Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Brig General Joseph Bailey

Joseph Bailey.

Birth: May 6, 1825.
Death: Mar. 21, 1867.

Brief history prior to Civil War:
Was a Lumberton in Wisconsin.

Brief history during the Civil War:
Was with the 4th Wisconsin

Direct engineer in campaign against Mobile then given rank of Major General Helped rear Admiral David Dixon Porter out of situation on the Red River expedition. The admiral brought a 2 million-dollar fleet of gunboat up the river, the river water level dropped since he started his trip from New Orleans. Col. Bailey came up with a plan and got permission to build a dam. He was told by the Admiral he had 12 days and didn't get any money to do it. He picked up lumberjacks from the 29th and 23rd Wisconsin and a Maine unit. Porter was very skeptical of this whole idea. Bailey sunk two barges and used tree and rocks to build the dam. He raises the water seven feet and sent the ships through and it took only 11 days. The dam did cost 50 axes but when President Lincoln found out how he saved the fleet he didn't charge Bailey but promoted him to Brevet Brig General. Later he commanded troops that captured Fort Morgan near Mobile, AL which made him a full Brig General.
One of only 14 men to receive "The thanks of Congress" for the Civil War and wasn't a Corp. Commander at the time.
Captain of 4th Wisconsin July 21, 1861.
Major May 30, 1863.
Lt. Col. June 1, 1864.
Brig General April 16, 1865.
Resigned July 7, 1865.

Civil War Reports by Joseph Bailey.

Numbers 6. Report of Brigadier General Joseph Bailey, U. S. Army, commanding Engineer Brigade.

Mobile, Ala., April 28, 1865.
MAJOR: I beg leave to submit the following report:
assumed command of the Engineer Brigade, Army and Division of West Mississippi, consisting of the Ninety-sixth U. S. Colored Infantry, Colonel J. C. Cobb; Ninety-seventh U. S. Colored Infantry, Colonel George D. Robinson, and First Company of Pontoniers, Captain J. J. Smith, on March 16, at Navy Cove. Ala. I found the pontoon bridge in good condition and nearly complete in equipments; mules only were lacking. The command left Navy Cover March 26, landing at Starke's Landing, Ala., at which place it was thence forward stationed until the capitulation of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely. Starke's Landing was made the base of the army. All supplies were landed there, and all shipments of six and wounded and of prisoners of war made from there, and it was made the business of the command to facilitate in every possible way the landing of supplies, &c., and their transmission to the army.

The One hundred and sixty-first New York Regiment, Major Craig; 200 men from the Twenty-third Iowa, Captain ---; 200 from the Ninety-fourth Illinois, Captain Howell, and various other detachments of infantry and cavalry were added to the command upon landing, with which the post was guarded and kept patrolled. Until wharves could be built the bridges were used as such, and proved indispensable, but six wharves from 300 to 500 feet in length were constructed in five days' time, and another repaired for the use of the sick and wounded. Besides this all supplies, ordnance, commissary, quartermaster's, &c., were handled, moved, and mostly loaded upon wagons by the command.

The roads from this point to the headquarters of the army were kept in repair by the brigade, and various other duties were performed incidental to such a command. No troops during this was have labored more severely or arduously, but those to whom most credit is due are the Ninety-sixth and Ninety-seventh U. S. Colored Engineer Regiments. Night and day without compliant those regiments worked, and it is difficult to comprehend how they endured through it.

The regiments manifest very great care and ability in their organization and discipline. The officers of both, with two exceptions, now out of service, labored assiduously. Of none of them can I do other than speak in the highest terms. The One hundred and sixty-first New York Regiment deserves especial mention for its energy and laborious exertions. I have to commend highly the organization known as the First Company of Pontoniers, Captain Smith commanding. Under Captain Smith and his officers, all of whom are thorough in their duties, the bridges are better handled and more quickly than I deem a regiment can do it.

To the officers of my staff, but to my aide-de-camp particularly, First Lieutenant Washington Hill, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, I was indebted for a great deal of valuable and indispensable assistance.
I am, major, most respectfully, your obedient servant, J. BAILEY, Brigadier-General, Commanding Brigade.

Numbers 61. Reports of Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Bailey, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, Acting Engineer Officer Nineteenth Army Corps.

Monett's Ferry, La., April 23, 1863.

MAJOR: I have the honor to report that in obedience to orders I left the Alexandria and Grand Ecore road early this morning, 4 miles above Monett's Ferry, and traveled nearly north 8 miles, when I reached Red River at a point 10 miles above the mouth of Cane River; thence down Red River to the mouth of Cane River, and from there up said river to the above-named ferry, and find that this entire country is a swamp extending close to the bank of Red River, except a narrow strip of land on the west bank of Cane River which could be completely commanded by field artillery from the bluffs on the opposite side, and which has been strongly guarded by the enemy during the day.

Cane River is not fordable below Monett's Ferry, and owing to the impassable swamp on one side an the high bluffs on the other, it would not be possible to cross Cane River at any point below the above-named ferry with the army.

I have the honor, major, to be, respectfully, your obedient servant, J. BAILEY, Lieutenant Colonel 4th Wis. Cav. and Actg. Mil. Eng. 19th A. C.
After the Civil War.

Joseph Bailey survived the war by less than two years. In October 1865, he moved with his wife and children to Vernon County, Missouri, where he was elected sheriff. He was shot and killed in March 1867 near Nevada, Missouri by two brothers he had arrested (but failed to disarm) for stealing a hog. Despite a $3,000 reward, the killers, former guerrillas Lewis and Perry Pixley, were never brought to justice. General Bailey was buried with Masonic honors in the military cemetery at Fort Scott, Kansas. His remains were later moved to Evergreen Cemetery, where he rests next to his wife. A monument to his memory stands in Malta, Ohio

Joseph Richandson Allen

Joseph Richardson Allen.

Birth: Dec. 14, 1832, Monmouth County, New Jersey.
Death: Apr. 19, 1917, Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas.

Joseph Allen was an abolitionist and worked for the underground railroad. He took a job on a plantation in NC as a horse trainer and assisted slaves to escape. He was caught and escaped by horseback with the authorities on his heals. He came from Quaker parents. He married a bride 11 years his junior in 1857. She came from another abolitionist family, the Pearsons, who had moved from Indiana to Iowa where Joseph and Emmaline married.

They moved to Lawrence Kansas to support the side of anti-slavery and were there during the famous Quantrill raid on that city. The citizens, at one point, wanted to lynch a man they thought to be a southern spy, but Joseph's Quaker upbringing helped him dissuade them from murdering a man who might be innocent and the incident was written up in the local paper. He was well respected, worked as a farmer and rancher, raised fine horses and raised fine children. His wife, Emmaline, has a cyber grave here as well. They had 7 children in all.

This was Created by: Kate Lund, “Thanks Kate!”



Birth: Mar. 20, 1842, Allegany, Maryland.
Death: Apr. 5, 1874, Cedar Vale, Chautauqua, Kansas.
Married, Elizabeth Caroline Tabler, on August 26, 1867.


Lewis Grant Adams.
Birth: 09 JUL 1868 , Cherokee, Kansas.
Death: 20 JAN 1870

Lovie Bell Adams.
Birth: 28 MAR 1871 , Barry, Missouri.
Death: 07 APR 1871.

Frank Alonzo Adams
Birth: 13 APR 1872 , Barry, Missouri.
Death: 10 OCT 1931.

Enlistment record.

ALONZO, ADAMS, private, Company D Unit 71 IL U. S. Infantry, Residence FAIRBURG, LIVINGSTON CO, Ill., Age 22, Height 5' 4 ½, Hair DARK, Eyes BLACK, Complexion FAIR, Marital Status SINGLE, Occupation FARMER, Nativity CUMBERLAND, ALLEGANY CO, PA., Joined When JUL 19, 1862, Joined Where FAIRBURG, Ill., Period 3 Months, Muster In JUL 22, 1862, Muster In Where CHICAGO, Ill.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Ebenezer Mills & Caroline Mills.

Ebenezer Mills.

Birth: Oct. 15, 1830, Belmont (Belmont County), Belmont County, Ohio.

Death: Nov. 7, 1906, Barrett, Marshall County, Kansas.

Carpenter who came to Kansas Territory as part of Free State Kansas. Joined Union army Company G 13th Kansas Volunteer Infantry on September 1, 1862. Owned grocery store in Barrett (formerly Barrett's Mill), Kansas until his death.

Caroline Barkes Mills.

Birth: May 15, 1837, Beallsville, Monroe County, Ohio.

Death: Mar. 8, 1918, Barrett, Marshall County, Kansas.

Moved from eastern Ohio to Kansas Territory in Spring of 1856 with her husband Ebenezer and 2 year old daughter. Gave birth to a son and new born son and 2 year old daughter died in Summer of 1856. She was a strong woman.

