Saturday, November 21, 2009

Kansas Soldiers.

On this page I have given you two battle reports and other useful information. I have highlighted the names of the men in the reports in red. Not all the names highlighted are from Kansas, I highlighted all the names so they can be easily found within the reports. Although this is a Kansas site, I felt it only right that I should highlight all the names, as there will be families outside of Kansas looking for a ancestor that fought in Kansas as well.

IN CAMP ON PEA RIDGE, ARK., November 16, 1864.

Colonel C. R. JENNISON, Commanding Brigade:

SIR: The undersigned officers with this command respectfully protest against the indiscriminate pilfering and robbing of private citizens, and especially of defenseless women and children, that has marked the line of march of this division of the Army of the Border from the Arkansas River to this point. While we are all in favor of the complete destruction of the property of bushwhackers and of those who harbor them, we think that no property should be taken or destroyed without the express order of the officer commanding. If soldiers are permitted to rob and plunder without discrimination, the result must be demoralization of the men and disgrace to the officers and the service, in which we are unwilling to share.

Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry.

1. Alexander Montgomery, first lieutenant Company A, sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. His home was Leavenworth, mustered in February 13, 1864, mustered out December 6, 1865.

2. Silas Dexter, second lieutenant Company D, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Junction City mustered in February 5, 1864, Dis. per S. O. 133, W. D., dat'd Agu. 11, '65, to take effect Jan. 10, '65.

3. Charles Ballance, second lieutenant Company C, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Ohio City mustered in March 15, 1864, Pro. 1st Lieut. Co. G, Oct. 7, '65

4. Charles Byer, second lieutenant Company I and quartermaster Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer. Home was Leavenworth enlisted November 2, 1863, mustered in January 7, 1864, Pro. 2d Lieut. Co. I, June 10, '64.

5. James Ketner, major, commanding Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Leavenworth mustered in October 8, 1864, Mus. out with reg. Dec. 6, '65; pro. Brevet Col. Mar. 13, '65.

6. James P. Erickson, surgeon Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Mustered in July 1, 1864, Died of chronic dysentery, Ft. Conner, D. T., Sep. 21, '65

7. Nathan Ames, captain Company A, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Ottawa mustered in November 12, 1863, Must. out with reg. Dec. 6, '65.

8. John Kendall, captain Company D, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Leavenworth mustered in February 4, 1864, Dismissed the service per S. O. No. 276, Dept. Missouri, series of '65.

9. J. W. Hall, captain Company G, Sixteenth Kansas. Home Baldwin City mustered in March 2, 1864, Res. June 28, '65.

10. Thomas J. Ferril, chaplain, company field, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Baldwin City mustered in October 8, 1864, Must. out Nov. 28, '65.

11. William. B. Halyard, first Lieutenant and quartermaster, Company field Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Mustered in November 24, 1863, Must out Nov. 28, '65.

12. James W. Hendrix, first lieutenant Company C, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry.
Cavalry. Home was Ohio City, mustered in December 22, 1863, Must. out with reg. Dec. 6, '65.

13. Jeremiah Malcolm, second lieutenant Company F, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Grant, Davis Co. mustered in April 29, 1864, Dis. Jan. 27, '65, per S. O. No. 23, from Hdqrs. Dept. of Kan.

14. H. W. Stubblefield, captain Company H, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Elizabetht'n mustered in April 2, 1864, Must. out with reg. Dec. 6, '65.

15. John K. Wright, captain Company B, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home was Leavenworth mustered in February 2, 1864, Pro. Capt. Oct. 1, '64.

16. Nathaniel C. Credit, captain Company K, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. Home Prairie City mustered in October 1, 1864, Dis. Apr. 21, '65, per S. O. 178, W. D.

These men took part in the battle of Prairie Grove, Washington County, Arkansas, on Sunday, December 7, 1862.

1. Major Henry H. Williams Tenth Kansas Regiment. Homer was Ossawatomie mustered in July 24, 1861, Mustered out with regiment August 20, 1864.

2. Lieutenant Marcus D. Tenney First Kansas Battery. Home Baldwin City mustered in August 27, 1863, Must. out July 17, '65, L'worth.

