This business directory was written by W. F. Pride, in his book called; “The History Of Fort Riley, 1926.
East side of Washington street looking north.
On the 15th of May, 1866, the corner stone of the Trott Brothers building on Washington Street was laid and in it was placed a copy of the Junction City Union in a tin box. An issue of the Weekly Union of May 15, 1869, was selected by the writer ( W.F. Pride ) at random with the belife that the following advertisements of the various business and professional men of that date might be of interest.
The Great Western Billiard Rooms on Sixth Street ahd a large ad which the reader was informed that they had the “best kept tables in the city. House furnished with choicest brands of liquors, cigars, etc. Free lunch every night.” C. F. Carroll was the proprietor.
W. S. Blakely was Clerk of the District Court and C. H. Trott was Postmaster.
W. D. Knox advertised wagons for sale.
Blattner and Blakely sold reapers and mowers. Under the heading “Attorneys at Law” were White and Austin; S. B. White; Canfield, McClure and Claggett; Gilpatrick and Caswell; John Williams, and H. H. Snyder.
The Washington House was on the corner of Sixth and Washington, three doors from the land office and G. L. Patrick was the proprietor. ( The Bartell House was House was not opened Until January, 1879 ). The Hale House was across the street ehere the Bartell House is now Located. It was destroyed by fire in 1874 and was follwed by the Bartell House.
Alfred Pray was a Gunmaker. He sold and repaired guns, rifles, pistols, Wheeler and Wilson’s Sewing Machines ( the old reliable standby of those days ), melodeons, pianos and organs.
C. Smith we find a Wholesale Dealer in Wines and Liquors.” Keeps constantly on hand a superior article of old Burbon Whiskey. Also also all kinds of bottled Wines and Liquors.” Seventh Street, Junction City.
Wm. Lockstone was a dealer in confections, soda water, fruits, nuts, toys, musical instruments, etc. ( One might pause to wonder how extensive the sale of soda water was in those days ).
Peter Schimmer and Ernest Thiele were engaged in Furniture Upholstering and Cabinet Making on Seventh Street between Washing and Jefferson.
Horne and Jones, and W. Finlaw, M. D. were Physicians ans Surgeons. Dr. L. Hall was a Physician, Surgeon and Accoucher with his office in the Drug Store Building of Hall and Porter. W. J. Jackson was a Surgeon Dentist.
Stickney and Company, Successors to Latshaw, Quade and Company, were dealers in lumber, on Jefferson Street near Seventh.
Probably the oldest business in town that has continued unchanged is Sargent’s Drug Store, in these days (1926) the home of the “Coca-Cola Senate” where “Chief” Nicholson and other city fathers gather of an evening to settle the affairs of the town. W. W. Sargent moved to his new store on Washington Street in June, 1869. The firm named was W. W. Sargent and Company, Druggists, and the building was in the same location as the present one.
The B. Rockwell Company, Department Store, was established in 1865, and remained in business untill 1926. In March, 1889, their new store was opened in the building on the corner of Eighth and Washington where the firm recently went out of business. At the time of the opening of their store in 1889, the Weekly Union of March 16th states: “the Notions counter was presided over by Mrs. Wills and Mrs. Gaylord; the Boot and Shoe Department by Frank Brooks; Men’s Furnishings by George Faringhy, the Grocery Department was in charge of George A Rockwell, who had as assistants, M. L. Coryell, Harry Sawtelle, Harry Ellis, and August Rubin.”
P. Z. Taylor sold Mitchell’s Premium Wagons.
The New York Store, under the management of H. Ganz and Bro., slod Dry Goods and Notions and was located opposite the Park.
F. S. Mead and B. Harney were Merchant Tailors.
W. E. Sutliff and Company were deales in Ready Made Clothing, on Washington Street between Seventh and Eighth.
A. W. Callen, located one door north of the Hale House, and Gilbert were Grocers, while Walter Daly was a butcher and Provision Dealer.
The Bankers included: Hale and Company, Bamkers and Dealers in Exchange, Gold and Silver Coin and Gold Dust; Robert S. Miller; James Streeter and Company ( Streeter and Rizer).
There were no morticians, but John Gross advertised Furniture and Coffins.
Patterson and Hall were Hardware Dealers on Wiley’s Corner at Seventh and Washington.
McKenzie and Smith were metal workers and also sold stove and furniture.
Drechsel and Beeler apparently had the only Wagon Factory in town. This was on Seventh Street.
The only bakery advertised was New Bakery operated by H. P. Hynes, “Bakery family grocery and provisions.” It was located on Washington Street one door north of M. E. Clark’s new building.
Milton E. Clark ran a General Merchandies store advertised as the “Stone Store with the Iron Front,” on Washington Street.
Strickler, Hyatt and Company operated the Junction City Lime Works. “Fresh lime every three hours.”
Hall and Porter sold Condition Powers Drugs, etc.
The Scandinavian Line ( tourist ) had a local agent in the person of John P. Swenson.
B. Harvey was a wholesale and retail liquor dealer.
A. C. Pierce was apparently the only real estate dealer.
James Cormack wanted hauling to do.