One child.

Margaret Ann Mills Black.

Birth: Aug. 23, 1871

Death: Jul. 16, 1949

Mrs Margaret Ann Black, life long resident of the Barrett community, passed away at her home southwest of Frankfort. Saturday, July 16th following an illness of several weeks. She was 77 years, ten months and 24 days of age.

The deceased, who was the widow of the late George Black was born at Barrett and this community has been her home during her entire lifetime. She was held in high esteem by all who knew her. She was a devoted wife and mother and will be greatly missed by her loved ones and friends.

She is survived by five children; Mrs. D H Burton, Mrs Cora Miller, Miss Vera Black, Frank and Fred Black all of this community; one sister, Mrs Lottie B Tudor of Newton, KS; one brother, Joel Mills of Frankfort and a number of other relatives who have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist church in Frankfort, Tuesday, conducted by Rev. C L Fike and burial was in the Barrett Cemetery.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Kansas Sheriffs

Over the last hundred and fifty years Kansas has had many law officers and many have stood out and became famous in their time. We all know the names of most of the marshals of the famous cowtowns of Kansas, but how many Sheriffs can we name. Many of these Sheriffs would become famous in their town and county they served, but would never reach the heights of the likes of Bat Masterson, and the rest. Does this make them any less important of course not, for without these unsung heroes the west would not have been tamed.

When I first started this page I had no idea how many sheriffs there were. All these sheriffs served with pride and some would loss their life’s will serving. There are more sheriffs then I could put on the page, those of you who be to this site before or my other site ( Civil War Days & Those Surnames ), know I only work in the years of 1776-1900, for this reason I only give the names of those who served in the eighteen hundreds although same would end their service in the nineteen hundreds.

These sheriffs are listed by counties, however there is no order to the counties. I listed them as I found them. Many of the names have no information on them, but there are some who have information or links so you can read their story.

Sheriffs of Chase County.

Sheriff Jabin Johnson, 1877-1880.
Born: unknown.
Death: November 26, 1906.
Wife: MARY ELIZABETH THOMAS, married 1866.

Sheriff George Balch, 1881-1882.
Birth: 6 Sept. 1833, Niagara Co., NY.
Death: unknown.
Wife: Jennie Houston, married 1866.
Father: Horace Balch
Mother: Mary Manning

Sheriff J. W. Griffis, 1883-1886.

Sheriff E. A. Kinne, 1887 & 1889

Sheriff J. H. Murdock, 1891 & 1893.
Birth: Sept. 8, 1844.
Death: Dec. 10, 1923.

Sheriff John McCallum, 1895 & 1897.
Born in London, Ontario, Canada, Mar 9 1850.
Death: 1903, near Las Vegas.
Wife: Mary Brecht, married March 1, 1879.
Children: Nellie, Hugh, Niel and Charley.
John McCallum was known as the "the big Irish sheriff of Chase Co."

Sheriff S. W. Beach, 1899.


January 18 David McCammon qualified as sheriff by giving bond and taking the oath prescribed by the law of 1855, and was the first sheriff of the county.

Sheriffs of Allen County.

*Josiah Clark Redfield, 1861 & 1865.

*To read more on him use this link..

C. F. Coleman, 1865.

Wm V. Crow, 1866.

John Harris, 1867 & 1869.

H C. Amsden, 1871.

J. L. Woodin, 1873 & 1875


A. Hodgson, 1877.

J. D. Sims, 1879.

D. Worst, 1881.

S. Riggs, 1883.

J L. Brown, 1885.

D. D. Britton, 1887.

L. Hobart, 1889 & 1891.

C. C. Ausherman, 1893 & 1895.

H. Hobart, 1897 & 1899.

Cherokee County.

1875. sheriff, Alfred Palmer.

1877. sheriff. A. J. Bahney.

1879 & 1881. sheriff, A. S. Dennison.

1883 & 1885 sheriff, W. H. Layne.

1887 & 1889 sheriff, J. C. Babb.
James Cummings "Jim" Babb.

Birth: Oct. 27, 1850, Franklin County, Missouri.
Death: Apr. 6, 1908, Parsons, Labette County, Kansas

Former city marshal of Galena, Ks. The son of Joshua E. & Elizabeth Evans Babb.
He married Clara Van Gundy. He married second Mrs Mary Waters. Survivors include his wife, daughter Mabel Monroe, sons Grover, Harry, Ed & Claud.

1891 & 1893 sheriff, C. D. Arnold.

1895. sheriff, W. T. Forkner.

1897 & 1899 sheriff, 0. W. Sparks.
Oliver Walker Sparks.

Birth: Aug. 5, 1863
Death: 1932.

OLIVER WALKER SPARKS, one of the prominent and substantial citizens of Columbus, a large mine operator at Peacock City, formerly a member of the city council of Galena, and sheriff of Cherokee County for five years, was born August 5, 1862, at Shelbina, Shelby County, Missouri, and is a son of Samuel and Lydia (Lewis) Sparks.

The Sparks family originated in England, whence came Robert Sparks, the great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch. He settled in Virginia, but removed to Kentucky at a very early day. There on March 30, 1808, was born his son, Henry J. Sparks, who died in 1888, in Missouri, to which State he had moved in 1839. He bought 320 acres of land for $4.50 an acre, and was an extensive grower of tobacco and stock. He married Nancy Thrailkell, daughter of John Thrailkell; she was born in 1804 and died in 1854. Samuel Sparks was the third child of this marriage. He was born in Henry County, Kentucky, about 40 miles from Louisville, July 2, 1835, and in boyhood accompanied his father to Monroe County, Missouri. He served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, from the fall of 1861 to the fall of 1863, as a member of Company A, 8th Missouri Regiment.

Samuel Sparks first married when he was about 21 years of age. He bought a farm near that of his father, and farmed in Cedar County for some years. He moved to Joplin, Missouri, about 1870, and became somewhat interested in mining. In 1878 he went to Leadville, Colorado, where he was engaged for three years in prospecting and making charcoal. In 1881 he came to Galena, Kansas, and for some time was very successful in his mining operations, but an ailment of his eyes rendered it impossible for him to continue in such exhausting work. The trouble increased and from 1888 until 1893 he was almost totally blind, losing the sight of one eye as a result of neuralgia. To his great relief, his sight seemed to be restored until the winter of 1902, since which time he has again been afflicted. He has always been a man of physical activity, and this affliction has been hard to bear. Politically, a stalwart Democrat, he has never consented to accept office.

Samuel Sparks' first wife was Lydia Lewis, whom he married in 1856. She was a daughter of Jesse Lewis, of Monroe County, Missouri. She died in 1862, aged 22 years, leaving four children, of whom the two survivors are Oliver Walker and Mary E., wife of Allen Thompson, of Cripple Creek, Colorado. The second marriage was to Mary C. Adams, who was a daughter of James Adams. She died in 1878, leaving three children, of whom the two survivors are,—Lulie V., wife of Lafayette Roe, of Galena; and Edmund L., of Shawnee township. Both wives were members of the Baptist Church. In 1883, Samuel Sparks was married to Mrs. Mary Ann (Horne) Stanley, who died in 1890. In 1892, he was married to the lady who is his present helpmeet, Mrs. Mary M. Stoops, a daughter of Samuel W. Robinson, of Joplin, Missouri.

The subject of this sketch was eight years old when his parents moved to Joplin, and he has been interested in mining ever since he reached the age of 11 years. Shortly after the family located at Galena, he went to mining in what is known as the Sawyer mines, and was the first man to find mineral on the old Schermerhorn place. These mines have made Galena. For about seven years Mr. Sparks had a lease here, and at the same time was associated with W. Sapp and H. Blackford when mineral was found on "The Lost 40." In the following year they found ore at the "Shelbina," which they worked several years and then sold. With John Murdock, Mr. Sparks owned the famous "Maggie Murphy," and has also owned the noted "Cock Robin" mine. With E. B. Schermerhorn and J. C. Moore, he owned the "Bunco" mines. and with his brother, Edward, the "Bessie Lee." Later with Wesley Best and J. Tutton, he was part owner of the "Miller" and "Gin Hollow" mills and mines, these being considered the best mills in the country. He was also associated with L. H. Winter in the ownership of the "Hot Spot" mine, and a fine mill connected with it. In 1891, Mr. Sparks sunk three shafts in the S. H. & S. Case. which are the best in which he has ever been interested. In June, 1902, the Sparks, Henderson & Sweaney Company was incorporated, with Mr. Sparks as general manager, and he is the main stockholder. This company controls a large territory. In addition to his large mining interests, Mr. Sparks is proprietor of a large retail furniture store in Columbus, the oldest and largest concern of the kind in that city.