3. Colonel Thomas M. Bowen Thirteenth Kansas Regiment. Home was Marysville mustered in September 20, 1862, Bv't Brig. Gen. Jan. 13, '65' mustered out June 28, '65.
Note. There was a error in the name it was to be Thomas M. Brown and not “Bowen .”

4. Lieutenant-Colonel Owen A. Bassett Second Kansas. Home Lawrence mustered in August 1, 1861, Mustered out Jan. 19, '65, at Little Rock, Ark.

5. Captain Samuel J. Crawford Co. A., Second Kansas. Home Garnett mustered in June 20, 1861, Prom. Col. 2d Regt. Kan. Col'd. Vols. Dec. 6, '63.

7. Lieutenant Joseph K. Hudson, Co. C., Tenth Kansas. Home Salem, Ohio, enlisted in July 30, 1861, mustered in same day Private, Promoted 1st Sergeant, First Sergeant, Promoted 1st Lieutenant.

8. William Weer, Tenth Kansas Infantry. Home Wyandotte mustered in June 20, 1861. Dismissed the service by G. O. No. 123, dated Headq'rs Dept. of Mo., St. Louis, Aug. 20, 1864.

Osage Catholic Mission, Kans., September 20, 1864.

The following is a list of the officers now at this post:

1. Captain Henry P. Ledger, Company L, Sixth Kansas. Home St. Louis, Mo. Mustered in June 18, 1863, Mustered out July 18, 1865, DeVall's Bluff, Ark.

2. Captain Thomas Stevenson, Company H, Fourteenth Kansas. There is no roster for the 14th.

3. Captain John W. Duff, Company M, Sixth Kansas. Home Kansas City, Mo. Mustered in July 30, 1863, Mustered out July 18, 1865, DeVall's Bluff, Ark..

4. Lieutenant William H. Kendall, Company E, Second Indian. Mustered in December 8th, 1862, From Company C, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, Private, home Emporia enlisted August 19, 1862, mustered in September 10, 1862, Prom. 2d Lieut. in 2d Indian reg't, Nov. 18, '62.

5. Lieutenant Benjamin H. Whitlow, Company H, Third Indian. Commission Lieutenant July 11th, 1862, From Company H, Tenth Kansas Infantry. First Sergeant enlisted October 7, 1861, mustered in March 4, 1862, Prom. 1st Lieutenant 3d I. H. G. July 11, 1862.

6. Lieutenant Alfred F. Bicking, Company A, First Indian. Commission 1st Lieutenant September 10th, 1862, From Company I, Second Kansas Cavalry. Sergeant, home Fort Scott, enlisted January 7, 1862, mustered in the same day, Prom. 1st Lt. Ind. Home Guards Aug. 5, 1862.

7. Lieutenant W. B. Clark, Company E, Fourteenth Kansas. There is no roster for the 14th.

8. Lieutenant William P. Phillips, Company B, Second Kansas. Home Topeka, mustered in January 11, 1864, Mustered out June 22, '65, at Fort Gibson, C. N.

9. Lieutenant Ebenezer W. Lucas, Company G, Sixth Kansas. Home Wyandotte. Mustered in March 15, 1865, Mustered out May 19, 1865, DeVall's Bluff, Ark.

10. Lieutenant Levi F. Stewart, Company I, Sixth Kansas. Home Kansas City, Mo. Mustered in May 26, 1863, Resigned May 2, 1865.

11. Lieutenant James Brooks, Company M, Sixth Kansas. Home Clinton mustered in July 30, 1863, Mustered out July 18, 1865, DeVall's Bluff, Ark.

Numbers 6. Report of Major Henry Hopkins, Second Kansas Cavalry.
FORT GIBSON, C. N., September 22, 1864.

I would respectfully make and forward the following report:

The supply train under my command having been repaired and loaded at Fort Scott, Kans., I moved on the 12th of September with as much dispatch as the condition of the animals would permit for this place.

On leaving Fort Scott I sent orders to the commanding officers of stations on the road between that post and this to thoroughly scout the country in their vicinity and notify me if the enemy be there and their movements, and also to re- enforce me with as many troops as they could spare, being fully convinced that the enemy intended an attack on the train at some point on the route between Scott and Gibson. The escort under my command numbered 260 men, composed of the following troops: Fifty men mounted and thirty dismounted of the Second Kansas Cavalry; sixty mounted and seventy dismounted men of the Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry, under command of Captain Stevenson, and ten mounted men and forty dismounted of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, under command of Captain Ledger.

The entire train numbered 300 wagons- 205 Government wagons, four Government ambulances, and ninety sutler wagons, &c. On arriving at Baxter Springs, this force was increased to 360 men by the arrival of 100 Cherokee Indians, under command of one white officer, First Lieutenant Waterhouse, Second Indian Regiment, and one Indian officer, Captain Ta- la- lah, Third Indian Regiment. At this place I received a dispatch from Colonel C. W. Blair, commanding at Fort Scott, to the effect that General Price had crossed the Arkansas River at Dardanelle and was moving north. I forwarded this to Colonel Wattles at Fort Gibson and urgently requested him to forward without delay all the troops he could spare to re- enforce men, as I anticipated an attack from a heavier force than my present force could contend with successfully.

Arriving at Hudson's Crossing of the Neosho River I ordered Lieutenant Waterhouse with his command to remain at that station, and moved with the rest of my command and train to Horse Creek, fifteen miles south. On the night of the 18th [17th], at 12 o'clock, while camped at this place, fifteen miles north of Cabin Creek, I received a dispatch from the commanding officer at Gibson stating that the enemy were in force, numbering 1,200 or 1,500, with infantry, and moving in the direction of Cabin Creek, and embodied in the dispatch was an order for me to move with all possible dispatch to Cabin Creek, and there await further orders to move the train.

I immediately moved the train in double column and arrived at Cabin Creek at 9 a. m. on the 18th instant. Lieutenant B. H. Whitlow, Third Indian, with 140 Cherokees, re- enforced me at this point, together with 170 Cherokees stationed at that point under command of Lieutenant Palmer, Second Indian Regiment. My entire force at this point numbered 120 mounted cavalry (white), 140 dismounted cavalry (white), and thirty mounted Cherokees and 330 dismounted; the entire force under my command numbering 610 whit men and Indians.

On arriving at Cabin Creek, in the afternoon of the same day, I moved out to the south of that point with twenty- five men of the Second Kansas Cavalry, under command of Captain Cosgrove, Second Kansas Cavalry,for the purpose of ascertaining the position and force of the enemy. Moving south from the station at Cabin Creek there miles, I found the enemy strongly posted in a hollow on the prairie. Pickets were re- enforced and the train formed in a quarter circle,preparatory to an attack. At 12 o'clock on the night of the 19th [18th] my pickets were driven in and the enemy reported advancing in force. My lines were formed and the train was ordered to be parked in close order in rear of the stockade. At 1 o'clock [19th] the enemy opened with artillery and small- arms and moved upon my lines with a yell. At that time information was received that the enemy numbered from 600 to 800 men, and was not informed that they had any artillery until it opened fire upon my lines.

The enemy's lines were formed in a quarter circle covering my right and left flank, and the nearest estimate I could form of their numbers was between 2,000 and 2,500 and four or six pieces of artillery. (They numbered not less than 2,000 at the very lowest estimate and four to six pieces of artillery, some of them rifled guns.) The enemy formed in two lines with mounted men in the first line and dismounted in the rear line, a few paces in rear of the first. Two pieces of their artillery were posted in our immediate front an two pieces opposite that right flank, making a cross- fire on my line and the train. At the first charge of the enemy the teamsters and wagon- masters, with but very few exceptions, stampeded, taking with them one or more mules out of each wagon, leaving their trains and going in the direction of Fort Scott.

This rendered it impossible to move any portion of the train. The enemy was held in check from 1 a. m. by about 400 of my men until 7.30 o'clock, when they advanced upon my line, planting their artillery within 100 yards of our position, and our forces were compelled to fall back in disorder,leaving the train, excepting a few wagons and an ambulance that immediately move back on the Fort Scott road across Cabin Creek. I encouraged the men to hold out until daylight, at which time I was in hopes Major Foreman, Third Indian Regiment, with six companies of Indians and two howitzers would arrive and attack the enemy in the rear. In order to move the train across the creek to a more remote position, I made every effort to rally the teamsters and wagon- masters, and while attempting to accomplish this the enemy swung around my right flank and took possession of the road in our rear, rendering all efforts to move the train useless.

On seeing this, I collected all the scattered troops possible together and moved in the direction east of Cabin Creek, on Grand River, where I was in hopes of joining Major Foreman, and if possible retake a portion of the train. At daylight I sent a messenger to the commanding officer at Hudson's Crossing of the Neosho River to immediately join me with his entire force,and in doing so he would protect any parties or part of the train that might have fallen back in that direction. Finding it impossible to join Major Foreman, I sent a messenger to the commanding officer at Gibson informing him that the train had been captured, and I immediately marched for that place and arrived there on the morning of the 21st at 7 a. m.

I expected Major Foreman to join me on the morning of the attack, but I find he was not within forty- five miles of my position at the time the enemy moved upon me. The force sent under Colonel J. M. Williams I knew nothing of until my arrival at Gibson. I sent four messengers to Gibson, calling for re- enforcements, two of whom were cut of and captured, and consequently were not received by the commanding officer at the post, but every effort was made on his part to hurry up to my assistance all the force he could possibly spare.

I was not apprised that the enemy had more than 1,200 to 1,500 men, and did not expect they had any artillery, until they opened it upon my line at 10 o'clock in the morning. The night previous to the attack it was my understanding that Major Foreman, with 300 Indians and two mountain howitzers, would camp within nine or ten miles of the post at Cabin Creek and move on to re- enforce me at daylight next morning. It is my opinion that the enemy did not get away with more than 75 or 100 wagons, including Government wagons, sutler wagons, and ambulances. The remainder were destroyed at Cabin Creek. Great credit is due the commanding officer at Gibson in forwarding re- enforcements, and also to all the officers and men under my command throughout the entire engagement for their bravery and gallant conduct.

Lieutenant G. W. Smith, adjutant Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, rendered throughout the entire engagement very efficient service and prompt action. It is at this time impossible to forward the number of killed, wounded,and prisoners, but will forward as soon as possible the result. Lieutenant Colonel J. B. Wheeler, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, was on the field with me at the opening of the engagement. Three men of the Second Kansas Cavalry, taken prisoners two days before they attacked me, have just escaped from them, but at different times, and report their forces at from 4,000 to 5,000 and six pieces of artillery, General Gano commanding.

Very respectfully,
Major Second Kansas Cavalry.

Note. The following names are the full names from the above report.

1.Captain Henry P. Ledger 6rh., Kansas cavalry. Private, home St. Louis, Mo. Enlisted December 18, 1861, mustered in same day. Promoted Sergeant. Promoted Sergeant Major October 8, 1862. Sergeant Major, Promoted 1st Lieutenant Co. L, May 14, 1863. Promoted Captain June 18, 1863.

2. Andrew J. Waterhouse, Second Indian enlisted March 8, 1862, mustered in same day. Prom. 1st Lt. Co. H, 3d Ind. H. G. May 20, 1863.

3. Captain Ta- la- lah, Third Indian Regiment. Not found on roster.

4. Lieutenant Benjamin H. Whitlow, Third Indian. Home Humboldt enlisted October 7, 1861, mustered in March 4, 1862. Prom. 1st Lieutenant 3d I. H. G. July 11, 1862

5. Lieutenant John C. Palmer, Second Indian Regiment. Home Topeka enlisted July 16, 1861, mustered in same day. Prom. 1st Lt. 2d Ind. Home Guards Oct. 15, 1862.

6. Captain Patrick Cosgrove, Second Kansas Cavalry. Home Olathe mustered in March 2, 1864, Mustered out June 22, 1865, at Fort Gibson, C. N.

7. Major John A. Foreman, Third Indian Regiment. Home Lawrence. Promoted Major 3d Indian Regt., July 11, 1862.

8. Lieutenant George W. Smith, adjutant Thirteenth Kansas Infantry. Home St. Louis, Mo. Mustered in October 13, 1863. Mus. out June 26, '65, Little Rock, Ark.

9. Colonel John. B. Wheeler, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry. Home Troy mustered in September 20, 1862. Mustered out with reg. June 26, 1865.

10. Major Henry Hopkins, Second Kansas Cavalry. Home Leavenworth mustered in November 13, 1863. Mustered out Jan. 13, 1865, at Leavenworth, Kan.

The following men were at the battle of Westport and Newtonia.

1. Captain B. F. Simpson, Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry, acting assistant quartermaster. There is no roster for this company.

2. Captain Richard J. Hinton, Second Kansas (colored), aide-de-camp. Home Washington, D. C. Mustered in October 21, 1863. No evidence of mus. out on file

3. Captain George J. Clark, Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry, acting ordnance officer. There is no roster for this company.

4. Colonel John T. Burris, late of the Tenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry. Home Olathe
Mustered in July 24, 1861. Mustered out with regiment August 20, 1864; promoted Brevet Colonel March 13, 1865.

5. Major Richard G. Ward, of the First Kansas (colored). Home Richmond, Ind. Mustered in April 22, 1865. Mustered out with reg. Oct. 1, 1865.

6. Captain Thomas E. Milhoan, late of the Tenth Kansas Volunteers. First Lieutenant, home Olathe mustered in July 16, 1861. Promoted Captain June 23, 1862. Mustered out Aug. 18, 1864, Leavenworth, Kan.

7. Captain A. J. Shannon, provost-marshal, District of South Kansas. Not found on any roster.

8. Company E, of the Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry, commanded by Lieutenant W. B. Clark. There is no roster for this company.

Fort Leavenworth, Kans., April 2, 1862.

Headquarters Department of the Mississippi, Saint Louis, Mo.:

SIR: I have the honor to report that I arrived at this post yesterday evening, and immediately assumed the command of the district. J. W. DENVER,
Brigadier-General, Commanding.

I have been unable at present to obtain accurate statistics of the numbers and stations of the troops within this district, but as near as I can ascertain they consist of the following regiments:

1. First Kansas (infantry), Colonel George W. Deitzler, stationed at Lawrence. Home Lawrence mustered in May 28, 1861. Wounded in action Aug. 10, 1861, at Wilson's Creek, Mo.; pro. Brig. Gen. Nov. 29, 1862.

2. : Second Kansas (cavalry), Colonel Robert B. Mitchell, stationed at Shawneetown. Home Mansfield mustered in June 20, 1861. Promoted Brig. Gen. U. S. Vols. April 8, 1862.

3. Third Kansas (infantry), Colonel Cloud, stationed at Mound City or Scott. No roster for this regiment.

4. Fourth Kansas (infantry), Colonel Cloud, stationed at Wyandotte. No roster for this regiment.

5. Fifth Kansas (cavalry), Colonel Powell Clayton, at Fort Scott. Home Leavenworth
Mustered in December 28, 1861. Promoted Colonel March 7, 1862.

6. Sixth Kansas (cavalry), Colonel William R. Judson, at Fort Scott. Home Fort Scott. Mustered in July 27, 1861. Mustered out Mar. 11, 1865, Leavenworth, Kan.

7. Seventh Kansas (cavalry), Colonel Charles R. Jenison, at Lawrence. Home Leavenworth. Mustered in October 28, 1861. Resigned May 1, 1862.

8. Eighth Kansas (infantry), Colonel Robert H. Graham's, scattered, headquarters at Leavenworth City. Home Leavenworth, or it could have been Captain James M. Graham, Co. C., home Atchison mustered in November 7, 1861. Promoted Major December 21, 1863. Promoted Lientenant Colonel June 26, 1864. Resigned September 23, 1864, Atlanta, Ga.

9. Ninth Kansas (cavalry), Colonel Edward Lynde (incomplete), at Iola, near Humboldt. Home Grasshopper. Mustered in March 24, 1862. Mustered out Nov. 25, '64, DeVall's Bluff, Ark.

1865. Captain Nathan Ames, Company A, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteers Cavalry, will move to-morrow morning to Lawrence, Kans. Home was Ottawa mustered in November 12, 1863. Mustered out with reg. December 6, 1865.

1865. Captain John Kendall, Company D, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteers Cavalry, will move to-morrow morning to Council Grove, Kans. Home was Leavenworth mustered in February 4, 1864. Dismissed the service per S. O. No. 276, Dept. Missouri, series of 1865.

These three officers were in on one of the attacks for Quantrill.

1863. Lieutenant-Colonel Charles S. Clark, Ninth Kansas Volunteers, with headquarters at Coldwater Grove, was in command of the troops on the border of Little Santa Fe, including the stations at Aubrey, Coldwater Grove (13 miles south at Aubrey), Rockville (13 miles south of Coldwater Grove), Choteau's Trading Post (15 miles south of Rockville), and Harrisonville.
Charles S. Clark home was Iola mustered in Jan. 2, 1862. Mustered out Jan. 16, 1865, DeVall's Bluff, Ark.

1863. Captain Nick L. Benter company of the Twelfth Kansas Infantry, which had been garrisoning Paola, he prepared to attack Quantrill at the ford of Bull Creek, 3 miles south of Paola.
Nick L. Benter home was Osage mustered in Sep. 26, 1862. Assassinated Apr. 2, 1864, Hot Springs, Ark.

The death of Captain Nick L. Benter or Beuter.

He was A. A. A. G. on Col. Adams’ staff, who was commanding a Brigade, Captain had got his work done and came to the camp of the 12th Regiment (headquarters of the Brigade and our Regiment was about five hundred yards apart) after he had been around and saw the officers he came to our tent, and there we had a social chat and passed time off first rate, and at 9 o’clock Captain left for Brigade headquarters, when about half way we heard the report of a gun, three shots were fired, we thought nothing of that for Lt. Col. Hayes gave orders to kill hogs for rations was getting scarce, everything was quiet in camp after that, the next morning Isaac Ricketts of company C, Forage master for the out-fit, came to my tent before day and told me there was a dead man in the road and he thought it was Capt. Beuter, but could not tell for it was dark. I got up and started for the place, and I found it was Capt. Beuter. I had him taken to camp and put in the tent, and report to Col. Adams. He was robbed of his money and Revolvers, his pockets was turned inside out, his hat was also gone. He was shot through the heart. We put him in an ambulance and took him with us that day, we camped on the south fork of Saline Creek, and there we left the remains of poor Captain. He was buried on a hill in a very nice place, sloping each way, covered with pine trees. He was buried with military honors. Capt. Beuter was more than an ordinary man. He had a good and noble heart; was well
posted in military affairs, and the best officer in the 12th Regiment. We miss him very much.


1863. Captain Thomas P. Killen Co. H. Ninth Kansas.
Home was Carlyle mustered in Jan. 2, 1862. Mustered out Jan. 16, '65, DeVall's Bluff, Ark.

Numbers 24. Report of Colonel James M. Williams, First Kansas Colored Infantry, commanding detachment Frontier Division, of engagement at Poison Spring.
CAMDEN, ARK., April 24, 1864.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of foraging expedition under my command: In obedience to verbal orders received from Brigadier-General Thayer, I left Camden, Ark., on the 17th instant with the following force, viz: 500 of the First Kansas Colored Volunteers, commanded by Major Ward; 50 of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, commanded by Lieutenant Henderson; 75 of the Second Kansas Cavalry, commanded by Lieutenant Mitchell; 70 of the Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry, commanded by Lieutenant Utt; one section of the Second Indiana Battery, commanded by Lieutenant Haines; in all, 695 men and two guns, with a forage train of 198 wagons.

I proceeded westerly on the Washington road a distance of 18 miles, where I halted the train and dispatched parts of it in different directions to load, 100 wagons, with a large part of the command under Major Ward, being sent 6 miles beyond the camp. These wagons returned to camp at midnight, nearly all loaded with corn. At sunrise n the 18th, the command started ont the return, loading the balance of the train as it proceeded. There being but few wagon loads of corn to be found at any one place, I was obliged to detach portions of the command in different directions to load the wagons, until nearly my whole available force was so employed.

At a point known as Cross-Roads, 4 miles east from my camping-ground, I met a re-enforcement of the following force, viz: Eighteenth Iowa Infantry, 375 men, Captain Cuncan; Sixth Kansas Cavalry, 25 men, Lieutenant Phillips; Second Kansas Cavalry, 45 men, Lieutenant Ross; Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry, 20 men, Lieutenant Smith, and two mountain howitzers from the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, Lieutenant Walker; in all, 465 men and two howitzers, which, added to my former force, made my whole command consist of 875 infantry, 285 cavalry, and four guns. But the excessive fatigue of the preceding day, coming as it did at the close of a toilsome march of twenty-four days, without halting, had so worn upon the infantry that fully 100 of the First Kansas (colored) were rendered unfit for duty. Many of the cavalry had, in violation of orders, straggled from their commands, so that at this time my effective force did not exceed 1,000 men.

At a point 1 mile east of this my advance came upon a picket of the enemy, which was driven back for 1 mile, when a line of the enemy's skirmishers presented itself. Here I halted the train, formed a line of the small force I then had in advance, and ordered that portion of the First Kansas Colored Volunteers which had previously been guarding the rear of the train to the front, and gave orders for the train to be parked as closely as the nature of the ground would permit. I also opened a fire upon the enemy's line from the section of Second Indiana Battery, for the double purpose of ascertaining, if possible, if the enemy had any artillery in position in front, and also to draw in some foraging parties which had previously been dispatched upon either flank of the train.

No response was elicited save a brisk fire form the enemy's skirmishers. Meanwhile the remainder of the First Kansas Colored Volunteers had come to the front, as also those detachments of cavalry which formed part of the original escort, which I formed in line, facing to the front, with detachment Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry on my left, and detachments Second and Sixth Kansas Cavalry on the right flank. I also sent orders to Captain Duncan, commanding Eighteenth Iowa volunteers, to so dispose of his regiment and the cavalry and howitzers which came out with him as to protect the rear of the train, and to keep a sharp lookout for a movement upon his rear and right flank.

Meanwhile a movement of the enemy's infantry toward my right flank had been observed through the thick brush, which covered the surface of the country in that direction. Seeing this, I ordered forward the cavalry on my right, under Lieutenants Mithchell and Henderson, with orders to press the enemy's line, fore it if possible, and at all events to ascertain his position and strength, fearing, as I did, that the silence of the enemy in front was but for the purpose of drawing me on into the open ground which lay in my front. At this juncture a rebel soldier rode into my lines and inquired for Colonel De Morse. From him I learned that General Price was in command of the rebel force, and that Colonel De Morse was in command of a force on my right.

The cavalry had advanced but 400 yards, when a brisk fire of musketry was opened upon them from the brush, which they returned with true gallantry, but were forced to fall back. In this skirmish many of the cavalry were unhorsed, and Lieutenant Henderson fell, wounded in the abdomen, while gallantry urging his men forward. In the mean time I formed five companies of the First Kansas Colored Volunteers with one piece of artillery on my right flank, and ordered up to their assistance four companies of the Eighteenth Iowa. Soon my orderly returned from the rear with a message from Captain Duncan, stating that he was so closely pressed in the rear by the enemy's infantry and artillery that the men could not be spared.

At this moment the enemy opened upon me with two batteries, one of six pieces in front, and one of three pieces on my right flank, pouring in an incessant and well-directed cross-fire of shot and shell. At the same time he advanced his infantry both in front and on my right flank. From the force of the enemy, now for the first time made visible, I saw that I could not hope to defeat him; but still I resolved to defend the train to the last, hoping that re-enforcements would come up from Camden. I suffered them to approach within 100 yards of my lines, when I opened upon them with musketry charged with buck and ball, and after a contest of fifteen minutes' duration compelled them to fall back.

Two fresh regiments, however, coming up, they again rallied and advanced against my lines, this time with colors flying and continuous cheering, so loud as to drown even the roar of the musketry. Again I suffered them to approach even nearer than before, and opened upon them with buck and ball, their artillery still pouring in a cross-fire of shot and shell over the heads of their infantry, and mine replying with vigor and effect; and for another quarter of an hour the fight raged with desperate fury, and the noise and din of battle of this almost hand-to-hand conflict was the loudest and most terrific it has ever been my lot to listen to. Again were they forced to fall back, and twice during this contest were their colors brought to the ground, but as often raised.

During these contests fully one-half of my infantry engaged were either killed or wounded. Three companies were left without an officer, and seeing the enemy again re-enforced with fresh troops it became evident that I could hold my line but little longer. I directed Major Ward to hold that line until I could ride back and form the Eighteenth Iowa in proper form to support the retreat of this advanced line. Meanwhile, so many of the gunners having been shot from around their pieces as to leave too few men to serve the guns, I ordered them to retire to the rear of the train and report to the commanding officer there. Just as I was starting for the line of the Eighteenth Iowa my horse was shot, and caused a delay long enough to obtain an mount another one, which done, I rode to the rear and formed a line of battle facing the direction in which the enemy was advancing.

Again did the enemy hurl his columns against the remnant of men which formed my front and right flank, and again were they met as gallantly as before. But my decimated ranks were unable to resist the overpowering force hurled against my line, and after a check had been given their advance, seeing that our line was completely flanked on both sides, Major Ward gave the order to retire, which was done in good order, forming and checking the enemy twice before reaching the rear of the train. With the assistance of Major Ward and other officer I succeeded in forming a portion of First Colored Regiment in rear of the Eighteenth Iowa, and when the enemy approached this line they gallantly advanced to the line of the Eighteenth Iowa maintained their line manfully, and stoutly contested the ground until nearly surrounded, when they retired, and, forming again, checked the advancing foe, and still held their ground until again nearly surrounded, when they again retired across a ravine which was impassable for artillery, and I gave orders for the pieces to be spiked and abandoned.

After crossing this ravine I succeeded in forming a portion of the cavalry, which I kept in line in order to give the infantry time to reach the swamp which lay in our front, which they succeeded in doing, and by this means nearly all except the badly wounded were enabled to reach camp. Many wounded men belonging to the First Kansas Colored Volunteers fell into the hands of the enemy, and I have the most positive assurances from eye-witnesses that they were nurtured on the spot. The action was commenced at 10 a. m. and terminated at 2 p. m. I was forced to abandon everything to the enemy, and they thereby became possessed of this large train, two 6-pounder guns, and two 12-pounder mountain howitzers. With what force could be collected I made my way to this post, where I arrived at 11 p. m. of the same day.

At no time during the engagement, such was the nature of the ground and the size of the train, was I able to employ more than 500 men and two guns to repel the assaults of the enemy, whose force I estimate at 10,000 men and twelve guns, from the statements of prisoners. The columns of assault which were thrown against my front and right flank consisted of five regiments of infantry and one of cavalry, supported by a strong force which moved upon my left flank and rear. I have named this engagement the action of Poison Spring, from a spring of that name in the vicinity. My loss during the engagement is as follows: Killed, 92; wounded, 97; missing, 106. Many of those reported missing are supposed to be killed. Others are supposed to be wounded and prisoners. The loss of the enemy is not know, but in my opinion it will much exceed our own.

The conduct of all the troops under my command, officers and men, was characterized by true soldierly bearing, and in no case was a line broken except when assaulted by an overwhelming force, and then falling back only when so ordered. The gallant dead, officers and men, all evinced the most heroics spirit, and died the death of true soldiers.

Very respectfully,
Colonel First Kansas Colored Vols., Commanding Escort.

The following names are from the above report.

1. Colonel James M. Williams, First Kansas Colored Infantry.
Mustered in May 2, 1863. Pro.Brev.Brig.Gen Feb.13,'65.
Mustered out Pine Bluff, Ark. Oct.1, 1865.

2. Major Richard G. Ward, First Kansas Colored Volunteers.
Home was Richmond, Ind. Mustered in Apr.22, 1865, was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, mustered out with reg. Oct. 1, 1865.

3. Lieutenant Robert Henderson, Sixth Kansas Cavalry.
Private, home Junction City enlister October 4, 1861, mustered in same day, Promoted 1st Sergeant October 20, 1861, then promoted 2d Lieut. Co. G, September 15, 1862. Promoted 1st Lieutenant January 1, 1864. Promoted Captain December 9, 1864. Captain Robert Henderson, Mustered out May 19, 1865, DeVall's Bluff, Ark; Wounded in action April 18, 1864, Poison Springs, Ark.

4. Lieutenant Mitchell, Second Kansas Cavalry.
To many Mitchell’s to decide on.

5. Lieutenant Utt, Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry.
No roster for this regiment.

6. Lieutenant Phillips; Second Kansas Cavalry.

7. Lieutenant William P. Phillips; Second Kansas Cavalry.
Private, home Topeka enlisted November 21, 1861, mustered in same day. Prom. Sergeant; prom. 1st Lt. Co. B, Jan. 11, 1864, Sergeant Reduced to ranks March 21, 1862, First Lieutenant mustered out June 22, 1865, at Fort Gibson, C. N.

8. Lieutenant Smith, Kansas regiment unknown.

9. Lieutenant Walker, Kansas regiment unknown.

No comments: