the proper arrangements with the commissary and quartermaster departments, Lieutenant Nichols, Fifteenth Kansas, in charge. Next morning I proceed to Aubrey, where I found the following concentration of troops: Lieutenant-Colonel Hoyt, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, in command; Companies A and D, Eleventh Kansas cavalry, in their proper encampment, Aubrey being their station; Companies I and K, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, from Shawnee Mission and Oxford; Companies F and G, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, from Olathe; Companies B and C, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, from Coldwater Grove and Rockville, and Company L, Fifth Kansas Cavalry, from Camp Clayton. During the day Company F, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, arrived from Potosi; Company B, same Regiment, from this place, making splendid marches, and Company E, same regiiment, from Lawrence, making in all twelve companies, with four mountain howitzers.

As it was necessary to communicate, if passible, with Colonel Ford, commanding sub-district of Missouri, where the bushwhackers were reported, I detached Company K, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, Captain Allen commanding, with instructions to proceed to Raytown and deliver my message to Colonel Ford, reporteed there. I may here say, en passant, that at 10 a. m. 15th, it commenced raining, continuing twenty-four hours. Captain Allen returned at 3 a. m. 16th having marched about 36 miles without meeting Colonel Ford, as he had on the 15th marched to Pleasant Hill, Mo., where I determined to join him early the next day. As suggested by the general commanding this district, to insure safety on the border during my absence with the command, the following companies were left: A and D, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, at Aubrey, Captain Kunkel, Eleventh Kansas, commanding; two howitzers with Company A; Company E, eleventh, at Oxford with two howitzers, Captain Walker commanding; Company L, Fifth Kansas Cavalry, at Camp Clayton, Lieutenant Hadley commanding. these companies had instructions to scout thoroughly the country into Missouri. At noon on the 16th, the command marched in two columns as follows: Companies B, C, F, and G, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Hoyt, with instructions to join Major Pritchard at Raytown and scour the timber hills of the Blue. (See report of Colonel Hoyt regarding his part of the expedition, herewith inclosed.) Companies B, F, I, and K, of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, under my own command, struck the headwaters of the north fork of Grand River and scoured that country thoroughly, part of the command crossing at Morristown and part some 8 miles below.

A portion of the command went through Harrisonville and scouted the timber of Big Creek up to Pleasant Hill, while the other portion went farther north, all arriving at Pleasant Hill by noon, 17th, a distance of about 50 miles. So thoroughly was the country scouted between Pleasant Hill and Kansas, yet without seeing the sing of an enemy, that I am confided no force has been there since growing of grass.

I met Colonel Ford, Second Colorado Cavalry, commanding subdistrict, at Pleasant Hill. My command was warmly received, and their wants promptly attended to. General Brown, commanding district in which we then were, directed Colonel Ford to send me with my command to Hickman Mills, and Colonel Hoyt with his to Little Santa Fe, on the line. Colonel Ford tried to open communication with Colonel Hoyt, but failed, so that he was permitted thereby to give the brush such a raking as it never got before. That night Captain Joy, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, with his company (I), started east to the line of Johnson and Cass Counties, and scouted south as far as east Harrisonville, returning next day up the timber to Hickman Mills.

This scout was to prevent a movement of the enemy into Kansas without my knowledge during my absence. Companies F and K, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, marched for Hickman Mills next morning to wait my return. At 2 in the morning (18th) Colonel Ford, with about 100 Second Colorado Cavalry, a few footmen, and Company B, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, Lieutenant Taber commanding, started for the purpose of intercepting the enemy likely to be driven out by Colonel Hoyt. I accompanied Colonel Ford at his request. We reached Lone Jack at daylight, and proceeded to give the Sni Hills a general inspection.

But few bushwhackers were seen, as it was evident they were leaving for La Fayette and Johnson Counties. We struck a gang of 15 some 5 miles in La Fayette County. A skirmish ensued, without damage on either side. About an hour afterward a gang of 50 was run into by our flanking party; the enemy broke and ran. Company B, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, on the south flank, captured 2 U. S. mules and a U. S. horse, which was proven by Colonel Ford as one of Company M's horses, Second Colorado. He was accordingly given up. The 2 mules are still in the possession of Lieutenant Taber, and will be sent up to the provost-marshal first opportunity.