Mr. Sparks has long been one of the leading Democratic politicians of the county, and holds the unusual record of being twice elected sheriff, in one year, as he was serving in that capacity at the time the act was passed changing elections to even years. While living at Galena he served four years in the city council. On December 15, 1897, he took up his residence at Columbus, and in the same year was elected sheriff, assumed the duties in the following January, and served five years.

Mr Sparks was first married to Ida May Keller, who was a daughter of Wesley and Lydia (Decamp) Keller. Four children were born to them, the three survivors being,—Dottie, Una and Warren. On June 26, 1903, Mr. Sparks was married to Brosie Newton, who is a daughter of Wallace Newton, of Columbus, and they have one son,—Oliver Wallace

Fraternally, the subject of this sketch is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Elks, at Galena; the Odd Fellows, at Empire City. in which he has passed all the chairs; the Rebekahs; the Modern Woodmen of America, at Galena; and the Royal Neighbors.

Graham County.

1880. A. E. Moses, sheriff.

1883-1886, Willis Ellsworth, sheriff.
1887-1890, D. C. Stotts, sheriff.
1891-1894, Jerome Shoup, sheriff.
1895-1898, D. C. Greenwood sheriff.
1899-1903, D. M. Smith, sheriff.


1858, T. R. Roberts, sheriff.

Crawford County.

*1899 & 1902. MICA G. VINCENT, sheriff.
Wife: Jessae L. Hursh.
*To read more about him and his wife use this link ( Photos).

Stevens County.

*1886. Adam Pierce Ridenour, sheriff
*To read more about him use this link ( Photo).

Gray County.

1889. D. Welborn Barton, sheriff.
To read more about him take this link.


1886. George F. Eckert & Thomas G. McAuliffe, sheriff.
1887. George F. Eckert & E. B. Summers, sheriff.
1891. A. J. Byrns & Geo. B. Allen, sheriff.
1893. S. D. Adams & Richard Buis, sheriff.
1895. S. D. Adams & Geo. W. Potter, sheriff.
1897. F. C. Judd & A. J. Byrns, sheriff.

Republic County.


1868 Robert H. Vining.
1869 William H. Willoughby.
1871 William W. Newlon.
1873 & 1875, Josiah Kindt.
1877 William Norris.
1879 & 1881, Josiah Kindt.
1883 Robert Swan.
1885 & 1887, Thomas C. Reily.
1889 & 1891, Henry C. Swartz.
1893 & 1895, Richard B. Ward.
1897 & 1899, Frank N. Brown

Gove County.

1860. N. E. Terrill, sheriff.
1880. Robert C. Bohn, sheriff.
1882. E. T. Lewis, sheriff.
1887. Gust Anderson, sheriff.
1887. John W. Hopkins, sheriff.


*1887.Charles E. MORRIS, sheriff.
*To read more about him take this link.

Harvey County.

Ryan, James - James Ryan, ex-sheriff of Harvey County, died this morning at 7:15 o'clock at his home in Halstead, after an illness of several weeks. Mr. Ryan was born in 1840 and located in Halstead township in 1871. He was at one time sheriff of Harvey County. The funeral services will be held Monday at 10:00 o'clock a.m. in the Catholic Church. The body will be buried in the Halstead cemetery. (The Newton Kansan, May 9, 1908. Page 4).

Crawford County.

1867. J. M. Ryan, sheriff.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Men Of The Kansas State Militia.

William F. Osborn .

Kansas State Militia
William Cutler wrote the following about this gentleman:

HON. W. F. OSBORN, farmer, Section 8, Lane Township, P. O. Virgil, was born in 1827 in Davis County, Ind., and in 1842 removed to Buchanan County, Mo., where he remained engaged in farming until his removal to Kansas in 1857, locating upon his present farm May 9, the above year. He experienced all the vicissitudes of the early settler in this State at that period, and during the first years of his residence here, and until after the war was a member of the State Militia. He is now the oldest settler in Lane Township. In 1869, he was elected Representative to the State Legislature, continuing in office until 1871, and again filling the same office in 1880-81-82. He was married in 1849, to Miss Mary Barns. Of the children of this union three survive, viz.; George Henry, who was born in 1852; Sarah F. (who is now Mrs. J. S. McCoin), born in 1854, and William r., born in 1860. All the above now reside in Oregon. Mrs. Osborn died in November, 1860, and in 1862, Mr. Osborn married Miss Sarah F. Smith. They have one child living, Clara, who was born in December, 1864. Mr. Osborn's farm contains 300 acres, of which 154 are under cultivation, and has always been exceptionally productive. In former years he dealt extensively in cattle and other live stock. The farm residence is a fine two-story building, with a porch and balcony, and is situated in the center of a spacious lawn, which is ornamented with several fine evergreens and shade trees. At a short distance in rear of the house is the orchard, containing about 600 assorted fruit trees. Mr. Osborn was one of the first Board of County Commissioners, and served as such for six years. He has always been a stanch Republican, and is one of the most prominent men in the community.

William E. McGinnis.

Co. K, 5th Kansas Cavalry
Co. H, 11th Kansas State Militia

Enlisted as a Lieutenant 1st Class on 21 August 1861
Mustered Out on 9 February 1862

William McGinnis also participated in the actions precipitated by Sterling Price's 1864 raid through Missouri (Battle of Westport) and Kansas (Battle of Mine Creek). His service with the 11th Kansas State Militia at that time is why his tombstone is marked with unit designation. However, records for the Kansas State Militia were not as well preserved as they might have been and no record of his service with the Militia has been found.

Biographical Sketch form William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, first published in 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL

William E. McGinnis, real estate agent, was born in Vigo County, Ind., June 27, 1835. At an early age removed to Vermillion county, Ind., where he was partially reared. Resided several years in Edgar County and other portions of Illinois. In 1856, with parents and other members of his family came to Kansas, settling in Coffey County, being among the early settlers there. At the breaking out of the war enlisted in the Fifth Kansas Cavalry, serving as Lieutenant for eight months. During the border difficulties contributed his assistance toward the Fre-soil cause. After the war located in Hartford, Lyon County; subsequently he was engaged in stock raising in Linn and Cherokee counties. For a few years resided in Joplin, Mo., where he was engaged in mining. In 1879 came to El Dorado, engaging in the real estate business. For three years was Justice of the Peace. Mr. McGinnis has been twice married; first in 1860, to Miss R. F. Hunt, of Kansas (now deceased); by this marriage has one daughter--Lucretia F. In 1866, Miss Liddie J. Bacon became his wife. They have two children--William H. and Ira E. He is a member of the G. A. R.

Alexander G. Seaman.

Hon. Alexander G. Seaman resides on the west half of section 26, township 19, range 22, and is one of the well known farmers of Liberty Township, Linn County. His residence in this county dates from 1860, although he resided in Kansas for two years previous to his advent in Linn County. During the period of more thirty years that he made his home here, he has, while materially promoting his own interests and gaining a competency, also advanced the welfare of his community. At the time of coming to Kansas he had only $4 in cash and was in debt to the amount of $15 but through untiring perseverance and good management he has been greatly prospered.

Born in Chemung County, N. Y., January 2, 1835, our subject is the son of Chauncey and Margaret (Glenn) Seaman, both natives of the Empire State. The Seaman family is of English extraction, but has been represented in the United States for several generations. The grandfather of our subject, Andrew Seaman, was a native of New York, where he followed the trade of tailor, and also engaged in farming. During the War of the Revolution he was a soldier in the defense of the Colonies, and drew a pension from the Government for his services. His home was for many years in Schenectady County, N. Y., where he died at the age of ninety-six.

One of a family of twelve children, Chauncey Seaman was born in October, 1807. He was reared as a farmer, and for a time engaged in teaching school. After his marriage he resided for a few years in Chemung County. His wife died a few years after their union, leaving two children: Andrew, a resident of Whiteside County, Ill., and Alexander G., of this sketch. He married a second time, and of that union one child was born, Stephen, a resident of LaCygne, Kan. In 1850 Chauncey Seaman emigrated to Illinois and resided in Whiteside County until 1863, meanwhile clearing some land and improving a farm. Coming to Kansas in 1863, he purchased a half-section of land near Parker, and here he remained until his death, which occurred in 1867.

In his political belief, Chauncey Seaman was in early life a Free-Soil Democrat, and in 1860 supported Stephen Douglas, but he subsequently acted with the Republican party. At the time of his death he was filling the position of Justice of the Peace, which was the only office he ever held. However, he was always active in the support of his party’s principles, and gave his influence in behalf of its candidates. He was a man of firm convictions upon all subjects of importance, and through his upright life and conscientious dealings with all, he gained the esteem of his large circle of associates.

Orphaned in infancy by the death of his mother, our subject was taken into the home of his grand-parents and by them tenderly cared for until his father’s second marriage. He was reared on al farm, and in addition to becoming familiar with agriculture in its various departments, he also learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner. In 1850 he emigrated to Illinois, and resided in Whiteside County until he came to Kansas in 1858, making the journey to this state with an ox-team, and spending two months en route. He stopped first at Burlingame, Osage County, where he pursued his trade. In 1860 he came to Linn County, and resided on the land owned by his father until 1864. He then purchased one hundred and sixty acres of unimproved land, to which he has since added until he is now the owner of three hundred and twenty valuable acres. Here he engages in general farming and stock-raising, and buys and sells stock extensively. His farm is embellished with all the attributes of a first-class estate, and the residence is one of the most attractive in the township.

In 1858 occurred the marriage of Mr. Seaman to Miss Elizabeth Klingaman, and four children have been born of the union: Margaret, wife of R. W. Nungesser; Chauncey, who resides in Sedgwick City, Kan.; Amelia, Mrs. William Hockenberry, who lives with her parents; and Emma, wife of Henry Adams, of Pueblo, Colo. Formerly a member of the state militia, Mr. Seaman was caller out into active service several times during the Civil War, and took part in the battle of Westport. In politics he is a Republican. In 1874 he was elected Treasurer of Linn County and held the office for the term of two years. He has been Trustee of his township several terms, and in 1869 represented his district in the State Legislature. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Knight Templar, and is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Before the village of Parker was founded Mr. Seaman conducted a general store for three years, and also had a postoffice here. When the railroad passed through Parker he sold his business to the first merchant in the town. For about ten years he conducted a nursery business on his farm, and for five years, he was connected with a nursery at LaCygne. His nursery was the first in this part of the county and was started by Mr. Bishop during the Civil War.

Hugh H. Morrison.

Co. G, 15th KS. State Militia
A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written & compiled by William E. Connelley, 1918

HUGH H. MORRISON. The history of Salina from beginning to the present time was like an open book to Hugh H. Morrison, who went to that section of Kansas when it was far out on the frontier and before Kansas had become a state of the Union. For over fifty-five years he lived there, and the farm which he once cultivated has gradually been absorbed within the city limits of Salina. His was a prominent part in connection with the various movements and events of Salina's early history.

Mr. Morrison was born August 8, 1836, in a log house on a farm in Ohio County, Indiana. His parents were Rev. A. A. and Nancy C. (Beaty) Morrison. His grandfather was Rev. I. S. Morrison, a native of Virginia. Rev. A. A. Morrison was born in North Carolina February 24, 1808. In 1830 the family moved out to Indiana. Rev. A. A. Morrison was a graduate of Knoxville College in Tennessee and spent his active career as a Presbyterian preacher. He did pastoral and missionary work in Indiana and Ohio, and in 1860 came to Kansas. He was the first Presbyterian minister to hold services in Salina. From pioneer times he did a splendid work in carrying on the cause of religion in that section of Kansas, and his death occurred at Salina October 20, 1884. In 1835 Rev. A. A. Morrison married Miss Nancy C. Beaty, who was born in Pennsylvania July 5, 1812, a daughter of Hugh and Margaret Beaty, both natives of Pennsylvania and of Irish descent. Mrs. Morrison died at Salina, Kansas, March 20, 1864. She was also a life-long member of the Presbyterian faith. They had six children, two sons and four daughters: Hugh H.; Joseph, who died when six years of age; Sarah Margaret, now deceased; Nancy E., widow of Robert Crawford; Marietta, who is unmarried and lives at Salina; Myra, widow of Perry Rittgers of Salina.

As a boy Hugh H. Morrison had the restricted advantages given to the American youth in the pioneer conditions prevailing, in the middle states seventy or eighty years ago. In 1859 he came out to the Territory of Kansas, arriving at Salina on the 14th of October. He located on a Government homestead adjoining Salina, and he kept his residence in that one locality until his death, which occurred on the 28th of May, 1917. Mr. Morrison opened the first meat market at Salina. He furnished meat to the contractors who built the Union Pacific Railway through Northern Kansas. For a number of years he operated a dairy on his farm, and continued farming and dairying until the encroaching city spread over his land and made it too valuable for agricultural purposes.

Mr. Morrison was a charter member of the First Presbyterian Church, which was organized May 12, 1860, and of which his father was the first minister. Mr. Morrison was the first justice of the peace in Saline County. He was appointed to that office by the governor for the primary purpose of swearing in the first set of county officials. In 1861 he himself was elected county clerk of Saline County, but did not qualify for the office. Another distinction that gives him a place in the early annals of Salina is that he taught the first public school of the county. This was in 1863-64. He also did his part as an early settler along the frontier and was an honored veteran of the Civil war.

He served as a private in Company G of the Kansas State Militia, Fifteenth Regiment, all his service being against the Indians along the frontier. He was an honored member of John A. Logan Post, No. 127, Grand Army of the Republic, at Salina, and for a number of years filled the place of chaplain. Mr. Morrison was twice married. April 2, 1862, he married Miss Rebecca S. Elwell. She was born in Washington County, Illinois, July 28, 1840. To their union were born the following children: Nancy M., deceased; Nellie; Mary, deceased; Anna, deceased; John A.; Henry H., who was killed in battle in the Philippine Islands as a member of Company M, Twentieth Kansas Infantry, under Gen. Fred Funston; Fred E.; Myra; Bessie and George. On December 2, 1913, Mr. Morrison married Mrs. Abigail M. Muir, widow of James Muir, and daughter of Henry and Mary (Lyons) Wilcox. Mrs. Morrison was born on Broome Street in New York City, November 9, 1839, and is of English and Irish lineage.

David Condit.

Looks Like Co. B, 56th MO. State Militia
The La Cygne Weekly Journal, Friday, March 6, 1908, Pg 5

Obituary of David Condit.

David Condit was born July 8, 1818, in Washington county, Penn., and died February 22, 1908 aged 89 years, 7 months and 14 days. His early life wa s spent in Washington county. His father moved from Pennsylvania to Crawford county, Ohio, in 1839. On January 27, 1842 he was married to Mary J. Black of Richland county, Ohio. In 1852 they moved from Ohio to Holt county, Mo. and from there to Iowa in 1857 and in 1861 moved back to Holt county, Mo. In 1868 moved to Richardson county, Neb. And in 1879 moved to Brown county, Kansas. Mary J. Condit, his wife died July 25, 1889 and was buried in the Hiawatha cemetery, Brown county, Kansas. Since the death of his wife he has made his home with his daughter, Permelia E. Danner. David Condit was a blacksmith, kept a show. David and Mary J. Condit first united with the Baptist church at Bloominggrove, Ohio, and always kept their membership in that church. To David and Mary Condit were born 7 children, 5 deceased and 2 living—Jonas B. Condit, of Arkansas City, Kansas, and Permelia E. Danner, of La Cygne, Kas.

The history of the Condits was written by Jotham and Eben Condit of Oeward, N. J. and it is from 1678 to 1908. John Condit came to America from England 1678, with his son Peter and settled at Newark, N. J. John Condit died in 1713. John Condit, Knight, married in England, Catherine Barton, who was a niece of Sir Isaac Newton, with whom they resided during his life of Sir Isaac, and inherited his estate. He succeeded Sir Isaac, also as Master and Warden of the Mint, England and he died Jan. 20, 1739. This estate at Kensington descended to the Earl of Portsmouth.

John Condit’s son, Peter came to America with his father in 1678 and settled at Newark, N. J. died in 1714. Philip, Peter Condit’s son born in 1709 at Newark, died 1801. His son Jabez was born in Morris county, N. J. 1739, died 1804. His son Jonas was born at Morristown, N. J. and died in 1836 in Licking county, Ohio. Jonas’ son, Isaac was born in 1796 in Morris county, N. J. and died in 1840 at Bucyrus, Ohio. Isaac’s son, David was born July 8, 1818 in Washington county, Penn., died Feb. 22, 1908 and was buried in the Oak Lawn cemetery at La Cygne,

John James Ingalls.

Judge Advocate and Aide with rank of Major to Gen. George W. Deitzler, of the Volunteer State Militia
William Cutler wrote the following about this gentleman:

HON. JOHN J. INGALLS, is a citizen of Kansas since October 4, 1858, and of Atchison for the past twenty-one years, made his first home in the territory in the new town of Sumner, just started a few miles below Atchison. The town proved a failure, town shares in a few years being obtained "without money and without price, and would not command ten dollars a dozen. " So wrote one of the early settlers of Sumner. In the summer of 1859, then less than a year in the Territory, Mr. Ingalls was elected Delegate from Atchison County to the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention, being at that time in his twenty-sixth year, and, according to the testimony of one present, "a comely youth to look upon," as well as "the recognized scholar of the convention. " In 1860, Mr. Ingalls was Secretary of the Territorial Council; in 1861, Secretary of the State Senate, and in 1862, State Senator from Atchison County.

In September, 1863, in company with Albert H. Horton, he leased the Atchison Champion, editing the paper until the return of Col. Martin from the army, January, 1865. He was nominated for Lieutenant Governor by the Republican Union State Convention of 1862-63, and, as the "anti-Lane" candidate, was defeated. He was elected United States Senator to succeed S. C. Pomeroy taking his seat March 4, 1873, and at the expiration of his term of service, was re- elected to the same office, January 21, 1879. Senator Ingalls is the son of Elias Theodore and Eliza Chase Ingalls, and a lineal descendant of Edmund Ingalls, an English Puritan, who with his brother Francis emigrated from Yorkshire in 1628, and the following year founded the town of Lynn, in Massachusetts. He was born in Middletown, Mass., December 29, 1833, graduated at William College, in 1855; studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1857; emigrated to the territory of Kansas a year later, and devoting all his energy of mind and soul to her interests, is now thoroughly identified with the political, juristic and literary history of his adopted State.

After locating in Atchison, Mr. Ingalls conscientiously devoted himself to his professional duties, finding meantime recreation and rest for himself, and giving unbounded satisfaction and pleasure to others, by writing occasional articles for publication, which Kansans think of to-day with a feeling of exhilaration. The name of Senator Ingalls is thoroughly identified with the best literature of the State, and his readers will never forget the pleasure derived from his magazine essays and sketches. During the war, Mr. Ingalls was Judge Advocate and Aide with rank of Major to Gen. George W. Deitzler, of the Volunteer State Militia, participating in the battles of Westport, Lexington and Independence, during the Price raid in the fall of 1864. He was married, September 27, 1865, at Atchison, to Anna Louisa, daughter of Hon. Mr. Chesebrough, a prominent merchant of New York City. Mr. Chesebrough removed with his family to Atchison in 1859, residing in that city until his death, which occurred in October, 1864. The children of Senator and Mrs. Ingalls, now living, are Ellsworth, Ethel, Ralph, Sheffield, Constance, Marion and Muriel.

Samuel Adams Drake.

Wyoming Cemetery, Melrose MA

Samuel Adams Drake was born and educated in Boston, Massachusetts. He went to Kansas in 1858 as telegraphic agent of the New York Associated Press, became the regular correspondent of the St. Louis "Republican " and the Louisville "Journal," and for a while edited the Leavenworth "Times." On the organization of the state militia at the beginning of the Civil War, Adams became Adjutant General of the Northern Division, and Captain of Militia in the service of the United States. He rose to the rank of Brigadier General of Militia in 1863, and in 1864 was Colonel of the 17th Kansas Volunteers, commanding the post of Paola, Kansas, during Price's invasion of Missouri in that year. In 1871, General Drake returned to Massachusetts. His first publication was "Hints for Emigrants to Pike's Peak " (a pamphlet, 1860). He later wrote "Old Landmarks of Boston" (1872), "Old Landmarks of Middlesex " (1873), "Nooks and Corners of the New England Coast" (1875), "Bunker Hill" (1875), "Captain Nelson" (1879), "History of Middlesex County, Mass." (1880), "Heart of the White Mountains" (1881), "Around the Hub" (1881), "New England Legends" (1883). "Our Great Benefactors" (1885), and "The Making of New England " (1886).

Mr. Drake's brother and father were also historians and prolific authors.

Alfred J. Marks.

Co. K, 27th Michigan Infantry
William Cutler wrote the following about this gentleman:

Alfred J. Marks was born in Moscow, Hillsdale Co., Mich., January 3, 1845, living there until 1863, when he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-seventh Michigan infantry, serving until the close of the war, first in Tennessee, and afterwards in the Army of the Potomac, taking part in the various battles in Virginia in the latter part of the war, receiving a wound at Spotsylvania Court House in 1864. After the close of the war he returned to Michigan working three years for the Detroit Street Car Company, and after that until 1871, was employed at the penitentiary at Jackson, Mich. He then moved to Kansas, locating at Council Grove, where he engaged in the transfer freight business, which he has since continued. In 1881, he, with his brothers also engaged in the livery business as stated above. He formed Company K, of Kansas State Militia, of which he was Duty Sergeant, and afterwards promoted to Orderly, Second and First Lieutenant respectively, resigning while holding the last named position. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. and S. K. of the same order at Council Grove, and of Wadsworth Post, G.A.R. at Council Grove. He was married at Council Grove, Kan., December 25, 1874, to Miss Jennie Moriarty. They have three children--Lloyd, Minnie and Henry.

Israel Beck.

William Cutler wrote this:

ISRAEL BECK, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Chard, native of Missouri, born in 1844. He is one of a family of six boys, his parents having ten children in all. In 1857 they emigrated to Kansas, coming into the State near Columbus, Cherokee County, and passing up through the Osage or Wasabites, as they called themselves, they arrived at the old Osage Mission. There was no other evidence of civilization until they passed an old cabin, occupied by a half-breed, about where the town of Erie now stands. Further north they came to a trading post, run by a man named Canville, who had a squaw wife. The Becks afterward traded there; going on they located on Coal Creek, three and one-half miles south of Humboldt.

Having good oxen they at once broke some forty acres, and gathered bountiful harvests, until the year of 1860, when the drouth drove them with their cattle south into Cherokee County, for water and grass. Israel, then six years of age, leaving school, went with them, but the spring of '61 opening early, they at once returned to the farm. In 1872 Mr. Beck bought 110 acres where he now farms, using it for pasture or range until 1875, when he moved onto it and made a farm. During the war Mr. Beck was in the Militia. In '63 his brothers J. M. and Phillip, were in the regular service. In '64 Mr. Beck commenced freighting for Mr. Bashaw, and was engaged at this until '69. Since opening his present farm he has done well. In '82, on a piece of bottom land, he raised twelve acres of corn, four of which yielded 105 bushels to an acre; the rest averaged eighty. In 1875 he married Miss McCabe. They have two children. Mr. Beck is a member of the Masonic order.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chet. Van Meter.

This news story has been published a number of times in books and Historical works, however there are a few folks working on this line who have not heard or read the story. So I have reprinted it here so they may have a chance to do so.

The Caldwell JOURNAL, November 22, 1883, reported:

A Man For Supper
Killed Because He Would Not Surrender.

On Wednesday, November 21, 1883, about supper time, C. M. Hollister and Ben. Wheeler drove up to the Leland Hotel in a spring wagon and lifted out the body of a man deposited it on one of the tables in the front basement of that house. When the body was laid out, we found it to be that of a young man apparently about 23 or 24 years of age, about five feet seven inches in height; dark complexion, smooth face, except a brown mustache, black hair, high forehead, narrow between the temples, a long straight nose, something after the Grecian style, with large nostrils; mouth fair size, with thin compressed lips. It was the body of Chet. Van Meter, son of S. H. Van Meter living near Fall Creek, in this township, about seven miles northwest of this city.

T. H. B. Ross, Justice of the Peace, immediately telegraphed for Coroner Stevenson and County Attorney Herrick. The former was out of town, but the latter came down on the night train, and this morning a corner’s jury was summoned, consisting of D. Leahy, Wm. Morris, S. Swayer, Wm. Corzine, John Phillips, E. H. Beals, and an inquest was held before Squire Ross.

We cannot give the testimony in detail, but the substance of it was to the effect that Chet. Van Meter had married the daughter of Gerard Banks, a widower living on a farm in Chikaskia township, about nine miles from town; that he was living with his father-in-law, and that on the night of the 20th he beat his wife. That he also, on that same night fired at J. W. Loverton and Miss Doty, threatening to kill them, and on the following morning had beaten his brother-in-law, Albert Banks, a boy about fifteen or sixteen years of age, and made threats that he would kill half a dozen of them in that neighborhood before he got through. Young Banks and Loverton came in on Wednesday and swore out a warrant for the arrest of Van Meter, before Squire Ross, stating the above facts, and the Justice deputized C. M. Hollister to serve it, at the same time telling him to get some one to go with him, and to go well armed, as, from the statement of the complainants, Van Meter was a dangerous man, and would likely resist a peaceable arrest.

With this understanding, Mr. Hollister requested Ben. Wheeler to accompany him, and about four o’clock in the afternoon the party started for the home of Mr. Banks. Arriving there it was ascertained that Chat had gone to his father’s, about five miles south. Driving over to Van Meter’s, they found Chet standing near the southeast corner of the house, with a Winchester in his hands. Wheeler and Hollister jumped out of the wagon, and the former ordered Chet to throw up his hands, and he did so, but he brought up his gun at the same time, and fired, apparently at Hollister, as near as the evidence went to show. Wheeler and Hollister fired almost simultaneously, but as Chet did not fall and attempted to fire again, they both shot the second time and he fell, dead. They then, with the assistance of Loverton and young Banks, loaded the body into the wagon, and brought it to town.

An examination of the body this morning by Dr. Noble disclosed the fact that it had seven bullet holes in it, one evidently made by a large ball, entering the right side between the second and third ribs, passing through the lungs and liver and coming out between the ninth and tenth ribs. The other shots entered his chest, and one penetrated the abdomen just above the navel. There were also two gun shot wounds on each hand. The Winchester he had also showed marks where the buckshot from Hollister’s gun had struck it.

The examination of the witnesses closed at 3 o’clock, when the jury retired, and after a short absence returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased came to his death from gunshot wounds at the hands of C. M. Hollister and Ben. Wheeler, while in the discharge of their duties as officers of the law, and that the killing was not felonious.

After the verdict was rendered the body was turned over to S. M. Van Meter, father of the deceased, who had it encased in a coffin and took home for burial.

And thus the latest, and we trust the last, sensation incident to border life in the Souther Kansas has ended.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Kansas Shootings and Murders.

On August 25, 1867, Richard Bump and Vincent Davis were assaulted on Upton creek, the former was killed, shot down by parties from the opposite side of the creek discharging a load of shot into the body of the man, whom it was supposed the assailants had taken for other parties who were peddling goods through the country. Davis was also wounded but not fatally, and taking the lines from his dead companion drove to the Elk creek settlement. The murderers were pursued, captured and brought back to Elk creek, where they were given a preliminary trial before J.N. Hagaman, the father of J.M. Hagaman, and were held for murder. But they were not permitted to live for further justice, but were taken from the custody of the sheriff and ere the night had been spent were dangling from the limb of a tree, dead.

The consensus of opinion was that these two Jewish peddlers, Edward Zachareas and Richard Kennup, had been lying In wait for two other parties who also had wares to sell, and mistook Bump and Davis, who were good citizens just returning from a buffalo hunt, for the men they had been lying in wait for, for two days. Money was their supposed object.

On July 11, 1868, J.N. Hagaman was murdered by William Harman, After some litigation over a calf they had agreed to settle the matter of ownership by turning the cow into the herd on the principal that the calf would find its mother. J.N. Hagaman, who was herding the cattle on the Thorp place, had received orders to not let any of them go as the deputy sheriff, Bowen, had come to take them, and had deputized Harmon to go with him to attach the cattle in accordance with the decision of the court. An eye witness related to the author that after skirmishing a few moments while on their ponies, he saw Harmon ride up to a fence and pick up a club that almost seemed made for the occasion. His assailant struck Mr. Hagaman over the head with this weapon, killing him almost instantly. After a number of trials and the lapse of a number of years the case was dropped.

Harmon with his wife lived at Manhattan and while he was supposed to be incarcerated had his freedom. The result of his crime going unpunished was a laxness of the law in those days, when people seemed a law of themselves.

The Carmichael murder case occurred at Glasco, Marsh 7, 1872. Carmichael was a cattle man who lived at Abilene, but had been wintering stock near Glasco. He with his herder, Lewis, became involved in a quarrel with David and Hamilton Dalrymple, over some feed, and met in Glasco to arbitrate the trouble, imbibed too freely and the result was a fight, with a deplorable sequel. David Dalrymple was shot through the heart and expired instantly and Hamilton Dalrymple received a wound in the knee.
Carmichael received wounds from which he died a week later. Lewis was shot through the neck, but recovered. A bystander by the name of Worden, received a gunshot wound in the shoulder

George D. Bennett, County Assessor in 1861, but later a notorious horse thief, was caught and hung near Wathena on Sunday, August 14, 1864. His depredations in connection with a gang of thieves and murderers had been numerous and aggravating. He committed an outrage during the winter of 1863-4, barely escaping being caught by leaving the state. When he fled his wife remained at Elwood. A few days before his final capture he was seen lurking around his place. The citizens, determined to make him pay the penalty, found him in his hiding place in a hay mow, and took him to Wathena, where preparations were made to hang him. He proposed if the men would not hang him, he would tell where a valuable stallion, that had been stolen from a Mr. Rogers, could be found. He attempted to escape but was shot and severely wounded by four or five bullets. There was no delay, he was strung up at once and left hanging for some time. On the following day his remains were buried in Bellemont cemetery.

In 1872 Charles Brinton came, and purchased the D. C. Coleman claim east of Almena. Brinton was the man who killed Cross, a suspected horse-thief. Cross came about the same time that Brinton did. Just before the Fourth of July, 1872 Cross rode to Hays, a distance of 100 miles to get some provisions and when he came back he had a different horse saying that he had traded. Nothing was thought of this until the fifth of July when a stranger came to Jim Hall's place looking for a stolen horse which corresponded with the one that Cross had said he traded for. When the came Cross was not at home so they went looking for him, and, when Cross saw the four men coming for him, all armed, he began to run and was not seen until July seventh, when Mrs. Hall saw him in the timber near the house. C. Brinton and Walter McGavan got their guns and started after him and found him in a tree and Brinton shot him down, shooting him fifteen times before he died. Cross was well liked and Brinton had but few sympathizers, and what few friends he had, soon deserted him and he left the county in 1877. His whereabouts was never known. It has been said that he spent the last years of his life in an insane asylum at Lincoln, Nebraska, but this was never verified.

John Landis was born in Allen county, Kentucky, October 28, 1827. He was a veteran of the Civil War. He came to Norton county in 1872 and homesteaded on the Solomon near where Edmond now stands. Landis was always active in political happenings of the county, and while he had a host of friends, no public man is without enemies, and he was no exception.

On September 2, 1878, Mr. Landis was shot in the back while talking to an emigrant. The assassin was hidden in a clump of willows a few yards away. He died September 4, 1878. J. E. Morris who was coroner at that time, empaneled the following jury: W. P. Crevlin, E. Fisher, Dey Smith, John Diffenbach, John W. Bieber, F. M. Duvall. They brought in a verdict that John Landis had been shot and killed by parties unknown to them, but recommended the arrest of Dr. Wm. Cummings and Henry Grandy. William Hepler made the complaint charging them with the murder. The same day Major Dannevik made the same complaint against E. R. Worthington. Worthington proved an alibi and was dismissed. No attention was paid to his arrest as it was not thought at the time that he was the guilty one. Grandy was arrested but Cummings escaped. Grandy's trial lasted from Sept. 27 until October 3. Over 100 witnesses were examined, but the case was dismissed on account of lack of evidence. All during the trial feeling ran high against Cummings and about 65 of his friends, and enemies of Landis, were seen on the Solomon, and when Jack and Pat Conarty went after him his friends refused to surrender him until I. N. Cope and J. W. Langford came to Norton and secured an agreement from J. R. Hamilton, Wm. Simpson and W. E. Case that Cummings should not be mobbed.

Cummings preliminary was held and he was discharged because of lack of evidence.

During his trial his friends were present, armed to the teeth, and about 50 colored friends of Landis (because Landis was a personal friend of John Brown in the Border warfare) attended the trial, all armed, to see that the murderer did not get away unfairly. County Attorney Beaumont was assaulted after working until midnight on the case during the trial. He was struck in the back with a rock; he fell, and his assailants, believing him killed, ran away. The same day Justice Oliver, who presided at the preliminary, was warned that he would be killed, but nothing of the kind happened. In May 1880, M. W. Pettigrew then had Dr. Cummings rearrested upon complaint of T. D. LaRue, because of the discovery of new evidence, but at the trial LaRue did not appear. The jury disagreed and the next term of court the case was dismissed, thus ending one of the most exciting murder trials in Western Kansas.

Charles Manus was shot by Wyatt in 1879. The trouble started over the Landis Murder. Manus was a friend of Landis and Wyatt a friend of Dr. Cummings, and there was some argument over the trial. The next day they met and quarreled and after leaving Manus, Wyatt turned and shot Manus in the back of the neck killing him instantly.
Wyatt was convicted of murder in the first degree in 1880 and sent to prison, where he died. Wyatt was the first murderer sent to the penitentiary from Norton county.

On December 8, 1884, A. W. Ashcraft, a constable, attempted to arrest one Voght, at Humboldt. on a warrant charging him with violation of the liquor law. Voght resisted arrest and was killed. Ashcraft was exonerated.

On November 23, 1885, J. W. Browning shot and killed A. A. Earle in front of what is now the Hotel Thomson in Iola. Earle lived at Bronson where Browning had been selling organs. Earle charged Brownin with the ruin of his daughter and forced him to come with him to Iola to be delivered over to the officers to stand trial for the crime. From the Iola depot they drove to the hotel in an omnibus. Earle got out first, and as he did so Browning shot him twice, killing him instantly. Browning was tried and acquitted, claiming self-defense. He immediately left the State and has not since been heard of by any of his old associates.
On July 9, 1896, the body of Della Hutchison, a young girl, was found in a pond some miles east of Humboldt, nude and shockingly mutilated. Jacob S. Rogers, a farmer living near, was convicted of the murder, the testimony showing that he was the father of the girl's unborn child, the concealment of the lesser crime being the motive for the perpetration of the greater one. Rogers was sentenced to a term of twenty-one years in the penitentiary.

On July 4, 1898, Byron Cushman was shot and killed by J. W. Bell at Humboldt. Both of the men were said to have been intoxicated. Bell was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to the penitentiary for ten years.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

William Norton & Amos Norton

Mr. William S. Norton was born in Edgar County, Illinois, July 26, 1844. His father was Amos Norton. At the age of seventeen, about the time the war broke out in 1861, he left school to enlist in Company A of the Independent Mounted Rangers, and his first service with this organization was to act as a bodyguard to the governor of the State of Missouri. Later his company was organized in the Fourteenth Missouri Cavalry, and later he veteranized and became a part of the Eighth Missouri Cavalry. With these different organizations Mr. Norton spent more than four years following the flag of the Union and was mustered out at Little Rock, Arkansas, in September, 1865, under order No. 171.

While the great theatre of the war was east of the Mississippi, it is certain that no service was attended with greater hardships and more constant danger than came to those who followed the Union flag in the southwestern country of Missouri, Arkansas and the Indian Territory. Mr. Norton was at the Battle of Carthage, July 5, 1861; at the decisive engagement of Wilson Creek, at Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, Helena and Poison Springs, Arkansas, and in a number of other minor battles of the campaign in those two states. For ninety-three days and nights he and his comrades were under fire at Four Corners, Arkansas, a point where the states and territories of Arkansas, Missouri, Indian Territory and Kansas adjoin. This engagement followed the Battle of Pea Ridge. During a charge of cavalry at Springfield, Missouri, he was slightly wounded by a saber cut.

Amos Norton, a native of Mount Vernon, Ohio, where he was born in 1826. He arrived in Kansas in 1854 at Fort Scott. He homesteaded a claim there. After working his land for two years, he removed to Buffalo, Dallas County, in Southwestern Missouri. In that rough and rugged district of Missouri he spent his summers in farming and followed the carpenter trade in the winter months. When the war broke out Amos Norton quickly showed his stand for the Union cause. He lived in a part of Missouri where Union sentiment could not be spoken without the hazard of personal danger, but in spite of that he enlisted in February, 1862, in Company B of the Fourteenth Missouri Cavalry. He was elected lieutenant of his company and was soon afterward appointed quartermaster. He was mustered out of this organization in February, 1863, and was soon afterward appointed colonel of the Eleventh Missouri Cavalry. On April 2, 1863, he was captured by a band of guerillas headed by John Turner, and as nothing further of his fate was ever learned it is probable that he was put to death by his captors in Southwest Missouri.

This is just a part of William S. Norton biography, those whishing to read his full biography can do so by taking this link. http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1918ks/bion/nortonws.html

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Battle of the Little & Big Blue.

Battle of LITTLE BLUE.

General Price did not reach the Little Blue until the morning of the 21st of October. Because of the attitude of Governor Carney, General Curtis did not intend that any general engagement should be fought there. The Eleventh Kansas had been left at the crossing with orders to detain the enemy as long as it could do so with safety, then burn the bridge and retire in the direction of Independence. Colonel Moonlight's resistance was much more stubborn than had been expected of him. He held the line as long as possible, setting the bridge on fire and falling back slowly only when Price's cavalry had appeared in force on both his flanks. At this juncture General Blunt came on the field with reinforcements and made an effort to halt the advance of General Price. A part of the field taken from Moonlight was regained. General Curtis and General Lane both went to the front, but Curtis was induced to return to Independence.

All that day Price was slowly pushing Blunt back, and it required almost his entire army to do it. General Blunt had but thirty-five hundred men of all arms - perhaps not so many. They hugged fences, sought skirts of timber, utilized ditches and highways, and stood behind stone walls. For some time the Eleventh Kansas was out of ammunition and held its position by defiant cheers. Two miles back from the Little Blue a stand was made at the Massey farm. There the Eleventh was fiercely attacked, lost a number of men, and Major Ross had a horse killed. While supplying the Major with another horse, Captain B. F. Simpson saw Plumb with a company of skirmishers far out in advance of the battle-line. A strong position was taken at the Saunders farm, three miles west of Massey's and this was held until night.

From this point General Blunt sent Lane to Independence to tell Curtis that the Big Blue would have to be the line on the 22d Late at night the Union forces crossed the Big Blue and took position in such defensive works as had been constructed there. The line extended south from the Missouri River to Hickman's Mills along the west bank of the Big Blue River, although the main body of the army covered a space of some six miles only.

Note. This link will show you a map of the battle, this map can be enlarged.

Map of Battles of Little Blue, Big Blue & Westport


In 1864 Byram's Ford, on what is now Sixty-first Street, Kansas City, was the principal crossing on the Big Blue. It was the most important point held by the Union army, and it should have been guarded by a good soldier. By the intrigues then distracting the councils of the Army of the Border, Colonel C. R. Jennison, Fifteenth Kansas, had secured command of the First Brigade, and he was put in command of the troops defending Byram's Ford on the morning of the 22d of October. About noon he was attacked by a heavy force, and before three o'clock he was driven back. and lost the key to the Union position. His failure to hold Byram's Ford lost the day to General Curtis, as its capture turned the right flank of his army, crushed the right wing and caused it to take a now position just outside of Kansas City. General Price camped on the south side of Brush Creek, a small stream running east a mile south of Westport. The Eleventh Kansas was holding a ford above that guarded by Colonel Jennison. Seeing the Confederate army pouring through the gap made in the line by his defeat, and, knowing there was nothing to prevent its entering Kansas, Colonel Moonlight marched by double-quick to the State-line, south of Westport. There he formed to check the Confederate advance. Colonel Plumb, with four companies of the Eleventh Kansas, drove back Jackman's brigade, and did it in a manner that called forth compliments from all who saw it. It was dusk. In speaking of it many years later Colonel Moonlight said:

This charge was under the immediate command of Lieutenant-Colonel Plumb, of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, with one wing of the regiment, and it was one of the neatest and prettiest movements of the campaign. The charge was made with a line almost as straight as on dress parade, and with a dash and vim, the boys cheering as they flew along the prairie into the ranks of the enemy.

This charge was considered an event in the annals of the Eleventh Kansas, and is thus described by a Comrade of Colonel Plumb.

Jackman's brigade was marching through the gap and had to be stopped else the Confederate army would pour over the State-line into Kansas. To check this advance was now the work of the Eleventh Kansas. The Confederates marched steadily northwest until they came in view of the Eleventh. At that instant Colonel Plumb with four companies was beginning his advance towards the rebels. Seeing this the Confederates stopped short and formed a line of battle facing Plumb, who took his men across the State-line to a little valley, and when his men were directly opposite the enemy, he halted them, faced about, formed his line and charged up the hill, his men cheering and firing at will after the first volley. The flashes of Plumb's guns were like fireflies on a damp night in summer. Jackman's brigade was swept from the field, and no further attempt was made by the enemy in that quarter.

Here is a list of the men of the 11th., that were either wounded or killed at the battle of the Blue.

11th Regiment Kansas Volunteers--Cavalry.

Company A.

George W. Edwards, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company A., enlisted July 22, 1863, mustered in same day, home Easton. Killed in action, Oct. 21, '64, Little Blue, Mo.

Company B.

James B. Kyle, Sergeant, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company B., enlisted Aug. 18, 1862, mustered in Aug. 30, 1862, home Holton. Killed in action, Oct. 21, '64, Little Blue, Mo.

William P. Cole, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company B., enlisted Dec. 30, 1863, mustered in Jan. 20, 1864, home Leavenworth. Killed in action Oct. 21, '64, Little Blue, Mo.

Company D.

William C. Todd, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company D., enlisted Aug. 25, 1862, mustered in Sept. 13, 1862, home Oskaloosa. Died Dec. 3, '64, Independence, Mo., of wounds rec'd in action Oct. 22, '64., Little Blue, Mo.

Company F.

John H. Hydorn, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company F., enlisted Aug. 23, 1862, mustered in Sept. 11, 1862, home Garnett. Mustered out with company August 31, 1865; wounded in action Oct 22, '64, Little Blue, Mo.

Frederick Lochterman, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company F., enlisted Aug. 14, 1862, mustered in Sept. 11, 1862, home. Killed in action Oct. 21, '64, Little Blue, Mo.

Company H.

Philip Johnston, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company H., enlisted Aug. 18, 1862, mustered in Sept. 15, 1862, home Topeka. Must. out with company Sept. 13, '65; wounded in action Oct. 24, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

James Forsythe, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company H., enlisted Aug. 31, 1863, mustered in Nov. 10, 1863, home Tecumseh. Mustered out with company Sept. 13, 1865; W. in action, Sept. 26, 1863, Little Blue, Mo.

Company I.

John H. Crumb, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company I., enlisted Sept. 3, 1862, mustered in Sept. 15, 1862, home Burlingame. Promoted Corporal January 1, 1865; wounded in action October 21, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

Washington M. Elliott, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company I., enlisted Aug. 28, 1862, mustered in Sept. 15, 1862, home Grasshopper. Mustered out with company Sept. 26, 1865; W. in action Oct. 24, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

Daniel Weiser, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company I., enlisted Sept. 6, '1862, mustered in Sept. 15, 1862, home Grasshopper. Mustered out with company Sept. 26, 1865; W. in action Oct. 4, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

David M. Chapell, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company I., enlisted Aug. 2, 1864, mustered in Aug. 13, 1864, home Lawrence. Mustered out with company Sept. 26, 1865; W. in action, Oct. 21, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

Company K.

Henry Hoover, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company K., enlisted Aug. 28, 1862, mustered in Sept. 15, 1862, home Vienna. Mustered out with company Sept. 13, 1865; W. in action Oct. 21, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

Selden Smith, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company K., enlisted Aug. 26, 1862, mustered in Sept. 15, 1862, home St. George. Died of typhoid fever, Leavenworth, Kan., April 18, '65; W. in act'n, Oct. 21, '64, Little Blue, Mo.

Company M.

John C. Paine, Corporal, , 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company M., enlisted Feb. 22, 1864, mustered in same day, home Topeka. Killed in action Oct. 21, '64, Little Blue, Mo.

William Evans, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company M., enlisted March 26, 1864, mustered in March 31, 1864, home Lawrence. Died, October 25, 1864, Independence, Mo., of wounds received in action, Oct. 21, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

Joseph H. Jones, , Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company M., enlisted March 29, 1864, mustered in March 31, 1864, home Centropolis. Must. out on det. roll, Fort Leavenworth, Kan., July 14, 1865; wounded in action, October 21, 1864, Little Blue, Missouri.

William H. Lapham, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company M., enlisted March 27, 1864, mustered in same day, home Wabaunsee. Killed in action, October 21, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

Moses L. Thomas, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company M., enlisted Feb. 24, 1864, mustered in same day, home Chelsea. Killed in action, Oct. 21, '64, Little Blue, Mo.

Allen R. Wilson, , Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company M., enlisted Feb. 26, 1864, mustered in same day, home Centropolis. Mustered out with company Sept. 26, 1865; Wounded in shoulder in action Oct. 21, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

Walter H. Wiscombe, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company M., enlisted Feb. 26, 1864, mustered in same day, home Marion. Disc. for dis. Feb. 27, '65, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan., on account of wounds received in action, October 21, 1864, Little Blue, Missouri.

Frederick Whaley, Private, 11th, Kansas Cavalry, Company M., enlisted Feb. 29, 1864, mustered in same day, home Lawrence. Killed in action, October 21, 1864, Little Blue, Mo.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A History Of Junction City Businesses !860's-!870's

Have you ever wonder what your ancestor did for a living or wonder what the businesses in the town your ancestor came from looked like. Most of the time it’s fairly easy to find were he lived, but it always seems to be harder to find out what he did for a living. Those of you who had a family member living in Junction City Kansas, have a chance of finding out. I found this information very interesting and I believe you will too.

This business directory was written by W. F. Pride, in his book called; “The History Of Fort Riley, 1926.

East side of Washington street looking north.

On the 15th of May, 1866, the corner stone of the Trott Brothers building on Washington Street was laid and in it was placed a copy of the Junction City Union in a tin box. An issue of the Weekly Union of May 15, 1869, was selected by the writer ( W.F. Pride ) at random with the belife that the following advertisements of the various business and professional men of that date might be of interest.

The Great Western Billiard Rooms on Sixth Street ahd a large ad which the reader was informed that they had the “best kept tables in the city. House furnished with choicest brands of liquors, cigars, etc. Free lunch every night.” C. F. Carroll was the proprietor.

W. S. Blakely was Clerk of the District Court and C. H. Trott was Postmaster.

W. D. Knox advertised wagons for sale.

Blattner and Blakely sold reapers and mowers. Under the heading “Attorneys at Law” were White and Austin; S. B. White; Canfield, McClure and Claggett; Gilpatrick and Caswell; John Williams, and H. H. Snyder.

The Washington House was on the corner of Sixth and Washington, three doors from the land office and G. L. Patrick was the proprietor. ( The Bartell House was House was not opened Until January, 1879 ). The Hale House was across the street ehere the Bartell House is now Located. It was destroyed by fire in 1874 and was follwed by the Bartell House.

Alfred Pray was a Gunmaker. He sold and repaired guns, rifles, pistols, Wheeler and Wilson’s Sewing Machines ( the old reliable standby of those days ), melodeons, pianos and organs.

C. Smith we find a Wholesale Dealer in Wines and Liquors.” Keeps constantly on hand a superior article of old Burbon Whiskey. Also also all kinds of bottled Wines and Liquors.” Seventh Street, Junction City.

Wm. Lockstone was a dealer in confections, soda water, fruits, nuts, toys, musical instruments, etc. ( One might pause to wonder how extensive the sale of soda water was in those days ).

Peter Schimmer and Ernest Thiele were engaged in Furniture Upholstering and Cabinet Making on Seventh Street between Washing and Jefferson.

Horne and Jones, and W. Finlaw, M. D. were Physicians ans Surgeons. Dr. L. Hall was a Physician, Surgeon and Accoucher with his office in the Drug Store Building of Hall and Porter. W. J. Jackson was a Surgeon Dentist.

Stickney and Company, Successors to Latshaw, Quade and Company, were dealers in lumber, on Jefferson Street near Seventh.

Probably the oldest business in town that has continued unchanged is Sargent’s Drug Store, in these days (1926) the home of the “Coca-Cola Senate” where “Chief” Nicholson and other city fathers gather of an evening to settle the affairs of the town. W. W. Sargent moved to his new store on Washington Street in June, 1869. The firm named was W. W. Sargent and Company, Druggists, and the building was in the same location as the present one.

The B. Rockwell Company, Department Store, was established in 1865, and remained in business untill 1926. In March, 1889, their new store was opened in the building on the corner of Eighth and Washington where the firm recently went out of business. At the time of the opening of their store in 1889, the Weekly Union of March 16th states: “the Notions counter was presided over by Mrs. Wills and Mrs. Gaylord; the Boot and Shoe Department by Frank Brooks; Men’s Furnishings by George Faringhy, the Grocery Department was in charge of George A Rockwell, who had as assistants, M. L. Coryell, Harry Sawtelle, Harry Ellis, and August Rubin.”

P. Z. Taylor sold Mitchell’s Premium Wagons.

The New York Store, under the management of H. Ganz and Bro., slod Dry Goods and Notions and was located opposite the Park.

F. S. Mead and B. Harney were Merchant Tailors.

W. E. Sutliff and Company were deales in Ready Made Clothing, on Washington Street between Seventh and Eighth.

A. W. Callen, located one door north of the Hale House, and Gilbert were Grocers, while Walter Daly was a butcher and Provision Dealer.

The Bankers included: Hale and Company, Bamkers and Dealers in Exchange, Gold and Silver Coin and Gold Dust; Robert S. Miller; James Streeter and Company ( Streeter and Rizer).

There were no morticians, but John Gross advertised Furniture and Coffins.

Patterson and Hall were Hardware Dealers on Wiley’s Corner at Seventh and Washington.

McKenzie and Smith were metal workers and also sold stove and furniture.

Drechsel and Beeler apparently had the only Wagon Factory in town. This was on Seventh Street.
The only bakery advertised was New Bakery operated by H. P. Hynes, “Bakery family grocery and provisions.” It was located on Washington Street one door north of M. E. Clark’s new building.

Milton E. Clark ran a General Merchandies store advertised as the “Stone Store with the Iron Front,” on Washington Street.

Strickler, Hyatt and Company operated the Junction City Lime Works. “Fresh lime every three hours.”

Hall and Porter sold Condition Powers Drugs, etc.

The Scandinavian Line ( tourist ) had a local agent in the person of John P. Swenson.

B. Harvey was a wholesale and retail liquor dealer.

A. C. Pierce was apparently the only real estate dealer.

James Cormack wanted hauling to do.