Lieutenant-Colonel Hoyt joined us that night with his command at Mr. Robinson's, some 5 miles from Sibley, which is one the Missouri River. During that day we marched about 55 miles. From every sign and signal we were all convinced that the bushwhackers were concentrating on Black Water, in Johnson County, and as the border tier of counties were once freed from their sway, I deemed it prudent and right to return as rapidly as possible, which was done, the entire command recrossing the border about noon on the 20th. I remained at Aubrey that night, making the proper disposition of the troops, and returned here on the evening of the 21st.

The entire command started with only five days' hard bread in their saddle-bags, a blanket and overcoat apiece on their horses. This includes the officers from myself down, and while the weather was oppressively warm and the marches long, hazardous, and rough, not a single complaint ever reached my ears. Officers and soldiers seemed to strive and vie with each other in the line of duty. Where all exhibited in a marked degree patriotism, endurance, and gallantry, it is difficult to particularize. To Lieutenant-Colonel Hoytis due much credit for his promptitude and gallantry during the entire expedition, and to his adjutant, Lieutenant Goble, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, who assisted me prior to the division of the command (I had no staff officers). Lieutenant Nichols, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, quartermaster and commissary at Olathe, is deserving of special mention for the deep interest he took in the welfare of the command.

I had nearly forgotten to say that Assistant Surgeon Erikson, Sixteenth Kansas Cavalry, accompanied me on the expedition, heroically enduring every trial and hardship like a true soldier. His instruments and medicines were strapped on a mule, yclept ambulance, and the doctor was at all times on hand administering to the wants of the men, several of whom, had he not been present, would have suffered. He volunteered for the trip and is entitled to more than ordinary credit. the expedition throughout reflects credit on the troops, District and Department of Kansas, and I think the moral effect it had on the bushwhackers will be greater than anything heretofore done. They now feel that we will cross into Missouri when danger threatens our border, and that we will not wait until Kansas is invaded before we strike at them. I would also state that I was cordially through your headquarters by the commissary and quartermaster depot at Paola.

Permit me again to say that Colonel Ford, Second Colorado Cavalry, and his officers are not only entitled to our thanks but gratitude for the soldierly and manly way in which we were treated. Their desire is to co-operate heartily with us in the border troubles. One thing is worthy of notice. Wherever we found settlements there we found of bushwhackers, and vice versa. Around Hickman Mills, Pleasant Hill, and the Sni Hills there are a good many farmers returned under the order of General Brown, all of them bearing protection papers, either from General Brown's headquarters or headquarters Saint Louis. From Westport down the border, say a breadth of 15 or 20 miles, there are but few settlers except around Hickman Mills. If a raid is made into Kansas, so far as my border extends, I think it will be by a concentration on Black Water timber, in Johnson County, and making the march from there during the night, between Harrisonville and Pleasant Hill.

Respectfully submitted.
T. MOONLIGHT, Colonel Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, Commanding.

FORT LARAMIE, DAK. TER., July 9, 1865.
Major General G. M. DODGE,
Department of the Missouri, Saint Louis, Mo.:

Captain Laurant arrived this afternoon. Agent of the Overland Mail Company has withdrawn stock from road between Big Laramie and Halleck, a distance of about seventy-five miles, and refuses to put it on again unless there is a guard of thirty men at each station. The mails will be run through by Government teams. General Connor will not permit them to stop as long as he has a soldier on the road. Company F, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, when ordered up the road by commanding officer Camp Collins, mutinied and refused to go until they were compelled to do so by other troops at that camp. Company B same regiment, offered to assist Company F in the mutiny. General Connor will arrive this evening. He will have everything arranged before he leaves that place.

Respectfully, GEO. F. PRICE, Captain and Acting Assistant Adjutant-General. In absence of general commanding.)

FORT LEAVENWORTH, February 8, 1865-4. 58 p. m.
Major General JOHN POPE,
Commanding Military Division of the Missouri, Saint Louis:

I will start to-morrow and try to be at Milwaukee on the 15th. Please order the following officers and soldiers to join me at that place. They are acting staff officers and clerks that I take, without inconvenience to General Dodge: Major S. S. Curtis, Second Colorado Cavalry; Major C. S. Charlot, assistant adjutant-general; Major R. H. Hunt, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry; Private John W. Boyington, Company C, Third Wisconsin Cavalry; Private M. Cook, Company C, Third Wisconsin Cavalry; Private Edmund Mercer, Company I, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry; Private E. D. Buck, Company G, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry; Private William F. Brown, Company H, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry. Our telegraph line is public, and I wish you would telegraph the order.
S. R. CURTIS, Major-General.
FORT LEAVENWORTH, February 8, 1865.

FORT LARAMIE, July 27, 1865.
Major J. W. BARNES, Assistant Adjutant-General:

One thousand Indians attacked Platte Station on Tuesday; been fighting two days. Lieutenant Collins, Eleventh Ohio Cavalry, and 25 men, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, killed; 9 wounded. Bodies scalped and horribly mutilated. Note picked up on the field to-day, evidently written by a prisoner, who stated that he was captured on the Platte; states that the Indians say that they do not want peace and expect an increase of 1,000 more to their force. They are now three miles west destroying telegraph line. The left column is now en route there; the balance will leave in two days. I start for Plate Bridge myself Saturday. I respectfully ask that something be done to hurry contractors. Ammunition transferred to contractors months since, and of which I am short, has not arrived. I start on my expedition with scant supply of stores and many barefooted horses.

P. E. CONNOR, Brigadier-General.
FORT LARAMIE, August 7, 1865.

HEADQUARTERS, Fort Riley, Kans., June 17, 1864.
Lieutenant D. J. CRAIGIE, Assistant Adjutant-General:

LIEUTENANT: I have the honor to inform you that since my last letter nothing of importance has transpired at this post, with the exception of the sending away a detachment of Company H, Seventh Iowa Cavalry, to Salina and Smoky Hill, and a detachment of Company L, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, to Council Grove, Kans. I sent them out in obedience to an order from General Curtis, ordering one company to Salina and one to Council Grove, but as there were but two companies at the post I only sent those of the companies who were mounted.

I have to report, that Company H, Seventh Iowa, are in need of at least 20 horses, and that requisitions have been sent in before leaving Fort Kearny; also that Company L, of the Eleventh Kansas, are not properly armed or equipped, and not horses enough to mount one-half of the men. The fault is not with the company commanders, as they have sent in requisitions for everything necessary to have their commands properly armed and equipped. I have now 14 men at this post, who in case of attack could make a defense. However, I do not anticipate any trouble in this country either from rebels or Indians.
I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant, D. S. MALVEN, Captain, Seventh Iowa Cavalry, Commanding Post.

HEADQUARTERS, Fort Riley, Kans., May 18, 1864.
Brigadier General T. A. DAVIES,
Commanding District of North Kansas:

In compliance with instructions turned over to me by Captain O. F. Dunlap, Fifteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, late commanding offi-

*Found among General Halleck's papers.

As Offier at this post, I have the honor to submit the following information of interest to the general commanding the district: I assumed command on the 14th instant. A detachment of 20 soldiers, in charge of First Lieutenant Van Antwerp, Company L, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry Volunteers, having previously, at the request of the civil authorities of Davis County, been detailed to assist in arresting citizens charged with murder, returned to this post on the 15th, with 17 citizen prisoners, which were this morning turned over to the civil authorities for trial. I received intelligence to-day that Indians had been committing depredations in the county west of this post. The facts are sufficiently set forth in a copy of an affidavit herewith inclosed. I have sent Lieutenant Clark, Company H, Seventh Iowa Cavalry, and Lieutenant Van Antwerp, Company L, Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, with 30 men, to investigate the matter, and as soon as they report, will advise you of anything of interest that may have transpired.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant, ELISHA HAMMER,
Captain Company G, Seventh Iowa Vol. Cav., Commanding Post.

PAOLA, KANS., August 29, 1864.
Lieutenant-Colonel PLUMB,


The enemy reported by General Pleasonton, 1,000 strong, concentrating around Morristown for a raid into Kansas. Send about of twenty men under an officer from Aubrey,with the same badge on the hats. A like party will start from Coldwater Grove at 3 a.m. to-morrow. Search the timber thoroughly. By instructions from department headquarters order the following enlisted men to report to-morrow to Lieutenant Lewis at Fort Leavenworth, as witnesses on court-martial: Sergts. Samuel B. Ruble, and E. N. Doughty; Privates John McNair, Joseph B. McCall, Joseph Grey, John Bouger, and Sergt. William P. Fuller, all of Company D, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry. Report result of scout as soon as heard from.

T. MOONLIGHT, Colonel, Commanding.

Numbers 82. Report of Colonel Thomas Moonlight, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, commanding Second Brigade.

Paola, Kans., December 15, 1864.

I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by my command during the late campaign against the rebel General Sterling Price:

On the 15th of October, at Hickman Mills, Mo., the Second Brigade was organized as follows: The Eleventh Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry; Companies L and M, Fifth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry; Companies A and D, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Four mountain howitzers were in the Eleventh, manned by Company E. On the 16th the brigade marched into Missouri, in company with the First Brigade (all under Major-General Blunt), in search of Price's army. After having gone in a southeasterly direction as far as Holden, Mo., on the Warrensburg road, our course was changed to Lexington, Mo., which was captured by the Second Brigade on the 18th. Company B, Eleventh, had the advance, and skirmished with some bushwhackers in the streets, killing and wounding several and capturing some prisoners.

Our camp was formed near the college, and it fell to the lot of the Second Brigade to picket the road leading south, and on which Price was advancing. Captain Green, Company B, Eleventh commanded the picket on the Warrensburg road, composed of his own company and Company A, Sixteenth. Captain Palmer, Company A, Eleventh, commanded the picket on the Dover road, composed of his own company and Company F, Eleventh. I am particular in mentioning these facts, because much credit is due these companies for maintaining their position and holding the rebel advance in check as long as they did. When, at the battle of Lexington, on the 19th, a retreat was ordered, the Second Brigade was in the advance and a portion of it dismounted, so that it fell to our lot to cover the retreat. To enable the division to move out it became necessary to face the enemy with every man and use every weapon.

The howitzers here did good service, but on leaving the field the tongue of one of the pieces got broken so that it was necessary to last the timber and piece to other pieces in order to save them, which was done in the very face of the enemy and under his fire. The enemy persistently followed us for several miles, and long after dark we were compelled to fight him on every piece of ground favorable for making a stand. The enemy outnumbered us more than ten to one, so that they were enabled to flank us, as well as press us in the rear, thereby making our position a warm one and giving us lively work.

Every officer and soldier did well and nobly under the most trying of all positions. The retreat was continued all night until 2 next morning. On the same day the division took up position on the west bank of the Little Blue, eighth miles from Independence, and in the afternoon the Second Brigade was left alone to watch the enemy, fight him at the crossing, and burn the bridge. It is proper to state here that the two companies of the Fifth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry were not with the brigade, as they had been left on the border of Kansas to watch the guerrillas, and when the balance of the division was withdrawn from the Little Blue the two companies of the Sixteenth also went, leaving me only ten companies of the Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Cavalry.

Company G of that regiment being escort for Major-General Curtis, and Company L, at Fort Riley, my force being reduced, and the stream being fordable almost any point, it was no easy matter to hold an enemy so numerous and active, all being cavalry. Major Anderson, Eleventh, with two companies, had command of the bridge, which he set on fire and held until it was fairly burning, after which he fell back on the hill and joined the command, who then opened fire on the enemy. Captain Greer, with his company (I, Eleventh), had been stationed at a ford about one mile below the bridge, with instructions to hold the enemy as long as possible. He retired without firing a shot, but claims that it was not possible to do otherwise, as the enemy were crossing at all points.

Being thus menaced on all sides and the object for which I was left accomplished, the command slowly fell back about two miles, fighting. A favorable piece of ground here presenting itself, a new line of battle was formed on the left of the Independence road, and we slowly began to drive the enemy back over the ground again, dismounting every man for the purpose of shelter behind some walls, fences, and houses, some of which were then held by the enemy, who, after a vigorous assault, were dislodged, thus affording us an advantage which accounts for the few killed and wounded on our side, compared with the enemy, who suffered terribly.

The Eleventh Regiment here behaved like old veterans, and gave renewed proof of their fighting qualities, driving an enemy greatly their superior i numbers to the very ground occupied in the morning. By this time General blunt had come up, and other troops were being thrown in on the right to my support. About 200 of the Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, under Lieutenant-Colonel Walker, of that regiment, reported to me and did splendid service on the left. Major Hunt, Fifteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, chief of artillery for Department of Kansas, reported about this time with some mountain howitzers, and rendered such service as only a brave and gallant officer can render.

We thus held the enemy back for hours, a great portion of the time without any ammunition, supplying its place with lusty and defiant cheers. It became necessary to withdraw the command a short distance and take up a new position, as the enemy, ten to one, were flanking us in perfect safety. Shortly after gaining the new position I received orders to withdraw my men and mount. The first movement had to be accomplished in the very face of the enemy, and giving up to them a line of stone walls rendered the movement a dangerous one, and had it not been for the command already referred to, under Colonel Walker, opening a flank fire by my directions, I question much if the retreat would not have been a fatal one and yet it had to be done, as the ammunition train by some mistake was away in the rear, where I joined it, and supplied my command anew.

By this time the entire command had fallen back, and the Second Brigade, as ordered, formed a new line of battalion the east side of Independence. About this time Captain Hunton, with his company (H) of the Eleventh, joined the command. The captain had, by my order the day previous, been sent up Little Blue about four miles to guard a ford and check the enemy, which he did in his usual gallant style, never abandoning his position, although pressed, in a manner isolated, and knowing we were being driven back on his left. The covering of the retreat from this point was given the Second Brigade, and to Companies B and H was the work assigned, under my own supervision.

The enemy wa held for some time at bay. A skirmish was kept up in the streets of Independence and as far as the railroad bridge, when the enemy abandoned the pursuit; it was then dark. We arrived in camp on Big Blue about midnight, where the entire force was concentrated. Throughout the entire engagement on Little Blue I was ably assisted by the field officers of the Eleventh, viz, Lieutenant-Colonel Plumb, Majors Anderson and Ross (the latter had two horses shot under him), as also my adjutant, Lieutenant Taber, together with those already named of other regiments.

The entire command behaved with the utmost coolness and gallantry, commanding officers of companies vieing with each other in the discharge of their duties. I regret to say that in this engagement Captain N. P. Gregg, Company M, Eleventh, received a severe gunshot wound in the right arm which is likely to disable him for life. The captains is one of the best officers in the service and it is to be hoped that he will yet be spared for future fields of operations. At Big Blue, on the 23rd [22nd], the Second Brigade was ordered to hold Simmons' Ford, and report the movements of the enemy.

None coming, and the First Brigade at Byram's Ford retreating, the Second Brigade in double-quick whipped around by Westport and met the enemy on the State line, checked his advance into Kansas, and by the setting of the sun drove him back over into Missouri. The fight continued until dark, after which the pursuit was abandoned, and my command moved up to Shawnee Mission, for the purpose of procuring forage and rations.

It is but to say that the Second Brigade had been so actively engaged for several days that little or no rations had been obtained; yet all were eager for the fight, and determined that Price could only invade Kansas when the little band no longer existed. The battle of the Line, or Big Blue as it is called, was a very pretty one and satisfied my mind that the enemy's cavalry was no match for ours on the prairie. In this fight Company G, of the Eleventh, escort for General Curtis, joined my command on the occasion and participated in the fight, as also the howitzers mentioned as commanded by Major Hunt on Little Blue. A militia force, I think Johnson County, under Lieutenant-Colonel Johnson, was also prevent; another militia force camped with the brigade that night, but I have forgotten what regiment. Several prisoners were captured during the engagement and properly forwarded to the headquarters of Major-General Curtis.

Early on the morning of the 24th [23d] I received orders to supply my command with ammunition and rations and take the right of the line of battle about to be formed a little south of Westport. This was promptly done, and in front of the Second Brigade the enemy were driven back for over a mile after a stubborn resistance. The command on the left had fallen back, so that I was not supported in that direction, allowing the enemy to come up on my flank and deliver a raking fire. To meet this fire and preserve order it was necessary to wheel two squadrons to the left, which was done in fine style by Companies A and I, Eleventh (Lieutenant Drew commanded Company I after the battle of Little Blue).

My command fell back in good order, handsomely protected on the right flank by Lieutenant-Colonel Woodworth, Twelfth Kansas State Militia, who reported to me that morning with a part of the regiment. Colonel Woodworth is deserving of much praise for dashing on the enemy's flank of skirmishers in the manner in which he did. After falling back to Westport I received orders from General Blunt to pass around the right flank of the enemy and keep in between him and Kansas, which were putting. Price to rout the Second Brigade whipped in on the right flank in hot pursuit of that portion of the enemy invading Kansas. At Little Santa Fe my advance company (H, Eleventh, under Captain Huntoon) struck the rear of the enemy and drove him out of Kansas. This was gallantly done and saved that portion of the State from the flames.

The command pushed on that night to Aubrey, where a few hours' rest was obtained, and forage procured. Early next morning we again marched for Coldwater Grove, where we struck the center of the enemy, skirmished awhile,and held him in check as long as possible. Seeing from the route the enemy was taking he must necessarily camp about the Trading Post and that Mound City was danger of being destroyed I pushed on, marching all night, a distance of sixty-five miles; arrived there at 2 a. m. on the 25th. Early in the morning the enemy made his appearance but was quickly driven back and the town saved. About this time I received an order from General Blunt to make for Fort Scott and hold it at all hazards, so that no time was lost, after procuring some rations for my starving command, in striking for that place.

At Fort Lincoln the enemy had possession and disputed our passage. After vainly trying to dislodge him I moved off by the right flank, leaving a battalion to engage his attention until the command crossed the stream above. Arrived in Fort Scott about 4 p. m.; found the place in the most intense excitement. The same evening Generals Curtis and Blunt arrived, and the next morning we again started in pursuit. I would here state that near Coldwater Grove I was joined by the Lyon county Militia under Colonel Mitchell, who accompanied me all the way to Fort Scott, doing excellent service, performing the night march and bearing up under the many trials incident to a camp life with commendable fortitude.

Nothing of importance occurred in the pursuit until the 28th, when General Blunt overtook the enemy at Newtonia, Mo., and drove him from his position. The Second Brigade was deprived of the pleasure of participating in this fight, as instructions had been received to await rations,then forty-eighth hours due. At Newtonia, on the 29th, after returning Neosho, the brigade was joined by Company L, Fifth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, Captain young commanding, who was appointed acting assistant quartermaster and acting commissary of subsistence for the brigade, which position he still retains.

Nothing of importance transpired during the balance of the pursuit via Cassville, Keetsville, Elkhorn, Bentonville, Elm Springs, Fayetteville Prairie Grove, Cane Hill, Dutchtown, and to the Arkansas River, half way between Forts Gibson and Smith. On November the 9th, after the pursuit had been abandoned and the division broken up, the Second Brigade marched for Fort Smith with Major-General Blunt. Remained at Fort Smith awaiting forage and rations until the 19th, when the march was taken up for this place. Arrived at Fort Gibson on the 23d, remained one day to feed hay, marched for Fort Scott. Met on the south bank of Neosho a large supply train going south. Said with it one day, as reports had been received that the rebel Generals Cooper and Gano had crossed the Arkansas River for the purpose of capturing it.

Sent out Major Ross with every horse able to walk to reconnoiter; found no enemy and returned. Marched the following day via the Catholic Mission for grazing purposes in the Neosho bottom. Arrived in Fort Scott December 7. Remained two days to recruit animals; arrived in Paola December 12, having been absent exactly two months. During one-half of this time not more than one-fourth forage could be obtained, so that with the continuous and rapid marches a very great many horses have been abandoned as well as a great many killed in battle.

In conclusion, I desire to call the attention of the department to the uniform gallantry and efficiency of the following named officers, who came prominently under my immediate observation and who behaved themselves throughout the entire campaign in a manner worthy of special mention, viz, Lieutenant-Colonel Plumb and Majors Anderson and Ross, battalion commanders of the Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Cavalry; Surgeon Ainsworth and Assistant Surgeon Adams, Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, in charge of medical department, and Captain Young, Fifth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, acting assistant quartermaster and acting commissary of subsistence from the tim he joined the command.

The campaign was an unusually severe one, marching day and night, with often little or no rations, yet every officer and soldier bore up under the difficulties and hardships without ever grumbling, ever prompt and obedient. To lieutenant and regimental adjutant* Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, my acting assistant adjutant-general I am especially indebted for his zeal, activity, and vigilance, and I earnestly recommend him to the department for promotion in the adjutant-general's department. I cannot close without mentioning the following enlisted men to whom special praise is due for their services on the battle-fields as aides; I had none other, nor could I have had better, viz: Sergt. Major I. H. Isbell, Quartermaster Sergt. W. H. Cowan, Chief Bugler N. D. Horton, all of the Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Cavalry.

These non-commissioned officers well merit promotion. I had forgotten to mention that Lieutenant W. F. Goble, Company L, Fifth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, served in the brigade from the beginning as battalion adjutant for Colonel Plumb and is reported by him as being an officer of uniform good conduct and high standing. The following is a list of casualties during the campaign.+ Forty-five horses were killed and 272 abandoned.
T. MOONLIGHT, Colonel Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, Commanding.

Field Notes of Companies: A. D. E. F. M.

Company A.

Company A, 11, Regiment Kansas Volunteers
Sept. and Oct., 1862
Camp Ewing, Benton County, Arkansas.

Marched from Camp Lyon Leavenworth County Kansas October the 4th 1862. via Fort Scott Ks & Pea Ridge, Arkansas, engaged in battle on the 22d October 1862. At Camp Fort Wayne C. N. camped on the battle ground nine days and left camp Fort Wayne C. N. Oct. 31st '62. En Route and arrived Camp Ewing Benton County Arkansas Oct 31st 1862.

A Co., 11 Kansas Cavalry
May & June, 1865
Fort Halleck, D. T.

The Co. left Platte Bridge D. T. June 14/65 & marched to Fort Halleck,a distance of 225 miles A Detachment of the Co. was in a fight with Indians,May 21/65, near Deer Creek, D T. & lost one man killed & on the 30 of May we had another engagement with Indians. My Co., lost no men.  On the march from Platte Bridge June 15/65, one man kiled by Indians near Camp at Deer Creek.
copist: J. C. Henderson.

Company D.

Company D., 11th Kansas Cavalry
Company October Muster Roll
Dated: September 13, 1865.


This Co. [Company] was mustered into the service of the U. S. as infantry September 13, 1862. Fought the battles of Old Fort Wayne C N [Cherokee Nation], Cane Hill, Prairie Grove, and made a raid on Van Buren, Ark. Marching during the winter and spring of 1863 about 1800 miles. This company Was promoted to Cavalry in the summer of 1863, and was engaged in hunting guerillas on the borders of Arkansas and Missouri until the summer of 1864. In the fall of that year we were engaged in the pursuit of the rebel Gen Price and fought the celebrated battles of Lexington, Little Blue, Big Blue, and West Port MO [Missouri] and Mound City Kans- pursued the rebels to the Arkansas river, destroying their transportation, lost most of our horses from excessive marching and lack of forages and went Seven days with nothing to eat but bacon. I[n] 1865 we were engaged in the persuit [pursuit] of hte Indians in Dakota Territory. Had eight men killed near Platte Bridge D. T. [Dakota Territory] in a fight with 1500 Indians who completely surrounded our forces, suffered greatly for the want of food & lack of forage during the campaign.
Signed by: (?)Dickerson.

Company E.

E Company, 11 Kansas Cavalry
Companay Muster Out Roll
dated Ft Riley Kans August 7, 1865.

Co E 11 K. V. C. was organized and mustered into the service at Fort Leavenworth Kans., on the 13th day of September 1862, and immediately marched to Arkansas. Joining the Army of the Frontier. Participating in the battles of old Fort Wayne, Cane Hill Prairie Grove and Van Buren. In August 1863 by an order from the War Dept the 11th K. V. I. was made Cavalry and served along the border Mo and Kans. participating in the battles of Lexington, Little Blue Big Blue, and Westport.
copist: Griffith.

Company F.

F Company, 11 Kansas Cavalry
In the Field, D. T.

Sergt. Ferguson with twenty men on Scout under Col. Plumb June 4th had an engagement with Indians. Private Bonwell killed. Company left Platte Bridge June 14th 1865 and now enroute to Camp Collins Colorado Teeer. cmpany has been engaged in scouting, escorting etc since last muster No of miles on escort duty 250, No of miles on scouting 300, Chage of station 900.
copist: Daggett.

Company M.

M. Co., 11 Reg't Kan. Cav.
Company Muster Out Roll
dated: Sept. 26, 1865.

The enlisted men of Co. M., 11th Kansas Vol. Cav. were first mustered into Co. "E", same Regt. from the 2nd Jan. 1864, to March 31st 1864 by S. O. No 76 Hd. Irs.(?) Dept of Kansas dated April 18, 1864. All men in Co "E" above the maximum allowed were transferred to Co. 'M' same Reg't April 19 1864. The company officers were mustered, which completed the organization. The company remained at Lawrence, K's, until July 1, 1864, changed station from Paola, KS, a distance of 40 miles, and arrived at said place the morning of the 3rd, changed stations temporarily to Fort Scott, Ks, Sept 28, 1864, and returned Oct 8th marched the distance of 1200 miles. The company remained at Paola, until Oct 12, 1864 when they received orders to join Regt and marched to the Border of Mo., for the purpose of arresting Gen Price's forces which were then entering Kansas. Came up with the enemy Lexington Mo October 12 1864 at which place the company was engaged for some four hours. Retreated with Gen. Blunts Com'd to Little Blue,Mo On the morning of the 21st the enemy came up in force.

The Co was engaged during the entire day. In one charge lost five men killed and six wounded. Were in Battle at Big Blue the 22nd at Battle of Westport 23rd. Marched 75 miles the 24th and participated in Battle of Mound City Ks the morning of the 25th and followed in pursuit of the enemy to Fort Scott, Ks and there remained during the night. The morning of the 26th started in pursuit of the enemy which was continued to the Arkansas River, and returned to paoli Ks the 12th day of Dec, 1864, marching a distance of 1200 miles. Receivd orders to march to Lawrence Ks, Dec 22, and arrived at said place the 24th, a distance of 40 miles. Received orders to march to Fort Riley, Ks, Jan 6,and arived at Post the 11th of Jan., 1865, a distance of 125 miles Marched from Ft Riley Feb 20, and arrived at Platte Bridge, D. T., April 18, a distance of 700 miles. Marched from Platte Bridge, June 5th 1865, and arrived at Point of Rocke Station D. T., July 6, 1865, a distance of 400 miles. Marched from Point of Rocks August 7th and arrived at Fort Leavenworth, Ks Sept 17, 1865, for
muster out a distance of 980 miles.
copist: A. L. Ames

No comments: